Liver Tabs?

  1. New Member
    Timmo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    198
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    14.98%

    Liver Tabs?


    Lately Ive been seeing alot of people recommending liver tabs on the forum, and Im thinking about trying them out. What are some good brands of liver tabs, and what are some of the benefits of taking liver tabs as a natural lifter?

  2. New Member
    mDeezy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    294
    Rep Power
    225
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    18.06%
  3. Registered User
    Big BAMA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,409
    Rep Power
    1304
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    9.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Beverly International at NutraPlanet has some good and cheap.
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/b...-500-tabs.html
    •   
       

  4. UniversalUSA.com
    Universal Rep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,779
    Rep Power
    965
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    21.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Uni-Liver. 500 tabs at $11.50 is tough to beat: Uni-Liver (500 tabs) By: Universal Nutrition

    For more feedback:
    Uni-Liver - the F O R V M

    What liver tabs are good for:
    Liver Tabs - What Are They Good For? - the F O R V M
  5. Registered User
    Big BAMA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,409
    Rep Power
    1304
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    9.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Universal Rep View Post
    Uni-Liver. 500 tabs at $11.50 is tough to beat: Uni-Liver (500 tabs) By: Universal Nutrition

    For more feedback:
    Uni-Liver - the F O R V M

    What liver tabs are good for:
    Liver Tabs - What Are They Good For? - the F O R V M
    Yeah that's cheaper go with it.
  6. New Member
    EIC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    155
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%

    I found this thread informative regarding liver tabs:

    Review: Desiccated Liver Tablets - IronOnline Weight Training Forum


    Edit: The bottom of that thread compares digestion/absorption of four popular brands of liver tabs.
  7. New Member
    Timmo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    198
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    14.98%

    Awesome, thanks for all the replies guys
  8. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41245
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Great link EIC. Does everybody chew their liver tabs. This is food for thought, since I was planning on picking up some Liver Tabs on my next order.
  9. Advanced Member
    Dizmal's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    548
    Rep Power
    368
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    59.4%

    I don't chew. I think they digest just fine. Someone else here left them in glasses of water and they dissolved just fine. So I know the stomach makes short work of them.

    Personally, I will never go without them again. Nothing ground breaking or earth shattering, but for the price. It's probably one of the best supps out there.

    They just make you feel *on*.
  10. New Member
    Timmo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    198
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    14.98%

    I read somewhere on here that someone added liver tabs to thier diet and supplement plan and gained something like 5lbs of lean mass just from adding in the tabs? I took the post at face value and didnt think much of it, but it sparked my interest in what they are good for
  11. Advanced Member
    Dizmal's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    548
    Rep Power
    368
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    59.4%

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
    I read somewhere on here that someone added liver tabs to thier diet and supplement plan and gained something like 5lbs of lean mass just from adding in the tabs? I took the post at face value and didnt think much of it, but it sparked my interest in what they are good for
    I started taking them 2 months ago after reading this thread here:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...iver-tabs.html

    For what it's worth. I noticed that I had increased muscle hardness after implementing them. Nothing else was added to my supplements during the last 2 months and I actually stopped using RPM and CordygenV02 during the begining of that first month.

    Like I said, they're a staple for me from here on out. Big believer in them. For the money, it definitely doesn't hurt to try them. At worst, if you don't like them you're only out $12.
  12. New Member
    mDeezy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    294
    Rep Power
    225
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    18.06%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
    I don't chew. I think they digest just fine. Someone else here left them in glasses of water and they dissolved just fine. So I know the stomach makes short work of them.

    Personally, I will never go without them again. Nothing ground breaking or earth shattering, but for the price. It's probably one of the best supps out there.

    They just make you feel *on*.
    +1

    I don't chew either, gross. And I feel "on" when I take them as well.

