Rotten to the CORE: The ABC's of Getting Swell

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Rotten to the CORE: The ABC's of Getting Swell

NIMBUS NUTRITION - SWELL

Name:  medium_medium.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  28.0 KB

Core Nutrition's - Core ABC

default_medium.psd

Log Breakdown:

I have been chosen to log both Swell and Core ABC. In order to give each product an objective and exclusive review, I began dosing the Core ABC a week ago, and the Swell just today. As certain objectives of the product are the same, I will judge each by their mutual exclusive traits.

Dosing:

Swell

Workout Days:

1 serving 30 minutes prior to breakfast, 1 serving prior to training.

Non-Workout Days:

1 serving 30 minutes prior to breakfast, 1 serving prior to third meal.

Core ABC

Workout Days:

1 serving intra-workout, 1 serving immediately Post-Workout

Non-Workout Days:

1 serving 30 minutes prior to breakfast, 1 serving prior to third meal.

I chose this dosing schema to maximize the large BCAA content of ABC to aid in mostly endurance and recovery, while dosing the Swell Pre-WO to optimize hydration and performance; in this way, I feel I can also separate their effects even further.

Training:

I do a three-day split, working out on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays. I structure my workouts around compound movements, periodization, and slow and controlled reps. I do not have set exercises aside from a main compound on each day (Dead, Clean, Squat, Bench, etc.,), and will give my feelings on the product in other manners. Speaking of, this is how I will breakdown the efficacy of each product:

Swell:

-hydration

-energy (all day, and intra-workout)

-recovery

Core ABC:

-intra and -post workout recovery

-strength

-endurance

I will also give my subjective feelings for all the products as a whole.

Diet:

Workout Days:

Chest/Triceps: 3600kcal
    Back/Biceps: 3750kcal
    Legs/Shoulders: 3850kcal

Each macronutrient is used moderately and deliberately in my diet. For example, most of my saturated fat content is in my first two meals, to optimize hormone production. While simple (r) carbohydrates are kept near and -intra workout to maximize Insulin, and so on.

I have been on Core ABC's product for one week now, and will do weekly updates in the next two posts, one for each product.

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Sounds like a nice stack

look forward to the log
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  3. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Core ABC - Week One Review:

Intra- and Post-Workout Recovery:

The effects are most ostensible in this category, and definitely the quickest to take effect. I noticed around the third or fourth day of dosing that my intra-workout recovery had been minimalized. I was recovering about a minute faster, very impressed here.

Strength:

Nothing to really note here, as one would expect.

Endurance:

This, IMO, is where BCAA/EAA products shine, especially in terms of aerobic activity. I can feel the Beta and Citrulline doing their thing as well; the 'burn' is much less distracting and painful, and is replaced by a nice stretched feeling. The end of sets are slightly less laborious as well, and my later-workout endurance is improved.

In terms of cardiovascular training, the effects, as I said, are very quickly noted. The lactic acid buffering allows me to push my HIIT slightly harder than normal, which I appreciate.

I'll add the taste is not completely my bag. I'm much more of a grape guy; however, I gave some to a friend who loved it!

Core ABC - Week Two Review:

Intra- and Post-Workout Recovery:

In my opinion, this is the most cumulative, and most prominent element of Core. The inter set recovery is phenomenal, and inter day recovery is almost identical. Recovery is an underrated aspect of Beta Alanine, and the effects in this respect are most definitely perceptible.

Strength:

Once again, nothing out of the ordinary here. No more strength increases than I would normally expect to see.

Endurance:
    Fantastic! My cross-fit training has had a distinct response from Core. Less burn, and more of a ceiling to push. I can feel my VO2 max increasing, and both products are helping me to alleviate the oxidative stress in this respect.

Core ABC - Week Three Review

Strength

The addition here is very cumulative, and obviously not peak-point increases. I feel in order to appreciate BCAA products, you need to be somewhat 'dialed-in' with your training. For example, when tallying up my weight x volume over the course of the three weeks, I have made very consistent gains in reps, which are above the average of what I would normally produce. Now, I've had no other alterations in training or diet, and while subtle, the gain is there.

Endurance

Phenomenal. The endurance increase is both direct and secondary. In a direct sense, I simply have increased intracellular stamina, and secondary with the lactic acid buffering pushing my cross-fit cardio further. This would be a great product, IMO, for those who train high-volume, or other types of anaerobic activity. Feels like a very prominent effect on my VO2 max.

Recovery

I haven't noticed much more of an intra-workout recovery effect aside from what I initially noted; however, inter-workouts has been increased as well. I usually suffer from fairly prominent DOMS, occurring the day after the gym and lasting at times 3-4 days. This has lessened to two days, which I am very happy with.
    •   

4. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Swell Week One Review

Hydration:

Absolutely phenomenal. Proper intracellular hydration is oft-too overlooked in the BB'ing environment. I can feel the effects here in terms of overall athletic response.

