Creating Your Own Supplements

matheje

Awards
Anyone ever try this?

There is a discount supplement retailer here in CT. who sells a lot of bulk powders. One of their employees mixes his own pre and post workout formulas. I've heard other guys at the gym do the same.

For example some have combined:

Arginine powder
Taurine powder
Glutamine
Creatine (in several different forms, i.e. mono, tricreatine malate, kre, etc.)
BCAA powder
beta-alinine
betaine
etc.

Supposedly they've gotten good results. Jusat curious if anyone has tried this and if you've had any success.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I'd rather get something that doesn't taste like a mixture of chemicals

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
I suppose you could cap them... but idk. I'd rather let the pros do it

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I suppose you could cap them... but idk. I'd rather let the pros do it
Tried that before. Make sure you have a vacuum next to you. And make sure to wash the cap m quick after. And your hands. And probably change your clothes. And hopefully no moisture will be on your hands, otherwise your "caps" will be sticky and nasty. :icon_lol:

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
lol yeah... Ill let the pros do it!

matheje

Awards
OK, so I guess that's a collective NO...no one has tried and no one plans to.

I don't think the guys who do this cap them, I think they create a pre or post workout powder that they mix with water (and something else for taste, I'm sure).

I agree with you guys for the most part...let someone else do it, in the right quantities, with some focus on the drinkability of the mixture. The only benefit I suppose is that if most products contain an ingredient your not comfortable ingesting (i.e. glycocyomine in many pre-workout formulas) you could leave that component out.

Probably much more work than it's worth.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
well... you could make a hobby out of it I guess.... Give it a shot and let us know how it works out! I would find something strong to mask the taste though.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it depends, i've done it before with a variety of things. take ATD for instance. you can get 20g for $30. a bottle of even the nutraplanet ATD has less than 3g worth in it for $17 or so. plenty of individual particular ingredients are like that, for some reason you can find it bulk inexpensively here or there at a price that cant be compared. Also, its handy to spike up other things. If you have a preworkout drink that doesn't include beta alanine, add your own

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone ever try this?

There is a discount supplement retailer here in CT. who sells a lot of bulk powders. One of their employees mixes his own pre and post workout formulas. I've heard other guys at the gym do the same.

For example some have combined:

Arginine powder
Taurine powder
Glutamine
Creatine (in several different forms, i.e. mono, tricreatine malate, kre, etc.)
BCAA powder
beta-alinine
betaine
etc.

Supposedly they've gotten good results. Jusat curious if anyone has tried this and if you've had any success.
NutraPlanet sells bulk powders at discount prices.

Right now I mix creatine mono, leucine and BA with Xtend (a flavored BCAA mix).

I use this pre/intra workout. I then add WMS to it for post workout. It doesn't taste great but it is not that bad.

The other stuff you are adding may or may not be too bad, I don't know. But the thing is you can add crystal light (knock of brands to save money) to mask the bad taste. It's not like you need to have some great tasting drink...its a pre or post workout drink.

People do this all the time.

I don't know, maybe I am missing your point.

matheje

Awards
NutraPlanet sells bulk powders at discount prices.

Right now I mix creatine mono, leucine and BA with Xtend (a flavored BCAA mix).

I use this pre/intra workout. I then add WMS to it for post workout. It doesn't taste great but it is not that bad.

The other stuff you are adding may or may not be too bad, I don't know. But the thing is you can add crystal light (knock of brands to save money) to mask the bad taste. It's not like you need to have some great tasting drink...its a pre or post workout drink.

People do this all the time.

I don't know, maybe I am missing your point.
No, your hitting on my point. What got me thinking of this is that I like pre-workout powders without an abundance of stimulants...I don't need tons of caffeine to get energized for the gym, so I've used v12 or Horsepower recently. I also want to stay away from glycocyamine, which is in both of those mixtures, so now I'm thinking why not mix my own stuff.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
If I may ask... Why no glycocyamine?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
pick up some of the crystal light lemonade mix to use for taste

matheje

Awards
There seems to be significant recent articles regarding negative impacts of GAA...for instance:

Does glycocyamine have any side effects?
GAA does come with an added risk. Because the conversion of GAA into creatine through GAMT requires SAMe, or S-adenosylmethionine to be present, a chain reaction occurs. The amount of SAMe that is typically used for the biosynthesis of endogenous creatine is more than the amount used for all other methylation reactions in your body combined. As a result of this reaction, homocysteine is produced. This increases blood concentrations of homocysteine and has unfortunately been linked to an elevated risk for vascular disease.

Having a Dad who had heart/vascular disease makes me wary...at least until I find out more. I'm trying to stay as clean as possible...but don't want to miss the benefits of products that seem to work for me, i.e. pre-workout products containing creatine.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
it depends, i've done it before with a variety of things. take ATD for instance. you can get 20g for $30. a bottle of even the nutraplanet ATD has less than 3g worth in it for $17 or so. plenty of individual particular ingredients are like that, for some reason you can find it bulk inexpensively here or there at a price that cant be compared. Also, its handy to spike up other things. If you have a preworkout drink that doesn't include beta alanine, add your own
That's where my bulk supplies go. Quite a few companies formulate their mixes to overlap and stack, meaning if you only want one product from the stack you are likely missing an optimal dose of X compound that you would have gotten from the second product. So I just go and buy the bulk to round it out without being tied down, and as a bonus it's a great way to extend the number of doses. Ends up slightly cheaper overall.

