Supps or drugs to heal shoulders?

DevilSmack

DevilSmack

Awards
My shoulders have had some extreme inflammation for over 2 months. I have stopped lifting. I can't even do arms. I took NSAID's for 2 weeks along with icing up to 6 times a day and using Biofreeze, IcyHot, and Aspercream. They did not get better.

Then I took a 6 day pack of Methylprednisolone and it helped a little. My shoulders stopped popping but were still sore.

Now after even more rest,

Icing up to 6 times a day

Taking turmeric and bromelain 3 x a day. taking MSM, and now I just got Biotest Flameout. I took high doses of Cissus for a few days and oddly, it made my shoulders hurt more. I stopped taking it and they stopped hurting as bad. I am still in pain. The company doctor where I work (who is about worthless) picked my arms up and moved them around and I don't feel much pain but when I move them myself they hurt like hell.

I think I may have bursitis. I have insurance but it sucks bad. I can't afford an MRI. I have an appointment with a sports doctor tomorrow. I don't know if I should get a cortisone shot or not.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make this heal up faster? Thanks

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My shoulders have had some extreme inflammation for over 2 months. I have stopped lifting. I can't even do arms. I took NSAID's for 2 weeks along with icing up to 6 times a day and using Biofreeze, IcyHot, and Aspercream. They did not get better.

Then I took a 6 day pack of Methylprednisolone and it helped a little. My shoulders stopped popping but were still sore.

Taking turmeric and bromelain 3 x a day. taking MSM, and now I just got Biotest Flameout. I took high doses of Cissus for a few days and oddly, it made my shoulders hurt more. I stopped taking it and they stopped hurting as bad. I am still in pain. The company doctor where I work (who is about worthless) picked my arms up and moved them around and I don't feel much pain but when I move them myself they hurt like hell.

I think I may have bursitis. I have insurance but it sucks bad. I can't afford an MRI. I have an appointment with a sports doctor tomorrow. I don't know if I should get a cortisone shot or not.

The high dose of cissus may be what was making it hurt more- may be too much of a good thing- cissus can actually work too well in many instances (in its glucocorticoid inhibiting role)- you are on the right track with the MSM, turmeric, and bromelain- they all work on the same problem in different capacities...

What you tried sounds very much like our Osteo-Sport, minus a few things (CMO, Vitamin C, and Hyaluronic Acid)- what I can tell you- I like Osteo-Sport about 10x more than regular cissus alone- it provides a more "refined" solution to joint and tendon pain. We use 40% cissus in the formula, but only at a specific dosage- like I said- too much of it can be a bad thing.....if you wanted to throw one more thing in, try CMO- it really seems to help with joint lubrication quite a bit....

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have chronic shoulder issues and I've used super cissus rx for a while...I think it does a great job.

I switched over to osteo sport a few weeks ago and I'm noticing my shoulder is feeling a little bit better than it did when I was just using cissus. I recover a little quicker after working (not sore as long after).

also, be sure you're taking fish oil...helps with the inflamation!

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have chronic shoulder issues and I've used super cissus rx for a while...I think it does a great job.

I switched over to osteo sport a few weeks ago and I'm noticing my shoulder is feeling a little bit better than it did when I was just using cissus. I recover a little quicker after working (not sore as long after).

also, be sure you're taking fish oil...helps with the inflamation!
agreed on the fish oil- we are about to come out with a marine lipid product- I really, really love this stuff- when you take it with the Osteo Sport, it really feels like your joints are made of hard rubber :)

DevilSmack

DevilSmack

Awards
The doc said that he thinks I have bicep tendonitis and it's what is making my shoulders hurt so bad. He precribed me Indocin a strong NSAD. I take 50mg 3x a day. They gave me a rubber band thing to start exercises for my shoulder. I am still taking all my supps plus I added Celadrin and NAC. We will see how it goes.

rms80, I never quite understood how Cirrsus is anti-inflamatory while at the same time reduses cortisol which is anti-inflamatory right?