    Also, I was thinking about this the other day:
    Uni-Liver- 500 tabs per bottle, 3.2g protein per 2 tab serving = 800g protein per bottle, for under $12
    Whey- 80 servings per 5 lb tub, ~25g protein per serving = 2000g per tub, for around $40, give or take

    Uni-Liver ~ 1.5 cents per g of protein
    Whey ~ 2 cents per g of protein

    So Liver Tabs are actually an inexpensive protein source as well, not to mention their solid amino profile and additional b vitamins, etc.
  13. New Member
    EIC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    155
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%

    So no one has had any problems digesting the Uni liver, eh? That's good to know. It definitely looks like the most reliable and affordable source for liver, but that thread about them not dissolving kinda scared me away from them.
  14. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41245
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by EIC View Post
    So no one has had any problems digesting the Uni liver, eh? That's good to know. It definitely looks like the most reliable and affordable source for liver, but that thread about them not dissolving kinda scared me away from them.
    Likewise, the non-dissolving thing sounded out anyways. If anybody has some lying around and wouldn't mind confirming, please do so

    Still in my cart for my next order regardless. It's worth it for the protein alone!
  15. Senior Member
    King Con's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,676
    Rep Power
    914
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    12.54%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Universal Rep View Post
    Uni-Liver. 500 tabs at $11.50 is tough to beat: Uni-Liver (500 tabs) By: Universal Nutrition

    For more feedback:
    Uni-Liver - the F O R V M

    What liver tabs are good for:
    Liver Tabs - What Are They Good For? - the F O R V M
    I concur. Very had to beat that deal.
  16. New Member
    Otori's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    106
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    25.12%

    IŽd be worried about the total amount of vitamin A. Especially if I also take a multi vit with vit. A in it daily.
  17. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41245
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Otori View Post
    IŽd be worried about the total amount of vitamin A. Especially if I also take a multi vit with vit. A in it daily.
    Doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past, but since Vit. A is insoluble in water it's good to be aware of how much you're taking. I couldn't find the amount of Vit A. in UniLiver, but upconverting from NOW's brand, there should be about 500 IU's (12%) per 2 tabs. NOW Adam has 10 000 IU's by comparison.
  18. New Member
    CL1NT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    79
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    29.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by EIC View Post
    I found this thread informative regarding liver tabs:

    Review: Desiccated Liver Tablets - IronOnline Weight Training Forum


    Edit: The bottom of that thread compares digestion/absorption of four popular brands of liver tabs.
    Thanks for this link, it was interesting to see the comparison of how fast the different liver tablet brands dissolve.

    I was however a little concerned when I read the following as I just received my big 500 tablet tub of UNI Liver;


    "Even more interesting, is that the Universal Uni-Liver product never showed any signs of dissolving. I continued to allow these samples to sit for another 2 hours of course, after 2 hours these would have long vacated your stomach, but in the interest of curiosity I continued on. At the end of the 2 hours time, all the other products had dissolved completely, except the Uni-Liver product remained exactly as you see it above!"


    This is bullS%#t I said to myself... So being the big fan of Myth Busters that I am, I decided it was off to the kitchen to find out the truth... this is what I discovered.

    To test the UNI Liver tabs I got 2 glasses and filled each with equal amounts of distilled water.

    In one glass I put a whole tablet and the other I put a tablet which I broke in half. Oh and by the way they DO sink to the bottom and not float.

    Immediately the broken tablet started to dissolve. The unbroken tablet just sat there stairing back at me. Then after about 5 minutes the broken tablet was really starting to make progress which was good to see. However the unbroken tablet was still just sitting there.

    On to the 15 minute mark. The broken tablet was more than 50% dissolved and looking good. And as for the unbroken tablet, finally, some progress. The coating had gelled and was starting to "puff" which was promising.

    Now at the 25 minute mark brought the biggest surprise. Upon inspection of the 2 samples, I had found that both tablets had almost completely dissolved (well 95%). The last 5% was that tiny unfinished bit in the middle you sometimes get, but after I swished the water around it was soon also dissolved.

    So the conclusion is, yes these bad boys dissolve just fine. And I guess if you want to increase the rate of absorption you can always break them in half with your teeth. Good news for UNI Liver, good news for dentists and good news for all of us with 500 tabs sitting in our kitchen;-)

    This myth is busted!
    Last edited by CL1NT; 10-12-2008 at 07:59 AM. Reason: typo again;-)
  19. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41245
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    And considering the stomach pH is about 3-4 with proteins in it, we're talking 100-1000x more acidic, so that should have a significant effect. Good science
  20. New Member
    mDeezy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    294
    Rep Power
    225
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    18.06%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past, but since Vit. A is insoluble in water it's good to be aware of how much you're taking. I couldn't find the amount of Vit A. in UniLiver, but upconverting from NOW's brand, there should be about 500 IU's (12%) per 2 tabs. NOW Adam has 10 000 IU's by comparison.
    Uni-Liver's label does not show that it has Vitamin A.

