Drugs and Herb Interaction Check

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
I found this link at massmonsterz.com, and thought I'd check it out for myself.

Obviously, I don't take these all at the same time or same day, but here is the items I had checked for interaction with each other, with food, and with alcohol.

Acetaminophen
Aspirin
Claritin
Diphenhydramine Oral
Echinacea
Glucosamine
Glucosamine Hydrochloride
Glucosamine Sulfate
L-Carnitine
Loperamide
Magnesium Oxide
Melatonin
Motrin IB
Naproxen
Pseudoephedrine
Vitamin B Complex
Vitamin C

Here were the 5 possible interactions it found:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
ASPIRIN may interact with IBUPROFEN (in Motrin IB)

Ibuprofen is broken down by the liver and removed from the body in the urine. If this happens too quickly, then potentially less ibuprofen would be available for the body to use and blood levels could become too low. This could make ibuprofen less effective. Aspirin may cause ibuprofen to be broken down at a faster rate than normal. Based on information from a number of studies, this does not appear to have a significant impact on the therapeutic effect of ibuprofen. However, both of these drugs can cause stomach irritation and may potentially damage the lining of the stomach. The risk of experiencing these side effects may be increased when aspirin and ibuprofen are taken at the same time. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered minor in severity.

ASPIRIN may interact with NAPROXEN

Naproxen is broken down by the liver and removed from the body in the urine. If this happens too quickly, then potentially less naproxen would be available for the body to use and blood levels could become too low. This could make naproxen less effective. Aspirin may cause naproxen to be broken down at a faster rate than normal. Based on information from a number of studies, this does not appear to have a significant impact on the therapeutic effect of naproxen. However, both of these drugs can cause stomach irritation and may potentially damage the lining of the stomach. The risk of experiencing these side effects may be increased when aspirin and naproxen are taken at the same time. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

NIACIN (in Vitamin B Complex) may interact with ASPIRIN

Although the cause of this potential interaction is not clearly understood, aspirin may cause blood levels of niacin (also referred to as "nicotinic acid") to be increased. Based on information from one study involving a small number of healthy people who used aspirin while taking niacin, this interaction does not cause any harmful effects. At this time, a change in therapy does not appear to be necessary. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

ALCOHOL may interact with ACETAMINOPHEN

Both alcohol (ethanol) and acetaminophen can cause damage to the liver. The risk of experiencing liver damage may be increased when alcohol and acetaminophen are used together. This potential interaction is more likely to occur when alcohol is combined with high doses of acetaminophen, or when alcohol and acetaminophen are both used daily over a long period of time. People who consume three or more alcoholic drinks per day should avoid using high doses of acetaminophen or avoid using acetaminophen on a regular basis. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered moderate in severity.

ALCOHOL may interact with ASPIRIN

Both aspirin and alcohol (ethanol) can cause stomach irritation and may potentially damage the lining of the stomach. In some cases, this damage may be so severe that it causes a bleeding ulcer. When aspirin and alcohol are used at the same time, the risk of developing a bleeding ulcer may be increased for up to 36 hours after the dose of aspirin is taken. To minimize this risk, avoid using aspirin for 12 hours after alcohol has been consumed. If it is not possible to allow this much time to pass, consider using either enteric-coated aspirin, extended-release aspirin, or a buffered, effervescent aspirin product. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

~Todd

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Wow, that kicks ass Tator, thanks for the link

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
As a side comment, it is best to avoid aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen anyway since they are COX (cyclooxygenase) inhibitors. Long story short, they reduce protein synthesis.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
I didn't know that. Thanks.

For aches and pains, I like Naproxen better.

However, not taking Excedrin (Acetaminophen, Aspirin, and caffeine) at the onset of a headache usually staves off nausea. Long story short, nausea leads to decreased protein synthesis because I either can't eat, throw up, or both. :D

~Todd

my2sense

Awards
does Diphenhydramine (oral antihistamine) have any detrimental effect on protein synthesis, t-levels, or anything of the sort?

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
does Diphenhydramine (oral antihistamine) have any detrimental effect on protein synthesis, t-levels, or anything of the sort?
Diphenhydramine is Benadryl, isn't it? I haven't heard anything along those lines, although someone else might have.