In it to win it: 14 weeks to Glory (AP/Drive/IGF-2/other)

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Today is the official start of my training for the Masters Short Course Nationals that will be held May 1st-4th at UT in Austin, Texas. I have a weightlifting routine that will be broken down into 3 cycles over the next 14 weeks. Special thanks to VolcomX311 for this schedule. The routine is broken down like this:

Hypertrophy Phase
6 weeks: Jan 14th - Feb 25th
Frequency: 6 times a week
Intensity: 60-75% of 1RM
Volume: 4-6 sets; 8-12 reps
Rest: 30-90 seconds

Strength Phase
4 Weeks: Feb. 25th - March 24th
Frequency: 4 times a week
Intensity: 75-85% of 1RM
Volume: 3-4 sets; 4-8 reps
Rest: 2-3 min

Power Phase
4 Weeks: March 25th - April 21st
Frequency: 3 times a week
Intensity: 85-95% of 1RM
Volume: 2-3 sets; 1-3 reps
Rest: 4-6 min

Last 2 Weeks before competition are a tapering period with mainly pool work and light lifting the first week and no lifting the last week.

My goal is to be able to swim under a 21.00 in the 50 free. I believe this is completely within reach if I stick to a good diet, have proper supplementation and bust my ass in the pool and the gym.

My diet is fairly strict except for Sunday, my rest day. Those days are pretty much a free for all with the exception of sweets and junk food. I try to keep my macros about 40/45/15 and get in approximately 4300-4500 calories. I currently weigh 194 and am 6'4" with a wingspan of 6'7".

I currently supplement with the following:
NOW Adam Multivitamin
Store bought Fish Oil
Store bought Vitamin C
Anabolic Pump
IGF-2
Drive
Optimun Nutrition ON 100% Whey
Xtend + Bulk BCAAs

My pre-workout(gym) drink consists of:
5g Citrulline Malate
5g Arganine AKG
4g Beta Alanine
4g Glycerol Monostearate
2g ALCAR
2g Creatine Ethyl Ester
2g Creatine Gluconate
2g Tricreatine Malate
2 scoops Xtend

Intra-workout
3-4 Scoops Xtend

Post-workout
1g CEE
1g Creatine Gluconate
1g Tricreatine Malate
1 Scoop Xtend

Post workout 'smoothie'
1/4-1/2 cup ground steel cut oats
2 Scoops ON 100% Whey
1 Tablespoon smuckers Natty Peanut butter

Pre-Swim
5g Citrulline Malate
3g Beta Alanine
2g ALCAR

Each day I will log my gym and swim workouts and will include weight, sets, reps, and intervals (times for swims). This will start today.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
damn....sub 21 in the 50 is fast for a master!
what age group?

my best when i was competing was 21.3.
i was better at the 200 & 500 than the sprints.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
I'm 20, so I'm in the 18-24 age group. I only started swimming as a junior in high school so I don't have quite the experience that a lot of the USS swimmers have. I swam club for about a year and a half but some coaching changes and some other things going on in life made me stop swimming. I still coach for the club and up until last Friday I coached the masters team, which is how I got into the masters competitions.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
very cool. i'll be sure to follow this log!

i grew up doing USS and then went on to swim in college.
it was back in the late 80s to mid 90s.
i wish i had these supplements back then.
also, the training has improved a lot. all we did back then was overtrain.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for joining in Hank! Honestly, I still think that they overtrain a lot, at least the way we worked out the year and a half I did club swimming. From what I hear college swimmers get more quality over quantity though.

Today I didn't get to swim, I only have one pair of goggles and the strap broke today after I put on my cap. Water temperature sucked anyway (was hot/cold, alternating every couple of yards, very annoying) so it didn't bother me too much that I didn't get a chance to swim.

Weightlifting workout was pretty intense, I only had about 45 minutes to complete it as I had to go coach right afterwards. Today was Chest/Triceps/Shoulders. My lifting buddy was out with his girlfriend so I didn't get a chance to do bench, but made up for it with DB bench press.

My workout schedule for the next 6 weeks will be Mon/Thursdays are Chest/Triceps/Shoulders, Tues/Friday are Back/Biceps/Forearms, and Wednesday/Saturday are legs. I alternate abs every other day. No time for abs today, so they'll get done tomorrow.

