Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i think the benefits really exist in the added effects of NaCHO3 itself, not what it does to creatine... What creatine monohydrate might honestly be the best route for most everyone...for the few that have exactly the wrong ph have problems with absorption and the worst ph environment possible, this will help there significantly....

For the rest of us is just the 1% + it's own intrinsic effects

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Am.com
    iForceHemavol=He-man?-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/187487-hemavol-heman-doughs.htmlCompound 20 Beta log-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/185396-molding-dough-compound.html

2. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    i think the benefits really exist in the added effects of NaCHO3 itself, not what it does to creatine... What creatine monohydrate might honestly be the best route for most everyone...for the few that have exactly the wrong ph have problems with absorption and the worst ph environment possible, this will help there significantly....

For the rest of us is just the 1% + it's own intrinsic effects

I'm looking at the full text of the study JudoJosh linked to and I don't think pH is the mechanism through which HCO3(-) ellicits ergogenic benefit. There was no significant difference in serum pH either before or after training when HCO3 at 0.3g/kg was compared to placebo. It appears to be Base Excess that is significantly altered, increasing the blood's acid buffering capacity. Serum pH is very tightly regulated, so this makes sense to me.

Edit: I stand corrected, pH may play a role after all. This has not been to press yet, so I don't have access to the full text yet, but the abstract is interesting.

Eur J Appl Physiol. 2012 Sep 4. [Epub ahead of print]
    Sodium bicarbonate supplementation improves hypertrophy-type resistance exercise performance.

Carr BM, Webster MJ, Boyd JC, Hudson GM, Scheett TP.
    Source

School of Human Performance and Recreation, University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS, USA, bcarr@belhaven.edu.

Abstract

The aim of the present study was to examine the effects of sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO(3)) administration on lower-body, hypertrophy-type resistance exercise (HRE). Using a double-blind randomized counterbalanced design, 12 resistance-trained male participants (mean SD; age = 20.3 2 years, mass = 88.3 13.2 kg, height = 1.80 0.07 m) ingested 0.3 g kg(-1) of NaHCO(3) or placebo 60 min before initiation of an HRE regimen. The protocol employed multiple exercises: squat, leg press, and knee extension, utilizing four sets each, with 10-12 repetition-maximum loads and short rest periods between sets. Exercise performance was determined by total repetitions generated during each exercise, total accumulated repetitions, and a performance test involving a fifth set of knee extensions to failure. Arterialized capillary blood was collected via fingertip puncture at four time points and analyzed for pH, [HCO(3) (-)], base excess (BE), and lactate [Lac(-)]. NaHCO(3) supplementation induced a significant alkaline state (pH: NaHCO(3): 7.49 0.02, placebo: 7.42 0.02, P < 0.05; [HCO(3) (-)]: NaHCO(3): 31.50 2.59, placebo: 25.38 1.78 mEq L(-1), P < 0.05; BE: NaHCO(3): 7.92 2.57, placebo: 1.08 2.11 mEq L(-1), P < 0.05). NaHCO(3) administration resulted in significantly more total repetitions than placebo (NaHCO(3): 139.8 13.2, placebo: 134.4 13.5), as well as significantly greater blood [Lac(-)] after the exercise protocol (NaHCO(3): 17.92 2.08, placebo: 15.55 2.50 mM, P < 0.05). These findings demonstrate ergogenic efficacy for NaHCO(3) during HRE and warrant further investigation into chronic training applications.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.65%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve

I'm looking at the full text of the study JudoJosh linked to and I don't think pH is the mechanism through which HCO3(-) ellicits ergogenic benefit. There was no significant difference in serum pH either before or after training when HCO3 at 0.3g/kg was compared to placebo. It appears to be Base Excess that is significantly altered, increasing the blood's acid buffering capacity. Serum pH is very tightly regulated, so this makes sense to me.

Edit: I stand corrected, pH may play a role after all. This has not been to press yet, so I don't have access to the full text yet, but the abstract is interesting.

