Skinny-Fat Asian's Logs Anafuse!

danielcho

Awards
Let me first introduce myself....
My name's Daniel Cho. I am 18 years old and 5'6 at 155 pounds. I live in Round Rock, Texas and will attend Texas A&M once I graduate high school.

I have been training for 5 years. For many years I focused on power lifting falsely believing that strength = size. My gym PR's are a 400 lb squat, 245 lb bench press, 175 lb overhead press, and a 490 lb sumo deadlift. I ran many effective power lifting programs like Candito's 6 week program with great strength results....but nothing more than that. Now I'm putting my focus on what I really want, an aesthetic physique.
My only goal is to simply have a ripped core with some noticeable muscle on my upper body.

So here's my situation....
I suffer from having crap genetics. I am skinny fat. Even as a complete beginner, I've never really seen significant gains.

I go off to college in 7 months....
I lack confidence and a lot of it is due to my body. I have tree trunk legs with a upper body that resembles a pre-puberty middle school boy/girl.

Lastly, thank you Strong Supplement Shop and Vital Labs for giving me this opportunity to log Anafuse.

I look forward to learning from you all and improving my physique!

danielcho

Awards
Here is my before picture:

Do y'all think I made the right choice to start my bulk Monday?

Or should I continue my cut for a couple more weeks?

I am about 16-18% body fat with pretty much no visible abs so I want to cut but I have like no muscle on my upper body.

danielcho

Awards
Also, does anyone know how to revise a thread title? Writing this all from my phone and I made a pretty bad typo. Haha

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
If you slowly ramp up your calories you might get some nice recomp results.

danielcho

Awards
Hi, do you mind elaborating a bit more?

How would increasing calories slowly cause fat loss?

Isn't a deficit needed for fat loss?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi, do you mind elaborating a bit more? How would increasing calories slowly cause fat loss? Isn't a deficit needed for fat loss?
Nope, there's so many ways to manipulate your diet.

Kat upped her calories, gained muscles, and lost fat. :)

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Following along. Make sure to post the link for this on the contest thread so others can follow along.

danielcho

Awards
Following along. Make sure to post the link for this on the contest thread so others can follow along.
Thank you sir, I'll get to that!

Reason I didn't post it was because I wanted to change the thread title, which would change the link. I'm guessing nobody can change the title?

danielcho

Awards
Currently in the skinny-fat dilemma....again.

Bulk or cut?

I'm leaning towards starting my Anafuse log with a another week of a cut...but I really wanted Anafuse as a "bulk" supplement.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Currently in the skinny-fat dilemma....again.

Bulk or cut?

I'm leaning towards starting my Anafuse log with a another week of a cut...but I really wanted Anafuse as a "bulk" supplement.
You won't need to worry, go for a bulk and Anafuse will help make it a lean bulk.

turff49

turff49

Awards
What is your total caloric intake? Most people don't eat enough to begin with and then eat the wrong foods. So, raising calories can stimulate fat loss. If I eat less than 2500 calories my body does nothing. If I eat 2700-3100 I will have some weight loss and over 3200 I can do a lean bulk.
So, figure what your intake is right now and then calculate "what you should" consume for maint. With that info we can go to the next step.

danielcho

Awards
What is your total caloric intake? Most people don't eat enough to begin with and then eat the wrong foods. So, raising calories can stimulate fat loss. If I eat less than 2500 calories my body does nothing. If I eat 2700-3100 I will have some weight loss and over 3200 I can do a lean bulk.
So, figure what your intake is right now and then calculate "what you should" consume for maint. With that info we can go to the next step.
I maintain at 2400-2600.
I lean bulk at 3000-3200.

danielcho

Awards
Tbh the only ingredient I know on the label is Vitamin D3 lol

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Hi, do you mind elaborating a bit more?

How would increasing calories slowly cause fat loss?

