wieghtlifting and alcohol

jman3967

Awards
obviously alcohol and lifting dont mix. it messes up protein synthesis, lowers test, raises estrogen, etc etc. my question is, if you have to drink, what supplements are best to take before, during, and (if you can remember) after you get done drinking. im pledging for a frat this semester and will inevitably end up drinking quite a bit.

i have posiedon, glutamine, and 6 oxo on hand which im thinking will help with protien synthesis, test, and estorgen levels but what other supps should i take? and when should i take them?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
im pledging for a frat this semester and will inevitably end up drinking quite a bit.
If your willpower won't allow you to keep your priorities in order, no supplement in the world can help you.

You can have fun without drinking, or at least with out drinking a lot.

That being said, I used to take activated charcoal after a night of excess and it helped me wake up without a hangover.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I don't mean to sound condescending, but this question sounds a little foolish IMO. If you're really into lifting, then your drive to be bigger and stronger should overcome your want to drink beer. I know several guys in frats that lift and they hardly drink at all (if ever for some)

If you're really serious about this, then give up drinking (or make it a rare thing) There are no supps out there that fix a weak self control. You gotta set your priorities. Good luck man

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Damnit bob, you're always one step ahead of me!!!

simpleton

Banned
Awards
life's too short to be overly concerned about a hobby to the point that it takes over your life. if you want to drink, drink. just don't make it a habitual thing. once/twice a week i doubt is really going to hinder your gains to the point where it's going to make a noticeable difference, unless you're on cycle.

just make sure to get your protein in, and the majority of your good meals in before you decide to drink. and try to stick to liquor.

jman3967

Awards
good points. i used to drink a lot in highschool and my first semester of college untill i started lifting. when i say that im gonna be drinking, im meaning its gonna be slightly less than an 'optional' decision. i have a strong will power and go out to bars and clubs without even having a sip anymore. i eat clean and train hard its just the pledging is the issue for this semester.

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
alright, i know your are drinking red wine. Red wine contains reservatrol. But not enough. You need to supplment with trans-reversatrol, the best natural anti estrogen there is. It counter-reverse of what you think alcohol does.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
If you want to get instantly 'ripped' don't drink too much water or anything else one day, get drunk at night, wake up with a head RIPPING hangover, take off your shirt and enjoy.

Take a pic of yourself before this and after and you'll see that it's stupid but it'll work as you just massively dehydrated yourself in a span of a night hahaha

But then again, once you drink your first two cups of water or anything like that you're back to your ole self.

Alcohol ain't worth it, that's the point. If you want to relax your muscles each night just smoke/vaporize weed.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not a good mix if you are serious about bodybuilding. Get some phenibut.

jman3967

Awards
ya i know its not a good mix lol. im not one of those people who half a$$ things, ive been lifting for about 8 months and have been completely tuned into my diet and training. strenght wise ive blown past kids who i used to think i would never be stronger than so it tells me i must be doing something right. im starting bill stars 5x5 again so i can follow something where i can have goals to hit every week and tell how much progress im making/losing week to week

aside from posiedon and glutamine, i think trans resveratrol would be a nice addition. any other additions as far as supps go?

flobot ive tried that dehydrated look the next morning haha it works

what exactly is phenibut? i googled it and didnt find much on it besides enhancing mood

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Not a good mix if you are serious about bodybuilding. Get some phenibut.
Phenibut is great stuff but if you decide to go this route use the phenibut in moderation as it can be addictive if used over long periods of time.

Also, you may want to avoid mixing it with alcohol... while this does get you pretty lit its not all that great for you.

That being said a solid night of binge drinking is probably just as bad.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Phenibut is great stuff but if you decide to go this route use the phenibut in moderation as it can be addictive if used over long periods of time.

Also, you may want to avoid mixing it with alcohol... while this does get you pretty lit its not all that great for you.

That being said a solid night of binge drinking is probably just as bad.
Please tell me you're not lecturing trip about phenibut?

