Na-R-ALA timing question

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Hope I'm not being "that guy."

Anyway, what's the accepted pre-meal timing for this?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
"What's this? You're wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy."

I'll venture a guess of 15-30 minutes, if for nothing else to bump the thread.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
lol.. by that guy, I meant that guy that starts a new thread for everything instead of searching..

I just couldn't find a definite answer for this..

and bump :)

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, I just spent 20 minutes looking for you Ozarka but STILL didn't find anything. From what I read, I would take it just before eating like 5 mins or perhaps right at the start of the meal. Hopefully someone else can chime in, saw lots of familiar names in the posts.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I suppose your interest is pre-meal timing is to use Na-R-ALA to enhance insulin synthesis. Due to Na-R-ALA's superior stability, bioavailability, and longer-acting properties versus other forms of ALA, recommendations range from 15 minutes before a meal to right after the meal. Considering, that it has multiple benefits reclycling of vitamins C, E, glutathione, and coenzyme-Q10; as well as chelation of metals and general free-radical quenching, it may be useful to take it closer to meals (about 10 minutes before), so it can also support the detoxification of mutagenic agents found in food, in addition to its impact on insulin levels. For perspective, a recent study (Carlson DA, Smith AR, Fischer SJ, Young KL, Packer L. Altern Med Rev. 2007 Dec;12(4):343-51.) showed that Na-R-ALA reached peak plasma concentrations within 10-20 minutes of oral supplementation.

Fried Cheese

Fried Cheese

Awards
So if you are combining it with ALCAR...
Do the ALCAR 1.5 hours before the meal and then the lipoic acid right before the meal to peak both at the same time?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So if you are combining it with ALCAR...
Do the ALCAR 1.5 hours before the meal and then the lipoic acid right before the meal to peak both at the same time?
Even if you intend to take ALCAR and Na-RALA for mitochondrial-boosting/anti-aging purposes, you should take them together on an empty stomach (about two hours after the last meal and about 30 minutes before the next). Even in this case, Na-RALA should still affect insulin synthesis, because even though peak plasma levels are reached within 20 minutes of supplementation, cellular concentrations still remain stable for long enough afterwards to impact insulin's pathway.

Fried Cheese

Fried Cheese

Awards
Thanks, will do. Since I usually eat 1.5 hours before I go to the gym, I will do the lipoic/ALCAR .5 hours before that meal. Surely, I will still have decent levels when I hit the gym.

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
How important is it to include lipoic acid or ala with the ALCAR. I know Alcar causes an increase in free radicals but what kind of damage are we really talking about here? I'm 22. Does ALCAR even benifit someone my age? I started taking it then i read it is better for aging men who need to replenish depleted stocks of carnintine with age.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How important is it to include lipoic acid or ala with the ALCAR. I know Alcar causes an increase in free radicals but what kind of damage are we really talking about here? I'm 22. Does ALCAR even benifit someone my age? I started taking it then i read it is better for aging men who need to replenish depleted stocks of carnintine with age.
You can take ALA without ALCAR, but you should not take ALCAR without ALA (or a good blend of antioxidants), due to the ALCAR-induced heightened increase in free radical activity, as you suggested. ALCAR is not necessarily for aging individuals alone. Many of the conditions it addresses are also found in younger humans: management of certain neuropathic conditions, slowing of neurodegenerative conditions, optimization of mitochondrial and brain-nerve functions, management of depressive conditions and conditions relating to mental and physical stress, and so on.

Nick0r

Awards
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a question re: na-r-ala and alcar.

I eat warrior diet style, e.g. one large meal in the evening at around 6-7pm.

I know you are meant to take ALCAR/NARALA together twice daily (I take these along with green tea extract and biotin ) - usually in the morning, and then at around 2pm. I find I have great energy and mood all day long through to my big meal.

Should I be saving part of the NARALA for 15mins before my meal?

Thanks.

Nick0r

Awards
P.S. My doses are

Morning

1g ALCAR
400mg ALA (going to switch to NA-R-ALA once I've ordered some, any idea on dosage?)
500mg green tea extract (350mg ECGC)
1000mcg bition

2pmish
0.5g ALCAR
400mg ALA
250mg green tea (175mg ECGC)
1000mcg biotin

Thoughts?