Who takes salt post workout?

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering how many people take salt post workout. I've heard of some people doing it for pumps etc. but what other benefits do you see? I don't really think I'm low on sodium because I eat cottage cheese that's quite a lot of salt. Just wondering what you find the benefits are if you do it.

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
Before I switched over to wms I took two scoops of gatorade powder post workout. Which has a good shot of sodium in it, if your taking a creatine product sodium is suppose to help with the absorbtion, but otherwise Im not sure of any other benefits?

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
i take a teaspoon of salt and baking soda after everyworkout ONLY because i live in a tropical climate...where u lose anyway from 5-8 pounds in one workout...

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
I knew it was pretty uncommon but I thought a few people would be doing it. Ah well. I can see the reason for that for sure Jared but I wondered about people that took it for other reasons since I've heard a few people talk about doing it.

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
ive heard of "soda loading" b4 workouts which is when u take 2 teaspoons of baking soda suppose to buffer the hydrogen ions better which will reduce lactic acid output...but i doubt it does anything...

ncangey0513

ncangey0513

Awards
  • Established
ive heard of "soda loading" b4 workouts which is when u take 2 teaspoons of baking soda suppose to buffer the hydrogen ions better which will reduce lactic acid output...but i doubt it does anything...
i'm not sure how healthy it is to play with your bodys pH levels, but NaHCO3 will definitely alter the pH of whatever it is added to (it will depend since it's an amphetoric) and it has many different uses.

lector606

lector606

Awards
I'm a fan of a high-salt salsa on some melba toast or something post workout, because if I don't have it I get diiiiizzy

I sweat a lot!

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually eat something salty before working out. I don't know if it helps, but it's a good excuse to have some chips.

lector606

lector606

Awards
salt gives u water retention
lol, it's a little more complicated than that :). do i look like i'm retaining a lot of water? besides, try eating no sodium for a week and tell me how it goes. avoiding sodium is actually very unhealthy and can lead to a variety of problems (just ask me, my sodium levels were so low i was at risk for a heart failure, and that was mostly because i thought what you posted)