Get a clue usf, seriously! :thumbsup:

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
both thc and alcohol increase estrogen levels. but everything is fine is in moderation. but id have to say alchol is worse for you muscles than thc. At least thc is anabolic in the way that it reduces cortisol and increases appetite.

j4ever

Awards
if you want to drink then drink but keep it in moderation when i was in my best condition i would go out once every 4 weeks just to drink, hangout and get f'd up once in awhile will not hinder your progress sounds like overall you got it in check

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
I think some of the people here are missing the point that your drinking will not be optional.

That being said, joining a frat is optional.

If I was you, I would just stop supplementing all together while pledging. Try to eat well, keep working out, and just realize that your gains won't be maximized for the next 4 months.

Daminals

Daminals

Awards
As said above theres responsible way of doin things. I stay healthy and fit but I'm not a pro bodybuilder and never would want to be. I like to unwind sometimes with a drink :thumbsup:

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
both thc and alcohol increase estrogen levels.
actually..techhnically what happens is that both of these compounds lower testosterone, it isnt that estrogen is increased. estrogen levels stay constant, but what actually happens is the testosterone gets so low that it never gets back up to the level it was originally at. both thc and alcohol contain phyto-estrogens which are estrogen similar strands, the thc releases it when burned and the alcohol releases it during the fermentation process. the more you know...

but anyways, before i drink and its like once a week, and not alot, i take milk thistle and i have to say it works, it might be placebo but to each his own. also, if u wanna reduce your chances of a hangover, drink a protein shake before sleeping. a mix of whey and casein i found to be really good and surprisinly muscle milk is i found to be the best of it. it might not fully prevent a hangover, but it does certainly help. remember, the more drinks you have, the more your protein synthesis slows down, which is why u get drunk. so to compensate, you can flood your body with protein to get back to an even level.

j4ever

Awards
actually..techhnically what happens is that both of these compounds lower testosterone, it isnt that estrogen is increased. estrogen levels stay constant, but what actually happens is the testosterone gets so low that it never gets back up to the level it was originally at. both thc and alcohol contain phyto-estrogens which are estrogen similar strands, the thc releases it when burned and the alcohol releases it during the fermentation process. the more you know...

are you saying that each time someone consumes alcohol their test levels are lower then the time before and never return.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
it happens after a certain amount of drinks. the number is different for everybody. the test will eventually go back to your normal level but it will stay down for an undisclosed amount of time.

j4ever

Awards
yes i agree with that i just thought you were stating that each time someone drinks that the their test levels become lower and lower with each time. Would you happen to know the amount of time that one's protein synthesis is decreased after consuming alcohol? If i am correct the % decrease in synthesis is approx: 20% but i do not know how long this last for.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
yes i agree with that i just thought you were stating that each time someone drinks that the their test levels become lower and lower with each time. Would you happen to know the amount of time that one's protein synthesis is decreased after consuming alcohol? If i am correct the % decrease in synthesis is approx: 20% but i do not know how long this last for.
ive heard that it is between 4-6 hours.

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
but then why does thc increase sex drive and alcohol decreases it?
Both increase estrogen through different pathways. Yeah there could be phytoestrogens in mary jane,but i dont think thats the reason it make estrogen high. i think it has to to with the hpta axis.

j4ever

Awards
unless i drink heavy and i mean a lot my sex drive increases.

jman3967

Awards
from the Social Insurance Institution of Finland and by the Yrjö Jahnsson Foundation

"...In conclusion, alcohol interferes with the metabolism of carbohydrates during and after anaerobic exercise by decreasing the availability of circulating glucose. Furthermore, during recovery from exercise, alcohol decreases the supply of free fatty acids for the body."

so correct me if im wrong but, during and after drinking you should avoid carbs because your body will store them as fat?

im not trying to gain, more limit the loss thats why im starting the 5x5 so i have numbers and goals to hit and see how im progressing. really the only supps i will be taking are those to counteract the alcohol consumption. glutamine, posiedon, and possibly Stoked or ATD to keep test/estrogen equilibrium. look alright?

also does anyone know how to take care of the carb issue mentioned above? i have AP seems like it might do the trick.