Todays workout:

Overhead Tricep Extensions:
5x8 w/45lb dumbbell

Incline Chest Fly:
5x8 w/25lb each hand

Front Shoulder Raises:
5x8 w/20lb DB each hand
Side Shoulder Raises:
5x8 w/15lb DB each hand

Dumbbell Bench Press:
5x8 w/45lb DB each hand

Shoulder Shrugs:
5x12 w/50lb DB each hand

Dumbbell Military Press:
5x8 w/30lb each hand

Bent over Tricep Extensions:
5x8 w/15lb each hand

Overall great workout, used 5lb more on the shrugs, incline fly, and overhead tricep extensions than I did last week. I was pretty pumped the entire time and really enjoyed the workout. This was my second workout to use Drive and Anabolic Pump in addition to my normal pre-workout drink.

On these days I will vary what type of tricep extension workouts as well as my military press (between barbell and dumbell). The lateral raises and shrugs are pretty much every Mon/Thurs workout, as well as bench but I didn't have my partner so just did a DB bench. The lateral raises are done front and side right after each other so I guess they're sort of all one set.

Time for smoothie. I typically have one of these in the morning and post workout and before bed. Consists of 2 scoops protein, 1/4-1/2cup oats, sometimes a banana and a scoop of natty PB.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's workout.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Today I got in the pool and swam around 3:15, an hour before I had to coach. I did my usual warmup of 200yd free and then a 200yd Individual Medley (I.M.) The rest of practice was short and simple, I didn't do a whole lot of yards. I took 3 drive before my swim practice along with my pre-cardio drink. I really didn't ever get worn out, even on sprints. There was little to no lactic acid build up at all.

Swim Practice:

Warmup: 400yds

6x50 Free - Easy down/Build back @ 1:00 Interval
6x50 Choice - Kick down/Swim back @ 1:00 Interval

3x6x25 @ :40s Interval
1. Easy free
2. Sprint Fly
3. Easy Free
4. Sprint Back
5. Easy Free
6. Sprint Free

200yd Easy Warmdown. Ended up playing with the kids that showed up early for about 15 minutes. My second and third sprint free I came in to the wall at around 11-12s, which is pretty fast for me right now, especially since I got back in the water only 3 weeks ago.

After I got off work at 6:00 I went to the weight room and lifted. Today was Back/Biceps/Forearms. I took my second dose of drive as well as IGF-2 and Anabolic Pump right before my workout with my pre-workout drink. Overall workout was pretty intense, I had great pumps the whole time and it seems like I've got some new veins popping out in my arms. I got done in about an hour and 15 minutes which a little faster than normal.

Weightlifting Workout

Pull Ups on Pull up assist machine:
5x8 w/44lb assistance (down from 52.5lb assist)

Standing Dumbbell Curls
3x9 w/30lb dumbbells, alternating arms

Curls on Pulley Machine
3x9 w/70lb on weight stack

Forearm Wrist Curls
4x10 w/40lb dumbbell

Reverse Wrist Curls
4x10 w/20lb dumbbell

Wrist Twists
4x12 w/30lb dumbbell

Bent Over Barbell Rows
5x9 w/90lb Barbell (10lb increase)

Leg Raises on Chair
4x12 - Bring knees up to chest, put legs out straight, bring back to chest, and then down for 1 rep

Sit ups on Decline bench
3x12 w/25lb plate - Bench set at about 45 degree angle

Did new stuff with abs and was pleased with the workout I got there. I've got legs tomorrow. Hopefully I can do squats, I've had some pains in the groin/hamstring/gluteal area on my left leg. Only way to stretch it is to hike my foot up on a dresser and lean forward, still hurts though, and makes it almost impossible to go all the way down on squats.

Been taking Anabolic Pump since Saturday, I havn't gotten any of the Anabolic Dumps yet, so hopefully I'll be ok there. I do notice more pumps in the gym, but not significant, and definitely not all day.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
I was pretty sick today, not sure from what. I had a raspy cough and chills all day, and almost didn't go to work. I hope I'm better tomorrow as it chest/tri/shoulders, and I've got private lessons before and after work, so I'll be in the water for over 3hrs just coaching. I hate getting in when I'm sick, especially since the weather has been bad and the water is pretty cold. Feeling somewhat better now except the cough. Gonna take some theraflu and try to get in my evening meals.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
I felt even worse today. Still took my Anabolic Pump, IGF-2, and Drive. If I'm still sick tomorrow I'm going to strangle someone.

