Golden Finish From Controlled Labs

1. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Golden Finish From Controlled Labs

As a introduction I need to inform everyone reading this that about 1 month ago I had extensively invasive abdominal surgery to correct a blockage in my Small intestines due to an excessive amount of scar tissue from an appendectomy that I had performed when I was a child. I was in the hospital for 9 days and during that time I have lost an incredible amount of weight - 33 pounds at this point - and a considerable amount of my strength.

I have not touched a weight during this entire time and will not be lifting until this Thursday which will mark 5 weeks since my initial hospitalization and surgery. I will not be attempting to break any personal records, I will not be lifting heavy. I will be focusing on recovery some lost muscle mass and strength over the course of this log and I expect this product to aid me in my quest.

Undoubtedly some of the gains you will read about in this log will be attributed to muscle memory and just normal recovery, but I will try my best to sort that out. I have used several post workout products and my current favorite is Anabolic Window from Nutrabolics. I do not like high GI carbs in my postworkout shake as they tend to leave me feeling a bit bloated and lethargic after consumption. While the exact nature of the carb source is not revealed I am assuming that if CL was just using a standard D-glucose or dextrose carb they would not go through the secrecy.

My past PWO Shakes are
    (1) Xtreme Formulations Relentless
    (2) Nutrabolics Anabolic Window
    (3) Champion Nutrition Metabol II (surprisingly good)
    (4) Universal Lava
    (5) Myogenx AfterMax

Lets see which is the best.

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

My Stats

Age - Getting older every day
    Weight - 195 (down from 225 presurgery that is a 30lb loss)
    Height - 6'3"

Current Supplements
    Universal Storm
    Green Tea
    Ginseng and Gingko combo
    Poseid
    on

I try to keep my supplementation simple at this point and these are all supplements that I find useful on a regular basis. I will limit all other variables during the course of this log.
  3. PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.79%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

looking forward to this
    •   

4. Lift Heavy
    Stats
    6'2"  241 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.43%

Looks good bro, gonna post up any pics for this one?
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Quote Originally Posted by bLacKjAck. View Post
    Looks good bro, gonna post up any pics for this one?
    Yes I should have pics up on Thursday. I hate my post surgery physique. I feel like an insecure highschool girl right now.
  6. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Initial Review

When I received my Golden Finish (sounds perverted) I decided to try out a half serving just to evaluate its taste and other attributes.

Mixability - I mixed it with water and tried stirring it with a spoon but was left with several floating clumps. I then put the top on my shaker cup and shook it vigorously and all the clumps disappeared leaving a pretty smooth consistent shake

Rank - 7.5

Taste - A bit tart for me when mixed with about 16 ounzes of water so I may have to use more when I mix an entire serving. Had a decent tropical flavor with a hint of pina coloda/banana taste to it that I enjoyed and I wish they had moved more in this direction rather in the more sour/citrus type of flavor. Not the best, but I have had much worse. Also I am a bit biased towards chocolate flavors and I usually mix my shakes with milk so just using water was a change for me. This flavor has strong potential if they can adjust the sourness/tartness of the product.

Rank - 7

Effects - Well hard to tell when I was just sitting around watching "Shoot Em Up" which is the greatest movie I have ever seen - RENT IT. A few minutes after I drank Golden Finish I became really light headed for about 15 minutes and then it went away and I felt great. There were zero problems with digestion which for me was impressive because since my recent stomach surgery I have had trouble digesting much of anything, especially protein powders. This suggest to me that the protein has a good degree of hydrolysis and the carbs are a pretty high MW. Based on this alone I am impressed but then again it was just a half serving

Rank - 8

I am looking forward to how this product works out over the next month.
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.06%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

nice log brother

10 minutes to Yumu starring Russel Crowe and Christian Slater came out today. Brother and I watched it. Its good
    Last edited by John Smeton; 01-10-2008 at 12:56 AM.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  8. PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.79%

did you take a full dose yet?
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Quote Originally Posted by CONTROLLED LABS View Post
    did you take a full dose yet?
    Not yet, I am waiting until my first full workout on Saturday.

