Is this really effective?

makko

Awards
I just have to ask you guys. a friend of mine from the gym (he is bulky) said that fresh eggs mixed with carbonated drinks (coke, pepsi etc.) is a good replacement for supplements especially when you are low on $$$ is this really true? I'm not willing to do it because i have a supplement already and he also said that it might also bring out allergic reactions.. I'm just curious...

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is nothing in coke and pepsi that will really add to mass other than sugar (empty cals). There are much better options. Whole eggs are good though.

makko

Awards
To be precise the drink was Sarsi (a cola from the Phil.) this is its ingredients: Soda Water, Cane, Sugar, Caramel Color,Citric Acid. My friends always drinks this before working out 2 fresh eggs mixed with 12 oz. of this cola he has a bulky body but recently he had to stop it due to rashes popping out they said its because of over drinking of that "supplement".

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To be precise the drink was Sarsi (a cola from the Phil.) this is its ingredients: Soda Water, Cane, Sugar, Caramel Color,Citric Acid. My friends always drinks this before working out 2 fresh eggs mixed with 12 oz. of this cola he has a bulky body but recently he had to stop it due to rashes popping out they said its because of over drinking of that "supplement".
Bizzare :think:

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established
I just have to ask you guys. a friend of mine from the gym (he is bulky) said that fresh eggs mixed with carbonated drinks (coke, pepsi etc.) is a good replacement for supplements especially when you are low on $$$ is this really true? I'm not willing to do it because i have a supplement already and he also said that it might also bring out allergic reactions.. I'm just curious...
Thats sounds disgusting. Why is he drinking it if it brings out allergic reactions?

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
In fact that sounds rediculous. Why would soda and eggs be a great pre-workout supp? Sugar and slow digesting protein...it doesn't make any sense. Sounds like some mystical concoction he thought up. Stick with what works.

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established
Ive heard people throw around the coke or pepsi post workout idea as individuals believe the sugar in it will replenish glycogen, spike insulin, force your post workout supplements(i.e. creatine/whey/eaa's/bcaa's) into the muscle..i read somewhere Cutler does this...however im not sure i believe it, hard to imagine reining Mr.O consumes regular soda,even during the off season

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
whole eggs
oats
natty peanut butter
blue berries
some water to taste

none of this soda shite

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just seems like it's shooting yourself in the foot more than anything else. Sucrose is less than an optimum carb choice during workouts (or anytime) because it is 50% glucose, 50%fructose, so only half of the sugar is going to reach your muscles under normal circumstances - the carbonation is going to be a drain on minerals like calcium and potassium, so you'll lose electrolytes. Eggs are slow-digesting all the way around - great protein, fat, cholesterol, but those large molecules take a long time to digest and slow the digestion of other things around it.

Stick to a glucose-based carb and quick digesting protein

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just seems like it's shooting yourself in the foot more than anything else. Sucrose is less than an optimum carb choice during workouts (or anytime) because it is 50% glucose, 50%fructose, so only half of the sugar is going to reach your muscles under normal circumstances - the carbonation is going to be a drain on minerals like calcium and potassium, so you'll lose electrolytes. Eggs are slow-digesting all the way around - great protein, fat, cholesterol, but those large molecules take a long time to digest and slow the digestion of other things around it.

Stick to a glucose-based carb and quick digesting protein
^^^He nailed it. Only a small amount of your carbs should come in the form of sucrose/fructose. Your friend is likely "bulky" from other aspects of his diet/training...

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
interesting......

Q | Are carbonated beverages good for bodybuilders?

A | Carbonated beverages are often viewed as digestive aids because the gas from the carbonation causes distension of the stomach and intestines. This distension is sensed by the gastrointestinal (GI) system and causes an increase in motility--meaning the food that's in the stomach passes through the GI tract at a faster rate. This may be good for decreasing indigestion but bad for enhancing digestion and absorption of nutrients--particularly amino acids from protein.

Carbonation may interfere with absorption because the higher acidity of such beverages inhibits normal secretion of stomach enzymes, such as proteases, which break down protein into amino acids. Carbonated beverages also may somehow force much of the food consumed to sit in the higher part of the stomach, where the enzymes are not found, preventing the normal breakdown of protein.

If food moves more rapidly through the stomach, there is less time for enzymes to do their work. Also, if fewer enzymes are doing their work, some of the protein you've eaten may not get properly digested.

Another problem with drinking a carbonated beverage during a meal is that you may feel less satiated afterward. This was discovered in a study of patients with indigestion and constipation. Carbonated water taken with meals reduced the study subjects' indigestion and constipation, but they were less satiated than when they drank plain water with food.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Your buddy is a FREAK! WTF, man? Soda and eggs? Yuck!

makko

Awards
This proves that it is bullsh*t to mix soda and eggs!I not going to risk myself of having rashes popping out of my body! and to think that he almost convinced me of trying that stuff... what some people would do when short of $$$..:(