No workouts. I even canceled my private lessons that I had before and after work and had another coach cover for me on one of my teams. Took some extra vitamin C, but I don't know what's going to help.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I felt even worse today. Still took my Anabolic Pump, IGF-2, and Drive. If I'm still sick tomorrow I'm going to strangle someone.

No workouts. I even canceled my private lessons that I had before and after work and had another coach cover for me on one of my teams. Took some extra vitamin C, but I don't know what's going to help.
Vitamin C does help! I was sick not long ago, and I refuse to take any sort of medicine unless I absolutely need it (natural antibodies doing the work will make your CNS stronger in the long run).
I have been using these chewable tablets from CVS. It was ~$16 I think, for 300 chewables. I was popping them like candy every hour to so, to keep a constant stream of the vitamin coming in. With every meal, and in between meals (between was probably a waste, but hey). I was taking in something like 10 chewables every day, spead out evenly. I definitly recovered from my cold faster than I thought, with only 1 off day of training. They taste like candy, seriously. Check 'em out... in my experience, the key was to try to keep the vitamin coming in every 1 or 2 hours.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin C does help! I was sick not long ago, and I refuse to take any sort of medicine unless I absolutely need it (natural antibodies doing the work will make your CNS stronger in the long run).
I have been using these chewable tablets from CVS. It was ~$16 I think, for 300 chewables. I was popping them like candy every hour to so, to keep a constant stream of the vitamin coming in. With every meal, and in between meals (between was probably a waste, but hey). I was taking in something like 10 chewables every day, spead out evenly. I definitly recovered from my cold faster than I thought, with only 1 off day of training. They taste like candy, seriously. Check 'em out... in my experience, the key was to try to keep the vitamin coming in every 1 or 2 hours.

Thanks! I'm feeling a little better today, but not much. I'll start with the Vitamin C every hour or two and munch on a couple oranges. I really want to get back in the weight room tonight.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
I felt well enough to lift yesterday, so here are yesterday's and todays workouts:

Friday 1/18/08

Chest/Triceps/

Bench:

5x8 - 130 (Up 10lbs)

Decline Fly superset with Gironda Dips

4x8 Decline flies with 20lb DBs
4x8 Gironda Dips on dip assist with 50.5lb assist

Shoulder Raises
Front: 4x8 - 20lb DBs
Side: 4x8 - 15lb DBs

Overhead Tricep Extension on incline bench w/curl bar
4x8 - 50lbs

Military press superset with shrugs
4x8 - 70lb barbell miliary press
4x8 - 55lb dumbbells for shrugs

Saturday 1/19/08

Stretched then did 5 full stretch pull ups

Pullups on pullup assist
5x8 - 44lb assist

Cable Bicep Curls
4x9 - 70lbs

Preacher Curls
Dropset - Started with 45, dropped 2.5 till just the bar

Forearm Curls
4x8 - 40lb DBs

Reverse Forearm Curls
4x12 - 20lb DBs

In between each set on the forearm curls (reg/reverse) I did two negative pullups, slowly dropping for 15-20s each one.

Decline straight arm barbell pullovers

5x8 - 50lbs (Up 10lbs)

Bent over Barbell Rows
5x8 - 80lbs

Overall both workouts were great. I decided to take 4 Drive instead of 3 before each of the workouts and they were both off the chain! They were very intense the whole time, my endurance and strength has been going up a lot for me and I'm really enjoying hitting the gym. Tomorrow is usually an off day but since I was sick two days I'm going to do my leg workout tomorrow. I really like the energy I'm getting in the gym. On the way to the gym I felt sort of like I was in a rocketship ready to take off, just a constant build up of energy.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Sunday me and my buddy did our leg workout as well as abs. I took 4 Drive and one Anabolic Pump with my pre-lift drink. I had a great workout overall. Though my squats were lagging, I did make some personal bests.

Sunday 1/19/08: Legs

Squats
4x8

Leg Extensions:
5x8 - 150lb (Up 20lb)

Calf Raises:
5x8 - 180lb (Up 15lb)

Leg Curls:
5x8 - 110lb

Obliques:
5x8 holding 45lb Dumbbell (Up 20lb)

Sit ups on 45 degree incline:
3x12 w/25lb plate
Supersetted with:
Leg Raises on leg raise chair:
3x12 - Pick legs up, straighten legs out, bring back in to chest, and down makes 1 rep.

