Supp for Shinsplints

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the best thing to do for shinsplints would be. I get them regularly after a couple weeks of hard basketball or running and have to stop impact activities for a few weeks before i can resume them. I wonder if Cissuss might help with this?

Can anyone reccomend anything else or other ways to treat this outside of supplements? Perhaps this belongs in another forum for the second part of the question.

Thanks.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cissus worked for mine and the key to shinspint repair is stretching after your workout/training.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
maybe Cissus or glucosamine, i dont really know what shine splints are but think it has to do with the bone in your leg......:think: cissus and glucosamine work good for my knees and bones......

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
ohhh i know what your talking about now i got those in track in high school and the doctor said it was from running on hard surfaces like roads and pavement, when i was a senior they laid down a track with rubber tire pellets......to help that i guess

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
yes they are very painfull. in fact, when i push myself too hard i cant even walk afterwards it is so bad. Even ibuprofin and tylonal don't help much. What kind of tangible experiences have u guys had with cissus?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used it in conjuntion with prescribed Celebrex because of several inflammation related issues. I no longer worry about shinsplints

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
well i use bulk cissus from NP and it seems to help with my knees, after i do squats the next 4 days are very painful and the doctor said that it is because i have sensitive joints and track in high school didnt do me much liberty.....so when i take cissus every day it seems to help ALOT with the pain......i dont know how you will react so dont expect to have the same as me, but how about you other people?????jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used Super Cissus for the anti inflammatory effects but during the initial 3-4 weeks I still needed to rely on pain killers but over the course of a few weeks it gradually went away as my pain killer doses went down as well.

Craigmatthew

Craigmatthew

Awards
  • Established
Look to see also if you suffer from tight Calves, if you do stretching them can do wonders.

:)

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
NIKE SHOX BRAH....they are the best, i love em!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everyone I know swears by them but I haven't broke down and bought a pair yet. I plan to soon.

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
Interesting about the shoes. I wonder if an orthodic might help here. I cant wear nikes because my feet are wide and all their shoes are cruely narrow. I do better with new balance and the like. Shoes do seem to have a big impact though because when i get new shoes my shins DO feel better at the beginning sometimes.

dexterium

dexterium

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
SuperCissus RX is great for shin splints. I run a lot on pavement and I never have problems. I also do stretching and wear good shoes with good cushioning.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's a place near me that has you run on a treadmill and they find out how you run and where you place your weight during your stride etc. They they fit you for proper shoes with corrected padding. Usually about 100-150 bucks but they are worth it but usually aren't flashy in style.

Check your area maybe you having something similar?

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
if you go to the nike shox web site you can customize them, color, width, length, and design! thats what i did ill be right back to get the site.....

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
EEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!! my power went out just as i was getting on AAminds! there is a big storm in Upstate NY right now so if it happens again i will kill mother nature:numbered:..:fool2:jk but seriously i will be pissed,
Well i guess i lied, Nike. com doesn't let you select width, but you can customize every thing else....:rasp: they do have wides though....

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
Hah thanks for the effort. I would NEVER buy a shoe offline though. I cant even usually buy them in a place like footlocker where someone brings you out the shoes because im so picky about what feels okay on my feet. I end up buying my shoes at those large shoe warehouse places that get overfill from the major chains or whatever because they allow you to just browse around and try on all the shoes yourself. I probably try about 15 pairs every time i buy one!

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SuperCissus Rx works great for my shin splints. I have dosed at 6 pills ED, 2x3.

I do a lot of weighted sled sprints on pavement in combination with other unconventional GPP work.

I wrestled for a good portion of my childhood therefore this is a chronic problem.

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
Do most nutrional stores carry cissus or do you pretty much HAVE to order it online. I ask because i put in an order today for some other supps and forgot the cissus and i dont feel like paying shipping again so at this point it would be more convenient to pick it up at a local supp shop. Anyone ever see super cissus at the local store?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
It may be worth it to re-order... Osteobolin-C has great to me. I've ran into a few discomforts from running in the past, but Osteobolin-C keeps my joints and ligaments feeling great.

From what I gathered - Cissus has two main properties: that of being a natural anabolic and that of being protective/recooperative of joints and ligaments. If the extract is in the higher percentages, say 25%, it leans towards the anabolic properties, and does not bring as much benefit to the tendons and ligaments. Vice versa, low percentages bring the most support to those joints. I chose Osteobolin-C for it's 5% extract, and I have yet to find anything that works better for keeping my joints feeling great. I have not tried SuperCissus as of yet, and I'm reading the solid reviews. Looks like both products are a great fit, and if you truely don't want to go online, I bet you could find USP products in local retailers.

Not sure if you are already dosing Fish Oil, but you may want to get on that as well. A natural anti-inflammatory alongside brining numerous other health benefits. Cissus + Fish oils (6-10 ED) is my personal route to joint and ligament care.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
i tried to find it in vitamin world and GNC but both just carry glucosamine ....i would check just to be sure it could save some money.....and good idea on buying shoes from warehouses, much cheaper, i myself have never bought a shoe off line due to size problems, every shoe company and style runs big or small from actuall size. you know

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do most nutrional stores carry cissus or do you pretty much HAVE to order it online. I ask because i put in an order today for some other supps and forgot the cissus and i dont feel like paying shipping again so at this point it would be more convenient to pick it up at a local supp shop. Anyone ever see super cissus at the local store?
Call their CS and se about adding the cissus. I'm sure you still have time.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
First, you should get arch supports for your shoes. Either make your own or buy some. You might not have the support you need.

If you have to play while you have the shin splints still, ask a trainer to tape your feet and your ankles up to mid shin. They should go around the arch and up around the ankle to help provide the support your muscles will lack while you're recuperating.

Other than that, just RICE it. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

IMO, cissus will do little if anything to help fix the problem. It may only provide analgesic effects to cover it up. If you're going to use an analgesic, try Aleve (instead of tylenol, cissus, etc) or if you can get some from a doc, Celebrex.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
NutraPlanet will be the most cost effective but Vitamin Shoppe carries SuperCissus Rx. :thumbsup:

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I have shinsplints and a monkeybubble on my shin from football. I took my pads off today and knocked my helmet into my shin's sweetspot and I was on the ground for 5 minutes pulling the Peter Griffin "Aaaaaschhhhh....oaaaaaahsch.....aaaaaschh."