Red Yeast Rice

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.96%

Red Yeast Rice

I know this lowers overall cholesterol, but can this supplement increase your HDL? If not what's a good supp. that can?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.28%

Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL):

High Density Lipoprotein (HDL):

Notice both are lipoproteins and not 'cholesterol.'

HDL picks up LDL and takes it back to the liver and is eventually excreted.

So really there is no good cholesterol, just trying to clear that up... the biggest impact on cholesterol levels is the mix of fats in your diet.
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.36%

What I read about RYR from Dana Houser

Red Yeast Rice

The red yeast (Monascus purpureus) fermented on rice has been used in China for its health-promoting effects for over 2000 years. This yeast is the source of a small group of compounds known as monacolins that can lower cholesterol levels by blocking a key enzyme in the liver. In fact, the cholesterol-lowering drug Mevacor, the trade name for the compound lovastatin, also known as monacolin K, one of the key monocolins in red yeast rice extract.

The marketing of Cholestin (an extract of red yeast fermented on rice, standardized for monacolin content) as a dietary supplement in the United States has caused quite a controversy since 1997. Because it contains a natural source of a prescription drug, the FDA and the maker of Mevacor, Merck, tried to prohibit the sale of Cholestin and other red yeast rice extracts as a dietary supplement. The FDAs ruling against Cholestin was temporarily reversed in March 1999, but two years later the FDAs ruling was upheld. Nonetheless, many red yeast rice products remain on the market.

These products, like their prescription counterparts, clearly are effective in lowering cholesterol levels. Over twenty clinical trials conducted in China involving thousands of subjects have shown red yeast rice extract to effectively lower high blood cholesterol levels by roughly 20 percent while raising protective HDL cholesterol by about 18 percent. A study conducted at the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition under the direction of David Herber, MD, has also demonstrated positive results. The double-blind, placebo-controlled study consisted of 83 healthy subjects with a cholesterol level between 200 and 239 mg/dl. Subjects were treated with 2.4 g of red yeast rice extract (Cholestin) supplying 9.6 mg of monacolins per day or a placebo. Both groups were instructed to maintain a diet of 30 percent fat with less than 10 percent saturated fat and less than 300 mg of cholesterol. On average, cholesterol decreased in the Cholestin group from 254 to 208 mg/dl by eight weeks, with no change in the placebo group.

While these results sound pretty good and from the outside looking in offer seeming support for this compound, the post-cycle time frame is NOT the time to employ potential use of this type of product.

First, it is a huge strike with those trying to use it with liver protectants post-C17 alkylated products. Liver enzyme elevations are reported as the number one side effect (3.4%). While this may not be a concern in the normal circumstance, the post-cycle period remains a unique time of recoup for all body organs the liver perhaps having endured the biggest beating. Second, the development of muscle pains perhaps indicative of a rare, but serious side effect known as rhabdomyolysis, are clearly evident in a few select cases (1%) of the general population. It is difficult to discern between post-workout DOMS and actual muscle pain due to this condition.

Red Yeast Rice like other statin drugs reduces the levels of Coenzyme Q10 at an alarming rate. With already depleted levels in many bodybuilders, this could play the role of a significant detriment to the well-being and attempts at regaining homeostatic environments seen prior to the cycles initiation. Niacin products at a dosage of 500 mg three times per day potentiates the effects of Red Yeast Rice and if employing either, it is strongly advised to avoid concurrent therapy. Interestingly enough, I will report a case of hepatic sides in an unknowing post-cycle patient using a Multi-Vitamin (containing Niacin products) and self-medicating with Red Yeast Rice later in this series. In addition, there are far too many drug-herb interactions perhaps beyond the scope of this article to discuss, but it is wise to discuss the use of this product with your own examining physician if you are taking ANY prescription medications. I personally strongly advise AGAINST use of Red Yeast Rice at any point on or around a cycle.
    •   

4. Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Naicin will raise HDL
  5. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

fish oil can
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.99%

did the FDA require all red yeast rice to have the natural statins taken out of them?
  7. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

That's very interesting. I remember when RYR was recommended more often than hawthorne berry. It was almost as essential as milk thistle. They actually sell RYR w/ CoQ12 as a product. I've never used it, as it was always $20-30 more than the other herbs in my arsenal. That stuff is expensive
  8. AI Sports Nutrition
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.66%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jsp0785 View Post
    did the FDA require all red yeast rice to have the natural statins taken out of them?
    I believe that the ones that the big pharma companies have were required to be removed.
    Ask me for samples of the new RecoverPRO and Maniac. 3Z is coming July 1st Facebook for more info and maybe a great deal on it coming.
    http://twitter.com/#!/TeamAISports
    http://www.facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.99%

Quote Originally Posted by pembroke3355 View Post
    I believe that the ones that the big pharma companies have were required to be removed.
    so a fantastic product such as cycle support has natural statins in it?
  10. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I use the regular Cycle Support but if you prefer not to have the RYR the board store has it without the RYR

http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufactu...c-innovations/

8th product down.
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.22%

Quote Originally Posted by jsp0785 View Post
    so a fantastic product such as cycle support has natural statins in it?
    I'd like an answer as well. If not an answer for liability purposes, a suggestion would be nice.
  12. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.87%

It is not allowed in Red Yeast Rice.

