Is Whey Isolate worth it?

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
I have always used a whey blend (ON whey or cytosport complete whey) and have liked it and the price is right. I was thinking about trying a whey isolate for the first time, to use post workout (2 scoop), but I was wondering if its even worth it? Will I notice any increased gains if I take it for a while? I live in canada and up here I can get 5lbs of whey blend for 40-50 dollars depending on whats on sale. Whey isolate on the otherhand is around 70-80 bucks!

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
i would go with the blend because you get the different proteins that digest at different speeds...

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I would say no at that price difference. A lot of things can factor into digestion & absortion rates aside from the type of protein source anyway, my personal opinion on the different whey types is that it's basically just splitting hairs so to speak, and isn't worth a huge jump in price.

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
ive been looking around for a good brand of very low calorie/high protein per serving powder. What do u guys use for protein powder when its not for added calories just for added protein?

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
^ not trying to hijack this thread, ill start a new one if the above comment isnt deemed relevent enough

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
go to "bodybuilding .com" and select "store" then select "protein finder" on the left side, then you can customize what you want to find, you can pick the price, grams of protein, carb, and fat, when you find one you like buy it off NP.com if they have it because its much cheaper and they take better care of products i think......that should solve it SilkPhantom!

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Instead of a pure isolate you'd be better off with a milk protein isolate or complete milk dairy protein as they are a combo of whey and casein which seems optimal for pwo nutrition.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I pretty much use anything that has low/zero carbs in it that tastes good and is cheap. If I have extra money true protein is great, but most of the time I'm just not willing to spend the extra doe.

Recently just purchased the Dymatize Elite (25lbs).

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
Thanks just93 for pointing me to that protein finder

footster

footster

Awards
Thanks just93 for pointing me to that protein finder
Dont know if you found a protein you already liked. But ON Whey Protein is extremly low in cal. and really high in protein,24g, for one scoop.IMO

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
AlltheWhey.com is where it's fricking at. Best prices on whey.. period.. and best tasting hands down!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Yes, isolate is worth it; doesn't mean you wouldn't do just as well (for general purposes) w/ an isolate/concentrate blend...like ON 100% Gold Standard. If that's what you've been taking, keep taking it, and feel smart!

SilkPhantom - I NEVER take protein for the calories only. Typically I use ON Gold Standard: 24g protein in 30g powder, 2g carb in the same 30g scoop; I/C blend, isolate comprising more than 50%. Consistent, available, tastes good, mixes well. I'm sure All The Whey (board sponsor) also has a fine product - I'm *always* looking for a better protein for the price - and, given what you asked for, ON or the equivalent will set you up.

jix77

Awards
AlltheWhey.com is where it's fricking at. Best prices on whey.. period.. and best tasting hands down!
I'll second the allthewhey.com... With the free shipping, you can get a tub of Whey Isolate for as cheap or cheaper than ON 100% Gold blend. Taste is good too.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I used to study the protein varieties intentley, and swore that the isolate was the very best for "purity" (except perhaps compared to the hydrolized), and as such, I bought a lot of isolate. Still feel strongly that it's the best stuff around.

HOWEVER.... I don't buy it anymore myself, and simply use a good isolate/concentrate mix. Why? Because a couple (literally) extra carbs per scoop and a few less grams of protein per scoop is simply not worth spending a LOT of extra dough. If I need more grams of protein, I'll add another half a scoop, etc.

For someone on a pre-contest diet, where they are literally counting every carb, isolate is the way to go. For most of us, however, I think even low-cost whey concentrate is ok, as long as you're getting enough grams of protein!

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
I have always used a whey blend (ON whey or cytosport complete whey) and have liked it and the price is right. I was thinking about trying a whey isolate for the first time, to use post workout (2 scoop), but I was wondering if its even worth it? Will I notice any increased gains if I take it for a while? I live in canada and up here I can get 5lbs of whey blend for 40-50 dollars depending on whats on sale. Whey isolate on the otherhand is around 70-80 bucks!
Real question to me is why do you wanna switch from WPC to WPI? What benefits do you believe you'll get and are those benefits worth the price? In general, I think WPC is perfectly fine for the vast majority of lifters supplementing with protein powder. What's the reason, T? Specific diet? Heard something good? Ultimately whether or not it's "worth" it depends on what you want and what the WPI will deliver relative to it.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
ive been looking around for a good brand of very low calorie/high protein per serving powder. What do u guys use for protein powder when its not for added calories just for added protein?
Well, you're gonna get 4 cals per gram on the protein, so that's that... If fat is the biggest issue, just look for a protein powder that's low in fat and also low in carbs. Also consider amino tabs/caspules as another way to get extra protein in the diet, on top of whole foods and protein powders.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to study the protein varieties intentley, and swore that the isolate was the very best for "purity" (except perhaps compared to the hydrolized), and as such, I bought a lot of isolate. Still feel strongly that it's the best stuff around.

