Intra Workout Drink

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Anyone got ideas for a drink during workout.

I thought about whey or BCAA about 10 gms , and glucose or wms (15 gms).

Any other ideas welcome.

Thanks

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established

Any other ideas welcome.

Thanks
I go with 3 scoops Xtend, 3 scoops BCAAs, 2 scoops Poseidon.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established

Any other ideas welcome.

Thanks
Are ya looking for suggestions for a homebrew or a supp? If the latter, take a look at Universal's Intra-Aid. Per scoop, 8g of protein (PRO) from WPH, free form EAAs, 10g of carbs (CHO), plus electrolytes, beta alanine and other goodies.

Some feedback:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=20602
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/animal-universal/103777-intra-aid-my.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/animal-universal/107169-itra-aid-endurance.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/animal-universal/106003-intra-aid-storm.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/animal-universal/107365-more-intra-aid.html

Some logs:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/104324-sponsored-smeton-put.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/104618-my-new-gym.html

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a couple of favorite homebrews, in no particular order:

1serving Purple Wraath
10g BCAAs
18g Dex
18g Malto

or

1scoop Intra-Aid
12g Dex
12g Malto
8g Bcaa

Both are awesome and you could just use bulk EAA, BA and BCAA if you wanted (I'm actually doing something similar currently) but the brand name supps just taste so much better.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
I'd drink water during workout you need an insulin spike more post workout after all your carbs-glucose- has been used in exercise.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd drink water during workout you need an insulin spike more post workout after all your carbs-glucose- has been used in exercise.
There are studies that suggest a pre-workout and/or intra-workout insulin spike is actually better for increasing protein turnover than a post workout shake. These studies, however, did have flaws, as all do, but I would suggest giving intra-workout supplementation a try before discounting it. It has helped my performance, strength and energy levels while lifting tremendously.

Then, after your workout, you further replenish with a post-wo shake as usual.

Additionally, the amount of carbs ingested are not such that a huge insulin spike is caused - only enough to fuel and support your vigorous activity.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
There are studies that suggest a pre-workout and/or intra-workout insulin spike is actually better for increasing protein turnover than a post workout shake. These studies, however, did have flaws, as all do, but I would suggest giving intra-workout supplementation a try before discounting it. It has helped my performance, strength and energy levels while lifting tremendously.

Additionally, the amount of carbs ingested are not such that a huge insulin spike is caused - only enough to fuel and support your vigorous activity.
Good info. It depends on how much fast digesting carbs you eat. The insulin response will vary according to that. I'm not discounting the during WO shake all together, it could be beneficial- true.

ARe you talking about in the during workout shake, where you say it's not a lot? Then I believe that would be beneficial and also the electrolytes. Gatorade sucks though cuz of the HFCS which will induce the oppose effect cuz of the fructose. That's why I always tell people not to eat fruit PWO.

Could you post one of these studies I'd be interested to see it.

How do you know it was the during workout shake that hjelped so much instead of some other variable?

Mike

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, I am speaking of a intra- or peri-workout shake that is consumed throughout the course of the workout and diluted to a very low concentration (dissolved powder should take up only ~6%, iirc). It typically consists of easily absorped substances that take minimal to no digestion, i.e. amino acids, dextrose and it's polymers, electrolytes, etc.

Yes, gatorade is definitely sub-optimal, not only because of the fructose content in it's HFCS, but also because of it's brominated vegetable oil.

As for the study, I don't honestly remember where I read that. I will certainly look around and post what I find, but I'm just not sure if it was PubMed or something I came across at school or what. You can look for yourself too, if I don't come up with anything, just googling it ought to turn up some results.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Purple Wraath and about 30g waxy maize. I then just have a whole food meal when I get home from the gym.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established

Not just the studies, which have been coming fast and furious lately, but also the '08 position paper by the International Society of Sport Nutrition (ISSN)--they have a great paper where they state their official position on intraworkout supplementation for lifters and it consists of PRO + CHO.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
Intra-Aid, and Intrabolic are both polular, I have never used Intrabolic, but I am a big fan of Intra-Aid!

