• Established
Focus XT Trial
by BigVrunga

Current Stats:
Weight: 209
BF%: ~10%
Height: 6'

Product Description:
FocusXT is a custom blend of Nootropics from Serious Nutrition Solutions. Active Ingredients include:

Focus XT Blend: 9800 mg.
- Choline Bitartrate
- L-Tyrosine
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine
- DMAE
- Vinpocetine
- Huperzine A

Caffeine: 200 mg.

Of these, Ive tried Choline, Vinopocetine, L-Tyrosine, and ALCAR by themselves or in combination with other compunds. Im very interested to see what FocusXT can bring to the table in terms of mental alertness and focus at both the gym and elsewhere.

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Day 1 - 9/25/2006

I work in the IT industry, so mental acuity is crucial and Im eager to see what this blend of nootropic compounds can do for me in this regard.

11:00am - 1 serving FocusXT

Effects: FocusXT tastes like a slightly chalky pink lemonade. It is very palatable, and goes down easy. Im not expecting much during my first few days of use - I know many nootropic compounds exert their benefits over a few weeks of sustained use, needing time to build up in the system and effect the body's neurochemistry.

No surprisingly, I noticed little from this intial dose. Perhaps a slight stimulation, but not much in the way of focus or alertness.

BV

Last edited:
BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Day 2 - 9/26/2006

12:00pm 1 heaping scoop FocusXT

Effects: I put a little extra in my shaker bottle today, mixed it when i got to work and sipped on in for about an hour or so. About 30 minutes after ingestion, I felt a very noticable moodlift and became more talkative - joking around more than I usually do. In the middle of some story where I was nearly in tears laughing with a few coworkers - I thought of the FocusXT I'd drank just shortly before. When I went back to work, I definitely did feel more focused and alert. Still to early to say if this is the product or placebo effects, time will tell.

One thing I do notice, is that even though FocusXT has 200mg caffeine per serving, I dont feel jittery or 'cracked out' at all after taking it. Ive noticed this before with caffeine working in synergy with other nootropic compounds, especially vinopocetine - which is supposed to increase blood flow to the brain.

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Day 3 - 9/27/2006

11:00 am 1 scoop Focus XT

2:00 pm 1 scoop Focus XT

Effects: Not much noticed in the way of mental acuity or nootropic oriented effects. Definite stimulation, and considering the amount of caffeine ingested it was surprisingly smooth, with no real crash. That's quite a bit more caffeine that I'll usually take in a day too.

Last edited:
yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Interesting to read your experience with this.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
that's the same type of reaction i'm getting. No crash and more than usual caffeine intake with it.

YR, can you have a mental focus without getting the body to go with it?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
YR, can you have a mental focus without getting the body to go with it?
Sure, there are lots of nootropics which work on selective parts of the body (as opposed to general system stimulants). Sulbutamine selectively stimulates the speech and language centers of the brian. Vinpocetine and gingko are supposed to increase blood flow. My experience with Focus XT was pretty dramatic but not as a generalized stim.....it worked on mood, focus and endurance or me.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It works on clearing my head of most of the voices :p And even feels like it gives me endurance in the gym but I get absolutely nothing from it physically wise when i'm at work. If I don't continue to move i'll actually go to sleep.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
JBlaze or SNS - would you mind PMing me the doses of each compound in a serving? I know how I react to specific doses of Vinopocetine, Tyrosine, ALCAR, and Choline individually - it would interesting to compare what's in FocusXT with what I know works for me as far as mental stimulation is concerned.

BV

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You would think :) How much caffeine is in a large cup of coffee I wonder. Gonna have to go look real quick.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You would think How much caffeine is in a large cup of coffee I wonder. Gonna have to go look real quick.
I believe an 8oz cup has ~100mg

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I believe an 8oz cup has ~100mg
As an agricultural product, caffeine content can vary widely depending upon the type of bean, growing region & conditions and type of roast. Here are some googled averages:

Drip 60-180mg per cup (average 115 mg)
Espresso 100mg per 1 serving (1.5-2oz)
Brewed 40-170

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll drink half a 10cup pot...Hmm, maybe there's a link here :p

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Day 4 - 9/28/2006

12:00pm -1 serving Focus XT

Effects: Similar to the previous days, didnt seem to notice much other than a mild caffeine buzz. It seemed like a couldnt wake up all day, I was hoping the FocusXT would bring me out of the funk but it really didnt seem to. Around 4:00pm, picked up a 'BooKoo' energy drink from a store down the road and it hit me like a cannon.