Isn't a deficit needed for fat loss?
I do not know how long you are running this product, but I meant to start the first week, or 2, at maintenance then start adding 100 calories a week. Once you have gained a little under a pound a week, keep your calories there until you gain less than .7 pounds then add another 100 calories the next week. Usually you would only want ~.7 pounds a week, but on this product .9-1 pound a week should be fine.
Slowly adding calories allows you to end up eating more food as your metabolism adjusts and during the time when you are at maintenance and, probably with this product, up to a 200 calories surplus lose some fat.

One supplement I have been very interested in for both bulking and cutting is St. John's Wort. It will not be as powerful as this stuff, but it should give you a bit of a nutrient partitioning effect to enhance it because it makes fat cells more insulin resistant. Lifting and coffee make muscle cells more insulin sensitive. What that means is you have more nutrients going into your muscle cells allowing Anafuse to do its work better.
I am not sure if you are allowed to throw it in or want to, but it is cheap.

Tbh the only ingredient I know on the label is Vitamin D3 lol
Let me tell you a bit about what is in what you are taking.
(-)-Epicatechin- Basically kicks myostatin's a**. Myostatin tells your muscles when to stop growing.
5a-hydroxy- laxogenin- Increases muscle protein synthesis(building muscle) and seems to be very good for joints and connective tissue.
HICA- This is a metabolite of Leucine. Basically it also increases muscle protein synthesis greatly.
Vitamin D- Along with its own benefits it multiply's the effects of Leucine, so I believe it probably does the same for HICA.

Good luck.

danielcho

Awards
Woah, thanks so much for the info, really appreciate it!

danielcho

Awards
Day 1

First day of using Anafuse, pretty pumped to get this finally started! Was it just me or did last week go by really slow?:)

I decided to take one serving for the first week just to be safe and try it out....and because I want the bottle to last a tad bit longer lol

Originally I planned to start right away into my bulk but I'm going to take the recommendation of increasing my calories slowly. Hopefully I see some body recomposition.

I wish I could post more about my macros and what foods I ate but I'm kind of in a hurry. Got two important tests tmrw! Yikes

So basically I'm just tracking my macros on myfitnesspal and eating in a very slight deficit this week.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Day 1

First day of using Anafuse, pretty pumped to get this finally started! Was it just me or did last week go by really slow?:)

I decided to take one serving for the first week just to be safe and try it out....and because I want the bottle to last a tad bit longer lol

Originally I planned to start right away into my bulk but I'm going to take the recommendation of increasing my calories slowly. Hopefully I see some body recomposition.

I wish I could post more about my macros and what foods I ate but I'm kind of in a hurry. Got two important tests tmrw! Yikes

So basically I'm just tracking my macros on myfitnesspal and eating in a very slight deficit this week.
As I said a lot of the ingredients in this product increase muscle protein synthesis, so it is a good idea with this product to go on the high side with protein when it comes to macros. Usually .8-1 g per pound is a good place to be, but I would advise you to try to hit 1.25-1.5g per pound, so 195-235 grams of protein. As you gain weight increase your intake too.
Eating a lot of meat is hard, but if you can get egg white cartons from like costco they are pretty great because it is 50 grams of protein, and personally I feel better drinking it than proteins shake, but I use both.

danielcho

Awards
For my workout program, I decided to jump on Dr.Layne Norton's PHAT as I heard so many great testimonials from the members here and it's high volume.

I had to choose between PHAT and GVT and decided to go with PHAT because Layne's a doctor... and doctors are always right.... lol right?

I just went very light today and will all week. Didn't know what to expect tbh and needed to learn the movements. First time doing so much volume.

Today was the upper body "power" day:
- Rows 3x5 190 lbs Felt nice but I keep swinging/standing up. Probably gonna do Pendlay rows next time
- Pull-Ups 2x10 BW Gotta do like a vertical jump to reach the bar
- Rack Chins 2x10 BW Very easy...probably the only guy that does this at the gym tho
- Flat DB Press 3x5 70 lbs Awkward...Dumbbells were flying up but it feels like an earthquake....
- Dips 2x10 BW Easy...but almost fell backward and died
- Seated DB Press 20th 60 lb I make really attractive faces while doing these.
Curls 3x10 Gang of swole gorillas doing curls next to me....feels bad...but it's okay I got Anafuse
- Skull Crushers 3x10 Are these called elbow poppers? Because that's all I felt