Today, Monday is a rest day. My schedule is kind of out of kilter but I will be running my split until the Sunday after next to get things back on track.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
I worked out late today, was supposed to lift with my buddy again, but he was over at his GF's so he bailed. After work I took my 4 Drive and 3 IGF-2, and 1 Anabolic Pump and sipped on my pre-workout drink waiting to see if he was coming or not. After he ditched, I went and had a killer workout, this was by far one of the best I've had in a while.

Tuesday 1/22/08: Chest/Tri/Shoulders

Bench:
3x8 - 130
Only did 3 sets because I didn't have a spotter.

Decline Dumbell Bench:
5x8 with 40lb DBs

Lateral Raises:
Front: 4x8 - 25 (Up 5lbs)
Side: 4x8 - 20 (Up 5lbs)

Cable Chest Flys:
5x8 - 45lbs each arm

Overhead Cable Tricep Extension:
5x8 - 70lbs

Dumbbell Military Press:
5x8 - 30lb dumbbells
Supersetted with
Shrugs:
5x8 - 55lb dumbbells

Tricep Pushdown Machine:
5x8 - 245lbs

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
No doubt one of my best workout days is to be followed by the worst. I could not sleep a wink last night, and it totally threw off my eating. I couldn't eat any solid food until tonight. I actually threw up what I tried to eat at lunch, but was able to get down my pre-workout shake. My NP order came today, and I started my Pslin and Cordygen5. Unfortunately, my first P-slin dose was gone with lunch's remains that got flushed down the porcelain throne.

Oddly enough, I had great energy through the day, not the slightest bit sleepy. But once I tried to workout, the energy left me until the end of the workout, when for some reason I started to recuperate. I did make a personal best in all of my lifts though! Wierd ****, I had no energy or UMPH, but did go up on all my weight.

Wednesday 1/23/08: Back/Biceps/Forearms

Pullups on pullup assist machine:
5x8 with 35lbs assist (Down from 44lb assist)

Lat Pull Downs:
4x8 - 175lb (Up 10lbs)

Curls:
5x8 - 35lbs Dumbbells (Up 10lbs)
Alternated regular with hammer

Forearms:
5x8 - 45lbs Regular Curls (Up 5lbs)
5x8 - 25lbs Reverse Curls (Up 5lbs)

Not much of a workout day, but the increase in strength was fun. I need to start swimming more, and I promise I will be in and do at least 3000 yards tomorrow.

In other news, you might find it neat to know that I am now doing 7 private swim lessons a week. Thats an additional $140 under the table money I get every week for a total of 3 and a half hours of work. I love my job.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for no update, I've been without internet this past week and been very busy. I plan to start logging again tomorrow, but I have made some pretty good gains this past week and overall really enjoying this stack. The recomp is pretty significant. I didn't have much fat, but I can clearly see my abs right now and have become a lot fuller, harder, and more vascular since I started. The strength benefits are more than satisfying. Overall I'm very impressed with the benefits I see with this stack of products and am excited to see where this goes over the next month.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
I had a great workout in the gym today, but getting back in the pool wasn't quite as spectacular, but ended well. I started to get fatigue during my swim workout. Not muscle fatigue, I never really get that, but more like tired and physically out of energy fatigue. I plan to get up earlier tomorrow and make sure I get a good amount to eat and plenty of carbs before I swim, I think that was the problem. As far as my speed in the water, I was thinking the worst during warmup and the first set, as I was barely cruising in at :37 or so for a 50. Towards the end of practice I got my rhythm back and was able to cruise on a 50 and come in at :30. The worst thing about swimming is how if you don't swim consistently, you lose your ability pretty fast. It's been about a week and a half, since I last got in, and I haven't been consistent for about a month or so. I plan to get my **** together and swim before work everyday this week, and after school Friday.

My gains in the gym are very consistent, its like I'm moving up in weight every day. I absolutely love the effects of this stack on my physique and strength. I have not gone up in weight though, as a matter of fact I am down to 186. But then again I haven't been hitting my goal of 4000cals. Its really hard to get all that in while eating a strict clean diet. And its hard to cram that in when you take medicine that makes you want to sleep all day (not supplement, its for a medical condition.)

Anyhow, on to todays workout. The swim isn't worth typing out, it was basically just getting my stroke in order and smoothing things out, not really a workout.

