Taurine as a replacement for TUDCA

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Choleretic effects of taurine on experimentally-induced intrahepatic cholestasis

When a lymphokine, the cholestatic factor, is intravenously injected into rats through a mesenteric vein, remarkable reductions in bile flow and bile acid excretion are observed. However when taurine was injected with the cholestatic factor, the reduction in bile flow and bile acid excretion were significantly suppressed. Moreover, injection of taurine with cholestatic factor resulted in the decreases of both bile acid-dependent bile flow and vesicular transport but not bile acid-independent bile flow. Not significant choleretic effects were noted when taurine alone was administered to normal rats.

PMID: 1593775

Dietary amino acid taurine ameliorates liver injury in chronic hepatitis patients.

The effect of dietary amino acid taurine on the liver function of chronic hepatitis patients was investigated. The 24 chronic hepatitis patients with 2-5 times over normal activities of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) or aspartate aminotransferase (AST) were selected and equally divided into taurine treatment and control groups. In taurine treatment group, each patient took 2 g taurine 3 times a day for three months, and then stopped treatment for 1 month. Patients taking placebo without taurine for 4 months served as a control group. ALT and AST activities and levels of cholesterol, triglyceride and thiobarbituric acid relative substances of serum plasma in the taurine group were all decreased at the end of three month treatment. The study suggested that dietary amino acid taurine may ameliorate liver injury for chronic hepatitis patients.

PMID: 17690950

Experimental evidence for therapeutic potential of taurine in the treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.

Abstract
The incidence of obesity is now at epidemic proportions and has resulted in the emergence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) as a common metabolic disorder that can lead to liver injury and cirrhosis. Excess sucrose and long-chain saturated fatty acids in the diet may play a role in the development and progression of NAFLD. One factor linking sucrose and saturated fatty acids to liver damage is dysfunction of the endoplasmic reticulum (ER). Although there is currently no proven, effective therapy for NAFLD, the amino sulfonic acid taurine is protective against various metabolic disturbances, including alcohol-induced liver damage. The present study was undertaken to evaluate the therapeutic potential of taurine to serve as a preventative treatment for diet-induced NAFLD. We report that taurine significantly mitigated palmitate-mediated caspase-3 activity, cell death, ER stress, and oxidative stress in H4IIE liver cells and primary hepatocytes. In rats fed a high-sucrose diet, dietary taurine supplementation significantly reduced hepatic lipid accumulation, liver injury, inflammation, plasma triglycerides, and insulin levels. The high-sucrose diet resulted in an induction of multiple components of the unfolded protein response in the liver consistent with ER stress, which was ameliorated by taurine supplementation. Treatment of mice with the ER stress-inducing agent tunicamycin resulted in liver injury, unfolded protein response induction, and hepatic lipid accumulation that was significantly ameliorated by dietary supplementation with taurine. Our results indicate that dietary supplementation with taurine offers significant potential as a preventative treatment for NAFLD.

PMID 21957160

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Surprised this didnt get more attention especially considering the HUGE price difference and availability between the two

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wouldn't the chronic v acute states change the equation, though?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Surprised this didnt get more attention especially considering the HUGE price difference and availability between the two
maybe that is why it didn't get much attention. there is no money to be made in cheap and available.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Remember reading this a while back:
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4563760.stm

Tuffguy80

Tuffguy80

Awards
Has anyone had bloods taken when on Taurine and seen what it does for liver values?

That would be awesome if it does work...

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone had bloods taken when on Taurine and seen what it does for liver values?

That would be awesome if it does work...
Lots of people use it for back pumps while on orals so I'm sure there's blood work somewhere out there.

Tuffguy80

Tuffguy80

Awards
Lots of people use it for back pumps while on orals so I'm sure there's blood work somewhere out there.
That's why I ordered it too. Then I saw this post and thought. Wow awesome... Right now it cost me a small fortune to run a cycle. I always have to push the envelope on doses to get most out of cycle which ends up being double the order for just one cycle lol.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
was there any quantification or comparison to tudca in the full texts? just amelioration of symptoms doesnt make taurine as effective as tudca, we need data to support that.

Tuffguy80

Tuffguy80

Awards
was there any quantification or comparison to tudca in the full texts? just amelioration of symptoms doesnt make taurine as effective as tudca, we need data to support that.
I agree... Ill do some searches as well and see if I can't find any more supporting evidence. If I find anything ill post...

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Physiologically, taurine will be much less effective for cholestasis than tudca since cholestasis is typically an excretory, not conjugation, issue