New to the supplement world....

TatCat

TatCat

Awards
And a new poster here. Just a little about myself first.
I'm 52 years old, and up until about 4 years ago, weighed in at 300 pounds. I worked my way down to 195, then started a weight training regimen. I'm now at about 212 and feel stronger than i have since i was about 30. I've gotten to the point that i want more and have decided to go after it. Presently, i'm in the gym 4 days a week (sometimes 5) and this has been going on for about 14 months now. I want to start taking supplements to boost muscle mass and strength/stamina. Was thinking to start with something like MuscleTech's Nitro-Tech and Cell-Tech along with a test. booster and an NOS. Anyone see a problem with taking the anti-aromatase Novedex XT and PowerFULL at the same time? Would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations on this.

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
First off, Congrats on such phenomenol results and welcome to AM:box:...Secondly dont buy any MT stuff they are WAY too overpriced, just buy some optimum nutrition's whey or something similar...I would personally suggest drive, rpm stack...there is a great sale going on at np...or a nice natty test boosting stack...including drive, divanex, and maybe even some low dosed hyperdrol...there are MANY options out there and im sure there will be plenty of very knowledgable people help you out with what u need...

TatCat

TatCat

Awards
I know MT is a bit pricey, but i do want whatever is the best. Price is really not a consideration. I've heard a lot about this site to from guys at work and can't wait to learn what i can from the people here.

TatCat

TatCat

Awards
Ok. Maybe i was misled as to how much help this would be.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Welcome and great job!

MT is an alright company, and there products are good... on paper anyways........They are just overpriced..........But so is alot of stuff.......

I suggest you read, read and read some more........

Define your goals and then make decisions on how to accomplish them.(seems like you do this well already)

What is your diet and training...........We honestly need to see this before we can say......Take this "magic pill".........

Diet FIRST
Training Second
Sleep Third
Water- lots of it

Then your basics.......

Amino Acids
Proteins
EFA's
Multi Vitamin

Need to start there......

Good luck bro.......Keep coming back.

MaxGolf

MaxGolf

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • Established
You came to the right board. There are a lot of good bros on here. Defiantly take advantage of the search feature.

Reading up on as much as you can should be # 1.

Kristofer68ss has the right idea.(good info bro)

Here is a stack you might want to take a look at. Primordial Performance
Lean Muscle Stack

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Welcome and great job!

MT is an alright company, and there products are good... on paper anyways........They are just overpriced..........But so is alot of stuff.......

Define your goals and then make decisions on how to accomplish them.(seems like you do this well already)

What is your diet and training...........We honestly need to see this before we can say......Take this "magic pill".........

Diet FIRST
Training Second
Sleep Third
Water- lots of it

Then your basics.......

Amino Acids
Proteins
EFA's
Multi Vitamin

All you need to know for beginning right here, though I would also add in Creatine to the mix from the get go.

TatCat

TatCat

Awards
Welcome and great job!

Diet FIRST
Training Second
Sleep Third
Water- lots of it

Then your basics.......

Amino Acids
Proteins
EFA's
Multi Vitamin

Diet consists of a lot of higher protien foods (tuna,salmon,beef and chicken) and lots of fresh fruits and veggies (steamed of course) Maybe 3/4 cup cooked pasta a day. There's about 15 different vitamins and herbs (flaxseed,VitE,b-complex, garlic,magnesium,zinc,beta carotene,potassium, folic acid, hawthorne berries, saw palmetto, ginkgo biloba, calcium, C, and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. Throw a Centrum Silver in on top of it all) Also 10,000mg of panax ginseng extract.

Workouts (at least 4 times/week) consist of at least 3 miles on the treadmill to start (speed range between 4 and 6mph varied throughout) Rotate weights by days. Arms (forearms to shoulders)1st day, chest/upper back 2nd day and legs/glutes 3rd.(all days include core work on abs/waist/lower back.) Sessions usually run about 2-2.5 hours

Sleep has been a problem as i only avg about 7 hours (rarely straight through)but i've read a good test. booster will help with that.

Hydration isn't a problem i don't think. I fill a gallon jug every morning and usually by 3pm it's gone. Aside from that i go through about 4 16oz glasses of green tea.

As far as setting goals and making choices to reach them, i'm kind of limited. I've been told i need to set incremental goals and to switch up stacks from time to time. I also know very little about the supps that have been suggested (by people i know here). Of course i've read the research articles on the various choices, but how much can you trust "in house" testing of products? That's why i've come here. I figure you people have probably tried many of them and know from first hand experience what works and what doesn't.

TatCat

TatCat

Awards
Ok kris, i've got the amino acids down (one of the reasons i was going with the Nitro-Tech. Liked the amino acid matrix), the protiens and the vitamins, but what's EFA's?
And yeah dsade, the creatine is a must.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok kris, i've got the amino acids down (one of the reasons i was going with the Nitro-Tech. Liked the amino acid matrix), the protiens and the vitamins, but what's EFA's?
Fish Oil...Nutraplanet has a smokin deal on them.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
EFA's........Essential fatty acids

Products In Health & Wellness » EFA's

Depending on your goals still..........I think you have too much cardio and spending too much time in gym..........2.5 hours + is a long time in the gym......... You may be possibly hindering muscle gain with that much cardio.

Total caloric intake is still low i presume? 2500-2700 or so? maybe more at your weight.

Seems like you got everything pretty spot on......

I would do research, and no offense but get in here and do some reading

35 and Older

You maybe ready for some test boosters and or muscle builders.........If you can I would suggest a hormonal blood test to see where your baseline numbers are..........

Not to dig in your business, but i would presume a PSA among other things need to be checked as well.

Good luck man....... Sounds like your on the right track.......Keep a chuggin.