In the gym however, things were great:

Monday 2-4-08: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

Flat BB Bench Press:
I have to say, this is my least favorite exercise and seems to give the least in gains for me. My bench always struggled in going up, while other exercises have skyrocketed. I want to blame my long lanky arms, but I'm sure its more to it then that. As of this Thursday, I will be trying to get in some different grips and see what helps with my bench. Its really not my exercise. My chest is well defined and looks like it could push a helluva lot more weight than it does, I'm really baffled by my results on this lift.
No spotter today, so only did four sets:
4x8 - 135lbs

Incline DB Flys:
5x8 - 35lb DBs

Shoulder Lateral Raises:
Front: 5x9 - 25lbs
Side: 5x9 - 20lbs

Tricep Cable Pushdowns (using a bar as opposed to rope):
4x10 - 100lbs

4x8 - 45lb DB

Dumbell Shrugs:
I will be moving these to back day as of this Friday.
5x9 - 65lb DBs

Arnold Press Military Press:
I talked to one of the trainers and really liked this variation for military presses, really cool lift here. At this point my shoulders were getting pretty exhausted, I started with 40s and couldn't keep them up for all 8 on the second set.
5x8 - 35lb

No abs today, I needed to do them but will hit them hard tomorrow.

Additional note, I really am amazed at the strength gains, I can't say this enough. I'd like to be gaining more weight, but thats a diet problem right now, but it is impressive to me that I am making the strength gains I am without having to gain a lot of weight. I plan to get myself up to the amount of calories I originally intended to try and maximize what I am getting out of this stack. I think that I will be seeing greater strength gains in addition to a good bit of muscle, but the size/weight isn't as important to me. I can hover between 195-197 or so I think that would be more than enough weight for me right now. I don't know how getting up above 200 would be for my swimming right now. That would be something to try after this competition in May.

And lastly, I have slacked off on making my Xtend drink during my workout. I used to get 4 scoops for my Intra-workout drink but have failed to make one for the last weeks workouts. There's been a significant increase in the day after DOMS, but they do fade after about 36-48 hours though. I picked right back up on using my Xtend during both swim and lifting today, so hopefully I be back on track by the end of this week.

/end massive post

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
I had some pretty good workouts the past two days, no pool work sadly. I need to get off my ass and get in. I'm sleepy all damn day until I get up and then after that feel like I've got a rocket strapped to my back I've got so much energy. I think I need to get a set time on Tues/Thurs to get up in the morn. I don't have school so I just sleep in, and sleep in all day until I have work. :whiner:

Anyhow, here's yesterday's and todays workouts. I enjoyed today's better, no partner to distract me. I did bare minimum yesterday with my partner and ended up talking a lot, so didn't get the most out of my time at the gym.

Tuesday 2-5-08: Back/Biceps/Forearms

Warmed up with some stretching and 5 full hang pull ups

Pullups on Pullup Assist Machine:
5x8 - 27lbs assist

Curls: Two handed on cable machine
5x9 - 80lbs

Bent Over Barbell Rows:
5x8 - 110lbs

Forearm Series:
Regular Curls: 5x8 - 55lbs
Reverse Curls: 5x10 - 30lbs

Lat Pulldowns:
5x9 - 190lbs

Missed the straight arm pullovers/pulldowns today, gonna have to make up for it on Friday.

Wednesday 2-6-08: Legs and Abs

Warmup 1x12 Squat with 115

Squats:
5x8 - 135

Squats are another pitiful exercise for me, but they're moving up.

Leg Extensions:
5x9 - 165lbs

Leg Curls:
4x9 - 120lbs
I got my machine jacked here, shoulda had a 5th set but some kid got on the machine and laid on it in between sets. Meh.

Calf Raises:
5x10 - 160lbs

Leg Press:
5x8 - 180lbs

Abdominals:
Obliques - 5x12 holding 55lb DB
Leg Raise Chair - 5x12
On the leg raise chair, as usual, I pull up my knees, extend straight out, hold, then pull back to chest and back down for one rep.

Any responses or comments on the workouts and the results would be cool. I enjoy logging for my own self interest but it'd be neat to see some feedback too :)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Since you're actually implementing phases, I'd spend more time in the 10-12 rep range during your hypertrophy phase. 8 is fine to dip into, but it looks like you average around 8 reps. Because you are working out in specific phases, I would maximize the primary effect of that phase. In the hypertrophy you are primarily emphasizing volume-intensity, which is primed for growth in the 10-12 rep range. You can really maximize the time under tension principle.

Once you hit your strength phase, I would average 5-6, going as high as 8 is okay, but the bulk of your training should be in the 5-6 range to maximize strength, your priority then moves to Intensity-volume.

