Low Cosrtisol levels

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
With all these anti-cort supps out there and their seemingly growing popularity, what are the down-side risks and side offects if one were to lower cort too low? What would happen/what would users experience with low cort levels?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
With all these anti-cort supps out there and their seemingly growing popularity, what are the down-side risks and side offects if one were to lower cort too low? What would happen/what would users experience with low cort levels?
Cortisol is not a bad thing IMO. Just like estrogen plays a function in the body, so does cortisol.

Look into Addison's disease. It's where the body doesn't produce enough cortisol and the patient has to ingest oral hydrocortisone. Low blood pressure, hypoglycemia.

Our bodies are designed a certain way, and when you mess with these levels, there will be good things that happen, but also bad things. It's just natures way of evening things out.

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
Cortisol is not a bad thing IMO. Just like estrogen plays a function in the body, so does cortisol.

Look into Addison's disease. It's where the body doesn't produce enough cortisol and the patient has to ingest oral hydrocortisone. Low blood pressure, hypoglycemia.

Our bodies are designed a certain way, and when you mess with these levels, there will be good things that happen, but also bad things. It's just natures way of evening things out.
Well said.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Its desirable to have a peak in cortisol in the early morning and upon waking, but there is a problem with having high cortisol levels throughout the day – which leads to adrenal fatigue which can then cause side effects associated with having too low of cortisol.

One good example of something that lowers cortisol is protein. Another example is something like phosphatidylserine, which reduces the stimulus of cortisol release from the brain. This is an essential nutrient, that may actually help prevent adrenal fatigue by taking a load off the adrenals. [by reducing their cortisol output]

Keeping blood sugar and insulin levels down during the day will also help manage hypercortisolemia (high cortisol levels), along with small protein based meals. Getting at least 8-9 hours of sleep will keep cortisol levels at a healthy level too.

All of these things are just associated with good muscle building physiology.

-Pp

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm lost here. Isn't hypoadrenia (adrenal fatigue) essentially caused from too much systemic cortisol and the subsequent LOWERED cortisol levels? If so, wouldn't you want a product like Reset-AD which INCREASES cortisol levels?

I thought PS would be good for HIGH levels of Cortisol and not low levels. Sorry, this cortisol thingy confuses me.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm lost here. Isn't hypoadrenia (adrenal fatigue) essentially caused from too much systemic cortisol and the subsequent LOWERED cortisol levels? If so, wouldn't you want a product like Reset-AD which INCREASES cortisol levels?

I thought PS would be good for HIGH levels of Cortisol and not low levels. Sorry, this cortisol thingy confuses me.
Imagine this…

You have a slave worker that is not producing. [adrenal gland not producing enough cortisol]

Should you whip him to produce more? Or allow him to work less, rest and come back strong?

Odds are you could get more work out of him in the long run if you allowed him to rest.

Remember, adrenal fatigue is caused by the adrenals producing too much cortisol. The only real fix for it is to remove the stress from your life [physiological or psychological], get extra rest, and replenish your vital nutrients. [PS being a vital nutrient] You essentially have to take a step back, before you can take a step forward with adrenal fatigue.

-Pp

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
ahhh, making sense now. thanks!