In 2000, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that red yeast rice IS subject to FDA regulation. Since then, the FDA has aggressively gone after companies selling red rice yeast containing lovastatin.

Just as NOW brand and the others supplement companies wouldn't go against the FDA and neither would we.
  13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.22%

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER View Post
    It is not allowed in Red Yeast Rice.

In 2000, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that red yeast rice IS subject to FDA regulation. Since then, the FDA has aggressively gone after companies selling red rice yeast containing lovastatin.

Just as NOW brand and the others supplement companies wouldn't go against the FDA and neither would we.

Makes sense, but I thought this was why it was included in CS?

If natural statins are no longer contained therein, why continue to sell a RYR formula?
  14. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.87%

Back when we brought Cycle Support out people were looking for an all in one support supplement so they didn't have to keep mixing up their own bulk items.

We listened to what they wanted.

People asked for a version without the RYR so we gave that to them too. If there are requests for other formulations we could look into that.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the support Jordan just like you ALWAYS do!
  15. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.87%

Gotta give a shout out to the board store they have Cycle Support on sale.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.42%

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER View Post
    Back when we brought Cycle Support out people were looking for an all in one support supplement so they didn't have to keep mixing up their own bulk items.

We listened to what they wanted.

People asked for a version without the RYR so we gave that to them too. If there are requests for other formulations we could look into that.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the support Jordan just like you ALWAYS do!
    What's the reason for RYR in CS though? I thought the statins were the reason it was included also, but since there are none what are the other benefits of RYR in CS? Basically I see no reason to buy the version with RYR if it brings nothing of value.
    Also RYR free formula on NP doesn't have a flavor listed. Is it flavored or unflavored?
    I recently had some blood work done for some life insurance and I had some fairly high liver enzymes values. That's why I'm looking at CS.
  17. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.87%

The RYR free at Nutra Planet is chocolate.

Milk Thistle in CS helps with cholesterol

Milk Thistle Extract (standardized 80% Silymarin)

Milk thistle nutritionally supports the liver's ability to maintain normal liver function. It has shown positive effects in treating nearly every known form of liver disease, including cirrhosis, hepatitis, necroses, and liver damage due to drug and alcohol abuse. Milk thistle works due to its ability to inhibit the factors responsible for liver damage, coupled with the fact it stimulates production of new liver cells to replace old damaged ones.

Milk thistle has been proven to protect the liver from damage. The detrimental effects of environmental toxins, alcohol, drugs and chemotherapy may be countered with this valuable herb. The active chemical component in the herb is silybin, which functions as an antioxidant and is one of the most potent liver protective agents known. Clinical trials have proven silybin to be effective in treating chronic liver diseases and in protecting the liver from toxic chemicals. An injection of silybin is a proven antidote for poisoning with the Deathcap mushroom (Amanita phalloides).

Silybin is a part of the chemical structure of the flavoligan silymarine. Milk thistle's hepatoprotective effects may be explained by its function of altering the liver cell membrane structure, blocking the absorption of toxins into the cells. Hepatoprotection by silymarin can also be attributed to its ability to increase the intracellular concentration of glutathione, a substance required for detoxicating reactions in liver cells. Milk thistle is also an antioxidant that is more potent than vitamins C and E. 1

One animal study found that silymarin (an active compound in milk thistle) worked as effectively as the cholesterol-lowering drug probucol, with the additional benefit of substantially increasing HDL ("good") cholesterol. Further studies in people are needed. 2

Supplements with RYR with statins in it are being cracked down upon by the FDA.

We are not going to go up against the FDA

Some people like the RYR in it so it is included.

For those who do not want it we offer a RYR free version.

Do you have suggestions of another version you would like?

We find our best products are from listening to our customers such as when it was suggested we cap Cycle Support and we introduced Life Support.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just saw the part where you said fairly high liver enzymes values. If it were me I would talk to the Dr. who said you had fairly high liver enzymes values and ask him what to do. I don't like to suggest someone self medicate. BEST OF LUCK!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Red Yeast Rice
    By TripDog in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 09:11 PM
  2. Red Yeast Rice to become Rx only.
    By Loadre in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21