And then when you're in the power phase your just intensity-intensity. You may not have the luxury of power lifting stations where you can simply drop weights when they become unmanageable, so single C&J's or even just single cleans, snatches might not be reasonable, but you can still make significant power adaption(s) at the 2-3 rep range, and don't forget, single squats and single deads aren't power lifts (even though they're in power lifting events), they're strength lifts, the primary adaption for power is velocity. VELOCITY is the measure of power [power=work/time] so keep VELOCITY in mind when you hit the power phase. Good luck.

Subbed

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Volcom, I'll definately be moving reps up for the rest of the month then. Eight has always been a comfortable range for me, but changing that up will be no problem.

Also, in the power phase, if I do things like squats, but use a weight where I can really shoot up and get a lot of velocity, is that working towards power, or is it still a strength movement? I'd like to be able to incorporate a few more exercises in the power phase like the straight arm pulldowns, and lat pulldowns, just using high speed to achieve the reps.

Thanks.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Thanks Volcom, I'll definately be moving reps up for the rest of the month then. Eight has always been a comfortable range for me, but changing that up will be no problem.

Also, in the power phase, if I do things like squats, but use a weight where I can really shoot up and get a lot of velocity, is that working towards power, or is it still a strength movement? I'd like to be able to incorporate a few more exercises in the power phase like the straight arm pulldowns, and lat pulldowns, just using high speed to achieve the reps.

Thanks.
Those jumping squats would be fine. Power Lifts aren't limited to just the C&J & Snatch, (although they're the best for practical reasons, I'll explain later) but the premise behind power adaption(s) is velocity. However, I wouldn't suggest bursting up up on a dead lift, hehe, but the jumping squats would stimulate increased firing rate of neurons which would equate to increased velocity.

In a perfect world where jumping squats would be EQUALLY as effective as a C&J or Snatch, would be if you could load enough weight where you could only muster enough energy to jump once. You would squat, immediately launch upward, but then once you're in mid air, you would drop the weight off your back at the peak of the jump so you don't land with 200lbs on your spine (that would be a funny sight), in a perfect world that would be the most effective way to get the most out of a jumping squat, just to give you an idea.

I wouldn't go more then 135lbs with jumping squats, but that would be okay as a power movement.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Good workout today, I have been dosing three Drive before I swim and four before I lift. No swim today, so I got in two with breakfast and five before I lifted today. Needless to say today was a high intensity workout. I've been able to get my carbs and stuff handled so Anabolic Pump has really been doing a lot better job once I got that straight. I notice I'm pumped all day and my look pretty jacked with my veins popping out ALL DAY. Not necessary for swimming, but satisfies my vanity.

Thursday 2-7-08: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

Flat Barbell Bench:
5x12 - 130lbs

I'm suprised I was able to rep through this, bench is finally starting to catch up for me.

Arnold Press Military Press:
5x10 - 35lb DBs
supersetted with...
Incline DB Flys:
5x12 - 30lb DBs

Skullcrushers
5x10 - 60lb Curl Bar

Upright Rows:
5x10 - 95lb Barbell
supersetted with...
Triceps Pushdowns on Machine
5x12 - 295lbs

Lateral Raises
Front: 5x10 - 25lb DBs
Side: 5x10 - 20lb DBs

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
I worked out Friday, had a party that night at my house, and skipped Saturday's workout. I moved it to Sunday which worked out much better for me.

Friday 2-8-08: Back/Biceps

Pullups with Assist:
5x10 with 23.5lbs assist

Preacher Curls:
5x10 - 50lbs

Decline Straight Arm Pullovers:
5x12 - 60lbs

Shrugs:
5x12 - 65lb DBs

Lat Pulldowns:
4x10 - 190lbs

Sunday 2-10-08: Legs

Squat:
5x12 - 135

Leg Extensions:
5x12 - 165

Calf Raises:
5x12 - 170lbs

Leg Curls:
5x12 - 120lbs

Leg Press:
5x12 - 180lbs

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
I have just been getting more and more pumped lately. I now know what skin bursting pumps are, and I don't have to even be working out to have them. With NO stuff you have pumps while lifting. AP and Pslin ARE working, and it is obvious with the pumps I have all day. I was actually getting kind of itchy in random areas yesterday, and I contribute this to my pumps which made my skin feel close to bursting.

Good stuff.