OK quick update. Since my surgery I have not worked out in 5 weeks. Last night I performed several sets of pushups, situps, bodyweight squats, and walking lunges just to determine how much strength I have lost. My pushups are down by half, bodyweight squats wore me out after 25, lunges were off by half, situps down by half. I am anticipating severe drops from the weights I was using previously.
  10. CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.33%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Hopefully you bounce back fast !

:dl:
    CONTROLLED LABS - WINNING the WAR against GENETICS
    Email: pt [at] controlledlabs.com
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Quick update. I just finished my first workout at the GYM. :dl:

Boy am I weak now. I am not even going to list the weight but the I will post my routine.

Squats = 5 x 5
    Bench Press = 5 x 5
    Rows = 5 x 5
    Pull Ups = 5 x 5
    Calf Raises = 5 x 5
    Cardio = Jump Rope 15 minutes (this was surprisingly good)

Golden Finish - This was my first time using the full serving and with 3 scoops and the added water the flavor improved quite a bit. I am going to raise the taste to an 8. The mixability improved as well. Another 8.
  12. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Strange side effect has happened on both occasion I drank Golden Finish. About 15 minuutes after ingestion I will get extremely light headed for about 10 minutes, then instantly it is gone and I feel really good. I am so confused by this.
  13. CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.33%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by whitedevil74 View Post
    Strange side effect has happened on both occasion I drank Golden Finish. About 15 minuutes after ingestion I will get extremely light headed for about 10 minutes, then instantly it is gone and I feel really good. I am so confused by this.
    Are you slamming it ? If so, sip on it instead... or even drink it during your post-workout meal.

:squat:
  14. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Quote Originally Posted by pu12en12g View Post
    Are you slamming it ? If so, sip on it instead... or even drink it during your post-workout meal.

:squat:
    No I am sipping on it. It is just a very strange sensation, but once it is gone I feel wonderful, almost euphoric for about 20 minutes. What the heck did you put in my Golden Finish?
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.06%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I notice this as well.Its a good recovered feeling. It's the Pea my friend.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  16. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    I notice this as well.Its a good recovered feeling. It's the Pea my friend.
    You may be on to something with the PEA.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.21%

Looking good so far, do not worry the strength will come back. Hope this helps on yoru road to revocery anbd gettign back up to where you were.
  18. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

WORKOUT #2

Another 5 x 5 type of workout

Incline Bench Press 5 x 5
    Leg Press 5 x 5
    Pull Ups 5 x 5
    Cardio - 20 minutes

Hammer Bench 3 x 15
    Hammer Rows 3 x 15

Thoughts
    - I decided to add a bit of higher rep sets at the end of my workout just to get a bit of a pump in my muscles. Immediately postworkout I drank my shake. No light headedness or follow up eupohria, but recovery is excellent after ingestion. I experienced zero carb crash and I drank it down fast after this last workout. This morning my muscles felt sore but pleasantly so, unlike my first workout which left me crippled for three days. I am getting progressively stronger and I hope this product helps. It is too early to reach any determination other than the flavor has definitely grown on me.
  19. CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.33%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Sounding better and better :dl:
  20. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Workout 3

Another Full Body Workout and I am stopping all sets well before failure as I would hate to split myself open. Muscle memory is an amazing phenomena as my muscles are already becoming more full after just about a week of working out and my strength is returning as well. It is substantially less than where it was presurgery but I am much stronger than a week ago.