    I am a little concerned about my intake of Cod Liver Oil (usually 6-8g a day) though, after reading this article that discusses Vitamin A toxicity near the end:

    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...mins/vitaminA/
  21. Senior Member
    King Con's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,676
    Rep Power
    914
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    12.54%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Here is another log where someone was testing the ability to dissolve with uni livers...

    My Uni-Liver Journal
  22. New Member
    EIC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    155
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%

    I wouldn't worry about the vitamin A, fellas. Most multis have vitamin A as beta-carotene, which is not utilizable to the body until it is converted. It is, essentially, pro-vitamin A. Vitamin A in animal foods (cod liver oil, liver) comes as retinol. If you ingest all or some of your daily needs as retinol, the body will just convert less beta-carotene to vitamin A. I would only worry if you are taking tons of liver tabs AND cod liver oil.
  23. New Member
    EIC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    155
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%

    Quote Originally Posted by CL1NT View Post
    Thanks for this link, it was interesting to see the comparison of how fast the different liver tablet brands dissolve.

    I was however a little concerned when I read the following as I just received my big 500 tablet tub of UNI Liver;


    "Even more interesting, is that the Universal Uni-Liver product never showed any signs of dissolving. I continued to allow these samples to sit for another 2 hours of course, after 2 hours these would have long vacated your stomach, but in the interest of curiosity I continued on. At the end of the 2 hours time, all the other products had dissolved completely, except the Uni-Liver product remained exactly as you see it above!"


    This is bullS%#t I said to myself... So being the big fan of Myth Busters that I am, I decided it was off to the kitchen to find out the truth... this is what I discovered.

    To test the UNI Liver tabs I got 2 glasses and filled each with equal amounts of distilled water.

    In one glass I put a whole tablet and the other I put a tablet which I broke in half. Oh and by the way they DO sink to the bottom and not float.

    Immediately the broken tablet started to dissolve. The unbroken tablet just sat there stairing back at me. Then after about 5 minutes the broken tablet was really starting to make progress which was good to see. However the unbroken tablet was still just sitting there.

    On to the 15 minute mark. The broken tablet was more than 50% dissolved and looking good. And as for the unbroken tablet, finally, some progress. The coating had gelled and was starting to "puff" which was promising.

    Now at the 25 minute mark brought the biggest surprise. Upon inspection of the 2 samples, I had found that both tablets had almost completely dissolved (well 95%). The last 5% was that tiny unfinished bit in the middle you sometimes get, but after I swished the water around it was soon also dissolved.

    So the conclusion is, yes these bad boys dissolve just fine. And I guess if you want to increase the rate of absorption you can always break them in half with your teeth. Good news for UNI Liver, good news for dentists and good news for all of us with 500 tabs sitting in our kitchen;-)

    This myth is busted!
    Nice work! And, as stated by another poster, stomach acid is going to do a lot better than water. I wonder if the person in that other thread was using old Uni liver tabs or simply had an agenda? Who knows, but as long as it works, that's all that matters.
  24. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41245
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by EIC View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the vitamin A, fellas. Most multis have vitamin A as beta-carotene, which is not utilizable to the body until it is converted. It is, essentially, pro-vitamin A. Vitamin A in animal foods (cod liver oil, liver) comes as retinol. If you ingest all or some of your daily needs as retinol, the body will just convert less beta-carotene to vitamin A. I would only worry if you are taking tons of liver tabs AND cod liver oil.
    Very true.
  25. New Member
    EIC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    155
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%

    Quote Originally Posted by mDeezy View Post
    Uni-Liver's label does not show that it has Vitamin A.

