MultiVitamin Absorbtion Rate

S

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know that there has been a lot of debate/controversy surrounding the use of multivitamins, more specifically whether or not they are even necessary. My understanding is that the absorption rates on multi's are quite low. I myself have been using Orange Triad for years and have recently switched over to Iforce Athletic Multi, which I'm almost out of. In taking Orange Triad, I notice the typical bright yellow stream, which indicates to me that absorption is poor. I'm debating whether or not to include a multivitamin in my next order. So I'm asking people in the know. Are they in fact poorly absorbed, and if so, does that negate their use? Maybe someone like Coop can chime in.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed for learnins...

Most people are going to tell you no on the multi front, but I'm interested in this none the less.

- Valdez

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
NO HYPE:

USP standards have little to do with what selection of excipients are included [or what percentage are included] within the tablet formulation, and the excipients are an important factor in what percentage of the active ingredients will be available for physiological uptake. Excpient examples; fillers, binders, dilluents, disintegrants, glidants, lubricants.

When excipients are included in a tablet formulation for the purpose of direct compression, they.... [should].... meet certain direct compression guidelines [of which, there are no set standards]. They should have high flowabillity, high compressability [but should not be excessively compacted], and they should be compatible with all active ingredients.

With tablets, inert binders are included so that the tablets can be held together as one structure, and they provide the overall integrity of the tablet. Commonly included binders, such as a pregelatinised starches, actually tend to resist fluid penetration into the tablet and allow for incomplete disintegration, thereby affecting overall bioavailability.

The percentage of inert fillers included within a formulation will determine the amount of active ingredients actually available, and excessive amounts of fillers, result in smaller amounts of active ingredients than what is indicated on the label.

Included below, is a study from 2006 that compared the disintegration rates of tablets and capsules. Vitamin/mineral compounds were tested via the Simulated Intestinal Fluid (SIF) test in a pH environment of 6.8 for 20-minutes.

21 out of 39 tablets failed to disintegrate vs. 4 out of 10 capsules failed to disintegrate.

These results were followed by a second test, which was completed in accordance with USP disintegration guidelines for dietary supplements. Out of the 21 tablets that previously failed.... 9 tablets again failed to disintegrate, whereasall remaining capsules completely disintegrated.

So when it comes to tablets.... Does anyone anyone aside from the manufacturer, know what the active ingredient to excipient ratios are?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=16849007

Chromaffin:

Let's keep in mind that while bioavailability is a function of vitamin forms, it is also a function of drug delivery. Tablets are greatly inferior to capsules from a pharmacokinetic standpoint, and excipient blends and degree of compaction are often viewed as key dictators of dissolution and ultimately availability for absorption. This reason, among others, is why AOR Orthocore is the best multivitamin presently available, though the concept of multivitamin and especially multimineral supplements is flawed to begin with.

S

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Coop, appreciate the detailed response as always.

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Anyway to increase the absorption rate of tablets? I'm currently taking anavite. After reading what you said I guess ill switch over to orthocore. I like anavite because it has a good amount of LCLT and beta alanine. I could always buy it separately I suppose and dose it more frequently which would be better of course just more expensive. Orthocore its self has a 50 dollar price tag:(

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Anyway to increase the absorption rate of tablets? I'm currently taking anavite. After reading what you said I guess ill switch over to orthocore. I like anavite because it has a good amount of LCLT and beta alanine. I could always buy it separately I suppose and dose it more frequently which would be better of course just more expensive. Orthocore its self has a 50 dollar price tag:(
Not all tableted mutlvitamins have poor pharmacokinetics. It is dependent on the aforementioned factors. I work in a pharmaceutical lab and there are several dissocation/GI-mimetic tests that can be run. You could ask Gaspari for documentation on such results.As for your question, taking tablets on an empty stomach and agents that reduce gastric motility (i.e. sympathomimetics) should help increase bioavailability.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not all tableted mutlvitamins have poor pharmacokinetics. It is dependent on the aforementioned factors. I work in a pharmaceutical lab and there are several dissocation/GI-mimetic tests that can be run. You could ask Gaspari for documentation on such results.As for your question, taking tablets on an empty stomach and agents that reduce gastric motility (i.e. sympathomimetics) should help increase bioavailability.
Damn! And I bought CL OT cuz I remember you saying that it was in the top 5...

- Valdez

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
But based on the information provided above, the absorption rate would still be poor correct?
No, the information provided above is limiting factors for tablet absorption. There are plenty of tablets out there with 100% bioavailability. Degree of compaction, excipient blends, and other factors will determine timely dissociation in the GI lumen. Would a generic capped multi have improved kinetics over Orange Triad? Most likely. But then, Orange Triad provides heavy doses of many vitamins and minerals, foreseeably to compensate for any drop-off in absorption.

T

tsugsr

Awards
What about powder form multi-vitamin and mineral supplements?

I used a bogo at vitamin shoppe And picked up two of their brand powder, slightly less yellow so I'd assume better absorption, am I correct?

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Yellow piss has essentially nothing to do with absorption and is attributable to a single vitamin taken in excess.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the yellow is from riboflavin (B2) iirc. Your body can only use so much of a water soluble vitamin at a time...so space out the doses or just spend your money on food instead for the price of OT you could get a ****load of fruits and vegetables

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Very nice thread. I think once you get into comparing quality multivitamins I wonder more about competitive absorption. For example a blend with antioxidant RALA and Biotin, or Zinc and Calcium, or what ever else you want to use.

In short, is taking multivitamins/minerals optimal for balanced nutrition and health? Or more of a convience? I believe Chromaffin was touching on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

G

glenneaves

Awards
Look for multivitamins that avoid artificial preservatives, dyes, sweeteners or other contaminants. The fatty acid formula (derived from marine lipids) should be tested for mercury and lead.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
NO HYPE: This reason, among others, is why AOR Orthocore is the best multivitamin presently available, though the concept of multivitamin and especially multimineral supplements is flawed to begin with.
This might be the biggest take away point from this thread.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find good research that shows an advantage to taking an excess of most vitamins and/or minerals. Vitamin C is a staple of endurance runners, but little do they realize that excess vitamin C actually reduces mitochondria biogenesis...which means reduced aerobic performance.

The use of anti-oxidants with regards to performance and hypertrophy is also flawed, and the research really doesn't support a use for an excess amount of exogenous anti-oxidants. In fact, oxidation (local, and within normal levels) is necessary for hypertrophy signalling.

Do athletes or those engaged in intense training need additional vitamins and minerals, yes, especially b-vitamins. Can you easily get them in a good diet (save for pre-contest diets) - yes.

Br

A

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
How about the absorption of multi's that are "all natural" "whole foods" like Alive, they must be better, right?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No, being all-natural does not overcome kinetic barriers.
The argument made by some "whole food" multi manufacturers is that they are gentle on the stomach and better absorbed. Maybe the small amount of enzymes and probiotics is the reason they claim gentler. I never understood the better absorption unless if cofactors increased it. Only thing I can thing of to get across what I mean is black pepper extract increasing absorption of turmeric.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The argument made by some "whole food" multi manufacturers is that they are gentle on the stomach and better absorbed. Maybe the small amount of enzymes and probiotics is the reason they claim gentler. I never understood the better absorption unless if cofactors increased it. Only thing I can thing of to get across what I mean is black pepper extract increasing absorption of turmeric.

There are quite a few studies in that regard. Citrus bioflavanoids can increase absorption of vitamin C, which concurrently improves absorption of, say, iron. In the end, the differences in availability are moot, since dosage compensation occurs in sports multivitamins anyway.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Multi vitamin...

- Valdez