Workout

Lunges
    1 x30
    1 x 20
    1 x 20

Bench Press
    raised weight 10lbs each set
    1 x 20
    1 x 15
    1x 15
    1 x 15
    1 x 110

Pull Ups
    1 x 13
    1 x 10
    1 x 8
    1 x 6

Leg Press
    1 x 25
    1 x 20
    1 x 15

Hammer Rows
    1 x 15
    1x 15
    1 x 10

Thoughts
    - I am liking the taste of GF more every time so overall I am satisfied with it. I would still have preferred CL would have gone more for a pina coloda/banana flavor but I did not design the formula and people should generally enjoy the taste. I felt a little light headed after drinking it tonight but I downed it pretty fast so that is probably the reason. I will post in the morning regarding any increased recovery.
  21. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Workout 4

My body felt like it had recovered substantially since last night so I opted to have another workout today. Since the Australian Open was on I ended walking/running for about 1 hour watching the Federer match. What an amazing contest. Both left players gave played their hearts out and it was a shame to watch either lose.

After my run I just did a few sets of Biceps, Tricep, and Shoulder exercises. nothing intense just some assitance work for my full body routines.

Thoughts - maybe I ran for too long and was just dehydrated but GF was just too sweet for me today and it took me awhile to drink it all. I also felt a bit lightheaded again and this is why I urge them to release the carbohydrate source as I do not know if it is the carbs or the PEA that is causing this. My muscles already feel much better so it is helping with recovery and that is what is most important.
  22. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Workout Five

Strength is increasing everytime I workout but I not even close to my lifts presurgery. Every day I feel a bit stronger and I am starting to see my muscles fill in again.

todays workout was very good.

Golden Finish - Today I slammed it down after my workout and about 20 minutes later I felt very lightheaded. I had to lay down for a little while but then it went away. This is starting to concern me a bit I would appreciate some feedback from Controlled Labs about what may be causing this. I have taken other supplements with PEA in the formulation and have not experienced a sensation like this.

I do not believe the carb source is malto as GF has a bit of a grainy texture to it and malto is very powdery. Recovery after workouts is going well but no real pumped feeling after drinking GF like I would experience with Anabolic Window.

I think after my workout I may try out my Myozene just to compare the two formulas and see if I can eliminate dextrose as a carb source as well. Myozene is full of dextrose so I will be comparing taste and texture.
  23. Lift Heavy
    Stats
    6'2"  241 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.43%

Guess everyone is different man. I absolutely slam mine down 5 min postworkout everyday. I am not experiencing any lightheadedness at all.
  24. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Workout 6

Tonight same 5 x 5 type of format + I ran/walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill on an 8.5 incline and my calves were buring. After the workout cam e home and dropped in 3 scoops of GFH + Ice cubes and it was surprisingly pleasant and refreshing. I felt a little lightheaded for about 10 minutes but feel excellent now. Recovery actually feels really good and Doms have been diminishing even though my workout intensity has been increasing gradually. Tonight I am very satisfied with this product.
  25. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Workout 7

Yesterday I performed some assistance work, shoulders, Triceps, Biceps and then ran for abotu 20 minutes.. Took GF when I got home and I am enjoying the taste much better when I add the ice cubes. Recovery has been improved and DOMS are diminished which has allowed me to workout with a bit more frequency compared to when I started this log. No light headedness. I am thinking that it may be the ALA because that tend to make me go hypo if I do not take in adequate carbs. I have noticed that when I use carbs intraworkout and then GF postworkout there is no lightheadedness, however if I do not have carbs during my workout I do get lightheaded for a bit. I will continue to update.
  26. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Workouts 8 and 9.

Still sticking to a 5 x 5 format but now I am adding in a bit more assistance work. Prior to this log I had never performed full body workouts and I am surprised how much I enjoy them. Through trial and error I discovered that squats should be placed last in my workout as they just exhaust the entire body and I feel that my workouts overall are better if they go last.