    I am a little concerned about my intake of Cod Liver Oil (usually 6-8g a day) though, after reading this article that discusses Vitamin A toxicity near the end:

    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...mins/vitaminA/
    How many IU's a day are you getting from CLO?
  26. New Member
    EIC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    155
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past, but since Vit. A is insoluble in water it's good to be aware of how much you're taking. I couldn't find the amount of Vit A. in UniLiver, but upconverting from NOW's brand, there should be about 500 IU's (12%) per 2 tabs. NOW Adam has 10 000 IU's by comparison.
    Is NOW's brand defatted? If memory serves, Uni is both dehydrated and defatted. This would seem to drastically reduce the vitamin A content since, as you suggest, vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin and is lodged in fat stores (both ours and in the animals we eat).
  27. New Member
    iDShaDoW's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    75.27%

    Quote Originally Posted by EIC View Post
    Nice work! And, as stated by another poster, stomach acid is going to do a lot better than water. I wonder if the person in that other thread was using old Uni liver tabs or simply had an agenda? Who knows, but as long as it works, that's all that matters.
    If you check the dates, that guys review was first posted back at the end of July 2005. Some people replied in that same thread and bumped it and one person towards the end with a more recent reply stated that his did dissolve faster possibly signifying a change in the Uni-Liver product.

    I was hesitating to buy Uni-Liver after reading the old review but will probably end up placing an order on it once Nutraplanet gets those veggie cap ZMKs in stock.
  28. New Member
    mDeezy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    294
    Rep Power
    225
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    18.06%

    Quote Originally Posted by EIC View Post
    How many IU's a day are you getting from CLO?
    About 20,000
  29. New Member
    EIC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    155
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%

    Quote Originally Posted by mDeezy View Post
    About 20,000
    Wow, that's quite a bit, and this is coming from a guy who is a huge fan of CLO. You must be taking like 4 teaspoons of high-vitamin CLO. You should probably go easy on the liver then (or, even better, reduce your consumption of CLO).
  30. New Member
    Thanos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    182
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    48%

    Quote Originally Posted by Big BAMA View Post
    Beverly International at NutraPlanet has some good and cheap.
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/b...-500-tabs.html
    Go with the Beverly! Great stuff and trusted.
  31. New Member
    Thanos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    182
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    48%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Great link EIC. Does everybody chew their liver tabs. This is food for thought, since I was planning on picking up some Liver Tabs on my next order.
    Many people do. If you can hack it... i'd say do it. I do sometimes.
  32. New Member
    Thanos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    182
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    48%

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
    I read somewhere on here that someone added liver tabs to thier diet and supplement plan and gained something like 5lbs of lean mass just from adding in the tabs? I took the post at face value and didnt think much of it, but it sparked my interest in what they are good for

    Just LOL.
  33. New Member
    mDeezy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    294
    Rep Power
    225
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    18.06%

    Quote Originally Posted by EIC View Post
    Wow, that's quite a bit, and this is coming from a guy who is a huge fan of CLO. You must be taking like 4 teaspoons of high-vitamin CLO. You should probably go easy on the liver then (or, even better, reduce your consumption of CLO).
    Yeah, I've decided to reduce my intake to 3-4g of CLO a day (about 10,000 IU Vit. A) and I'll continue to use 8 Uni-Liver a day. I'm going to substitute some regular fish oil to get the additional EPA and DHA without the excess Vit. A.
  34. UniversalUSA.com
    Universal Rep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,779
    Rep Power
    965
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    21.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Glad to see such a lively discussion about liver tabs on AM. On many forums, members would likely dismiss liver tabs as "old school". But as I always say, old school don't mean it's obsolete. For those who use it, I'm guessin' the vast majority are extremely loyal to it. But for newbies, it's like with all the sizzle that's out there in the supp industry, it's hard talking about something that's been around since what, the 70s?
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Liver Tabs
    By Universal Rep in forum Supplements
    Replies: 503
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM
  2. liver tabs on a cut?
    By bboyflash in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 06:16 AM
  3. Liver tabs: What's your take?
    By boxmeman in forum Supplements
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 05:44 PM
  4. Liver Tabs
    By Mancolt in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 02:56 AM
  5. Those of you that use liver tabs
    By hamper19 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 10:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in