Vitamin D question

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
I'm confused about how much vitamin D I should be getting through supplementation. Right now I'm taking 2500 IU a day. Is that enough? Should I also be hitting the tanning bed a twice a week or what? How the **** would I even know if I was deficient?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Only way to tell is to have bloodwork. If you suspect it then get a bottle of "Vitamin D3" and dose per label directions.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
If you're not out in the sun for at least 15min a day it's probably a good idea to supplement it. Check your multi's (or other supps) as a lot of them now include a decent amount.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm in the sun for at least 2-3 hours a day during the week and all day on the weekends and supplement with 3000IU. It keeps my levels in the high normal range. The only way to know for sure outside if symptoms is lab work, like Kenpo mentioned.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Blood work is inexpensive. There's a sticky about blood work and how to get it inexpensively, without using Insurance, in the Anabolic's section.

AlberTOP

AlberTOP

Awards
May I just ask why are you so concerned about your Vit D level? If you're out in the sun for 2-3 hours a day, I'm pretty sure you will have enough activated vit d in your body. That is if you don't have a hormonal problem or something.

1merRep

1merRep

Awards
Dr. Rhonda Patrick has written some studies on Vitamin D and it impact on brain function. It also plays a big part in protein synthesis thought the body not just skeletal muscles. I'm still reading and trying tom understand but thought it my help.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Only way to tell is to have bloodwork. If you suspect it then get a bottle of "Vitamin D3" and dose per label directions.
Bloodwork is definitely the best bet. Most people go with 2k-5k iu D3 a day.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Ok guys thanks for the responses. I might just get blood work to make sure. If it's low I'll start tanning and taking at least 5000 IU a day. I do need to tan though I'm looking pasty and it's summer!

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What are optimal levels for Vit D (25-OH)? I've seen ranges all over the place online. Recent tests came back at 37 (that's with taking 2,000 IU per day). It's in the range the doctor provided (30-100) but that's a pretty big range.

liftandletdie

Awards
I think I have heard that the current vitamin D test (testing for the active form 25-hydroxy) may have flaws. Adding more sun exposure will stimulate 7-Dehydrocholesterol > Vit D production in the skin with less unwanted Vitamin D side effects as oral but that's not always possible.

I always vary my Vitamin D intake based on any sun exposure, taking days off completely. I use a 500 IU gel cap so I have more control over the dosage. I also add MK-7 with my vitamin D in small amounts to prevent unwanted calcification.

MuscleReview

MuscleReview

Awards
Low vitamin D can also cause low testosterone.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately these days it is difficult to get the necessary amount of vit D from sun exposure. With the multitude of contaminants in our atmosphere and the over-use of miscellaneous body products (skin lotions, sunscreen, etc...) our bodies no longer synthesize vit D as they would have 500 yrs ago. Therefor supplementation is necessary. Vit D is being studied more and more and as a result vit D3 is being classified as a steroid in some cases. Not AAS but a natural hormone (steroid) along the lines of Melatonin. Studies also bounce back and forth regarding the correct recommended daily amount. Personally I have found 5000IU broken up over 2 doses daily to be the sweet spot. Helps keep T levels where they need to be along with a host of other health benefits.

Now there is a multitude of products out there spinning off the D3 axis. Some good .... some great .... some totally useless. All I can say is do your research .... and then do more research. ;)

liftandletdie

Awards
Now there is a multitude of products out there spinning off the D3 axis. Some good .... some great .... some totally useless. All I can say is do your research .... and then do more research. ;)
Speaking which... I just saw that SHR is releasing a topical Vitamin D product called Primal-D which essentially is supposed to eliminate unwanted sides associated with the oral version. I guess they have a patent pending too.

z28spd

Awards
What are optimal levels for Vit D (25-OH)? I've seen ranges all over the place online. Recent tests came back at 37 (that's with taking 2,000 IU per day). It's in the range the doctor provided (30-100) but that's a pretty big range.
50-75 ng/mL is the optimal range i believe

liftandletdie

Awards
I think I have heard that the current vitamin D test (testing for the active form 25-hydroxy) may have flaws.
I checked back on this. Apparently the flaw is based on the relationship between 25 Hydroxy vitamin D (calcidiol) and calcitriol. The general idea of testing for vitamin D through the 25 Hydroxy form rather than straight Vitamin D is because the conversion process is so rapid that after you take in Vitamin D there is a spike in your blood and then it quickly diminishes. On the other hand testing for what 25 hydroxy vitamin D gets converted to which is calcitriol (about 1000 times more active) seems inappropriate since it is so closely regulated by the body that its levels are almost always the same. In fact they can even be higher when a deficiency is occurring.

The problem is that genetics and other circumstances can play a factor on how these two relate. They can influence the rate of conversion from calcidiol into calcitriol. Some people can have a better, more efficient conversion into calcitriol allowing them to be adapted to a lower amount of 25 hydroxy vitamin d (calcidiol).

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Speaking which... I just saw that SHR is releasing a topical Vitamin D product called Primal-D which essentially is supposed to eliminate unwanted sides associated with the oral version. I guess they have a patent pending too.
Interesting .... :privateeye:

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is there a general guideline for increasing vitamin d levels (i.e. for every 1,000 iu your vitamin d level increases by approximately 10)? I'm trying to determine a good starting point for increasing my vitamin d level before going back for my yearly checkup. Also, anyone with experience using higher doses to decrease chronic pain levels (had a chiropractor recommend it)?

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, to answer my own question (and in case anyone else is interested) the site grassrootshealth.net has a chart which lists the doses required to increase you vitamin d levels from one level to another. I don't know how accurate it is, or how reputable the site, but it at least provides a starting point.

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
wheres the link^

also now that its winter for the most part wont be getting any of the right uv rays to stimulate vitamin D from the sun