Anabolic Pump AND Keto Diet - AnabolicMinds.com

Anabolic Pump AND Keto Diet

1. New Member

Anabolic Pump AND Keto Diet

I am currently on a keto diet, and looking to use it anabolic pump. I am very carb sensitive. Right now I have 100 or less carbs sun- Thurs, and Fri/Sat, and have around 200-300 carbs on my carb up days. I am looking to try out anabolic pump and have read on numerous posts its best to take with larger amounts of carbs. So, I am wondering whats the best way to incorporate this into my diet, or possible raising my daily carbs up to compensate for the use of AP.

I have read the AP manual, and it seems like I should possible take it 3 times a day, with 20-50 grams of carbs, one being pre w/o.

I w/o 5 days a week, as well as doing 45min cardio 3 days a week.

Can someone give me some sugessted protocol for my circumstances on a lower carb diet (the least carbs to effeciently use AP)?
    thanks!

2. Board Sponsor

Hey man,

You can either keep your keto diet going with carb up days and take Anabolic Pump before your high carb meals or you can use it each day, 3 times per day as you said.

Why don't you post up your diet that includes times you eat and times you train. I will give you some options!

Dex
  3. New Member

So basically, you can take AP before higher carb meals to help burn those carbs instead of storing them correct?

Here is a quick layout of my diet:

8:00 - 6 egg whites
    10:00 - protein shake (75grms) usually sipped on btwn 9-11
    12:00 - chicken breast with provolone cheese and/or broccoli
    3:00 - deli meat - chicken breast/turkey/ham (6 slices of each), with provolone cheese as a wrap, and some colby cheese squares
    5:00 - protein shake (75 grams) usually sipped on btwn 4:00-5:30
    6:30 - pre-w/o cocktail (BCAAs, creatine, NO, etc)
    7:00 - Workout and/or cardio
    8:00 - post w/o protein shake (75 grms) sipped on btwn 8:00-8:30 taken with oats, and a cup of oranges
    9:30 - chicken/steak/fish/shrimp, or a combo with some kind of veggies - peas, brocc, corn, green beans, or zuchinni
    10:30ish - 1 more scoop of whey before bed, and sometimes a few cheese squares, or plain yougurt blended in with whey.
    •   

4. Super Lab Rat

If you are only staying under a 100gms of carbs youll never reach ketosis. So keep using the AP.
  5. Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dank311 View Post
    So basically, you can take AP before higher carb meals to help burn those carbs instead of storing them correct?

3:00 - deli meat - chicken breast/turkey/ham (6 slices of each), with provolone cheese as a wrap, and some colby cheese squares
    8:00 - post w/o protein shake (75 grms) sipped on btwn 8:00-8:30 taken with oats, and a cup of oranges

Take Anabolic Pump at 7:45 PM.

9:30 - chicken/steak/fish/shrimp, or a combo with some kind of veggies - peas, brocc, corn, green beans, or zuchinni
    10:30ish - 1 more scoop of whey before bed, and sometimes a few cheese squares, or plain yougurt blended in with whey.
    My comments above in bold. I don't see any where else in this diet where you could really have Anabolic Pump other then post-workout (should be having about ~60 g of carbs here). I think your best bet would be to only use Anabolic Pump post-workout and on carb up days. Hope this helps!

And yes, you are kind of correct Anabolic Pump directs your carbohydrates to muscles and inhibits carbohydrate uptake in fat cells. So basically, you gain muscle and lose fat.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

While there are individual differences, most diets that involve Ketosis recommend 30 grams of carbohyrates or fewer. Futhermore, a ketosis is largely dependent upon liver glycogen levels. Consuming oranges after your workout seems counter productive, that is, if you desire ketosis. The high fructose content from fruit will certainly push you out of ketosis.

Questions:
    1. Is ketosis a goal of yours?
    2. Have you ever heard of the Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD)?

Comments:
    1. If you are planning on a standard Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD) I would revise the use of carbs throughout the day as some of them appear higher than one would consume on a starndard CKD (oats, oranges, corn and yogurt).
    2. If your desire is fatloss, the TKD would produce great results and allow you to consume periodic carbohydrates (simple sugars prior to workout). Incidentally, this would be the perfect place to add AP.

