Ubiquinol supplementation enhances peak power production - study

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ubiquinol supplementation enhances peak power production in trained athletes: a double-blind, placebo controlled study

Dietmar Alf, Michael E Schmidt and Stefan C Siebrecht

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2013, 10:24 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-10-24
Published: 29 April 2013

Abstract (provisional)

Background

To investigate the effect of Ubiquinol supplementation on physical performance measured as maximum power output in young and healthy elite trained athletes.

Methods

In this double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 100 young German well trained athletes (53 male, 47 female, age 19.9 +/- 2.3 years) received either 300 mg Ubiquinol or placebo for 6 weeks. Athletes had to perform a maximum power output test and the performance in W/kg of bodyweight was measured at the 4 mmol lactate threshold on a cycling ergometer before the supplementation treatment (T1), after 3 weeks (T2) and after 6 weeks (T3) of treatment. In these 6 weeks all athletes trained individually in preparation for the Olympic Games in London 2012. The maximum power output was measured in Watt/kilogram body weight (W/kg bw)

Results

Both groups, placebo and Ubiquinol, significantly increased their physical performance measured as maximum power output over the treatment period from T1 to T3. The placebo group increased from 3.64 +/- 0.49 W/kg bw to 3.94 +/- 0.47 W/kg bw which is an increase of +0.30 +/- 0.18 W/kg bw or +8.5% (+/-5.7). The Ubiquinol group increased performance levels from 3.70 W/kg bw (+/-0.56) to 4.08 W/kg bw (+/-0.48) from time point T1 to T3 which is an increase of +0.38 +/- 0.22 W/kg bw or +11.0% (+/-8.2). The absolute difference in the enhancement of the physical performance between the placebo and the Ubiquinol group of +0.08 W/kg bodyweight was significant (p < 0.03).

Conclusions

This study demonstrates that daily supplementation of 300 mg Ubiquinol for 6 weeks significantly enhanced physical performance measured as maximum power output by +0.08 W/kg bw (+2.5%) versus placebo in young healthy trained German Olympic athletes. While adherence to a training regimen itself resulted in an improvement in peak power output, as observed by improvement in placebo, the effect of Ubiquinol supplementation significantly enhanced peak power production in comparison to placebo.

JISSN | Abstract | Ubiquinol supplementation enhances peak power production in trained athletes: a double-blind, placebo controlled study

Full PDF study here:
http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-24.pdf

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
This is an interesting article.

I've researched a few studies that share similar results, but with CoQ10. Both Ubiquinol and CoQ10 aid in oxygenation of the heart. Some of the studies reported an indirect increase in VO2 max, as well.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11% increase... impressive. Good find bud. 300mg a day is a financially feasible dose too.

Who is going to conduct their own N=1 trial of this?

I would just add that ubiquinol needs some time to build up in the tissue so if you give this a try make sure you are taking this for at least the study length (6 weeks)

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11% increase... impressive. Good find bud. 300mg a day is a financially feasible dose too.

Who is going to conduct their own N=1 trial of this?

I would just add that ubiquinol needs some time to build up in the tissue so if you give this a try make sure you are taking this for at least the study length (6 weeks)

Yeah this definitely isnt for someone who wants overnight results. Im considering trying this, and the researchers did state effects may be more profitable for older athletes. Being that Im 36 is a plus in a way (average age in study was 19.2.)

I was reading on SuppVersity that w/ 140ml-280 of beet juice would be an excellent stack. Id assume a nitrate based supplement would be convenient. Stacking both will also help out for those in need for instant enchancment.
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/05/300mg-coq10-boost-peak-power-increases.html

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would just opt for a product containing nitrates as that would be more cost effective then downing the juice.

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
What type of tissue are you referring to?

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
Awesome! Thanks.

I assume CoQ10/Ubiquinol supplementation aids in more Aerobic-type training, as opposed to Anaerobic training or ATP?

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome! Thanks.

I assume CoQ10/Ubiquinol supplementation aids in more Aerobic-type training, as opposed to Anaerobic training or ATP?
The full study showed here showed that 300mg Ubiquinol (lets be clear, not CoQ10) significantly enhanced maximum power output using this testing method ----> "Physical performance is usually measured by a gradual, continuous or intermittent shaped rising stress test during spirometry determined on a bicycle or treadmill"

In my own opinion, I think it can benefit both but more so aerobic and especially HIIT.

This is the full PDF to the entire study, its worth a quick read.
http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-24.pdf

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Mechanistically, CoQ10 should really only have an effect on aerobic training since it is a transport molecule in the oxidative chain. Interestingly, 300mq ubiquinol would double the entire body pool of CoQ10 is just 1 week (in a perfect world), yet the effects are not terribly profound.