Energy (all day, and intra-workout):

Stable, and obviously not stimulant induced. Just a healthy focus due to the increased hydration, which adds to a proper diet.

Swell - Week Two Review

Hydration

Once again, I think this is the most valuable aspect of the product. I am an avid golfer, and I have been able to squeak by an entire round with approximately 20oz of water. While that is more of a cosmetic evaluation, I think a more objective evaluation is muscular tightness while doing cardiovascular training. I have always been one to promote proper hydration to prevent injury, and Swell has really assisted me in this respect.

Energy

Once again, cannot say I have noticed much more, just a little bit more 'gas'. I realize that is quite subjective, but the stability of non-stimulant energy is there.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I couldn't find it on the nutra site for Swell, but do you have any idea how much BA is in it (or maybe someone on the log would know?) Since both products contain it do you notice any effects of going over the normal amount (I usually don't go over 4-5 grams a day.) I'm assuming this is above your normal intake but figured I would see if you noticed it.

Also have you ever had a Leucine intake as high as this?

Curious to see how the log runs for ya.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.98%

Subbed - would love to run this stack. Nice log set up by the way
  7. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    I couldn't find it on the nutra site for Swell, but do you have any idea how much BA is in it (or maybe someone on the log would know?) Since both products contain it do you notice any effects of going over the normal amount (I usually don't go over 4-5 grams a day.) I'm assuming this is above your normal intake but figured I would see if you noticed it.

No, I have never run either Beta or Leucine as high as this, so I'm really excited to see the effects on endurance especially.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I'll add the taste is not completely my bag. I'm much more of a grape guy; however, I gave some to a friend who loved it!
    No wonder it took me so long to find your log, you were giving it a week before reporting in. Subbed

btw, Core sent me the grape one.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  9. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    No wonder it took me so long to find your log, you were giving it a week before reporting in. Subbed

btw, Core sent me the grape one.
    You son of an anal-whore.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%

Ahhahahaha, I told them I'd take whichever one you didn't want. And for the sake of choosing I'd pick grape since it was the older flavor.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.15%

Mullet doing a log....how cute. Sub'd.
  12. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Quote Originally Posted by Dancebot 2000 View Post
    Mullet doing a log....how cute. Sub'd.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AGiq9j_Ak&feature=re lated"]YouTube - Be Like Mike Gatorade Commercial (ORIGINAL)[/ame]
  13. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

lol

sub'd bruv
  14. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.15%

Hahahaha!!!!!
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%

That music reminds me of something...

WHITE WHALE!
  16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.49%

Almost missed this one. Good luck with this mullet!

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

17. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Update:

Training: Legs

Deep Wide Stance Squats: 3 sets/ 8 reps/ RP on 5-8/ 3:2 ratio

Explosive Front Squats: 2 sets/ 5 reps/ 1:1 ratio

SLDL: 3 sets/ 12 reps (8 on the last)/ RP on 8-12/ 3:2 ratio

Close Foot Leg Press: 3 sets/ 20 reps/ 3:1 ratio

Legend:

RP = Rest Pause
    3:2 = Eccentric: Concentric Motion

Overall Feelings:

Absolutely fantastic endurance received from both products, and the combination of Beta-Alanine and Citrulline Malate from both products essentially negates any inhibiting burn. I wanted to do a dynamic/explosive/high rep day, to test out the endurance of both, and I was phenomenally impressed. I raised my speed Front Squats 10lbs today to 225lbs total. That doesn't seem like much, but doing these reps with utter control and speed is difficult with light weight. I control them, stay stiff in the hole, and exhale as I explode out, with a nice lockout at the top.

Swell:

Hydration:

Fantastic. As I said, I attempted to push myself today towards my VO2 max to test out the capabilities of each product here; normally, I have extreme dry mouth and lightheadedness after this particular workout, no such occurrence today.

Energy (all day, and intra-workout):

Very, very subtle energy from this product; there is no stimulation, but a general athletic energy, a refreshed feeling. Very nice.

Recovery:

This is a bit of misnomer, as recovery implies I was fatigued in the first place; while the weights were properly heavy, I simply felt like I should load more. I kept them within safe range, however.

Core ABC:

Intra and Post Workout recovery:

This is the only category, in my opinion, that is necessarily difficult to separate the effects of Swell and ABC. I would just reiterate what I said above in terms of recovery (or a need lack thereof).