Todays workout, some good strength increases:

Monday 2-10-08: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders/Abs

Flat Dumbell Bench:
5x12 - 55lb DBs (Up 10lbs and 4 reps)

Lateral Raises:
Front: 5x12 - 25lbs
Side: 5x12 - 20lbs

Bent Over Triceps Kickbacks:
5x12 - 25lb DBs

Cable Chest Flys:
5x12 - 50lbs each hand (Up 5lbs and 4 reps)

Barbell Military Press:
5x12 - 70lbs (Up 4 Reps)

Triceps Pushdown Machine:
5x12 - 295lbs
This exercise is getting way too easy, gonna start doing dips as a replacement.

Upright Rows:
5x12 - 80lb Barbell (Small decrease here, I wasn't getting as far up as I wanted on all 12 with 95lbs like I used last time)

Abs:
5x12 Situps - 45lb Dumbell held while working on a 45degree decline bench

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Due to my schedule this week my last couple of workouts have been cut short and I didn't get in all the exercises I intended. Regardless, strength is still going up, and I'm weighing in at 191.

Tuesday 2-11-08: Back/Bicep/Forearms

Pullups:
4x8 - Dead hang no assist
1x8 - 23lb assist

Curls - Alternating Regular/Hammer:
6x10 - 35lb DBs

Straight Arm Decline Barbell Pullovers:
5x12 - 70lbs (Up 10lbs and 4 reps per set)

Bent Over DB Rows:
5x10 - 70lbs (Up 5lbs)

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday was really cut short, only got in 3 exercises.

Wednesday 2-12-08: Legs

Squats:
5x12 - 155lb (Up 20lbs)

Squats are finally on the rise for me, I hate this exercise and have always had weak legs but its nice to see them forming up and getting stronger.

Leg Extensions:
5x12 - 170lbs (Up 5lbs)

Calf Raises:
Didn't use the machine this time. I stacked up three 25lb plates up, and did 5x12 on each foot and held a 30lb dumbbell the whole time. Calves are still sore!

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday I got in a decent amount, not as much as I wanted.

Thursday 2-14-08: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

Flat Bench:
5x12 - 135 (Up 5lbs)

Incline Dumbbell Flys:
5x12 - 30lb DBs

Tricep Pulldowns on Cable Machine:
5x12 - 100lb

Arnold Presses:
5x12 - 35lb Dumbbells

4x9 - 50lb Dumbbell

Wanted to do my lateral raises and some decline chest stuff but had to get to work.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Full workout today, got in a lotta exercises and really tore into my back. The pumps are consistently great and the veins on my biceps are getting thick. My grip started to slip towards the end of the workout, and I finished with forearms and ended up doing less weight because of this. I know it didn't help to miss them on Tuesday either.

Friday 2-15-08: Back/Biceps/Forearms

Dead Hang Pullups:
4x8 - Bodyweight

Preacher Curls:
5x12 - 50lbs

Bent Over Barbell Rows:
5x12 - 110lbs (Up 4 reps)

Decline Straight Arm Barbell Pullovers:
4x12 - 70lbs

Straight Arm Pulldowns:
4x12 - 80lbs (on cable machine)

Shrugs:
5x12 - 65lb Dumbbells

Forearm Curls:
Front - 5x10 - 50lb DBs
Reverse - 5x12 - 30lb DBs

Plate Pinch:
5 sets at 30seconds hold with 25lb plates

Overall good workout and intensity. I started to get out of energy during the pullovers, was really working hard. I think I needed to get in a bit more food earlier today and get in more water so I can keep my energy up throughout the workout.

Can't wait to go bust my legs tomorrow! (Never thought I'd say that...)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Good job on the decline straight arm barbell pull overs. 70lbs is a good weight.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Good job on the decline straight arm barbell pull overs. 70lbs is a good weight.
Thanks! The weight really shot up with those, I'm gonna try sets of 10 with 80 tomorrow and see how that goes.

I got a little swim in today before my lessons. I noticed the biggest improvement I've had is with my backstroke. It's just so damn easy now to pull through the water. I can go pretty damn fast without trying. About a month ago I could cruise on backstroke and come in at 45 seconds for a 50, now I can cruise in around 35, so I'm definitely getting back to where I was when I was training with the club. My butterfly is improving drastically as well. The pullovers have really helped with the underwater portion of this stroke as it is very easy to pull with good form. Used to after several strokes my form would start going down. Now I can cross the pool in about 8 strokes and keep great form the whole way. Note, I don't train butterfly other than in 25s for the 100IM, I'm sure if I did more 50s/100s with it I would have more endurance here, but its not my favorite stroke.