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
your body will store carbs as fat at any time if you eat too much. get atd and stoked and low dose each. will last u a long time

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You can have fun without drinking, or at least with out drinking a lot.
Don't be stupid, Bob. There's a whole lot more to life than lifting weights. You're only in college for so many years, enjoy them to the fullest and that DOES mean getting completely trashed fairly often. Personally I think 6oxo or atd would be enough, and both at a very low dose. If the rest of your diet and training are in order some binge drinking wont kill you. Ever seen college football skill players? Yeah........

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believe there is a good thread on M&M about this but just off the top of my head:

Before: B Vitamins, NAC, Hawthorne
After: Phenibut, Hawthorne, B Vitamins

jman3967

Awards
I believe there is a good thread on M&M about this but just off the top of my head:

Before: B Vitamins, NAC, Hawthorne
After: Phenibut, Hawthorne, B Vitamins
do you know the dosing on the NAC? ...whats the deal with pheni though from what ive read its mostly a mood enancer? some guy said it let him cliff jump off a 50 ft rock wall haha

rugget makes a good point though..as dedicated as ive been to lifting its still important to have fun. once you get out of college its all down hill, just gotta balance the two.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
do you know the dosing on the NAC? ...whats the deal with pheni though from what ive read its mostly a mood enancer? some guy said it let him cliff jump off a 50 ft rock wall haha
NAC at about a gram a day is the typical suggestion. Even 500mg's day is effective though.

Some guys actually like to take phenibut prior to having a few drinks. So read up on it before using b/c it has different effects on everyone. My suggestion was to take it after an night of drinking to inhibit the feelings of anxiety common with post night out.

I've personally never used it (pheni) however I have a bottle of SNS's version on the way. Excited to try it out.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
NAC at about a gram a day is the typical suggestion. Even 500mg's day is effective though.

Some guys actually like to take phenibut prior to having a few drinks. So read up on it before using b/c it has different effects on everyone. My suggestion was to take it after an night of drinking to inhibit the feelings of anxiety common with post night out.
I've personally never used it (pheni) however I have a bottle of SNS's version on the way. Excited to try it out.
Good advice here noyd.

Also, NAC should be preloaded for a few days if you're anticipating a rather large drinking session. :D The body needs time to store up its glutathione levels to maximize detoxification effects.

Taking Vitamin C and ALA supplementation daily also increases the rate of synthesis/storage of glutathione.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Taking Vitamin C and ALA supplementation daily also increases the rate of synthesis/storage of glutathione.
Not to mention the vitamin C helps to reduce the risk of kidney stones from too much NAC.

I think I read 2:1 VitC:NAC

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not to mention the vitamin C helps to reduce the risk of kidney stones from too much NAC.

I think I read 2:1 VitC:NAC
I believe that Vitamin C at 500mg/day is more than effective enough to enhance synthesis effects.

Kidney stones can have so many different causes though. Calcium being one of the more common instigators. Some people are just prone to them regardless though. Keeping well hydrated is probably the most important and effective preventative measure regardless of the potential cause. I'm VERY glad i've never had one, nor do i EVER want one.

It's easy to spot the kidney stone shuffle though when they walk into triage. :D

AM07

Awards
  • Established
great advice...except id rather not waste a couple hours in the gym everyday for nothing. thanks though
You're 5'10", 170 pounds. I'm assuming you're not a competitive bodybuilder considering your stats are kind of close to mine, and you're considering pledging a frat.

Just live life man. Unless you're a competing bodybuilder, there's no reason at all to micromanage this trivial ****. Just drink, screw, and have a good time. These will be the best 3-7 years of your life.

jman3967

Awards
You're 5'10", 170 pounds. I'm assuming you're not a competitive bodybuilder considering your stats are kind of close to mine, and you're considering pledging a frat.