HOWEVER.... I don't buy it anymore myself, and simply use a good isolate/concentrate mix. Why? Because a couple (literally) extra carbs per scoop and a few less grams of protein per scoop is simply not worth spending a LOT of extra dough. If I need more grams of protein, I'll add another half a scoop, etc.

For someone on a pre-contest diet, where they are literally counting every carb, isolate is the way to go. For most of us, however, I think even low-cost whey concentrate is ok, as long as you're getting enough grams of protein!

Exactly, if your not going to compete then price is more of an issue than purity. Concentrate is fine, or a blend. Even for those training for contest then only time an isolate may be more usefull is when fast absorbtion is key like after you work out, even so whey in general digests very quickly.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Exactly, if your not going to compete then price is more of an issue than purity. Concentrate is fine, or a blend. Even for those training for contest then only time an isolate may be more usefull is when fast absorbtion is key like after you work out, even so whey in general digests very quickly.
Concentrates even have benefits over isolates--in what has been left in. So purity can come at a price.

GQNemesis

GQNemesis

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

isolate is pretty good .. but for post workout, i would stick with what you have right now ... isolate, usually gets to the muscle tissue slow and takes a while to react in your body .. After working out you want something that gets into your bloodstream fast, so you recover fast .. isolate is great to take before bedtime:head:

joeyamma

joeyamma

Awards
  • Established
i'll just add to what the other guys said... also, you have to look at what you're using it for...
post-workout: perhaps WPI because it absorbs quicker
bedtime: perhaps casien for slower digestion
cutting: maybe WPI for less/no carbs

i started using WPI (Universal Ultra Iso Whey) when i starting cutting a few months ago.
i got it because it has no carbs, but i am very happy with how easily it mixes and how cleanly it goes down.
plus, it seem to be super-easy on my stomach and it tastes decent too.
another thing i like about WPI is that in a 25g scoop, you're getting 21g of protein with no carbs.

i still like to use other protein powders as well though, it just depends on what i'm using it for.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
i'll just add to what the other guys said... also, you have to look at what you're using it for...
post-workout: perhaps WPI because it absorbs quicker
bedtime: perhaps casien for slower digestion
cutting: maybe WPI for less/no carbs

i started using WPI (Universal Ultra Iso Whey) when i starting cutting a few months ago.
i got it because it has no carbs, but i am very happy with how easily it mixes and how cleanly it goes down.
plus, it seem to be super-easy on my stomach and it tastes decent too.
another thing i like about WPI is that in a 25g scoop, you're getting 21g of protein with no carbs.

i still like to use other protein powders as well though, it just depends on what i'm using it for.
Yeah, WPI should absorb a little more quickly in theory. That said, free form aminos are even faster, and WPH even faster than that...

Bedtime, be sure to look for micellar casein specifically. This is the protein that Boirie looked at and not general caseinates. Or what I sometimes do... Good old cottage cheese.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
this article sums it up nicely....

Whey Protein Isolate or Whey Protein Concentrate; which is better?

Before I explain the difference between the two types of whey, you first need to understand something very important: Much of the information being provided about protein comes from companies that sell supplements. The next time you read an article about protein supplements, keep in mind who is writing the article. Don’t be surprised if you get a sales pitch at the end of the article with an 800-number for easy ordering.

If a bodybuilder ever recommends a particular brand of protein, or makes outrageous claims like, "I gained 15 pounds of solid muscle just by switching to brand X protein", check to see if they have an endorsement contract. I have to laugh when I read that a bodybuilding champion claims to have built their physique by eating 50-80% of their calories in the form of protein powder, while they have a contract with the company that makes it. If anybody is really gung-ho about a particular type of protein, look for the bias – it’s almost always there.

