Creating Your Own Supplements

  1. New Member
    matheje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    6.11%

    Creating Your Own Supplements


    Anyone ever try this?

    There is a discount supplement retailer here in CT. who sells a lot of bulk powders. One of their employees mixes his own pre and post workout formulas. I've heard other guys at the gym do the same.

    For example some have combined:

    Arginine powder
    Taurine powder
    Glutamine
    Creatine (in several different forms, i.e. mono, tricreatine malate, kre, etc.)
    BCAA powder
    beta-alinine
    betaine
    etc.

    Supposedly they've gotten good results. Jusat curious if anyone has tried this and if you've had any success.

  2. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191397
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I'd rather get something that doesn't taste like a mixture of chemicals
  3. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17440
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I suppose you could cap them... but idk. I'd rather let the pros do it
    SFW and GFH
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191397
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    I suppose you could cap them... but idk. I'd rather let the pros do it
    Tried that before. Make sure you have a vacuum next to you. And make sure to wash the cap m quick after. And your hands. And probably change your clothes. And hopefully no moisture will be on your hands, otherwise your "caps" will be sticky and nasty.
  5. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17440
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    lol yeah... Ill let the pros do it!
    SFW and GFH
  6. New Member
    matheje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    6.11%

    OK, so I guess that's a collective NO...no one has tried and no one plans to.

    I don't think the guys who do this cap them, I think they create a pre or post workout powder that they mix with water (and something else for taste, I'm sure).

    I agree with you guys for the most part...let someone else do it, in the right quantities, with some focus on the drinkability of the mixture. The only benefit I suppose is that if most products contain an ingredient your not comfortable ingesting (i.e. glycocyomine in many pre-workout formulas) you could leave that component out.

    Probably much more work than it's worth.
  7. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17440
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    well... you could make a hobby out of it I guess.... Give it a shot and let us know how it works out! I would find something strong to mask the taste though.
    SFW and GFH
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,881
    Rep Power
    778122
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    it depends, i've done it before with a variety of things. take ATD for instance. you can get 20g for $30. a bottle of even the nutraplanet ATD has less than 3g worth in it for $17 or so. plenty of individual particular ingredients are like that, for some reason you can find it bulk inexpensively here or there at a price that cant be compared. Also, its handy to spike up other things. If you have a preworkout drink that doesn't include beta alanine, add your own
  9. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,764
    Rep Power
    1040302

    Quote Originally Posted by matheje View Post
    Anyone ever try this?

    There is a discount supplement retailer here in CT. who sells a lot of bulk powders. One of their employees mixes his own pre and post workout formulas. I've heard other guys at the gym do the same.

    For example some have combined:

    Arginine powder
    Taurine powder
    Glutamine
    Creatine (in several different forms, i.e. mono, tricreatine malate, kre, etc.)
    BCAA powder
    beta-alinine
    betaine
    etc.

    Supposedly they've gotten good results. Jusat curious if anyone has tried this and if you've had any success.
    NutraPlanet sells bulk powders at discount prices.

    Right now I mix creatine mono, leucine and BA with Xtend (a flavored BCAA mix).

    I use this pre/intra workout. I then add WMS to it for post workout. It doesn't taste great but it is not that bad.

    The other stuff you are adding may or may not be too bad, I don't know. But the thing is you can add crystal light (knock of brands to save money) to mask the bad taste. It's not like you need to have some great tasting drink...its a pre or post workout drink.

    People do this all the time.

    I don't know, maybe I am missing your point.
  10. New Member
    matheje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    6.11%

    Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    NutraPlanet sells bulk powders at discount prices.

    Right now I mix creatine mono, leucine and BA with Xtend (a flavored BCAA mix).

    I use this pre/intra workout. I then add WMS to it for post workout. It doesn't taste great but it is not that bad.

    The other stuff you are adding may or may not be too bad, I don't know. But the thing is you can add crystal light (knock of brands to save money) to mask the bad taste. It's not like you need to have some great tasting drink...its a pre or post workout drink.

    People do this all the time.

