Sesathin improves sleep architecture

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sesathin is a selective PPAR-alpha agonist so this is pretty sweet....

PPARalpha is a potential therapeutic target of drugs to treat circadian rhythm sleep disorders.
Shirai H, Oishi K, Kudo T, Shibata S, Ishida N.

Clock Cell Biology Research Group, Institute for Biological Resources and Functions, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8566, Japan.

Recent progress at the molecular level has revealed that nuclear receptors play an important role in the generation of mammalian circadian rhythms. To examine whether peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPARalpha) is involved in the regulation of circadian behavioral rhythms in mammals, we evaluated the locomotor activity of mice administered with the hypolipidemic PPARalpha ligand, bezafibrate. Circadian locomotor activity was phase-advanced about 3h in mice given bezafibrate under light-dark (LD) conditions. Transfer from LD to constant darkness did not change the onset of activity in these mice, suggesting that bezafibrate advanced the phase of the endogenous clock. Surprisingly, bezafibrate also advanced the phase in mice with lesions of the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN; the central clock in mammals). The circadian expression of clock genes such as period2, BMAL1, and Rev-erbalpha was also phase-advanced in various tissues (cortex, liver, and fat) without affecting the SCN. Bezafibrate also phase-advanced the activity phase that is delayed in model mice with delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) due to a Clock gene mutation. Our results indicated that PPARalpha is involved in circadian clock control independently of the SCN and that PPARalpha could be a potent target of drugs to treat circadian rhythm sleep disorders including DSPS.

PMID: 17449013

Click here to read Links
CLOCK is involved in the circadian transactivation of peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPARalpha) in mice.
Oishi K, Shirai H, Ishida N.

Clock Cell Biology Research Group, Institute for Biological Resources and Functions, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Central 6, 1-1-1 Higashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8566, Japan.

PPARalpha (peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor alpha) is a member of the nuclear receptor superfamily of ligand-activated transcription factors that regulate the expression of genes associated with lipid metabolism. In the present study, we show that circadian expression of mouse PPARalpha mRNA requires the basic helix-loop-helix PAS (Per-Arnt-Sim) protein CLOCK, a core component of the negative-feedback loop that drives circadian oscillators in mammals. The circadian expression of PPARalpha mRNA was abolished in the liver of homozygous Clock mutant mice. Using wild-type and Clock-deficient fibroblasts derived from homozygous Clock mutant mice, we showed that the circadian expression of PPARalpha mRNA is regulated by the peripheral oscillators in a CLOCK-dependent manner. Transient transfection and EMSAs (electrophoretic mobility-shift assays) revealed that the CLOCK-BMAL1 (brain and muscle Arnt-like protein 1) heterodimer transactivates the PPARalpha gene via an E-box-rich region located in the second intron. This region contained two perfect E-boxes and four E-box-like motifs within 90 bases. ChIP (chromatin immunoprecipitation) also showed that CLOCK associates with this E-box-rich region in vivo. Circadian expression of PPARalpha mRNA was intact in the liver of insulin-dependent diabetic and of adrenalectomized mice, suggesting that endogenous insulin and glucocorticoids are not essential for the rhythmic expression of the PPARalpha gene. These results suggested that CLOCK plays an important role in lipid homoeostasis by regulating the transcription of a key protein, PPARalpha.

PMID: 15500444

PPARalpha is involved in photoentrainment of the circadian clock.
Oishi K, Shirai H, Ishida N.

Clock Cell Biology Research Group, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan.

We found that bezafibrate, a ligand of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPARalpha), advances the active phase of mice under light-dark (LD) conditions in a photoperiod-dependent manner. Bezafibrate gradually advanced the activity onset that consequently almost completely reversed the active phase from the dark to the light period under a long photoperiod (18 h of light and 6 h of darkness: LD 18 : 6). The activity onset was not changed under a short photoperiod (LD 8 : 16) or under constant illumination. These observations suggest that PPARalpha is involved in entrainment of the circadian clock to environmental LD conditions.

PMID: 18287953

Bezafibrate, a Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptors Agonist, Decreases Body Temperature and Enhances Electroencephalogram Delta-Oscillation during Sleep in Mice.
Chikahisa S, Tominaga K, Kawai T, Kitaoka K, Oishi K, Ishida N, Rokutan K, S?i H.

Department of Integrative Physiology, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima 770-8503, Japan. [email protected].

Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) are ligand-activated transcription factors belonging to the nuclear receptor family. PPARs play a critical role in lipid and glucose metabolism. We examined whether chronic treatment with bezafibrate, a PPAR agonist, would alter sleep and body temperature (BT). Mice fed with a control diet were monitored for BT, electroencephalogram (EEG), and electromyogram for 48 h under light-dark conditions. After obtaining the baseline recording, the mice were provided with bezafibrate-supplemented food for 2 wk, after which the same recordings were performed. Two-week feeding of bezafibrate decreased BT, especially during the latter half of the dark period. BT rhythm and sleep/wake rhythm were phase advanced about 2-3 h by bezafibrate treatment. Bezafibrate treatment also increased the EEG delta-power in nonrapid eye movement sleep compared with the control diet attenuating its daily amplitude. Furthermore, bezafibrate-treated mice showed no rebound of EEG delta-power in nonrapid eye movement sleep after 6 h sleep deprivation, whereas values in control mice largely increased relative to baseline. DNA microarray, and real-time RT-PCR analysis showed that bezafibrate treatment increased levels of Neuropeptide Y mRNA in the hypothalamus at both Zeitgeber time (ZT) 10 and ZT22, and decreased proopiomelanocortin-alpha mRNA in the hypothalamus at ZT10. These findings demonstrate that PPARs participate in the control of both BT and sleep regulation, which accompanied changes in gene expression in the hypothalamus. Activation of PPARs may enhance deep sleep and improve resistance to sleep loss.

PMID: 18787029

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not to mention it being one of the truly effective products to help you burn fat while you sleep.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not to mention it being one of the truly effective products to help you burn fat while you sleep.
Dsade is it okay to take before bed?

I used to take it a few years ago. from what I remember it is. just making sure.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dsade is it okay to take before bed?

I used to take it a few years ago. from what I remember it is. just making sure.
absolutely.

i am going to be focusing some time on PPAR activity during sleep, as I find that dosing both DCP and Sesathin before bed is extremely effective.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
Nutra's bulk sesathin seems to have a 'chill out' effect on me. Not really significant, but definitely noticeable. :)

jpk

jpk

Awards
DSade,

Sorry to stalk you down here but I'm curious if we'll be seeing the Nutra PEA/Hordenine in stock soon. I'm putting together a fat-burning/nootropic stack for the wife.

Thanks big D

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
DSade,

Sorry to stalk you down here but I'm curious if we'll be seeing the Nutra PEA/Hordenine in stock soon. I'm putting together a fat-burning/nootropic stack for the wife.

Thanks big D
I didn't realize it was out of stock...let me check with Sam.