Novel Turmeric Compound Delivers Much More Curcumin to the Blood

1. Registered User
    Answers

Novel Turmeric Compound Delivers Much More Curcumin to the Blood

Curcumin is a terrific supplement, and I came across this which sounds amazing. Anyone have any thoughts, and when we can expect others besides lef to start making it?

Absorption and bioavailability of curcumin is one of it's severe drawbacks. It can be significantly enhanced by the addition of an agent such as piperine. I am hopping that np starts making one with a black peper extaract included(please).

I read the article very quickly but it seems somehow that their data on the curcumin and pepper extract did not make sense to what I have read as one is suppose to see an absorption difference of 1000% according to the literature that I have read-the moral of that is to make sure to have black pepper with your curcumin or buy one that already includes it.

Novel Turmeric Compound Delivers Much More Curcumin To The Blood - Life Extension

2. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by small_guy;
    Curcumin is a terrific supplement, and I came across this which sounds amazing. Anyone have any thoughts, and when we can expect others besides lef to start making it?

Absorption and bioavailability of curcumin is one of it's severe drawbacks. It can be significantly enhanced by the addition of an agent such as piperine. I am hopping that np starts making one with a black peper extaract included(please).

I read the article very quickly but it seems somehow that their data on the curcumin and pepper extract did not make sense to what I have read as one is suppose to see an absorption difference of 1000% according to the literature that I have read-the moral of that is to make sure to have black pepper with your curcumin or buy one that already includes it.

Novel Turmeric Compound Delivers Much More Curcumin To The Blood - Life Extension
    Perhaps you should re-read the article. Life Extension's research is detailed and spot-on. As I write this, I have two bottles of their (new) Bio-Curcumin at home. It is hard to imagine a better curcumin product.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Just looking at the data in the charts(#2 and #3), there seems to be very little difference absorption wise for curcumin with piperine(just above 500 ng/ml) relative to the conventional curcumin(just below 500 ng/ml) and hence literature says that curcumin with pepper should increase by 1000% which is not represented.

I still have only skimmed the writing part and looked only at the graph/chart data. Area under the curve for the graph seems very much to suggest that absorption for curcumin with piperine should be higher than the data in the chart reflects vs the curcumin without piperine.

That said, I am not at all saying that the product is not good, as the article has me seriously looking into buying some as this is one of my favourite compounds. The data for this new curcumin product is amazing!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Strat, how many caps/day of LEF's Bio-Curcumin do you generally take?
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Strat, how many caps/day of LEF's Bio-Curcumin do you generally take?
    Just saw this! I take one capsule daily. With food.
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Just saw this! I take one capsule daily. With food.
    No worries. Thanks a lot bud!
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

I have also read where the method of action of curcumin might not be related to absorption, but I can't find it now. Anyway, I eat beans and rice at least 4 times per week and I start by melting about 1/5 stick of butter, then adding probably 5 grams of tumeric and black pepper. Then after a few minutes, I add the beans. Cooking tumeric is supposed to make it absorb better.
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Perhaps you should re-read the article. Life Extension's research is detailed and spot-on. As I write this, I have two bottles of their (new) Bio-Curcumin at home. It is hard to imagine a better curcumin product.
    The link isn't working, why is their's better? I'm using Dr's Best right now.
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    The link isn't working, why is their's better? I'm using Dr's Best right now.
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to strategicmove again.

Thanks! I'm just not sure it's more cost effective, though clearly it's more effective mg for mg. I get 120 caps of 500mg 95% for $16-17.

I guess the longer half-life is worth it. I need to read some more.
  11. Board Supporter
    Answers

Their curcumin comes in veggie-caps. I don't think much will survive the stomach.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bulk Turmeric!
    By RenegadeRows in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
  2. Topical turmeric (curcumin)?
    By shaddow in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 10:21 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 11:12 PM