"Weak evidence suggests that PS might decrease the release of the hormone cortisol after exercise.34 Among its many effects, cortisol acts to break down muscle tissue exactly the opposite of the effect desired by a strength athlete or bodybuilder. This double-blind, placebo-controlled study on 11 intensely trained athletes found that 800 mg of PS taken daily reduced the cortisol rise by 20% as compared with placebo.35 Another small study on 9 nonathletic males found that daily doses of 400 and 800 mg of PS reduced cortisol levels after exercise by 16% and 30%, respectively.36 Another study found that phosphatidylserine could relieve some overtraining symptoms, including muscle soreness, possibly due to effects on cortisol.37,39"
35. Fahey TD, Pearl M. Hormonal effects of phosphatidylserine during 2 weeks of training. Abstract presented at: National Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine;June, 1998; Orlando, Fla
36. Monteleone P, Maj M, Beinat L, et al. Blunting by chronic phosphatidylserine administration of the stress-induced activation of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis in healthy men. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1992;42:385-388.
37. Monteleone P, Maj M, Beinat L, et al. Blunting by chronic phosphatidylserine administration of the stress-induced activation of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis in healthy men. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1992;42:385-388.
38. Fahey TD, Pearl M. The hormonal and perceptive effects of phosphatidylserine administration during two weeks of resistive exercise-induced overtraining. Biol Sport. 1998;15:135-144.
39. Monteleone P, Beinat L, Tanzillo C, et al. Effects of phosphatidylserine on the neuroendocrine response to physical stress in humans. Neuroendocrinology. 1990;52:243-248.
So my final opinion. Take PS anyway since it seems studies go both ways. It appears from studies 36-39 that they support the benefits of PS in athletes. It may be expensive but if taking 800mg daily suppresses cortisol levels then it is worth it, especially after a cycle. I have taken lower dosages of it and did not feel it was overly effective so if you choose to use make sure to use an adequite amount.