TatCat

TatCat

Awards
kris, far as the tread work goes, i'm keeping heart rate mostly below cardio level and in the fat burn area.(around 120-125). I finish out with about 5 minutes at around 140 so i get a good carry-over to weights to keep metabolism high. I did leave some facts out about my weights. I've been doing 2 weeks on heavy weight (as much as i can stand doing cycles of 15/12/10/8 reps) then a week at about 60-70% with more reps. And a week consists of 2 days in, 1 day break, 2 days in then 2 day break. Some times that 2 day break turns to 1 depending on my slack work schedule. (I'm sort of semi-retired. Only work 2 or 3 days/week mostly) To tell the truth, i love the feel of the "burn" in my muscles after a good workout.

You're pretty close with the caloric intake. Right about 2500/day up until about 2 weeks ago when i started using the Nitro-Tech. That boosted it up to 3200 and i have noticed the difference.

Getting the EFA's too, though not sure of the level of intake that's best. I do a supp of 1000mg of omega-3 fish oil daily along with fish a couple times/week and walnuts.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IMO, you should up your fish oil intake to 3-5 grams a day.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
i recomend Anabolic Pump from what i hear it is a very great product. it has been recomended to me by many people. i havent been able to get it because my pockets are a bit shallow right now.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Great work! you have done well so far... a lot of people do not like MT products, they are over priced, and they have "kitchen sink" formulas... they add in a lot of extra ingredients at doses that are to low to have any effect, so when you read the label it LOOKS more effective. then they make crazy ads about 7lbs of muscle in 7 days.

cell tech = creatine mono w/ 75g sugar basically
as a creatine product id recomend... neovar recomped or if money is no issue Sizeon is MY favorite

Nitro Tech = Whey, all whey has a decent amino profile, i recommend scivation (cheap effective) protein is really a choice of taste and cost.

other then that a good multi (centrum performance, ast multi 32x, animal pack) and fish oil and lots of water!

- thats really all you need to start with, protein, creatine, multi, fish oil. get those then learn about others.

any questions feel free to ask

TatCat

TatCat

Awards
IMO, you should up your fish oil intake to 3-5 grams a day.
That's the same thing the doc said. My problem is i have a hard time thinking "metric". Never dawned on me that 1000mg only equals 1g. DOH!! Thanks for the reminder. Also, i guess i should have read the label instead of assuming. It says to take 3 a day as a supplement to diet.:frustrate

TatCat

TatCat

Awards
Thanks matt, i'll check it out. That's a USP Labs product isn't it?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just wanted to say welcome aboard, great job in getting your life and health back, and your in very good hands.

Nutraplanet is the way to go, outstanding deals. I liked the sound of the TNT stack so I grabbed a couple. Just thought it be something someone my age would want to take a look at. I know what it's like when age starts to creep up on you and your just not getting the same benefits for all your hard work. There are definitely some herbals that will help you do that, but make sure your diet is good and you have the basics covered.

Good luck and do a lot of reading there is a lot of good alternatives and this is the place to learn about them.

TatCat

TatCat

Awards
Great work! you have done well so far... a lot of people do not like MT products, they are over priced, and they have "kitchen sink" formulas... they add in a lot of extra ingredients at doses that are to low to have any effect, so when you read the label it LOOKS more effective. then they make crazy ads about 7lbs of muscle in 7 days.

cell tech = creatine mono w/ 75g sugar basically
as a creatine product id recomend... neovar recomped or if money is no issue Sizeon is MY favorite

Nitro Tech = Whey, all whey has a decent amino profile, i recommend scivation (cheap effective) protein is really a choice of taste and cost.

other then that a good multi (centrum performance, ast multi 32x, animal pack) and fish oil and lots of water!

- thats really all you need to start with, protein, creatine, multi, fish oil. get those then learn about others.

any questions feel free to ask
I really don't pay much attention to the "claims". Found the "7 pounds in 7 days" claim to be a bit unbelievable.And i'll give the SizeOn a try. Far as price it can't be THAT much worse than the MT.
And "taste" is a huge consideration for protien. I 've tried some that leaves me feeling like i've just strained a turd between my teeth.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Wow, you've made some awesome progress already. We're polar opposites - i started training to break 140 pounds.

to help you sleep you can go with either a ZMA product, which works wonders (and is super cheap), or a GH booster (look for L-dopa in the ingredients). A good protein would be any of Optimum Nutrition's Whey products. MRM's metabolic whey is really good too, but if your blender isn't top-notch, it clumps like crazy. If you're lean bulking, be careful with the fast digesting carbs (Cell Tech is loaded with them), and stick to the slower digesting ones.

Secondly, Welcome to AM brotha.

for creatine products, you can also look under Supplement Reviews / Logs for different training logs. Controlled Labs creatines and CRE-02 by MST seem to be quite popular as of late.

If boosting muscle mass and strength is your goal, you might want to look into a stack of creatine/beta alanine. You might want to also switch out your centrum for either AST multi pro or Controlled Labs orange triad. over the counter multi vites are for normal people (that includes couch potatoes, not atheletes). Good luck in your quest, and again, welcome to the brotherhood of iron.

EDIT: almost forgot, caffeine can affect absorption of NO products, so if an NO product is what you want, take it before you switch over to green tea for the day.

hopeful

Awards
I really don't pay much attention to the "claims". Found the "7 pounds in 7 days" claim to be a bit unbelievable.And i'll give the SizeOn a try. Far as price it can't be THAT much worse than the MT.
And "taste" is a huge consideration for protien. I 've tried some that leaves me feeling like i've just strained a turd between my teeth.

true mass has a real good taset and it has 50 grams of protein per drink...

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
mt sux! dont fall for there marketing bro!

oh and welcome to am!