BiggerGeek

Awards
I''d still say pre and intra are more important than post.... Of course, any one meal isn't going to make up for the lack of a well rounded and consistent nutritional program

Just because that study had participants exercise for two hours, doesn't mean it isn't equally applicable to shorter workouts. Certainly I would like to see more information, such as the type of exercise (so as to judge intensity). Either way, why not get some extra anabolism while your in the gym?

from The Top 10 Post Workout Nutrition Myths
by Dave Barr

One of a plethora of excuses made in an attempt to resist preworkout nutrition; this myth actually makes a lot of sense…until you become familiar with the physiology of hormones. Looking deeper, we can find that the insulin stimulated by food intake, actually enhances blood flow and subsequent nutrient delivery to muscles (Coggins et al., 2001).

Applying this principle, liquid pre workout meal consumption dramatically increases muscle blood flow and protein synthesis (Tipton et al., 2001). This elevation in muscle growth is at least twice that observed with the same drink taken post workout (Tipton et al., 2001)! In fact, this effect even lasts for an hour after the workout, so it’s like having 2 drinks for the price of 1!

BiggerGeek

Awards
certainly being at-nation article, it has to be taken with a grain of salt. I realize most of them are nothing more than supplement plugs...

Recently I have been taking in 30 grams WMS and 15 grams of PeptoPro _ 10 grams BCAA during my workouts, and I must say they have been rocking. I am sure the carbs help the most as far as during the workout, but my recovery has also seemed much better.

After the workout I take a similar drink with more leucine and double the wms.

After christmas, I might expirement with upping the dosages of Pepto Pro. The first study didn't give much info into the level of hydrolysis used but assuming they used pure tri-peptides, it would take 60 grams of Pepto pro to get the equivalent...which would be mighty expensive.

But I think I could swing 30 grams per hour workout for a couple of weeks to see how I react. Maybe I'll bump up the BCAAs too. After all Charles Poliquin said you need at least 40 grams BCAAs during a workout.

Anyways, I don't see how 30g of PeptoPro + 40g BCAA + 30-60g WMS couldn't help build muscle better than some of the supps people drop so much cash on...

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I used to drink purple wraath and WMS during my workouts but I like whey and dextrose post so much better. I like the idea of taking aminos during though. I can eat more when I just drink water during my workouts. This is important for an ecto like me.

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
I have a sealed tub of Size-On for sale in the auction section if your interested. Its a great intra-workout supplement, but causing me to break out.

Viffer

Viffer

Awards
Good thread! I've been using a gatorade-ish intra w/o (no HFCS) for a while and have just switched back to water. Good info here...something new to try.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Good thread! I've been using a gatorade-ish intra w/o (no HFCS) for a while and have just switched back to water. Good info here...something new to try.
I'm with ya on this. No HFCS, no fructose...

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
The people in that study exercised for 2 hours. I think if your working out for an hour or less and your pre and post nutrition is solid a intra workout drink can't hurt but it is far from needed.
That is a common misperception, but newer research is showing shorter lifting bouts can benefit from intraworkout nutrition--like around an hour. Check out the ISSN's position paper on Nutrient Timing. They are the scientific body on sports nutrition:

"Ingesting CHO alone, or in combination with PRO, during resistance exercise increases muscle glycogen stores, offsets muscle damage, and faciliates greater training adapations after acute and prolonged periods of resistance training" (2008).

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You could always go with a Gatorade powder, BCAA powder, and some taurine.

