Innocent heart murmur - AnabolicMinds.com

Innocent heart murmur

1. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

Innocent heart murmur

I was in two minds on which section to put this in but i'll just throw it in here! So i've got an innocent heart murmur and have done since i was born.

Its never given me any problems at all. But i was just wondering if any supps could have any negative effect on me due to the murmur. I've been using RPM successfully for a few weeks now and have done a few cycles of Activate Extreme. Any kind of supps that i should avoid since i have a heart murmur? Ta!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.

You might want to run something like this by your doctor. Give him a list of ingredients of the supps that you plan to take or are taking and see what the doc has to say about them.
  3. Board Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Big Wides View Post
    You might want to run something like this by your doctor. Give him a list of ingredients of the supps that you plan to take or are taking and see what the doc has to say about them.
    Agreed.

I would avoid stimulants (RPM) or at least back down to 1 cap per dose,intil your doc gives you the go ahead.

Fish oil and Sesathin would be god for heart health with dosing as follows:
    Sesathin 1 cap with 3 meals
    3 grams epa/dha with last meal of the day,try not to consume the Sesa and fish oil within 6 hours of one another.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Agreed.

I would avoid stimulants (RPM) or at least back down to 1 cap per dose,intil your doc gives you the go ahead.

Fish oil and Sesathin would be god for heart health with dosing as follows:
    Sesathin 1 cap with 3 meals
    3 grams epa/dha with last meal of the day,try not to consume the Sesa and fish oil within 6 hours of one another.
    I'm getting in EPA 1800mg and DHA 1200mg a day at the moment, was planning on doubling it when i get my next order in from NP. I've read a few sites on heart murmur's and they all say stuff like if its an Innocent heart murmur things are alright unless you show signs of symptoms. Think i'll go to the docs anyway just to be on the safe side
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  5. Board Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    I'm getting in EPA 1800mg and DHA 1200mg a day at the moment, was planning on doubling it when i get my next order in from NP. I've read a few sites on heart murmur's and they all say stuff like if its an Innocent heart murmur things are alright unless you show signs of symptoms. Think i'll go to the docs anyway just to be on the safe side
    I would not base the future of my health on possibilities,even a benign heart murmur may manifest itself as an undesirable several years ahead.It may be something of a progressive sort as well,in either case preventative measures would likely stave off future cardiac problems.

The abstract below denotes synergy between epa/dha and sesamin WRT increased fat oxidation.I am sure that there is other synergy at play between the two,such as increasing the effects of fish oil on the heart.I'd present the abstract to your doctor for his opinion and do some research on Pubmed.com of your own,you can probably turn up some evidence of sesamin increasing the efficacy of fish oil in all respects.

I would also picxk up some COQ10 for heart health,which also lessens DOMS and positively modulates body composition,over the long term.hawthorn berry would also be a good choice WRT another preventitive measure.

Dietary sesamin and docosahexaenoic and eicosapentaenoic acids synergistically increase the gene expression of enzymes involved in hepatic peroxisomal fatty acid oxidation in rats.
    Arachchige PG, Takahashi Y, Ide T.

Laboratory of Nutritional Biochemistry, National Food Research Institute, Tsukuba 305-8642, Japan.

The interaction of sesamin, one of the most abundant lignans in sesame seed, and highly purified docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) or eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) in the form of ethyl ester in affecting hepatic fatty acid oxidation was examined in rats. In the first experiment, 3 groups of rats were fed with purified experimental diets free of n-3 fatty acid ethyl ester and containing 0%, 0.2%, and 0.4% sesamin (1:1 mixture of sesamin and episesamin), and 2 groups of animals were fed with a 2% DHA ethyl ester diet containing either 0% or 0.2% sesamin. In the second trial, 4 groups of rats were fed with either a 0% or a 2% EPA ethyl ester diet containing 0% or 0.2% sesamin. After 15 days of feeding, DHA and EPA ethyl esters added to a sesamin-free diet little affected the activity and messenger RNA (mRNA) levels of various enzymes involved in fatty acid oxidation. Sesamin increased the activity levels of various hepatic enzymes involved in fatty acid oxidation irrespective of the presence or absence of n-3 fatty acid ethyl ester in diets. However, the diet containing sesamin and DHA or EPA ethyl ester in combination increased many of these parameters synergistically. In particular, the peroxisomal palmitoyl-coenzyme A oxidation rate and acyl-coenzyme A oxidase activity level were much higher in rats fed with sesamin and DHA or EPA in combination than in animals fed with a diet free of n-3 fatty acid ethyl ester and containing sesamin. Analyses of mRNA levels revealed that a diet simultaneously containing sesamin and n-3 fatty acid ethyl ester increased the gene expression of various enzymes involved in peroxisomal fatty acid oxidation in a synergistic manner. However, the combination of sesamin and n-3 fatty acid ethyl esters was ineffective in causing a synergistic increase in mRNA levels of enzymes of mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation, microsomal cytochrome P-450 IV A1, and cytosolic liver-type fatty acid-binding protein. It was concluded that sesamin and DHA or EPA ethyl ester synergistically increased hepatic fatty acid oxidation primarily through up-regulation of the gene expression of peroxisomal fatty acid oxidation enzymes. The results essentially reproduced those observed in our previous study with a diet containing both fish oil and sesamin despite the fact that DHA and EPA ethyl esters were much less effective than fish oil in increasing hepatic fatty acid oxidation.

PMID: 16483883

One of the two Sesathin write ups from mindandmuscle.net is below,the site is down ATM due to the upcoming M&M store so if interested you could access the other article in a day or so.