Just live life man. Unless you're a competing bodybuilder, there's no reason at all to micromanage this trivial ****. Just drink, screw, and have a good time. These will be the best 3-7 years of your life.
ya thats true ..thats what ive been starting to realiize. im just someone who likes to go all out on everything i do but cant do both here. im still trying to pick up a few things though so i can still slavage some progress.

i ordered some trans resveratrol and nac from np and already have some 6 oxo and take posiedon and glutamine anyway. im glad all this sh1t is cheap. i want kindey stones like i want herpes...so ill probably look into getting some vitamin c or drinking some more oj in the morning also

sound good?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That should be sufficient if you ask me. Your best line of defense is staying dehydrated as you know. Plus caffeine helps get through a hangover.

Jmonster

Jmonster

Awards
:drunk:<this will lead to this while doing squats at the gym the next day>:dump:

jman3967

Awards
:drunk:<this will lead to this while doing squats at the gym the next day>:dump:
lol ya thatll be a b1tch...i drink about 1.5 gallons/day so i usually stay pretty hydrated but hopefully i wont sh1t my pants at the gym hah

thanks for the imput hope ill still be able to make some progress!

AM07

Awards
  • Established
ya thats true ..thats what ive been starting to realiize. im just someone who likes to go all out on everything i do but cant do both here. im still trying to pick up a few things though so i can still slavage some progress.

i ordered some trans resveratrol and nac from np and already have some 6 oxo and take posiedon and glutamine anyway. im glad all this sh1t is cheap. i want kindey stones like i want herpes...so ill probably look into getting some vitamin c or drinking some more oj in the morning also

sound good?
Word man, I was the same way. Granted I just graduated pretty recently, but the Summer before my senior year, I was so hell-bent on cutting that I didn't really enjoy myself as much as I wished I would have in terms of drinking, going out, etc. Micromanaging every little thing I put into my mouth, and for what? A couple extra fat pounds that come off? What's the point if I never have plans of stepping onto a stage? So since then I'm not too serious about this stuff (just want to look good without clothes and have some strength and endurance, just like everyone else including 90% of this forum), but still keep my diet pretty clean, but stray from it a few times a week, but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
you are looking too much into this.. i go to arizona state and to say alot of ppl drink would be an understatment, especially in the greek system. Now our frats are notorius for also being heavy into steroids, after talking to alot of these ppl i have realized that most ppl are young and have a relatively fast metabolism still, also drinking alot of water to hydrate your muscles helps alot. I still wonder how much drinking actually hinders muscle growth at such a young age. I try to just drink days that i dont workout... i feel it helps me

jman3967

Awards
Word man, I was the same way. Granted I just graduated pretty recently, but the Summer before my senior year, I was so hell-bent on cutting that I didn't really enjoy myself as much as I wished I would have in terms of drinking, going out, etc. Micromanaging every little thing I put into my mouth, and for what? A couple extra fat pounds that come off? What's the point if I never have plans of stepping onto a stage? So since then I'm not too serious about this stuff (just want to look good without clothes and have some strength and endurance, just like everyone else including 90% of this forum), but still keep my diet pretty clean, but stray from it a few times a week, but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
thats exactly what ive realized. i definetly take lifting seriously and will continue to but i got a little too serious for a while for where my personal ambitions were at. ill be working the rest of my life now is the time to enjoy it. i never had a goal of being pro so im just gonna enjoy life, get ****ed up and continue waking up to babes not knowing or caring how i got there... amen

JKBB44

Awards
The best thing to take would be a multi vit and casein protein to keep yourself out of a catabolicstate.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
kind of off topic but how bad is it to potentially drink while on winny (injectable) i know several kids that do this.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
kind of off topic but how bad is it to potentially drink while on winny (injectable) i know several kids that do this.
It's probably the only thing dumber than kids taking winny.