I also prefer non-caffeinated products so I can control that as needed (Rag caffeine-free roks). I generally go completely stimulant free, almost all the time. But when I do want a boost, I just pop caffeine tab from my bulk stash, or am free to have a cup of coffee.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
There seems to be significant recent articles regarding negative impacts of GAA...for instance:

Does glycocyamine have any side effects?
GAA does come with an added risk. Because the conversion of GAA into creatine through GAMT requires SAMe, or S-adenosylmethionine to be present, a chain reaction occurs. The amount of SAMe that is typically used for the biosynthesis of endogenous creatine is more than the amount used for all other methylation reactions in your body combined. As a result of this reaction, homocysteine is produced. This increases blood concentrations of homocysteine and has unfortunately been linked to an elevated risk for vascular disease.

Having a Dad who had heart/vascular disease makes me wary...at least until I find out more. I'm trying to stay as clean as possible...but don't want to miss the benefits of products that seem to work for me, i.e. pre-workout products containing creatine.
yup

this has been known for a while. controlled labs even took it out of our green bulge formula to keep people safe. some creatine products still contain it though so be careful

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
lol. Thanks for the info guys... I didn't realize that so many products had it in. Gonna start watching for that... Anyone want half a tub of NO Xplode? lol

matheje

Awards
I read somethign that said Betaine, if taken in quantities 4x the amount of glyco, can negate the ill effects of glyco.

V12 has betaine, but not to that level...not sure I'd rely on that theory anyway.

So I have this tub of horsepower that has gly in it...and a 1/2 tub of v12 that has it. I'll either pitch it or I'll dilute it with the same mixture of the products other ingredients so I'd get much less of the product with each serving.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
What is the seriousness of it though? An extreme excess will cause it? 1 scoop a week is bad? How much can the body properly regulate?

matheje

Awards
What is the seriousness of it though? An extreme excess will cause it? 1 scoop a week is bad? How much can the body properly regulate?
That is what I can't seem to find out.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna try to steer clear but... is one tub of a product really gonna hurt you that much? I'd like to know how much you need in your system and where this stuff comes from besides supps....

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Tried that before. Make sure you have a vacuum next to you. And make sure to wash the cap m quick after. And your hands. And probably change your clothes. And hopefully no moisture will be on your hands, otherwise your "caps" will be sticky and nasty. :icon_lol:

I am an adult with alot of thigs going on day to day. The last thing i have time for is tyring to cap bulk powders. You can get great supps priced very well these days that actually work and taste pretty damn good. The only thing i really buy in bulk is BCAA's and acetyl l carnitine and i mix that with xtend.

matheje

Awards
I am an adult with alot of thigs going on day to day. The last thing i have time for is tyring to cap bulk powders. You can get great supps priced very well these days that actually work and taste pretty damn good. The only thing i really buy in bulk is BCAA's and acetyl l carnitine and i mix that with xtend.
I don't think anyone here was contemplating capping the powders...I know the premise of this thread certainly wasn't that. It was to elicit feedback on whether anyone had any success combining bulk materials.

Turns out quite a few have taken a product, identified what it lacked (from their own point of view) and combined bulk material to generate a more effective compund for them. Basically what you are doing with BCAAs' carnitine and extend.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i've capped before too. some crap is just too hideous to take any other way. but when the price works, the price works. yellow gold is a prime example. 150g for $30 gives you 50 days worth at 3g a day in 3 1g doses. tyrosine too, doesn't mix with anything worth a crap

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I don't think anyone here was contemplating capping the powders...I know the premise of this thread certainly wasn't that. It was to elicit feedback on whether anyone had any success combining bulk materials.

Turns out quite a few have taken a product, identified what it lacked (from their own point of view) and combined bulk material to generate a more effective compund for them. Basically what you are doing with BCAAs' carnitine and extend.

Not sure why my attention turned to capping, lol. Bulk powders are greet for certain things, not so great for others. I do try and find things that have good combinations though, the last thing anyone wants is 15 1000mg containers floating around the kitchen, lol.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
yeah... I find it tough to find spots for 5lb protein tub, and a few random containers that just happen to be around

matheje

Awards
So true, JCP, the stuff takes up enough room as it is. You'd have to mix it all up in one container and chuck the rest, but by then you'd need a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket to fit it in.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
lol. That would last you for a while though!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Making your own products with bulk powders is a great idea but do use crystal light for flavoring or else you'll feel like your drinking sewer water mixed with battery acid.

matheje

Awards
Making your own products with bulk powders is a great idea but do use crystal light for flavoring or else you'll feel like your drinking sewer water mixed with battery acid.

And what's wrong with that?

kidding, thanks for the tip.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
What if I drink sewer water with battery acid already ... will adding the supps make it taste better???? :thumbsup::think: