Beta Alanine and Taurine

sportsfan4110

sportsfan4110

Awards
Ive been reading some good news about both of these products and am considering taking them. Do any of you take these and have you seen any noticable results?

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, beta-alanine has been VERY up and coming in the supplement industry.

Here is a link to our FAQ (IntraXcell), you should be able to get quite a bit of quality information from it.

INTRAXCELL

If you have any other questions on BA, feel free to ask..

sportsfan4110

sportsfan4110

Awards
thanks, that preety much answered my question about BA but what about taurine? it is worth taking or should i just leave it out and save some money?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You cannot take BA with taurine. They compete with eachother. Dose them atleast a few hours apart.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thanks, that preety much answered my question about BA but what about taurine? it is worth taking or should i just leave it out and save some money?
Taurine can help with blood flow, but I never really take additional amounts of it.

It can help with a pump in the gym, but most pre-workouts already contain it. I'd save my money.

You cannot take BA with taurine. They compete with eachother. Dose them atleast a few hours apart.
Incorrect.

"Is taking taurine at the same time as beta-alanine going to stop beta-alanine from boosting carnosine and performance levels?

While there is certainly potential for problems when taking these two together (they share the same transporter into tissues), it hasn't yet been supported in the research to any level of significance. In fact, a recent study by Dr. Harris, showed that the increase in muscle carnosine with beta-alanine was not reduced when taurine was taken along with it.

We could get into the biochemistry of why taking taurine with beta-alanine may not seem like a good idea but we have a more simple and conclusive explanation just in case you wanted more proof to support Dr. Harris?s study. Since there is a group of studies that used either beta-alanine by itself or beta-alanine with taurine, we examined them to determine if there were any differences in the resulting carnosine concentrations. While more research is always needed, there are quite a few beta-alanine vs. beta-alanine plus taurine studies, and their outcomes are all the same. There is little to no difference in carnosine concentrations. In other words, taurine does not appear to inhibit beta-alanine from being absorbed to any level of significance, otherwise carnosine levels would have been lower in the beta-alanine plus taurine studies.

What about supposed taurine loss when taking beta-alanine?

This concern by some is based on some rat/cat studies that showed beta-alanine decreased the taurine content in the myocardium by half. These studies were using doses that are over 100 times higher than the highest Beta-alanine studies of 6.4 grams a day. These rat studies aren't even relevant to how we use beta-alanine in terms of dosage.

Beta-alanine does cause taurine levels to increase in the blood plasma, leading some to believe that we are actually losing alot of it from the body through excreting it in the urine. But from multiple studies now, the researchers have shown the taurine loss in the urine, is NOT at any level of significance."

From our FAQ on bb.com

Hope this helps :)

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Taurine can help with blood flow, but I never really take additional amounts of it.

It can help with a pump in the gym, but most pre-workouts already contain it. I'd save my money.

Incorrect.

"Is taking taurine at the same time as beta-alanine going to stop beta-alanine from boosting carnosine and performance levels?

While there is certainly potential for problems when taking these two together (they share the same transporter into tissues), it hasn't yet been supported in the research to any level of significance. In fact, a recent study by Dr. Harris, showed that the increase in muscle carnosine with beta-alanine was not reduced when taurine was taken along with it.

We could get into the biochemistry of why taking taurine with beta-alanine may not seem like a good idea but we have a more simple and conclusive explanation just in case you wanted more proof to support Dr. Harris?s study. Since there is a group of studies that used either beta-alanine by itself or beta-alanine with taurine, we examined them to determine if there were any differences in the resulting carnosine concentrations. While more research is always needed, there are quite a few beta-alanine vs. beta-alanine plus taurine studies, and their outcomes are all the same. There is little to no difference in carnosine concentrations. In other words, taurine does not appear to inhibit beta-alanine from being absorbed to any level of significance, otherwise carnosine levels would have been lower in the beta-alanine plus taurine studies.

What about supposed taurine loss when taking beta-alanine?

This concern by some is based on some rat/cat studies that showed beta-alanine decreased the taurine content in the myocardium by half. These studies were using doses that are over 100 times higher than the highest Beta-alanine studies of 6.4 grams a day. These rat studies aren't even relevant to how we use beta-alanine in terms of dosage.

Beta-alanine does cause taurine levels to increase in the blood plasma, leading some to believe that we are actually losing alot of it from the body through excreting it in the urine. But from multiple studies now, the researchers have shown the taurine loss in the urine, is NOT at any level of significance."

From our FAQ on bb.com

Hope this helps :)
That would be enough to have me taking them at least a few hours apart. Do you have a link to said Dr. Harris's study. I have seen studies saying they do compete, and have never heard anything against it until your post.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That would be enough to have me taking them at least a few hours apart. Do you have a link to said Dr. Harris's study. I have seen studies saying they do compete, and have never heard anything against it until your post.
I can try to get a hold of it for you from Seb.

In the mean time, links to studies saying they compete?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My understanding is that BA and taurine are antagonistic because they use the same receptors. As such, the higher the dosage of one, the more potentially deficient the other. Most of the studies are in animals, but taurine deficiency can produce some scary changes in otherwise healthy brains. That said, even without taurine supplementation, it is hard to imagine that a person following a diet with complete protein sources and frequent meals would actually develop problems with taurine without massive BA use.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nevermind i found the Dr. Harris study. This should still be advised that no one should be taking as excessive dose of either taurine or beta alanine.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The study i read was done on cats...which probably isnt very reputable. I will try to find it, anyways. But it seems Dr. Harris is of the most recent and the most specific.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
i take them together, i like the endurance the BA gives me in comparison to non-BA workouts.
i hadnt been doing much heavy dead lift because of shoulder problems, but starting this summer i have been tryin to build up my back and when i do straight leg deads for the erector spinae my back would pump up and people on here recommended taurine.. i havent noticed anything different from taking taurine solo and running it with BA... just some anecdotal evidence i guess

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can tell you that yes you can take them at the same time, as I have done so.

Check my sig for a link to our product line and check out Swell, which does have both ingredients

Both have tremendous benefits, and as was said before, BA is really an up and comer.