If you are looking for a supp. I would recommend LG Science's BCAA mix, or Xtend. Either of these can have other bulk powders added to them which would be available at NP. Just make sure that the ingredients cause the effects that you are looking for.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
You could always go with a Gatorade powder, BCAA powder, and some taurine.
The issue could be fructose/HFCS... Again, from the ISSN paper, regarding intraworkout supplementation:

"Glucose, fructose, sucrose and maltodextrin can be used in combination, but large amounts of fructose are not recommended..."

lilGiant

lilGiant

Awards
i just drink about 5 grams bcaas in about 20 oz of water and sip it thru my workout.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i only use intra workout drinks when i know i will have a longer than normal workout session. (over 1.5 hr)

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
certainly being at-nation article, it has to be taken with a grain of salt. I realize most of them are nothing more than supplement plugs...

Recently I have been taking in 30 grams WMS and 15 grams of PeptoPro _ 10 grams BCAA during my workouts, and I must say they have been rocking. I am sure the carbs help the most as far as during the workout, but my recovery has also seemed much better.

After the workout I take a similar drink with more leucine and double the wms.

After christmas, I might expirement with upping the dosages of Pepto Pro. The first study didn't give much info into the level of hydrolysis used but assuming they used pure tri-peptides, it would take 60 grams of Pepto pro to get the equivalent...which would be mighty expensive.

But I think I could swing 30 grams per hour workout for a couple of weeks to see how I react. Maybe I'll bump up the BCAAs too. After all Charles Poliquin said you need at least 40 grams BCAAs during a workout.

Anyways, I don't see how 30g of PeptoPro + 40g BCAA + 30-60g WMS couldn't help build muscle better than some of the supps people drop so much cash on...
I would not use peptopro.

Pepto Pro is a hydrolysed Casein protein. For a start Casein protein is not as anabolic as Whey protein because whey protein contains all the growth factors such as IFG-1. Casein is more an immune system protein containing beneficial immune factors. To put on muscle you need those growth factors. Unfortunately, the growth factors have a bitter taste because they are classified as hydrophobic amino peptides. But these are the proteins that give you all the benefits for anabolic growth. What we know of Pepto Pro is that they have 'de-bitterised' the protein. That means they have broken down the protein further to eliminate the bitter peptides but those peptides are the active proteins which gives the casein all its health benefits. In other words they have gone too far with the processing, much like when you make amino acids, to make it taste good rather than engineer the protein and
separate the beneficial peptides from the rest of the protein
Sure you will get a protein which is absorbed quickly supplying amino acids for muscle repair which does not taste bitter, but you have eliminated the good peptides and do not have any growth factors to tell the body to repair at an anabolic rate.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Recently, I have been doing:

1 scoop Purple Wraath
20g Dextrose
20g WMS

Then about 45 minutes later:

1 1/2 cups milk
1 scoop whey
2 tbsp pb
20g maltodextrin
1/2 cup oats
140g blueberries

I like it because I seem to beable to eat more than when I was eating a shake immediatly after. If anybody sees a problem with this I'd love to know. I just really like the idea of getting amino's during and after.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
i only use intra workout drinks when i know i will have a longer than normal workout session. (over 1.5 hr)
Research show benefits of intraworkout nutrition for both extended and acute lifting sessions... Check out that ISSN position paper for more details.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Research show benefits of intraworkout nutrition for both extended and acute lifting sessions... Check out that ISSN position paper for more details.
i understand that but with my prewo and postwo nutrition and supplementation i dont feel it fits my budget to do intrawork formulas on the regular basis. No doubt there is benefiets for extended and acute lifting sessions. Maybe its because i just havent tried IntraAid yet haha

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
i understand that but with my prewo and postwo nutrition and supplementation i dont feel it fits my budget to do intrawork formulas on the regular basis. No doubt there is benefiets for extended and acute lifting sessions. Maybe its because i just havent tried IntraAid yet haha
Wasn't implying that you needed it brother... Just pointing out the relevant new info that intraworkout nutrition can benefit the lifter when he trains for an hour or less...

Speakin' of Intra-Aid... Perhaps you got a date with a bottle? PM me.