Just trying to help...
  7. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by spiderduncan View Post
    While there are individual differences, most diets that involve Ketosis recommend 30 grams of carbohyrates or fewer. Futhermore, a ketosis is largely dependent upon liver glycogen levels. Consuming oranges after your workout seems counter productive, that is, if you desire ketosis. The high fructose content from fruit will certainly push you out of ketosis.

Questions:
    1. Is ketosis a goal of yours?
    2. Have you ever heard of the Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD)?

Comments:
    1. If you are planning on a standard Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD) I would revise the use of carbs throughout the day as some of them appear higher than one would consume on a starndard CKD (oats, oranges, corn and yogurt).
    2. If your desire is fatloss, the TKD would produce great results and allow you to consume periodic carbohydrates (simple sugars prior to workout). Incidentally, this would be the perfect place to add AP.

Just trying to help...
    Well, to be honest, this is the first time I have ever tried the keto diet. I wasnt aware of the different variations of them. I basically learned it from a friend, but he said he has known friends and himself to still be in ketosis at 100-200grm of carbs a day..granted they are around 240lbs and Im about 160 right now. My main goal is to gain muscle and drop body fat.

I will check the TKD out. can you elaborate more about this, or shoot me a link on where to research more. I also thought simple sugars after a workout would not be soo bad due to the glycogen depletion, as well as the positive insulin boost. So far I have lost 21lbs and have also gained size, especially in my check, back, and legs.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.

Well, to be honest, this is the first time I have ever tried the keto diet. I wasnt aware of the different variations of them. I basically learned it from a friend, but he said he has known friends and himself to still be in ketosis at 100-200grm of carbs a day..granted they are around 240lbs and Im about 160 right now. My main goal is to gain muscle and drop body fat.

I will check the TKD out. can you elaborate more about this, or shoot me a link on where to research more. I also thought simple sugars after a workout would not be soo bad due to the glycogen depletion, as well as the positive insulin boost. So far I have lost 21lbs and have also gained size, especially in my check, back, and legs.
    I stay out ketosis eating around 25 grams of carbs a day and I am 270lbs. I have a hard time believing anyone can be in ketosis with 100 grams of carbs a day.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Ketosis is a very individual experience, so your friend may in fact experience it with a relatively high amount of carbohydrates. Physiology, diet and exercise all come into play regarding ketosis. With that said, your friend would be considered "gifted lowcarber" if in fact, he maintains ketosis with that amount of carbs.

Incidentally, how did your friend know he was in ketosis?

I will check the TKD out. Can you elaborate more about this, or shoot me a link on where to research more. I also thought simple sugars after a workout would not be soo bad due to the glycogen depletion, as well as the positive insulin boost. So far I have lost 21lbs and have also gained size, especially in my check, back, and legs.
    dank, no worries, ok?!

Also, congratulations on such great progress!!

I started out CKDs with the writings of Dr. Di Pasquale(aka Anabolic Diet) before stumbling on the updated and thorough/technical writings of Lyle McDonald (A Complete Guide for the Dieter and Practitioner by Lyle McDonald and Elzi Volk).

Unfortunately, I sold the book about 2 years ago. In short, it is a valid reference guide for Ketogenic Diets (cyclical or targeted - nutrition, supplements and workout guides for ultimate weight loss). From what I understand, he has an updated book called The Ultimate Diet 2.0.

The Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD) is an approach to ketogenic diets in which dieter ONLY consumes carbohydrates prior to each weight training session. This is a "full time" ketogenic diet, compared to the standard CKD as there is no weekend refeed. The pre-workout carbs are "targeted" at improving workout performance (i.e. muscle glycogen). In general, simple sugars (glucose, NOT fructose) are consumed 30 minutes prior to workout. In summary, the TKD preserves performance (LBM) via pre-workout carbs AND fat loss via extended time in ketosis.