Sesamin is a naturally occurring lignan present in sesame oil. Sesamin, as sold commercially and as used in the great majority of the literature, is actually a 50-50 mixture of sesamin and its isomer epi-sesamin. It possesses great potential for decreasing fat mass and in fighting obesity and metabolic syndrome, via its potent positive effects on fatty acid oxidation and adipogenic gene expression. And, with research showing very strong correlations between inflammation, oxidative stress, obesity, and Metabolic Syndrome X, sesamin’s anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties could be just as important, if not more so.

It also has the potential to stack very well with other supplements that modulate these systems, such as LeptiGen, stimulants, androgens, and Ab-Solved.

Super Fish-Oil

The first study that struck me with sesamin was one showing it to be about 10-fold more potent than fish oil, in positively modulating expression of a battery of genes involved in storage and metabolism of triglycerides.

The obvious target for mediation is PPAR-alpha, as it is known to affect most of these. Another known mechanism of fish oil is via alteration of phospholipid membrane structure and properties – specifically, it promotes an increase in the unsaturation index of fatty acids, which is associated with increased lipolysis, increased leanness, and better insulin sensitivity.

A less obvious target, 3 years ago, was via mediation of inflammation/redox.

And Beyond

But, Sesamin also had some positive effects on gene expression not shared by fish-oils. A possible target for this is PPAR-gamma antagonism, though it increases gamma-tocephorol levels, and that is a PPAR-gamma AGONIST. Spook has also mentioned sesamin as an agonist, but I have never seen this, and it is in contrast to the way it mediates gene expression.

Alternatively, being both a more potent PPAR-alpha agonist, as well as being a potent anti-oxidant, it could be a matter of its superior mediation of inflammation and cellular REDOX state.

Let’s look at all of this in more detail. Make note of all of the overlap and tie ins between PPAR, Lipogenic genes, fatty acid levels, obesity, insulin resistance, VAT, stress, inflammation, and REDOX. You may also notice how much it all ties in with previous writings by myself and Spook on leptin and cortisol.

Well, I did not get this done in time for the magazine release, so this teaser will have to do for a few days. And, to make up for it, I have also thrown in some bonus material for your reading pleasure.

A great many of you who are interested in sesamin learned about it and become intrigued by it, as a result of the following post, by Spook, about a year and a half ago. We’ve learned a lot since then, especially in regard to inflammation, the RAS-HPA system, REDOX, and their association with obesity and Metabolic Syndrome X, but it remains a damn good post.

What does it do:

Sesamin has a host of benefits. First it boosts hepatic (liver) and muscular mitochondria oxidation of fatty acids as well as boosting peroxisome fatty acid oxidation. Particularly episesamin is extremely potent boosting these two actions buy 2.1 hold and 5.1 hold in rats. When coupled with a diet rich in omega-3 fats (they seem to work synergistically) episesamin boosted them by 12.2 and 20.1 respectively. Now that’s freaking impressive. It does this buy causing the DNA transcription of CPT (carnitine palmitoyl transferase) which is the rate limiting quantity in beta oxidation of fats in skeletal muscle and liver cells. So the gist is you burn more fat plain and simple.

It also protects the liver and kidneys. It prevents fatty liver from chronic ethanol ingestion. It has been used to treat stomach cancer in particular but also seems it may have some other uses as a cancer treatment. Finally it keeps vitamin E levels high either by recycling it or buy preventing its oxidation entirely (no one knows which for sure).

One last great affect of ingestion of these compounds is along with a boost in lipid metabolism it simultaneously lowers lipogenic enzymes in the liver, reducing the amount of fats that are esterfied for storage in adipose tissue. Rats fed a diet consisting of 0.4% sesmamin had four times less lipogenic enzymes in there liver cells.

Oh and it has very potent effects on blood cholesterol—along the lines of lipotor.

Why am I so excited about this stuff?

First and foremost a doubling of mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation it and of itself is fantastic. But a 20- fold increase in peroxisomal beta oxidation is even more impressive as it does not have the same self-regulating mechanisms that mitochondrial oxidation does. You burn too much fat and citrate buildup will shut down further fat oxidation. But not so with peroxisomal oxidation. So the bottom line is if there are lipids in your blood stream it will oxidize them. This is where the bulk of the research on this stuff is done. It was used in investigations on hyperlipidemia (lots of fat in your blood) which is common in diabetics. So coupled with the standard fat loss stuff that causes adipose to release its payload. Sesamin will cause more fat to be burned and less of it to get reintegrated into adipose tissue at the next meal.

Just as important, and what makes this so amazing, is that it exerts these effects in a Fed State. That’s right you read that correctly: in a Fed State. Can someone say nutrient partitioning agent? Imagine bulking but your muscle is burning 20 times more fat when at rest. Imagine how many damn calories you could consume and still stay lean. In fact all of these studies where I am pulling numbers from are FED ANIMALS and FED TYPE I and II DIABETICS !!!! Imagine what Sesamin will do in a fasted state. We all know insulin is talked about a lot when it comes to nutrient partitioning, but I think this handles the other side of the equation. So basically sesamin can be used during maintenance or bulking to stay lean and make sure you burn more fat at rest. And, Sesamin can also be used during a diet burn a lot more fat.

So to summarize the benefits:

1. Huge increase in fat burning.
    2. Burn more fat when dieting and when FED.
    3. Protects the liver from necrosis.
    4. Protects the kidneys from renal failure.
    5. Improves cholesterol profile dramatically.
    6. Has anti-cancer properties.
    7. Protects or elevates vitamin E in the blood stream.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

hey, cheers for all the info Colin. defo going to get some Sesamin. Went to my doctors today. He said my murmur shouldn't cause me any problems but also said stims arn't good for me neither. Got an appointment next week to get some bloodtests done just for general health. He was suprised that i wanted to get my cholesterol checked aswell :P
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Heart Murmur and using steroids
    By d00fy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 07:11 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 03:59 PM
  3. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 08:15 PM