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The doc said that he thinks I have bicep tendonitis and it's what is making my shoulders hurt so bad. He precribed me Indocin a strong NSAD. I take 50mg 3x a day. They gave me a rubber band thing to start exercises for my shoulder. I am still taking all my supps plus I added Celadrin and NAC. We will see how it goes.

rms80, I never quite understood how Cirrsus is anti-inflamatory while at the same time reduses cortisol which is anti-inflamatory right?
It is kind of confusing- and it is a good question- I think you are thinking of cortisone, which is a synthetic form of cortisol injected locally- and some of the actions of cissus and cortisol overlap, yet cissus can blunt cortisol release :)

Injectible cortisone is used to treat local inflammation, but systemic cortisol, which is a hormone, is released during periods of stress. High amounts of cortisol in the body can actually cause greater amounts of inflammation (ie moonface) in many situations, as it can alter levels of aldosterone (which controls bodily water balance) released by the kidneys....

Cissus and cortisone reduce inflammation through different pathways- cissus reduces cytokines and neutrophils within the damaged area- and when these are reduced, there is a general reduction in hyperemia in the damaged area. Cortisol can reduce easonophil action and can prevent phospholipid release, but (and I think is kind of odd) some of the direct actions of cissus and cortisone overlap on attenuation of inflammation, yet cissus is inhibitory to cortisol.....go figure ;)

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
gooood post!^^^

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established

want to get them straight?
3 weeks rest with physical therapy , then cissus and animal flex

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
as this is definitely a question for a doctor, I will just give you what I have done for nagging pain that has helped well.

1. active enzymes. People don't realize how much they benefit soreness.
2. aminos. same here, helps with soreness greatly.
3. I am trying out Phosphatidyl Serine right now and after my leg day, my legs are absolutely fine today. I could do another leg day if I wanted to.
4. SLEEP :)

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
as this is definitely a question for a doctor, I will just give you what I have done for nagging pain that has helped well.

1. active enzymes. People don't realize how much they benefit soreness.
2. aminos. same here, helps with soreness greatly.
3. I am trying out Phosphatidyl Serine right now and after my leg day, my legs are absolutely fine today. I could do another leg day if I wanted to.
4. SLEEP :)
Great post- every single one of these things helps recovery markedly- active enzymes are awesome for soreness- this is why we included bromelain (at least one of the reasons) in Osteo-Sport- we want something that goes beyond reducing or eliminating joint pain- we also want something that aids in recovery. Osteo-Sport and Neovar (plus protein, BCAAs, and WMS) are PHENOMENAL post-workout, at least in terms of getting you back to where you need to be: ready to work out HARD for your next training session, with little residual soreness or pain, even after you literally destroy yourself :)

PS is pretty overlooked, mostly (and this IMHO) b/c it has been fairly expensive in raw material form, and this translates to severe underdosing in most commercial products containing it- I call this the ABC Supplement Triangle of Death :D

A. Ineffective dose= B. Ineffective supplement product= C. Perceived Ineffective compound contained in said supplement product

Due to the triangle effect- said supplement is pushed under rug, often never to be seen again.....I can think of 50+ OTC compounds introduced into the DS market in the last few years that have phenomenal potential to create game changing effects in athletes, if they are dosed correctly- but b/c they are underdosed, the desired effects are never attained, and people think they are garbage compounds:clean:

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Yeah you're totally right for the most part. It's sad. I can think of a few companies that make some products that are not underdosed ;)

so far I really like the phosphatidyl serine. I'm taking 550mg prior to training and another 550mg right after.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established

I've had some bouts of debilitating tendonitis, and to this day I personally haven't gotten results with cissus, msm, gluclosamine, chondroitin, fish oil, animal flex, ect. I have noticed fewer and further between bouts of flare up when taking/ingesting anti-ox's and active enzymes (which were also recommended for my rotator cuff injury), but I've yet to find something that I can depend on. For me there are just certain times that I can't do certain exercises.

Have you had any results with your script yet? If you find something that works well, let us know!