GFH notes - The taste is growing on me especially with the ice cubes. It does not leave me bloated at all and I am always able to eat in about 45 minutes after my shake. Recovery is good but nothing out of the ordinary. DOMS are diminished but standard for a Postworkout product. Not that this is a bad thing but there is not a lot of room for improvement from protein + carbs based formulas. I do like the addition of the digestive enzymes in this product. Will update after next workout.
  27. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Workout 10 and 11

I decided to bump up the GFH to 4 scoops instead of the recommended 3 scoops. This provides about 33 grams of protein and 33 grams of carbohydrates and puts it on par with most of the other postworkout shakes on the market. The extra scoop has made a major difference for me postworkout. 3 scoops was just not enough for someone of my bodyweight (200+lbs) but 4 seems to be a good fit. Taste is improved with 4 scoops, recovery is up. I know I am disregarding the label dosing instructions but for me 3 scoops is just not enough. this will change how many servings a person can expect and brings it in line with the other shakes at about 15 servings per container. I will update soon.
  28. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Workout 12

I like this product soooo much better at four scoops instead of three. I had a fantastic workout last night and thought I would be miserable today but DOMS are almost nonexistent and I could go workout again right now.

At three scoops this product is average
    At four scoops it is fantastic.

Still trying to determine the carb source for this as it has a slightly gritty texture to it. It does not interfere with the taste and is not unpleasant but it definitely seems like some type of fiber source.
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.21%

Wish I could disclose the information to you on the carb source but am not able. Will have to try 4 scoops myself to see how I like it, I also want to add some pineapple protein or flavoring to it.

Interesting on the timing of carbs in relation to the light headness. Are you sensitive to ALA?
  30. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Workout 13

Quote Originally Posted by ddawg91 View Post
    Wish I could disclose the information to you on the carb source but am not able. Will have to try 4 scoops myself to see how I like it, I also want to add some pineapple protein or flavoring to it.

Interesting on the timing of carbs in relation to the light headness. Are you sensitive to ALA?
    I think I am very sensitive to ALA and need a large amount of carbs to prevent going hypo. Discovered this by accident when taking some r-ala earlier in the week and felt like I was going to pass out until I ate about 60 grams of carbs.

I am sticking with the four scoops and I really enjoy this product now. Anyone 200+ lbs I believe should take the extra scoop to make this product worth their while.
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.21%

Quote Originally Posted by whitedevil74 View Post
    I think I am very sensitive to ALA and need a large amount of carbs to prevent going hypo. Discovered this by accident when taking some r-ala earlier in the week and felt like I was going to pass out until I ate about 60 grams of carbs.

I am sticking with the four scoops and I really enjoy this product now. Anyone 200+ lbs I believe should take the extra scoop to make this product worth their while.
    Good info and good discovery, never heard of anyone that sensitive to ALA but will put that in my memory for just in case.

How are your gains? Have you put on much of what you lsot from being sick?
  32. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Quote Originally Posted by ddawg91 View Post
    Good info and good discovery, never heard of anyone that sensitive to ALA but will put that in my memory for just in case.

How are your gains? Have you put on much of what you lsot from being sick?
    I have only managed to add about 6 pounds from what I lost and my strength is recovering slowly as well. I am somewhat pleased with my new weight as all of my suits fit better and are much more comfortable now. I was getting too big for all my clothes and now they all fit again.
  33. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.39%

Sorry about my absence from posting over the past week but an infinite number of crisis presented themselves and I became a bit distracted over the past week.

I have still been using GF for my past three workouts and surprisingly I still have a couple of servings left. This is also taking into consideration that I have been adding the extra scoop to my past three shakes so I have not had the problem that some other loggers have encountered with receiving fewer serviings than listed.

I am liking this product more and more and all lightheadedness has disappeared.
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.83%

Question for you (anyone else that uses this product).

I get aftertaste for hours after ingesting GF. Even 2 meals later I'm still tasting GF, anyone else?

Similar Forum Threads

1. New from Controlled Labs: White Flood Reborn...SALE!
    By NutraPlanet CS in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 02:18 AM
  2. Cary tries PROnom 23 from Controlled Labs
    By Cary K in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 03:16 PM
  3. Want to log ANY product from Controlled Labs? Post here!
    By RenegadeRows in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 07:35 PM
  4. What's your goal??? New opportunity from Controlled LABS
    By RenegadeRows in forum Controlled Labs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 12:46 PM
  5. Controlled Labs NEW Golden FinisH Contest
    By CONTROLLED LABS in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 12:09 PM