Lyle McDonald's CKD: Part 1, 2, 3 and FAQ.
  10. New Member

Well, I found a thread on this forum with more info about CKD, TKD, and the anabolic diet. I might end up giving the anabolic diet a try. My main goal is to loose fat right now, as I will be starting a cycle of test E in about a month. Also, I dont think I absolutely need carbs around my workouts, b/c I have a huge supply of ECA that I use before workouts and it gives me enough energy to get through.
    Thanks for the links though. I will definately give each one a read tonight.

But as far as the anbolic pump goes, I guess I will be using it according to dexterium. I will take it 15min before my post workout shake, and consume around 30grms complex carbs(oats), and 30grams simple carbs(oranges). It seems as if anabolic pump is geared more towards those with higher carb diet(bulking diets)...but I am very sensitive to carbs, and honestly, once I get around 7-9% bf, I would like to maintain it year around. So, I dont think AP is going to be much use for me except for post w/o and my high carb days.
    Now my question is, on high carb days, when I take AP, will this interfer with my glycogen replenishment?

So, in a nut shell, I will be using AP like this:

LOW carb days (0-30 carbs from now on): 2 AP pills 15 min before post w/o shake with 30grms of carbs.

HIGH carb days: 2 AP pills 15 min before each high carb meal. maybe 3 times a day??? (need help on this one)

Also, on high carb day, how many carbs is too much for the sensitive individuals? Also, how clean do you eat on high carb days, does this mean pizza, cookies, cokes? not that I really enjoy eating those things b/c of how they make me feel, but Im just wondering how wild I can get, incase the moment arises, or if I want to go get some low fat yogurt.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Also, I dont think I absolutely need carbs around my workouts, b/c I have a huge supply of ECA that I use before workouts and it gives me enough energy to get through.
    Consider this...ECA, while a potent energy/thermogenic will NOT allow you to achieve more reps/sets if the energy substrate does not exist (muscle glycogen). It would be equivalent to a drag racer saying they have lots of Nitros Oxide, but limited gasoline.

But as far as the anbolic pump goes, I guess I will be using it according to dexterium. I will take it 15min before my post workout shake, and consume around 30grms complex carbs(oats), and 30grams simple carbs(oranges). It seems as if anabolic pump is geared more towards those with higher carb diet(bulking diets)...but I am very sensitive to carbs, and honestly, once I get around 7-9% bf, I would like to maintain it year around. So, I dont think AP is going to be much use for me except for post w/o and my high carb days.
    A fine approach indeed! AP would definetly help with glycogen replenishment. However, I would strongly encourage you to reconsider your choice of simpe carbs (oranges = fructose). On the ketosis highway, fructose is the equivalent to a big rig rollowever. Traffic is stopped in both directions. Once fructose hits the blood stream, it first replenishes the liver and therefore halts ketosis, straight away. Glucose would be the alternative. In fact, dextrose (same as glucose) is easy to use and economic. Supplement/vitamin, grocery and wine/brewing stores all stock it. Glucose would allow you to replenish muscle glycogen AND reestablish ketosis much faster than using fructose. Come to think of it...waxy maise starch might be something to consider...not sure though.

My response is listed in bold:
    Now my question is, on high carb days, when I take AP, will this interfer with my glycogen replenishment? No, not in the least.

So, in a nut shell, I will be using AP like this:

LOW carb days (0-30 carbs from now on): 2 AP pills 15 min before post w/o shake with 30grms of carbs. IMO 1 pill would do the job.

HIGH carb days: 2 AP pills 15 min before each high carb meal. maybe 3 times a day??? (need help on this one)Maybe...maybe not. It honestly depends upon how depleted you are, meal density (carbs), meal frequency and how long you refeed takes.

Also, on high carb day, how many carbs is too much for the sensitive individuals? In the links provided, I believe there was a suggestion for the weekend carbohydrate refeed (according to bodyweight).Also, how clean do you eat on high carb days, does this mean pizza, cookies, cokes? Honestly, this is the only diet that allows you (me, when I was on it) to consistenly get away with eating that stuff. Again, if you are truely glycogen depleted, your body will be sucking up any/all carbohydate sourcesnot that I really enjoy eating those things b/c of how they make me feel, but Im just wondering how wild I can get, incase the moment arises, or if I want to go get some low fat yogurt.Or course, you will get the best results strategically planning your meals (density, frequency and duration of refeed). The ideal scenario will actually use all types of carbs (simple to complex carbs).
  12. New Member

Man, great info man.