That being said, it’s true that whey is definitely a great source of protein. Whey has a high biological value (BV). A high BV means that the amino acid ratio is excellent for building muscle and that a large proportion of the protein consumed is absorbed and utilized by the body. In addition, numerous studies from reputable researchers have shown that whey has immune-system enhancing benefits.

Whey is a dairy protein that is a by-product of the cheese making process. In its raw state, whey contains substantial amounts of fat and lactose (milk sugar). You wouldn’t want to eat raw whey. That’s why it is filtered and processed: to remove most of the lactose and fat. If you’ve ever heard of microfiltration or "ion exchange," those are simply methods of separating the fat and lactose from the protein. The end result is a more concentrated protein – either concentrate or isolate (which is what you want).

The primary difference between isolate and concentrate is that the isolate is more pure. In other words, isolate contains more protein with less fat and lactose per serving. Based on whose figures you go by, whey isolate usually contains between 90-94% protein while whey concentrate has a protein ratio of 70-85%.

If you are lactose intolerant and you have problems with gas and bloating, then the isolate might be a better choice. But being more "pure" doesn’t necessarily mean tht whey isolate is better or will produce greater muscle growth. Whey protein concentrate is still an excellent source of protein. Besides, isolate does have disadvantages: For one, it is more expensive than concentrate. Isolate has also had some of the valuable immune-boosting protein subfractions such as alpha lactoglobulins and lactoferrins removed in the filtering process.

In the long run, I don’t think it makes much difference whether you use concentrate or isolate. Nutrition companies will surely bicker back and forth forever over whose protein powder is the best, but choosing your protein isn’t something you should lose sleep over.

Protein nutrition is very simple: For practical muscle-building purposes, the important thing is to consume between 25-50 grams of protein (depending on your needs) every three hours. Whether it comes from whey isolate, whey concentrate, egg whites, chicken, fish, lean red meat or whatever – I just don’t think it matters that much.

I’ve used whey for years; I throw a couple scoops in my oatmeal in the morning sometimes instead of making egg whites. Sometimes I have a protein shake instead of a food meal. The main benefit of protein powders and meal replacements is convenience. Drinking your protein is definitely easier than preparing, cooking and eating it. Still, 80% of my protein comes from food sources such as egg whites, chicken, lean red meat (usually top round), and occasionally some tuna, salmon or other fish.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
this article sums it up nicely....
Solid post. WPI, because of it's purity, loses a little something important too. Glad ya mentioned that in the post.

Also, while WPI removes more lactose, remember, milk is allergenic. Beta-lac is a highly allergenic fraction in whey, so if a fella has problem with whey, it could be the beta-lac and not the lactose.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I use several types of protein during the day. But Whey is one of them.

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
Thanks for the replies guys, that article is good too. The only reason I was thinking about switching is because im gearing up for a 12 week bulk and I ordered a bunch of supplements from NP for it and spent alot of money. I wanna make sure I have every base covered to make sure this 12 weeks is the most productive, so I was wondering if I should switch over to a whey isolate. I think that Im just gonna stick with my cytosport complete whey, it good quality and its cheap lol

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies guys, that article is good too. The only reason I was thinking about switching is because im gearing up for a 12 week bulk and I ordered a bunch of supplements from NP for it and spent alot of money. I wanna make sure I have every base covered to make sure this 12 weeks is the most productive, so I was wondering if I should switch over to a whey isolate. I think that Im just gonna stick with my cytosport complete whey, it good quality and its cheap lol
Because you're on a bulk, I think you're gonna be fine. Don't overthink it and you'll be good. Good luck on the bulk brother.

eneyman

eneyman

Awards
I say no, it's not worth it either, it's overpriced and I have not noticed any better results, in fact I have noticed alot less from isolate then a good thick whey concentrate.

slowprogress

slowprogress

Awards
I don't think anyone's mentioned digestion issues either. If you can't handle WPC, than isolate might be better for you. Other than that, I would go with a blend, personally.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
I don't think anyone's mentioned digestion issues either. If you can't handle WPC, than isolate might be better for you. Other than that, I would go with a blend, personally.
If the issue is lactose.

I also like blends.

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
The only time I have ever had any digestive issues is when Ive drank more than 50g at once, which I havent done since I was a newb lol. The cytosport complete whey Im using now has whey concentrate and whey hydrolysate, it goes down easy and is light in my stomach, doesnt bloat me up at all.