A supp for Migraines??

MMABoxing

Awards
I Tried everything Triptans ...NSAID'S....etc

I need something that will help me get my homework done ...boxing workouts finished.

Thanks

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
feverfew is an herb that can help with migranes

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
caffeine?

But you're an 'mmaboxer'? With migraines? Get a head check by a dr, dude.

MMABoxing

Awards
oh and caffeine makes it worse

any more suggestions?

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Louis Hays advice... jack off.
(seriously helps lol. just sayin man)

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Louis Hays advice... jack off.
(seriously helps lol. just sayin man)
true true, might be a thumpin' sore head but when your done its clear blue ocean all the way

MMABoxing

Awards
haha

what about a strong stimulant ? any one have advice

MMABoxing

Awards
seriously tho...what do you guys recommend as a strong stim?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
feverfew is an herb that can help with migranes
Agree. Considering that migranes can have complex triggering events such as platelet abnormality, oxygen deficit, serotonin and prostaglandin imbalances, disequilibrium in autonomic nervous system function, mitochondrial-energy deficit, genetics, and so on, a broad-based approach is required. So, one may have to consider stacking feverfew extract, butterbur extract, riboflavin (B2, for optimization of mitochondrial energy production), ginger extract (an important inhibitor of such inflammatory pathways as cyclooxygenase (COX) and lipoxygenase (LOX)), and rosmarinic acid extract (powerful antioxidant protector and immune-system booster).

ksa

Awards
  • Established
Agree. Considering that migranes can have complex triggering events such as platelet abnormality, oxygen deficit, serotonin and prostaglandin imbalances, disequilibrium in autonomic nervous system function, mitochondrial-energy deficit, genetics, and so on, a broad-based approach is required. So, one may have to consider stacking feverfew extract, butterbur extract, riboflavin (B2, for optimization of mitochondrial energy production), ginger extract (an important inhibitor of such inflammatory pathways as cyclooxygenase (COX) and lipoxygenase (LOX)), and rosmarinic acid extract (powerful antioxidant protector and immune-system booster).

what would be the proper dosage of each one of these?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what would be the proper dosage of each one of these?
Feverfew extract (standardized for parthenolides) 300mcg
Butterbur Extract (standardized to 15% petasins) 75mg
Rosmarinic Acid 50mg
Ginger Extract (standardized for 5% gingerols) 250mg
Riboflavin 200mg

Twice daily.

One could replace riboflavin with CoQ10 Ubiquinol at 50mg daily.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ginger (powder or fresh form)
Migraine is considered as a neurological disorder with little convincing evidence of the involvement of some vascular phenomenon. Recent understanding of the mechanisms behind migraine pain generation and perception have considerably helped the development of modern migraine drugs. Most migraine drugs in use, i.e., ergotamine and dihydroergotamine, iprazochrome, pizotifen and diazepam; and non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs (i.e. aspirin, paracetamol, persantin, etc.) have side-effects and are prescribed with caution for a limited duration. Ginger is reported in Ayurvedic and Tibb systems of medicine to be useful in neurological disorders. It is proposed that administration of ginger may exert abortive and prophylactic effects in migraine headache without any side-effects.

PMID: 2214812 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
BACKGROUND: Treatment of migraine headaches is often delayed due to assessing the potential severity of an evolving headache or anticipating unwanted consequences from prescription medication. Studies have demonstrated improved pain-free response when prescription treatments are taken during the mild headache phase of a migraine. This study was designed to evaluate the efficacy of an OTC product, GelStat Migraine, when taken in the early, mild pain phase of migraine. MATERIAL/METHODS: An open-label study enrolling 30 subjects, male and female, with a one-year history of migraine meeting IHS diagnostic criteria with or without aura, 2-8 migraines per month and < or = 15 headache days per month. Inclusion required having migraines that consistently started at mild and worsened to moderate or severe, if untreated, in at least 75% of attacks. Subjects also had to be able to distinguish migraine from non-migraine headaches and reliably identify migraine early in the course of an attack. One headache was treated in the mild pain phase with GelStat Migraine, a combination of feverfew and ginger. RESULTS: 29 evaluable subjects completed the study, all treating at mild pain. Two hours after treatment, 48% were pain-free with 34% reporting a headache of only mild severity. 29% reported a recurrence within 24 hours. Side effects were minimal and not serious. 59% of subjects were satisfied with Gelstat Migraine therapy and 41% preferred GelStat Migraine or felt it was equal to their pre-study medication. CONCLUSIONS: GelStat Migraine is effective as a first line abortive treatment for migraine when initiated early during the mild headache phase.

PMID: 16127373 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
I suffer from intense, and sometimes crippiling migraines. If I'm able to eat some fresh Ginger when I feel an onset, the results are very noticable. I now include a daily ginger pill with my breakfast.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I suffer from intense, and sometimes crippiling migraines. If I'm able to eat some fresh Ginger when I feel an onset, the results are very noticable. I now include a daily ginger pill with my breakfast.
Salute, Iron! :)

864gnohp

864gnohp

Awards

Thanks to Iron Lungz and the OP.

I'll be adding it to my daily handful of pills. Anything that helps is worth a try in my book.

Cool

Cool

Awards
  • Established
If you truly have migraines (many claim this but do not), then go to the doctor. Supplements aren't the best choice for serious medical conditions. I use prescription Relpax as needed. Works if I can catch it early enough.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you truly have migraines (many claim this but do not), then go to the doctor. Supplements aren't the best choice for serious medical conditions. I use prescription Relpax as needed. Works if I can catch it early enough.
I use Sumatriptan or Reglan. The worst ones are Clutch Migraines.
I've suffered since I was about 11. Tons of tests, but nothing to note. A bullet in the head sometimes feels like the only solution when it hits hard.
Fukc Migraines!

Cool

Cool

Awards
  • Established
A bullet in the head sometimes feels like the only solution when it hits hard.
Fukc Migraines!
That sounds like the migraine I know. It serioulsy urks me when people have headaches and claim they have migraines.

MaxGolf

MaxGolf

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • Established
Another good Herb to look at would be Bupleurum. You can take it as a water extract and dose it from 300- 1200 mg twice a day

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what about 5-HTP
l-5-Hydroxytryptophan is a mood and appitite regulating neurotransmitter
I've only heard of it being suggested for people with anxiety and depression.

Are you a very anxious person? That can cause head aches. Positive thinking also prevents them. Try to avoid becoming frusturated and get enough sleep if at all possible. Make sure you're drinking enough water

MMABoxing

Awards
nope. but some recent 5-HTP articles show it can help with chronic headaches/migraines

CageWarrior

CageWarrior

Awards
Good info in the thread. I unfortunately suffer from migraines too. I'm an mma fighter now but have always had migraines since I can remember(first around age 5 caused by the taste from strawberry kool-aid combined with whatever other factors, i just know i chunked everywhere). When I get them now, I usually do not feel any better until I throw up. If i get it early, excedrine migraine helps. I've tried a lot of different prescribed medicines that didn't help seemingly at all. So i may experiment with some of the herbs/etc listed in this thread.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good info in the thread. I unfortunately suffer from migraines too. I'm an mma fighter now but have always had migraines since I can remember(first around age 5 caused by the taste from strawberry kool-aid combined with whatever other factors, i just know i chunked everywhere). When I get them now, I usually do not feel any better until I throw up. If i get it early, excedrine migraine helps. I've tried a lot of different prescribed medicines that didn't help seemingly at all. So i may experiment with some of the herbs/etc listed in this thread.
The EX-Migraine does more damage than good. Go to the DR and get a prescription... I see you have tried some - which ones?