Advice for a girl powerlifter

Luminous

Luminous

Awards
My friend is a powerlifter. She has been having a problem in that her competition dates have been falling right at the time her period is in full swing. This makes it difficult for her to perform at her best. Has anyone had any results with a supplement that might minimize the effects of her period or delay them long enough to get her through the competition?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow today is a day for Bizzare questions, maybe try mixing eggs with pespi lol

Luminous

Luminous

Awards
Wow today is a day for Bizzare questions, maybe try mixing eggs with pespi lol
It's not such a bizarre question. I'm sure someone has asked on this forum what supplements work best if you are kicked in the balls in a bar fight and have to compete the next day.

I'll mention that thing about the eggs and pepsi though. Is that with or without the creatine?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not such a bizarre question. I'm sure someone has asked on this forum what supplements work best if you are kicked in the balls in a bar fight and have to compete the next day.

I'll mention that thing about the eggs and pepsi though. Is that with or without the creatine?
:toofunny: Yah try it without add it in if that doesn't work...

There are probably ways of controlling this kind of thing to some extent but I think you would have to start messing with here hormones which is probably not wise.

Luminous

Luminous

Awards
:toofunny: Yah try it without add it in if that doesn't work...

There are probably ways of controlling this kind of thing to some extent but I think you would have to start messing with here hormones which is probably not wise.
On second thought, the creatine and the pepsi might be a little too foamy.

That would probably be my guess too. Initially I'd thought about something like Ready For War but the pregnenalone bothers me. I was thinking more along the lines of something palliative - like helping to perfuse her muscles, regulating her blood pressure. Where are the supplement companies with specialties in women lifters when you need 'em?

Motox

Awards
  • Established
I didnt just make that **** up some birth control pills can reduce a womans period to a day and the girl will hardly notice she is on her period.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True. There are different types of "the pill" that can reduce the term of a woman's menstruation. Have her check with her OB/GYN and see what she can do.

Otherwise, the only thing that I can think of that would be relatively safe would be to make her hang out with other girls who have cycles that do NOT coincide with either her's or her events. It's amazing how little time it actually takes for a group of gals to "sync up". CRAZY phenominon!!!

Luminous

Luminous

Awards
I know what you are saying. Most birth control pills will regulate a period pretty well. The more potent varieties will also shorten periods but they aren't always a good solution - particularly for ladies who are in their early forties which is the case here. I was just thinking of finding a way to make the lessen the negative effects of her period as related to her ability to lift heavy.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pregnancy has also been known to regulate menstruation. :D

Most women menstruate at very regular intervals. Journal them, then, as was mentioned, find a meet that does not coincide with her period.

You could even make it more challenging or interesting by then calculating her ovulation period (10-14 days prior to menstuation) and a correaltion between performance and ovulation. Sex hormones rise during ovulation ;)

Luminous

Luminous

Awards
Pregnancy has also been known to regulate menstruation. :D

Most women menstruate at very regular intervals. Journal them, then, as was mentioned, find a meet that does not coincide with her period.

You could even make it more challenging or interesting by then calculating her ovulation period (10-14 days prior to menstuation) and a correaltion between performance and ovulation. Sex hormones rise during ovulation ;)
I don't think pregnancy is on the table. We are both a little old to be starting another family.

The problem is that there are not all that many powerlifting/strongman competitions that are open to women in Canada. She has a very limited field of opportunities. The next three all occur while she's having her period.

You think it's interesting to calculate ovulation because of the increased sexual effects, you should hang out with a woman who has some extra testosterone coursing around when she's ovulating as many lifters do. It can be a very rewarding experience.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Seriously, you might try the hanging out with women on a different cycle than hers. I train with a bunch of girls and somehow we ALL have ours at the same time. I'm not sure how or why it happens but it is true.

Otherwise hormone manipulation is the only way.

Luminous

Luminous

Awards
Seriously, you might try the hanging out with women on a different cycle than hers. I train with a bunch of girls and somehow we ALL have ours at the same time. I'm not sure how or why it happens but it is true.

Hey thanks. I was kinda hoping to get a female opinion. I fear the synchronization effect has already taken affect. She and her two daughters are in lock step hormonally. Short of my suddenly acquiring a harem, I think that solution is out. Hey, wait a minute...

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

See??? Told ya!!! It's crazy!! No offense, ladies, but if "you all" were to have PMS and flip out on "us", it's just that much worse when everyone is in unison.

And B-, good suggestion about the pregnancy. Worked well at my house! :D Oh, wait.... :trout:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think pregnancy is on the table. We are both a little old to be starting another family.

The problem is that there are not all that many powerlifting/strongman competitions that are open to women in Canada. She has a very limited field of opportunities. The next three all occur while she's having her period.

You think it's interesting to calculate ovulation because of the increased sexual effects, you should hang out with a woman who has some extra testosterone coursing around when she's ovulating as many lifters do. It can be a very rewarding experience.
I was joking about the pregnancy but serious about the ovulation. If extra test is anything like it is for a male for a female than it is sure to be fun.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

She's not joking. I've watched it happen.

I share custody of my teen daughter. She would live away for two years and back with me for two years. When she returned they were not the same. Within a short time they were both on the same schedule. I know of other girls who are close that are the same way.