Ok, I do have some NP WMS which I can through in my post w/o shake instead of eating oranges.

Another quick questions...once I get down to my desired body fat, how to I maintain it whilst trying to gain muscle? Do I neccessarily have to be on a keto/ or similar diet year round? Not that it really matter b/c I will do what I gotta do to maintain my desired level of bf, but just wondering how to maintain this level and being safe about it...not sure if being on a constant keto diet is safe or unsafe, as Im still a bit new to this stuff...man I got alot of reading to do.
  13. New Member

also, on the high carb days, I think I will just do 2 pills of AP twice a day, 8 hours apart 15 mins before big carb meals.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Man, great info man.
    Ok, I do have some NP WMS which I can through in my post w/o shake instead of eating oranges.
    My pleasure! Substituting WMS for oranges is a solid and effective choice. This will enable your body to reestablish ketosis and therefore burn more body fat (again, I would encourage preworkout carbs rather than postwork out).

Actually, why do you consume postworkout carbs while on a keto diet?!

Another quick questions...once I get down to my desired body fat, how to I maintain it whilst trying to gain muscle?
    Pre or post invention of AP?

Pre: Carb reactive individuals would/shoudl transition to a diet reflecting controlled carb intack simillar Zone, Isocaloric or pay special attention to the Glycemic Index (includion of vegetables/fibrous food etc.).

Post: You would/should be amazed at how well carb reactive individuals respond to AP. This could be the cure all to your less than ideal responses to carbohydrates.

See bold:
    Do I neccessarily have to be on a keto/ or similar diet year round? No. Both pre/post AP responses reflect choices available.[Not that it really matter b/c I will do what I gotta do to maintain my desired level of bf, but just wondering how to maintain this level and being safe about it...I would suggest you get your blood work done. After going keto for over a year (Anabolic Diet style = gain weight AND minimize fat gain) my blood work appeared nomral, that is, minus elevated HDL levels. Yep, you read that right, heightened HDL levels!!!not sure if being on a constant keto diet is safe or unsafeSome have adverse reactions to it. Again, get your blood work done. That way you will know what is happening inside, as Im still a bit new to this stuff...man I got alot of reading to do.[/QUOTE]

Learning takes a life time!
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

also, on the high carb days, I think I will just do 2 pills of AP twice a day, 8 hours apart 15 mins before big carb meals.
    Honestly, there are a lot of ways you could incorporate AP.

If it were me, I would space out the AP as much as possible. Your body will be sucking up those carbs like sponge, so spreading the refeed out (as opposed to a couple carb dense meals) will maximize glycogen restoration and the anabolic cascade associated.

Just my 2 cents...
  16. New Member

alright, I read all of those links, and a few more threads on the differences of keto diets as well as the anabolic diet. I have a few more questions.

Pre & Post workout nutrition:
    Pre - Obviously its important to have carbs before a workout to give you fuel for the workout itself. Im asuming complex carbs maybe 45 min before would be suffiecient. (oats, or possibly WMS here?)
    Post - You asked me earlier whats the reason for post w/o carbs during a keto diet. Well, generally the reason for simple carbs here is to have an insulin boost which is anabolic, refuel glycogen levels, and helps other nutrients absorb faster...correct? But on a keto diet, it seems like you want your glycogen levels depleted at all times untill the two high carbs days..right? So, post w/o carbs in a simple form would not be a good idea. Obvisouly such a high insulin spike will kick you out of ketosis. So, is WMS a possibility here? Im not sure how WMS and insulin are related, as some state that WMS if fast digesting, but slow acting, which seems somewhat contradicting.

I am definately going to lower the carbs down from 100g to 30g from now on, mostly coming from oats, WMS, and veggies.