I find it very odd that Im not really feeling much from FocusXT, especially with its list of ingredients. I *know* that stuff works, because Ive tried it before. SNS - did you test this latest batch? Its strange that Yeahright's experiences with the product are so positive,and yet mine and JayHawkk's seem to be sub-par.

Last edited:
BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Day 5 - 9/29/2006

6:30am - 1 Serving Focus XT

Effects: Today I tried FocusXT as a pre-workout booster for my AM workout. I had a good night's sleep, and woke up refreshed. The FocusXT didnt seem to do much for me at the gym other than the above mentioned mild caffeine buzz. I had ~6oz of coffee with breakfast, and it was noticeably more stimulating.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I have no clue what doses are in this stuff, BigV.

Let me direct your comment(s) to Steve to investigate.

Blap

Blap

Serious Nutrition Solutions
Awards
I find it very odd that Im not really feeling much from FocusXT, especially with its list of ingredients. I *know* that stuff works, because Ive tried it before. SNS - did you test this latest batch? Its strange that Yeahright's experiences with the product are so positive,and yet mine and JayHawkk's seem to be sub-par.
hmmmmmmmmm, that is odd.

How are you taking your Focus in relation to meals? I'm pretty certain there's no batch issues- we have a number of logs currently running on other forums too from the same batch, the majority of which are extremely positive.

Nicely kept log btw :)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Blap -

Yeah its striking me as odd the Focus XT isnt hitting me harder. Generally, Ive been taking it about 2 hrs after a meal or on an empty stomach. Sometimes with food though. I think vinopocetine is supposed to have better absorption rates with food,iirc.

I havent tried thoroughly mixing the can contents though - I wonder if some of the ingredients have settled to the bottom? Ill shake it thoroughly before my next serving.

I have no clue what doses are in this stuff, BigV.

Let me direct your comment(s) to Steve to investigate.
Thanks for looking into that, Jmh80:)

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Day 7 - 9/30/2006

2:00pm - 1 serving Focus XT

Effects: I just drank it down, so its too early to tell. Just wanted to update though - I thoroughly mixed the can contents this time, and the taste of the focus XT was noticeably different. Rather than a chalky, almost mediciney tasting lemonade flavor I could really taste the tangy bite of the ALCAR this time. This time it tastes like Yeahright described in his log - almost just like pink lemonade. Drank it 5 minutes ago so its too early to tell if the effects will be different, Ill be back later with an update.

BV

Blap

Blap

Serious Nutrition Solutions
Awards
Day 7 - 9/30/2006

Effects: I just drank it down, so its too early to tell. Just wanted to update though - I thoroughly mixed the can contents this time, and the taste of the focus XT was noticeably different. Rather than a chalky, almost mediciney tasting lemonade flavor I could really taste the tangy bite of the ALCAR this time. This time it tastes like Yeahright described in his log - almost just like pink lemonade. Drank it 5 minutes ago so its too early to tell if the effects will be different, Ill be back later with an update.

BV
sounds promising!

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm interested in seeing if mixing it makes a difference. Keep us updated.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Day 7 - 9/30/2006

BV
Interesting to see if product settleing/separating was the issue. Was just looking at Beowulf's log and he and his wife seem to be having a good Focus XT experience so it's probably not a batch issue.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Day 7 - continued

Effects: I did notice a little more in the way of alertness, but still - nothing like what I would expect from 200mg caffeine. In fact, after an hour or so it was all I could do to stay awake. Like Jayhawkk mentioned - if I didnt keep moving it felt like Id fall asleep.

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Day 8 - 10/1/2006

4:30 PM - 2 Servings Focus XT

Effects: The lack of expected effects is strange, so I figured id double up on the dosing and see what happened. Within 30 minutes, i felt a little disoriented - just like I do when I take in too much choline. Shortly after, felt a little queasy. That passed eventually but still nothing much in the way of alertness of stimulation. This should have been 400mg of caffeine plus a large dose of nootropics I know to work well - I should have been bouncing off the walls, literally.

Something seems to be up here fellas. I can't imagine this combinaton of ingredients *not* providing at least a caffeine buzz.

BV

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Not good BV you should def be feeling like a million bucks with energy to spare

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
today at work I wasn't feeling too bad and drank a serving with water and still nothing. 2 hours later I took a caffeine pill 200mg and I felt it within minutes...

I'm going to shake the hell out of the container. Maybe the stuff seprated out.