Eur J Appl Physiol. 2012 Sep 4. [Epub ahead of print]
    Sodium bicarbonate supplementation improves hypertrophy-type resistance exercise performance.

Carr BM, Webster MJ, Boyd JC, Hudson GM, Scheett TP.
    Source

School of Human Performance and Recreation, University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS, USA, bcarr@belhaven.edu.

Abstract

The aim of the present study was to examine the effects of sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO(3)) administration on lower-body, hypertrophy-type resistance exercise (HRE). Using a double-blind randomized counterbalanced design, 12 resistance-trained male participants (mean SD; age = 20.3 2 years, mass = 88.3 13.2 kg, height = 1.80 0.07 m) ingested 0.3 g kg(-1) of NaHCO(3) or placebo 60 min before initiation of an HRE regimen. The protocol employed multiple exercises: squat, leg press, and knee extension, utilizing four sets each, with 10-12 repetition-maximum loads and short rest periods between sets. Exercise performance was determined by total repetitions generated during each exercise, total accumulated repetitions, and a performance test involving a fifth set of knee extensions to failure. Arterialized capillary blood was collected via fingertip puncture at four time points and analyzed for pH, [HCO(3) (-)], base excess (BE), and lactate [Lac(-)]. NaHCO(3) supplementation induced a significant alkaline state (pH: NaHCO(3): 7.49 0.02, placebo: 7.42 0.02, P < 0.05; [HCO(3) (-)]: NaHCO(3): 31.50 2.59, placebo: 25.38 1.78 mEq L(-1), P < 0.05; BE: NaHCO(3): 7.92 2.57, placebo: 1.08 2.11 mEq L(-1), P < 0.05). NaHCO(3) administration resulted in significantly more total repetitions than placebo (NaHCO(3): 139.8 13.2, placebo: 134.4 13.5), as well as significantly greater blood [Lac(-)] after the exercise protocol (NaHCO(3): 17.92 2.08, placebo: 15.55 2.50 mM, P < 0.05). These findings demonstrate ergogenic efficacy for NaHCO(3) during HRE and warrant further investigation into chronic training applications.
    ...No the ph i was referring to was in regards to the stomach environment. (http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2011/...netics-of.html)

Although buffering the build up of hydrogen ions and ph environment in the muscle is def an effect of NaHCO3.

iForceHemavol=He-man?-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/187487-hemavol-heman-doughs.htmlCompound 20 Beta log-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/185396-molding-dough-compound.html
    •   

4. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.38%

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    ...No the ph i was referring to was in regards to the stomach environment. (http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2011/...netics-of.html)

Although buffering the build up of hydrogen ions and ph environment in the muscle is def an effect of NaHCO3.

Interesting. Seems a lot more feasible to just take creatine on an empty stomach, but I suppose if you eat a big meal right before lifting or something, this could be of benefit. I don't trust figure 2 at all though.

***NOW @ NP***
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.53%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Random question, I figured I'd post it here b/c it's regarding creatine..Have you guys noticed a difference taking creapure w/ carbs vs w/o? Less wasting?
  6. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.38%

Quote Originally Posted by mcc23 View Post
    Random question, I figured I'd post it here b/c it's regarding creatine..Have you guys noticed a difference taking creapure w/ carbs vs w/o? Less wasting?
    If you read the article Sourdough posted above, it suggests taking creatine on an empty stomach is best.

***NOW @ NP***
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.65%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve

If you read the article Sourdough posted above, it suggests taking creatine on an empty stomach is best.
    Exactly. Taking it with food and carbs will slow down its uptake from the gut and intestines into circulation... funny thing is, eating actually helps uptake from circulation in the blood stream into the muscles. So a fasted dose pre workout will get it into circulation then your post workout meal should help its uptake into the muscles, especially in that super insulin sensitive environment.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Baking soda "trick" for endurance?
    By PIOTREK in forum Supplements
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 12:55 PM
  2. Creatine with Gatorade?
    By raytrade in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 12:56 AM
  3. Why Is It Bad To Mix Creatine With...?
    By BIGNBUFF in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-24-2003, 03:51 PM