spiro and other topical dht blockers

repmks

repmks

Awards
  • Established
i want to use a topic dht blocker. now do they significantly lower dht levels in the body? basically i dont want the sides i got from finasteride (limp ****). I am thinking of getting topical Spironolactone (2% vs 5%)? and xandrox (5% vs 15%).

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
i want to use a topic dht blocker. now do they significantly lower dht levels in the body? basically i dont want the sides i got from finasteride (limp ****). I am thinking of getting topical Spironolactone (2% vs 5%)? and xandrox (5% vs 15%).
Spironolactone does indeed suppress scalp hair loss and appears to trigger hair regrowth by inhibiting the action of such testosterone metabolites such as dihydrotestosterone, DHT. However, topical use is preferred to oral use. When administered orally, spironolactone produces anti-androgenic effects resulting in libido issues and gynecomastia. Topical use does not seem to produce these effects.

repmks

repmks

Awards
  • Established
Spironolactone does indeed suppress scalp hair loss and appears to trigger hair regrowth by inhibiting the action of such testosterone metabolites such as dihydrotestosterone, DHT. However, topical use is preferred to oral use. When administered orally, spironolactone produces anti-androgenic effects resulting in libido issues and gynecomastia. Topical use does not seem to produce these effects.
yes i obviously knew this. soo most people havent experienced sides from topicals?? does spiro significantly lower blood dht levels?

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
I have been using spiro for a while. I tried propecia for a month was miserable. I have had nothing but a great experience with spiro. ZERO side effects, except of course for significantly slowing down MPB. If you are getting yours from Dr. Lee, Id reccommend 2% because it is much easier to apply, unless you have a buzz cut 5% is very difficult to apply, especially if you have diffuse thinning. If you have any other questions, you can PM me.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
..soo most people havent experienced sides from topicals??...
My comment suggested the opposite. Topical administration has hardly any side effects, compared to systemic/oral use, due to the so-called first-pass effect.

... does spiro significantly lower blood dht levels?
Consider this. Elevated scalp levels of the testosterone metabolite, DHT, produce an inflammatory condition. The body regards this inflammatory condition as a threat, and initiates an immune reaction by producing higher levels of anti-bodies in hair follicles. The inflammatory state and the ensuing immune action and reaction within the follicles combine to damage hair follicles by shrinking them and eventually destroying them, leading to hair loss. While this is not the only pathway that leads to hair loss, it still demonstrates how what usually starts as an androgenic action eventually leads to hair-thinning and loss. Spironolactone appears to inhibit, or at least, reduce the ability of DHT to enter hair follicles, thereby reducing hair loss and stimulating hair growth. As for blood DHT levels, the concomitant use of an inhibitor of the alpha-5-reductase enzyme, that converts testosterone into DHT, may be a useful option. Personally, though, I prefer to regard hair loss as a complex inflammatory event that should be dealt with from many angles. These include the use of DHT modulators, topical free-radical quenchers, endothelial-cell-lining rejuvenators, and topical super-oxide dismutase, one of the most potent hair regrowth stimulators around.

EIC

EIC

Awards
I have been using spiro for a while. I tried propecia for a month was miserable. I have had nothing but a great experience with spiro. ZERO side effects, except of course for significantly slowing down MPB. If you are getting yours from Dr. Lee, Id reccommend 2% because it is much easier to apply, unless you have a buzz cut 5% is very difficult to apply, especially if you have diffuse thinning. If you have any other questions, you can PM me.
I am very encouraged to hear that you have not noticed any systemic side effects from topical spiro. It is something I have considered for a long time, but been to afraid to try. How is the consistency? Does it leave your hair feeling greasy or stiff? Smell?

Are you using minoxidil and/or Nizoral as well?

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
I am very encouraged to hear that you have not noticed any system side effects from topical spiro. It is something I have considered for a long time, but been to afraid to try. How is the consistency? Does it leave your hair feeling greasy or stiff? Smell?

Are you using minoxidil and/or Nizoral as well?

Depends on where you get it from. Dr. Lee's 2% Spiro is a liquid concoction, and only smells of the alcohol solution. The 5% is a cream, doesnt really smell, but is almost impossible to use if you dont have a buzz cut.