Cissus + African Mango for weight loss

1. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.98%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Cissus + African Mango for weight loss

The use of a Cissus quadrangularis/Irvingia gabonensis combination in the management of weight loss: a double-blind placebo-controlled study

Abstract

AIM:

To evaluate the effects of two formulations, Cissus quadrangularis-only and a Cissus quadrangularis/Irvingia gabonensis combination, on weight loss in overweight and obese human subjects.
    METHODS:

The study was a 10 week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled design involving 72 obese or overweight participants (45.8% male; 54.2% female; ages 21-44; mean age = 29.3). The participants were randomly divided into three equal (n = 24) groups: placebo, Cissus quadrangularis-only, and Cissus quadrangularis/Irvingia gabonensis combination. Capsules containing the placebo or active formulations were administered twice daily before meals; no major dietary changes nor exercises were suggested during the study. A total of six anthropomorphic and serological measurements (body weight, body fat, waist size; total plasma cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, fasting blood glucose level) were taken at baseline and at 4, 8 and 10 weeks.
    RESULTS:

Compared to the placebo group, the two active groups showed a statistically significant difference on all six variables by week 10. The magnitude of the differences was noticeable by week 4 and continued to increase over the trial period.
    CONCLUSION:

Although the Cissus quadrangularis-only group showed significant reductions on all variables compared to the placebo group, the Cissus quadrangularis/Irvingia gabonensis combination resulted in even larger reductions. This apparently synergistic formulation should prove helpful in the management of obesity and its related complications.

PMID: 18377661

For full text -

The use of a Cissus quadrangularis/Irvingia gabonensis combination in the management of weight loss: a double-blind placebo-controlled study
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

2. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.98%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.12%

Very interesting combo. I wonder how many of the subjects actually did do some exercise and implemented diet changes? Pretty solid loss over 10 weeks without the suggestion of either diet or exercise changes.
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.48%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Seen this, but isn't it sponsored by some product owners?

Edit: Yeah, the patent holders. They're located in the same city as SNS HQ
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  5. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.98%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Seen this, but isn't it sponsored by some product owners?Edit: Yeah, the patent holders. They're located in the same city as SNS HQ
    I understand the comment but we have to realize in this industry funding has to come from somewhere does it not? If you can see the methods used (credible methods within a randomized double blind placebo controlled, etc,) then it really shouldn't be a big deal who funds or supplies something.
  6. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.48%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I understand the comment but we have to realize in this industry funding has to come from somewhere does it not? If you can see the methods used (credible methods within a randomized double blind placebo controlled, etc,) then it really shouldn't be a big deal who funds or supplies something.
    It can be tough to tell. For instance, if you look at any muscletech study, it screams relevant, well-conducted awesomeness. And yet...we all know the credibility is nil
  7. Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    It can be tough to tell. For instance, if you look at any muscletech study, it screams relevant, well-conducted awesomeness. And yet...we all know the credibility is nil
    I'm with you there.. I saw this cissus/Irvingia study awhile ago I dug into it a bit and saw who sponsored it and got turned off. IMO I think there are a lot of studies being funded that may really have something behind them but they are also funded to be money makers... Like you said with muscletech it all looks on the up and up and awesome but are they really putting the proper doses in the products from the studies that show the ingredients benefits? Who knows..
  8. New Member
    Stats
    4'9"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33%

Talking Best Weight Loss Supplement

Choosing a weight loss supplement is really not an easy task as however I have found a program which really worked for me nicely.....Even I wanna share the program with u to get out of worries of your over gained pounds...

weightloss-solution.biz
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33%

African Mango is really effective and easy way to lose weight without any hassles....one can get all details about these pills here.

africanmango-extracts.com
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.8%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I will be running a Cissus/AM stack (same extracts) beginning later this week, lasting for 60 days. My goal is to support weight loss, but primarily to help lower LDL. I have an LDL count at 115, as of a few weeks ago, and will be retested in February.

I just thought I would point this out because, although I will not be observing a strict protocol -- in that I will continue to use other supposed LDL targeting supss (oat bran, almond meal, mod. citrus pectin, Niacin) -- it may be interesting to see the results.
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.03%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

My understanding is that Cissus lowers cortisol pretty effectively. I imagine that would have a play in here.
  12. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.48%

Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    My understanding is that Cissus lowers cortisol pretty effectively. I imagine that would have a play in here.
    It has no effect on cortisol. You can search my past posts on it
  13. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.04%

Quote Originally Posted by Myodyne View Post
    I'm with you there.. I saw this cissus/Irvingia study awhile ago I dug into it a bit and saw who sponsored it and got turned off. IMO I think there are a lot of studies being funded that may really have something behind them but they are also funded to be money makers... Like you said with muscletech it all looks on the up and up and awesome but are they really putting the proper doses in the products from the studies that show the ingredients benefits? Who knows..
    If Industry doesn't fund, who will and why? Drug Trials are all privately funded.

We should support industry funded research not make it a dogma....
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.8%

I have no issue with who funds the study; provided it is done properly and it is objective.

If I had a company, and I wanted to verify supposed benefits, and - if verified - that would lead to a large revenue stream - I would fund a study.
  15. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.98%

Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    If Industry doesn't fund, who will and why? Drug Trials are all privately funded.

We should support industry funded research not make it a dogma....
    Agree 100%

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ergopharm AMP for weight loss
    By Syr in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 01:58 PM
  2. Water Beats Ephedra For Weight Loss
    By Sheesh in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 12:23 PM
  3. Bromocriptine for Weight Loss