Olive leaf extract

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oleuropein supplementation increases urinary noradrenaline and testicular testosterone levels and decreases plasma corticosterone level in rats fed high-protein diet.

Abstract

The effects of oleuropein, a phenolic compound in extra virgin olive oil, on protein metabolism were investigated by measuring testicular testosterone and plasma corticosterone levels in rats fed diets with different protein levels. In Experiment 1, rats were fed experimental diets with different protein levels (40, 25 and 10 g/100 g casein) with or without 0.1 g/100 g oleuropein. After 28 days of feeding, the testosterone level in the testis was significantly higher and the plasma corticosterone level was significantly lower in rats fed the 40% casein diet with oleuropein than in those fed the same diet without oleuropein. The urinary noradrenaline level, nitrogen balance and hepatic arginase activity were significantly higher in rats fed the 40% casein diet with oleuropein supplementation than in those fed the 40% casein diet without oleuropein supplementation. In Experiment 2, the effects of oleuropein aglycone (a major phenolic compound in extra virgin olive oil and the absorbed form of oleuropein ingested in the gastrointestinal tracts) on the secretion of luteinizing hormone (LH) from the pituitary gland, which regulates testosterone production in the testis, were investigated in anesthetized rats. Plasma LH level increased dose dependently after the administration of oleuropein aglycone (P<.001, r=0.691). These findings suggest that dietary supplementation with 0.1 g/100 g oleuropein alters the levels of hormones associated with protein anabolism by increasing urinary noradrenaline and testicular testosterone levels and decreasing plasma corticosterone level in rats fed a high-protein diet

PMID: 22901687

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
"Finally they found rats in the 40% oleuropein also had significantly higher testicular testosterone levels. In fact they were so high, they were beyond their detection limits. It also decreased corticosterone levels in a statistically significant manner. "

Interesting....

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Olive Leaf extract is on my list to start purchasing in September. The benefits are many and significant.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I experimented with olive leaf extract for approximately 3 months and did not notice any effects. It is also supposed to be a potent anti-bacterial/anti-viral agent. My girlfriend only takes if she feels a cold coming on and it usually knocks it right out (according to her).

rehj

rehj

Awards
In for more discussion on this. Olive leaf extract is quickly becoming very intriguing.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been considering planting some olive trees :)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do we know the amount of phenol in a tbsp of EVOO?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I've been researching this a lot lately. The health benefits alone are amazing.

Synthesis

Synthesis

Awards
I have a dmso olive leaf topical spray that I have been using for various things, intilaly to unsuccessfully slow down balding but now its become an amazing anti bacterial,anti-viral spray/topical. My girlfriend has used it to swiftly recover from 2 viruses, it cleared a painful ear infection she had in one day. I also used it recently to treat ringworm, stopped it early in its tracks much more effective than the otc pharmaceutical creams. A truly versatile compound

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
http://www.scipharm.at/download.asp?id=629

Been a fan of Olive leaf for awhile this is an interesting article.
first part just talks about the chemical make up and plants but toward the end gets into some testing and various believed benefits.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
There is reason to believe that some of the fat burning effects of Olive Leaf Extract that are observed in rats will not be present in humans due to differences in BAT

broons

Awards
  • Established
Years ago I use to take a high quality olive leaf extract for an extensive period because of its alleged immune effects. Can't say I ever noticed any of the effects being discussed here. Stuff tastes absolutely terrible though.

alexy89

Awards
Olive leaf does not actually work directly on immunity, rather it's high anti-oxidant content makes it good for any type of oxidative damage and therefore strengthens the immune system indirectly