    I don't know, maybe I am missing your point.
    No, your hitting on my point. What got me thinking of this is that I like pre-workout powders without an abundance of stimulants...I don't need tons of caffeine to get energized for the gym, so I've used v12 or Horsepower recently. I also want to stay away from glycocyamine, which is in both of those mixtures, so now I'm thinking why not mix my own stuff.
  11. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17440
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    If I may ask... Why no glycocyamine?
    SFW and GFH
  12. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,881
    Rep Power
    778122
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    pick up some of the crystal light lemonade mix to use for taste
  13. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191397
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    If I may ask... Why no glycocyamine?
    Bad for you!

    Supposedly it raises homocysteine in the blood
  14. New Member
    matheje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    6.11%

    There seems to be significant recent articles regarding negative impacts of GAA...for instance:

    Does glycocyamine have any side effects?
    GAA does come with an added risk. Because the conversion of GAA into creatine through GAMT requires SAMe, or S-adenosylmethionine to be present, a chain reaction occurs. The amount of SAMe that is typically used for the biosynthesis of endogenous creatine is more than the amount used for all other methylation reactions in your body combined. As a result of this reaction, homocysteine is produced. This increases blood concentrations of homocysteine and has unfortunately been linked to an elevated risk for vascular disease.


    Having a Dad who had heart/vascular disease makes me wary...at least until I find out more. I'm trying to stay as clean as possible...but don't want to miss the benefits of products that seem to work for me, i.e. pre-workout products containing creatine.
  15. Advanced Member
    SokVichet's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    869
    Rep Power
    529
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    3.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    it depends, i've done it before with a variety of things. take ATD for instance. you can get 20g for $30. a bottle of even the nutraplanet ATD has less than 3g worth in it for $17 or so. plenty of individual particular ingredients are like that, for some reason you can find it bulk inexpensively here or there at a price that cant be compared. Also, its handy to spike up other things. If you have a preworkout drink that doesn't include beta alanine, add your own
    That's where my bulk supplies go. Quite a few companies formulate their mixes to overlap and stack, meaning if you only want one product from the stack you are likely missing an optimal dose of X compound that you would have gotten from the second product. So I just go and buy the bulk to round it out without being tied down, and as a bonus it's a great way to extend the number of doses. Ends up slightly cheaper overall.

    I also prefer non-caffeinated products so I can control that as needed (Rag caffeine-free roks). I generally go completely stimulant free, almost all the time. But when I do want a boost, I just pop caffeine tab from my bulk stash, or am free to have a cup of coffee.
  16. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191397
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by matheje View Post
    There seems to be significant recent articles regarding negative impacts of GAA...for instance:

    Does glycocyamine have any side effects?
    GAA does come with an added risk. Because the conversion of GAA into creatine through GAMT requires SAMe, or S-adenosylmethionine to be present, a chain reaction occurs. The amount of SAMe that is typically used for the biosynthesis of endogenous creatine is more than the amount used for all other methylation reactions in your body combined. As a result of this reaction, homocysteine is produced. This increases blood concentrations of homocysteine and has unfortunately been linked to an elevated risk for vascular disease.


    Having a Dad who had heart/vascular disease makes me wary...at least until I find out more. I'm trying to stay as clean as possible...but don't want to miss the benefits of products that seem to work for me, i.e. pre-workout products containing creatine.
    yup

    this has been known for a while. controlled labs even took it out of our green bulge formula to keep people safe. some creatine products still contain it though so be careful
  17. Advanced Member
    SokVichet's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    869
    Rep Power
    529
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    3.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    Bad for you!

    Supposedly it raises homocysteine in the blood
    No homo! O.o
  18. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17440
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    lol. Thanks for the info guys... I didn't realize that so many products had it in. Gonna start watching for that... Anyone want half a tub of NO Xplode? lol
    SFW and GFH
  19. Senior Member
    bigpapa's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,955
    Rep Power
    1572
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    75.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    hey OP...where in CT? im from CT as well.
  20. New Member
    matheje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    6.11%

    I read somethign that said Betaine, if taken in quantities 4x the amount of glyco, can negate the ill effects of glyco.

    V12 has betaine, but not to that level...not sure I'd rely on that theory anyway.

