RDA of EAA & Protein?

matthewjgale

Awards
I am having difficulties determining what makes up the RDA for protein when determining the amount of protein vs EAA that are required. The research out there seems somewhat limited and there are several conflicting sources.

For the basics: I understand that the average RDA for protein is .8g of protein per kg of body weight. With my weight being 100kg I need approximately 80g of protein a day.

What I don’t understand is what is supposed to make up that protein? Protein is made of amino acids and we have only 9 essential amino acids and then nonessential.

The research on this subject seems extremely limited and conflicting. According to the World Health Organization, these are the recommended RDA’s for EAA’s (with my weight being 100kg).

Histidine10mg/kg1000mg
Isoleucine20mg/kg2000mg
Leucine39mg/kg3900mg
Lysine30mg/kg3000mg
Methionine15mg/kg1500mg
Phenylalaline25mg/kg2500mg
Threonine15mg/kg1500mg
Tryptophan4mg/kg400mg
Valine26mg/kg2600mg
Total18400mg
18.4g

If these numbers are correct what is supposed to make up the other 61.6g of protein that is supposed to be taken a day? Your body makes its own nonessential amino acids, so you don’t have to get them from food. If you are taking the daily dose of amino acid’s shouldn’t that be sufficient?

Are all proteins not created equally? How am I supposed to calculate how much protein and how much of each amino I should be taking?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
for one thing, the WHO RDA is meant to be the minimum to keep you alive. That's not optimal, that minimum. If you do exercise or do sports, your needs are a good bit higher. A number of studies have found the .6g per pound range to be the minimum for people doing strength and/or sport training to not lose muscle tissue. You can ignore the specifics of ratios of those so long as your protein comes from a variety of sources as the differences in ratios between different proteins will help cover it.

matthewjgale

Awards
Thanks for the response.

I realize that if I were to get the full amount of protein from various sources that the ratio's would balance out. I have a unique circumstance and am trying to understand the science behind it. Why are there so many other various forms of protein that are "necessary" but aren't considered essential?

In another way of thinking - imagine your only source of protein was from individual amino acids - in that case how would one determine how much of each amino acid would be required? Is it absolutely necessary to take nonessential amino's in order to get the full amount of protein each day? Does that actually have a benefit over just taking the essential amino acids? In the case where it is necessary to take nonessential aminos in order to get the amount right, what non essential aminos would be best?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
For starters, you are by an enormous margin overthinking this. I'm not sure what your particular unique circumstances are, but you are really trying to get far too technical about something not that technical. If you only got your protein from individual amino acids, you'd still want the total to be in that 100g range minimally that I mentioned above. The precise ratios aren't hugely important either. Its definitely not necessary to take in the non essential aminos, but taking in the non essentials reduces the amount of essentials you might need to make a normal daily total. The other issue you run into related to this though is oxidation. When you talk about separate free form amino acids, they have very fast absorption into the blood stream, but also have very high odixation rates. So getting your 33g of proteins from amino acids 3x a day is nowhere near the same as getting that same protein from 3 pieces of fish/chicken/beef/pork from the way your body actually uses it.

Chrisnova92

Chrisnova92

Awards
For starters, you are by an enormous margin overthinking this. I'm not sure what your particular unique circumstances are, but you are really trying to get far too technical about something not that technical. If you only got your protein from individual amino acids, you'd still want the total to be in that 100g range minimally that I mentioned above. The precise ratios aren't hugely important either. Its definitely not necessary to take in the non essential aminos, but taking in the non essentials reduces the amount of essentials you might need to make a normal daily total. The other issue you run into related to this though is oxidation. When you talk about separate free form amino acids, they have very fast absorption into the blood stream, but also have very high odixation rates. So getting your 33g of proteins from amino acids 3x a day is nowhere near the same as getting that same protein from 3 pieces of fish/chicken/beef/pork from the way your body actually uses it.
Give this man a medal. That is some straight up great info, said well.