I took a total of 8 Drive today, 4 before swim, 4 before lift. I absolutely love the stuff but it gets used up way too fast. I need to order more.

Good lifts overall today, but I can't wait till next week when I move on to phase 2!

Monday 2-19-08: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

Flat Bench:
4x12 - 135
Definitely struggled on the last two sets, hope I do better Thursday.

Incline Dumbbell Bench:
2x12 - 40lb DBs
3x12 - 45lb DBs
Followed Charles Glass's technique as shown in his vids on BB.com for this exercise. Was able to really hit my pecs with this. I used high incline with my elbows in and got a pretty good burn from this.

Overhead Rope Tricep Extensions on Cable:
2x12 - 80
3x12 - 70

Started with 80, that ended up being way too heavy.

Lateral Raises:
Front: 4x9 - 30lbs (Up 5lbs)
Side: 4x9 - 25lbs (Up 5lbs)

Upright Rows:
5x12 - 80lbs
Definitely could have and should have used 90 here, but I wanted to make sure I was pulling the bar far enough up.

Dips:
5x10 - Bodyweight

Flat Bench Flys:
5x12 - 35lb Dumbbells

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Thanks! The weight really shot up with those, I'm gonna try sets of 10 with 80 tomorrow and see how that goes.

I got a little swim in today before my lessons. I noticed the biggest improvement I've had is with my backstroke. It's just so damn easy now to pull through the water. I can go pretty damn fast without trying. About a month ago I could cruise on backstroke and come in at 45 seconds for a 50, now I can cruise in around 35, so I'm definitely getting back to where I was when I was training with the club. My butterfly is improving drastically as well. The pullovers have really helped with the underwater portion of this stroke as it is very easy to pull with good form. Used to after several strokes my form would start going down. Now I can cross the pool in about 8 strokes and keep great form the whole way. Note, I don't train butterfly other than in 25s for the 100IM, I'm sure if I did more 50s/100s with it I would have more endurance here, but its not my favorite stroke.

I took a total of 8 Drive today, 4 before swim, 4 before lift. I absolutely love the stuff but it gets used up way too fast. I need to order more.

Good lifts overall today, but I can't wait till next week when I move on to phase 2!

Monday 2-19-08: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

Flat Bench:
4x12 - 135
Definitely struggled on the last two sets, hope I do better Thursday.

Incline Dumbbell Bench:
2x12 - 40lb DBs
3x12 - 45lb DBs
Followed Charles Glass's technique as shown in his vids on BB.com for this exercise. Was able to really hit my pecs with this. I used high incline with my elbows in and got a pretty good burn from this.

Overhead Rope Tricep Extensions on Cable:
2x12 - 80
3x12 - 70

Started with 80, that ended up being way too heavy.

Lateral Raises:
Front: 4x9 - 30lbs (Up 5lbs)
Side: 4x9 - 25lbs (Up 5lbs)

Upright Rows:
5x12 - 80lbs
Definitely could have and should have used 90 here, but I wanted to make sure I was pulling the bar far enough up.

Dips:
5x10 - Bodyweight

Flat Bench Flys:
5x12 - 35lb Dumbbells

Wow, great improvements on the time. I'm sure this isn't news to you, but just a reminder. The more improvements you make, the smaller that margin of improvement will become as you make your way up the pyramid of performance. Once you've made your way into your power phase and you are nearing peak output performance, if you can even improve by seconds you'd be making stellar progress. All this I'm sure you already knew, but I just wanted to refresh your expectations so you remain motivated even when the gains start to diminish in quantity. It's those .5, 1, 1.5 second quality gains that make the difference.

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday 2-19-08: Back/Bicep/Forearms

Pullups:
4x8 - Bodyweight

Two Handed Curls on Cable Machine:
4x12 - 90lbs (Up 10lbs)

Deadlift:
First time ever doing this exercise. My lower back is killing me today.
4x10 - 185lbs

Decline Barbell Pullovers:
1x10 - 80lbs
Too heavy to finish second set, dropped to 70.
4x10 - 70lbs

Bent Over Dumbbell Rows:
5x12 - 70

Lat Pulldowns:
4x12 - 190

No forearm isolation work today, my grip was shot after all the lifts today.