Strength/Endurance:

I combined these, as I think they are somewhat intrinsic when it comes to BCCAs. Lactic acid buffering and optimal energy usage means an increased ability to complete latter-set reps; essentially, this is strength as well, in my opinion.

Great session here. I felt that some of my most complete and deep reps were the last of each set; this is where I felt each product shine. Great stuff so far.

I'd add I despise the taste of Core ABC, but that's because I think Fruit Punch period is rancid. I hate Hawaiin Tropic, and this tastes somewhat similar. I feel that is just me, however, as a friend of mine liked it alot. He thought it was juice.

18. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I'm subbed. I love Swell.
  19. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Great reviews mullet. Looking forward to seeing how these products work for ya.:bb2:
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.49%

Looks like all is going well so far eh!

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

21. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

No doot aboot it.
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.07%

You are the first person who does not like the taste of Fruit Punch. Most people like it better than any other BCAA containing product. I think I am seriously addicted to it and go through a gallon a day. To each his own though; that is what makes this your review. I wish you would have told us you hated Fruit Punch when we asked you which flavor you wanted lol.

Looking forward to more updates.
  23. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Haha, sorry dude. I suppose it somewhat slipped my mind. Update in a few hours: Back.
  24. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Updated. I like retrospective updates more, because with subtle products like these, everyday updates can skew the results. I'd rather look back on my notes throughout the week, and comment on somewhat solid emergent patterns.
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%

So where is this update I was promised? Do I really have to re-read your shenanigans from days past to find them?
    WHITE WHALE!
  26. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

So where is this update I was promised? Do I really have to re-read your shenanigans from days past to find them?
    Up at the top, weiner. In the update posts.
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%

Up at the top, weiner. In the update posts.
    weiner? We're all adults here, you can call me a ****. lol
    I could even take it one step further and ask you how you're liking the fruit punch

I'm liking the recovery from it as well bro. It's definately becoming a staple supp. I had a bit of a convo with AFJON on my log regarding 'stacking,' if you will, xtend and CoreABC for lean mass preservation during a cut. I think it'd be a great idea. CoreABC around workout time, and xtend during the rest of the day for bcaa supplementation.
    WHITE WHALE!
  28. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

I agree, it's a product based in utility and not flash, which serves my purposes well. Though, I'm ****ing Superman, so it's hard not to be flashy.

29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%

Though, I'm ****ing Superman, so it's hard not to be flashy.

Whereas I just photoshop smiley faces on to my crotch. To each his own I suppose.
    WHITE WHALE!
  30. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Updated again. The reason why I have chosen to run my log in this fashion is as follows:

a) Clutter. Logs invariably bloat to 20+ pages of information which is necessarily useless to an individual trying to research a product. In this manner, somebody can search for "Swell" and literally see nothing but results.

b) Hindsight. By updating weekly, it allows me to see the more additive effects of product like these. They are not steroids, and will not have a 'kick-in day', so to speak, but an aggregate effect on performance; I thought the fairest way to represent that is with weekly updates.

31. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

As for taste:

Poseidon:

Too mild, in my opinion, however I do understand the difficulty in flavoring some of these nasty ingredients. A more tangential lemon/citrus flavor would have been more to my liking.

Core ABC:

As I've said before - I hate Fruit Punch. However, I can tell that others would rave about this, as it tastes exactly like what I despise.
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%

As for taste:

Poseidon:

Too mild, in my opinion, however I do understand the difficulty in flavoring some of these nasty ingredients. A more tangential lemon/citrus flavor would have been more to my liking.

Core ABC:

As I've said before - I hate Fruit Punch. However, I can tell that others would rave about this, as it tastes exactly like what I despise.
    Don't you mean Swell? Or did you get a tub of Poseidon as well?
    WHITE WHALE!
  33. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Don't you mean Swell? Or did you get a tub of Poseidon as well?
    I meant Swell, sorry. My bad.
  34. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Good feedback so far Mullet.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

35. Nimbus Nutrition Co-Founder
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.71%

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post

Beta-Alanine - 1.6g
    CM - 1g
  36. Nimbus Nutrition Co-Founder
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.71%

Great Log!!!!
  37. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Thank you. I hope there's enough information, I'd just rather keep this to the facts.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

How many days you got left Mullet?
  39. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

4 days of Core, and 11 days of Swell!

40. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Good log Mullet...not cluttered and to the point...very effective
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

Similar Forum Threads

1. Core ZAP...and Sushi!!! (Win A Bottle of CORE ZAP Inside)
    By dbc5 in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 02:06 AM
  2. Gee Willikers, Thats Just SWELL. A Nimbus Swell Log
    By Outside Backer in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 01:52 PM
  3. Is my Neurostim rotten?
    By Moyer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 10:18 AM
  4. No longer rotten inside, but....