    So I have this tub of horsepower that has gly in it...and a 1/2 tub of v12 that has it. I'll either pitch it or I'll dilute it with the same mixture of the products other ingredients so I'd get much less of the product with each serving.
  21. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17440
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    What is the seriousness of it though? An extreme excess will cause it? 1 scoop a week is bad? How much can the body properly regulate?
    SFW and GFH
  22. New Member
    matheje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    6.11%

    Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    What is the seriousness of it though? An extreme excess will cause it? 1 scoop a week is bad? How much can the body properly regulate?
    That is what I can't seem to find out.
  23. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17440
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I'm gonna try to steer clear but... is one tub of a product really gonna hurt you that much? I'd like to know how much you need in your system and where this stuff comes from besides supps....
    SFW and GFH
  24. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    577
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    Tried that before. Make sure you have a vacuum next to you. And make sure to wash the cap m quick after. And your hands. And probably change your clothes. And hopefully no moisture will be on your hands, otherwise your "caps" will be sticky and nasty.

    I am an adult with alot of thigs going on day to day. The last thing i have time for is tyring to cap bulk powders. You can get great supps priced very well these days that actually work and taste pretty damn good. The only thing i really buy in bulk is BCAA's and acetyl l carnitine and i mix that with xtend.
  25. New Member
    matheje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    6.11%

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    I am an adult with alot of thigs going on day to day. The last thing i have time for is tyring to cap bulk powders. You can get great supps priced very well these days that actually work and taste pretty damn good. The only thing i really buy in bulk is BCAA's and acetyl l carnitine and i mix that with xtend.
    I don't think anyone here was contemplating capping the powders...I know the premise of this thread certainly wasn't that. It was to elicit feedback on whether anyone had any success combining bulk materials.

    Turns out quite a few have taken a product, identified what it lacked (from their own point of view) and combined bulk material to generate a more effective compund for them. Basically what you are doing with BCAAs' carnitine and extend.
  26. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,881
    Rep Power
    778122
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    i've capped before too. some crap is just too hideous to take any other way. but when the price works, the price works. yellow gold is a prime example. 150g for $30 gives you 50 days worth at 3g a day in 3 1g doses. tyrosine too, doesn't mix with anything worth a crap
  27. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    577
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%

    Quote Originally Posted by matheje View Post
    I don't think anyone here was contemplating capping the powders...I know the premise of this thread certainly wasn't that. It was to elicit feedback on whether anyone had any success combining bulk materials.

    Turns out quite a few have taken a product, identified what it lacked (from their own point of view) and combined bulk material to generate a more effective compund for them. Basically what you are doing with BCAAs' carnitine and extend.

    Not sure why my attention turned to capping, lol. Bulk powders are greet for certain things, not so great for others. I do try and find things that have good combinations though, the last thing anyone wants is 15 1000mg containers floating around the kitchen, lol.
  28. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17440
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    yeah... I find it tough to find spots for 5lb protein tub, and a few random containers that just happen to be around
    SFW and GFH
  29. New Member
    matheje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    6.11%

    So true, JCP, the stuff takes up enough room as it is. You'd have to mix it all up in one container and chuck the rest, but by then you'd need a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket to fit it in.
  30. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17440
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    lol. That would last you for a while though!
    SFW and GFH
  31. Registered User
    Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,328
    Rep Power
    13070
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    28.75%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Making your own products with bulk powders is a great idea but do use crystal light for flavoring or else you'll feel like your drinking sewer water mixed with battery acid.
  32. New Member
    matheje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    6.11%

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior View Post
    Making your own products with bulk powders is a great idea but do use crystal light for flavoring or else you'll feel like your drinking sewer water mixed with battery acid.

    And what's wrong with that?

    kidding, thanks for the tip.
  33. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191397
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    What if I drink sewer water with battery acid already ... will adding the supps make it taste better????
  34. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,881
    Rep Power
    778122
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    so you're saying you've tried clearshot?
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. creating my own PCT
    By Innov8004 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
  2. Creating Custom Supplements
    By MuscleGuyinNY in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 08:06 AM
  3. creating a web page
    By MgoBlue in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 12:14 PM
  4. Creating a New Routine ...
    By SocrBalls84 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in