As far as carbs in geneeral, when is the best times to intake carbs on a keto diet. Usually the only times I would have carbs would be morning in first meal, pre&post w/o. Other than that it would be veggies in mid day, and at night with dinner. Im not sure if carbs in the morning would be crucial since I take ephedrine in the morning which gives me a boost untill lunch time. So, would a good carb layout be 15G WMS pre w/o, and 15G wms post w/o be sufficient during the low carb days?

Also, from reading those links and other material, it seems as if I might not be eating enough fat. I concentrate on trying to increase my fat intake a bit and see how that helps out with energy levels...maybe switching from egg whites to whole eggs in the morning, adding more olive oil to cooking meats, and more read meats/fish during the week.

High carb days, I will stick to leaner meets and concentrate on getting as much carbs in as I can for those 2 days.

Supplements - I will now start to cycle ephedring 5days on(low carb days) and two days off (high carb days) like mentioned in the links. I think this will also be a good idea to give my receptors a rest.

LMK how this is looking. Im trying to get better understanding of it all, but so far most of my research is coming from those links above, which mainly have to do with CKD. I am going to look more into the TKD as well as the anabolic diet, but they all seem closely related.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Great job reading...there is so much to take in regarding keto diets. Ok, it has been some time since I even spoke about keto diets to anyone, but I am contemplating another go at it. So I went over to Lyle McDonald's website, bodyrecomposition dot come and decided to peruse the books he had listed. To make a long story short, I ordered The Ultimate Diet 2.0. So, I am guessing after a couple months of lean bulking, I will give it a go (wife and kids are carb addicts).

My comments are listed below in bold.
    alright, I read all of those links, and a few more threads on the differences of keto diets as well as the anabolic diet. I have a few more questions.Questions are good, keep asking!

Pre & Post workout nutrition: My first reaction is, well another question for you...what is your primary goal with the CKD? If it is to bulk, then utilizing preworkout carbs (limited to glucose) AND a longer weekend carbohyrate refeed. Although, when all is said and done, you might want to eat more of a zone type diet. A guys I new, natural competitive bodybuilding from Texas, eventually went of the CKD because his progress was slowed. Once he started introducing more carbs, his rate of muscle increased. Of course everyone is different (he DID tend to put on more fat with carbs though ), right?

Ok, next option. If your primary goal is preserving LBM and losing fat, the standard CKD is your best bet. Done correctly, one can virtually guarentee little, if any LBM is lost on the diet. This is why I want to utilize Lyle's UD2.

Next up, would be the TKD. IMO, this diet is for the individual concerned with the quickest rate of fatloss. Hence, the lack of weekend carbohydrate refeeds. There is an attempt to minimize muscle loss via the preworkout carbs, but some can be expected.

So, what boat do you fit in?!
    Pre - Obviously its important to have carbs before a workout to give you fuel for the workout itself. Im asuming complex carbs maybe 45 min before would be suffiecient. (oats, or possibly WMS here?) You want/need a glucose based carb for two reasons. First, glucose is used immediately, since you one's muscle glycogen is depleted (varied degress, of course), the glucose would used here. Secondly, the use of glucose avoids and/or minimizes the distruption of ketosis by NOT refueling liver glycogen levels (this is what fructose does IMMEDIATELY).
    Post - You asked me earlier whats the reason for post w/o carbs during a keto diet. Well, generally the reason for simple carbs here is to have an insulin boost which is anabolic, refuel glycogen levels, and helps other nutrients absorb faster...correct? Yes, great answer. Now however, when you are using the CKD, hormones in the body are being regulated in a very unique way. To make a long story short, PWO carbs are not necessary for the standard CKD (again, unless you were outright bulking - but if one was outright bulking, employing a diet with more carbs would be more effective IMO).But on a keto diet, it seems like you want your glycogen levels depleted at all times untill the two high carbs days..right? Yes again.So, post w/o carbs in a simple form would not be a good idea. ...guess? Yes again!Obvisouly such a high insulin spike will kick you out of ketosis. Most likely, but one could minimize the time out of ketosis by utilize glucose (and manipulating quantity etc.)So, is WMS a possibility here? Possibly, but WMS was not on the scene when I employed the use of CKD. Give me a week or so, then I can consult UD2.Im not sure how WMS and insulin are related, as some state that WMS if fast digesting, but slow acting, which seems somewhat contradicting. WMS is a complex carbohydate that travels through the "gut" faster than glucose, that is, due to its ultra high molecular weight. Of course, adding protein (or anything else you desire will affect this rate) will slow delievery. I am uncertain what applications WMS would have on a standard CKD aside from the weekend refeed. This will involve further study.

I am definately going to lower the carbs down from 100g to 30g from now on, mostly coming from oats, WMS, and veggies.
    Solid decision.
    As far as carbs in geneeral, when is the best times to intake carbs on a keto diet. As a whole, try and limite carbs. With that said, it is not conclusive that the fewer the carbs and the deeper the state of ketosis yield greater fatloss. But, as a whole, I got my minimal amount of carbs from eggs, cheese and the occasional cheat of lowcarb cheese cake (sugar free jello mixed with cream cheese).Usually the only times I would have carbs would be morning in first meal, pre&post w/o. Other than that it would be veggies in mid day, and at night with dinner. Im not sure if carbs in the morning would be crucial since I take ephedrine in the morning which gives me a boost untill lunch time. So, would a good carb layout be 15G WMS pre w/o, and 15G wms post w/o be sufficient during the low carb days? See above (application of diet according to goals/choices).

Also, from reading those links and other material, it seems as if I might not be eating enough fat. I concentrate on trying to increase my fat intake a bit and see how that helps out with energy levels...maybe switching from egg whites to whole eggs in the morning, adding more olive oil to cooking meats, and more read meats/fish during the week.Aside form minimal carb use, your macro nutrient breakdown should reflect 70% fat 30% protein. Remember, too much protein will induce glucogenesis (glucose created from protein) and disrupt ketosis.

High carb days, I will stick to leaner meets and concentrate on getting as much carbs in as I can for those 2 days. Yep. Aim for 60% carbs, 30% protein and 10% fat. Be carefull not to eat to much fat or carbs as this will leave you feeling full/bloated and inhibit the amount of carbs you need to eat.

Supplements - I will now start to cycle ephedring 5days on(low carb days) and two days off (high carb days) like mentioned in the links. I think this will also be a good idea to give my receptors a rest. Just be prudent in your use.

LMK how this is looking. Im trying to get better understanding of it all, but so far most of my research is coming from those links above, which mainly have to do with CKD. I am going to look more into the TKD as well as the anabolic diet, but they all seem closely related.
    It seems like you are heading in the right direction!!!
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderduncan View Post
    Great job reading...there is so much to take in regarding keto diets. Ok, it has been some time since I even spoke about keto diets to anyone, but I am contemplating another go at it. So I went over to Lyle McDonald's website, bodyrecomposition dot come and decided to peruse the books he had listed. To make a long story short, I ordered The Ultimate Diet 2.0. So, I am guessing after a couple months of lean bulking, I will give it a go (wife and kids are carb addicts).

My comments are listed below in bold.
    It seems like you are heading in the right direction!!!
    Great advice duncan. I remember reading in the Anabolic Diet book that you still need to continue getting a good amount of fats on your carb up days, but can curtail protein intake to like 10%.

Dank, one thing I do with PWO shakes in CKD is blending oil and protein powder. I like the taste.
  19. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Designer Supps View Post
    If you are only staying under a 100gms of carbs youll never reach ketosis. So keep using the AP.

you need to stay under 100 to stay in ketosis,......

read up on duchains work with Prescription GDAs
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Sprinter + Keto/Anabolic Diet?
    By redrocket399 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 07:35 PM
  2. Anabolic Pump on Anabolic Diet ?s
    By bj22 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 10:47 PM
  3. Anabolic diet/keto a good diet for me?
    By johnyq in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 10:31 AM
  4. Getting off anabolic diet - with anabolic pump's help
    By dertynasty in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 04:15 PM