danielcho

Awards
As I said a lot of the ingredients in this product increase muscle protein synthesis, so it is a good idea with this product to go on the high side with protein when it comes to macros. Usually .8-1 g per pound is a good place to be, but I would advise you to try to hit 1.25-1.5g per pound, so 195-235 grams of protein. As you gain weight increase your intake too.
Eating a lot of meat is hard, but if you can get egg white cartons from like costco they are pretty great because it is 50 grams of protein, and personally I feel better drinking it than proteins shake, but I use both.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll up my protein. I only ate 1 gram per lb today.

Are the egg whites cheaper than eggs?

Any other cheap protein sources?

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll up my protein. I only ate 1 gram per lb today.

Are the egg whites cheaper than eggs?

Any other cheap protein sources?
They are around the price of protein shakes, well cheaper than most powders.
They are not cheaper than whole eggs, but I drink them mainly because I do not have the appetite to eat 9 eggs or an extra 6 ounces of chicken. Also I would advise against drinking whole eggs because of the risk of getting sick, egg whites from a carton do not have that risk.

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
Like the look of anafuse. In to see how it goes.

danielcho

Awards
Day 2

Lower Body Power Day
- Low Bar Back Squats 3x5 320 (Beltless) Really cool to have a mirror in front of the rack at my gym. I can judge my squat depth now. I'm used to working out in my garage with no way to tell if I'm hitting depth besides just feeling like it.
- Paused Front Squats 3x10 230 My gym doesn't have a hack squat machine so I decided to do front squats. Felt really light after my back squats.
- Leg Extensions 2x10 Burned like crazy. First time using this machine.
- Stiff Legged Dead lifts 3x8 Personal trainer came over and told me midset that I'm supposed to bend my knees. Had to explain to him I'm not doing deadlifts rn...
- Lying Leg Curl 2x10 Really hit my hamstrings hard. My gym has a ghr but I didn't want to look like an idiot so I chose to just do curls. I'm gonna have to look into how to do ghrs.
- Calf Raises 3x10 Pausing at the bottom and top truly makes this a new exercise....
- Seated Calf Raises 2x10 Legs are dead by now. Not used to this level of volume.. Hamstrings kept cramping so I had to stand up a couple times in the middle of the set. Really frustrated me.

Legs are already sore...next two days are just gonna feel amazing...

Wish me luck walking up the stairs tmrw at school!

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
I'll follow along and offer some tidbits here and there.

If I come across as terse, I apologize. I don't like to mince words.

If you'd like "recomp," I'd suggest moving the majority of your carbs to the meals before your workout and then remain in a carbless state post-workout. This means only chicken/lean beef... you get the picture. No carbs for 8+ hours. If you workout in the evening. Have your shake (preferably ISO) and then go to sleep. Make sure it's a big shake... like 100g of protein and take 2 caps of Anafuse. Then go to sleep. Repeat.

I'd add in some low-impact-steady-state cardio on your off days. Just walk on the treadmill while watching a movie. 60 minutes. No less, no more.

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
It would be great to know how much (-)epi is in this. I have a dislike for prop blends.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
It would be great to know how much (-)epi is in this. I have a dislike for prop blends.
I agree. Everything that is in this product is awesome, but I was wondering what the exact amount of each compound is in it too.

danielcho

Awards
Yesterday's Workout

Day 4 Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy
- Pendlay Rows 6x3 185 Feels way better than regular bent over rows since I use better form and my grip is no longer a problem
- Face Pulls 3x8-12 I decided to do these rather than rack chins
- Cable Rows 3x8-12 I feel the best pump and contraction in this exercise
- Incline Shrugs 3x8-12 60 DB First time doing these. Traps died.
- Close Grip Pulldowns 2x20 Painful pump, felt awesome
- Seated DB Press 3x8-12 60 lb I like dumbbell presses more than military press since my lower back feels no pain
- Upright Rows 3x15 90
- Cable Lateral Raises 6x15-30 I wish I had 3d delts haha Cables feel way better than dbs

danielcho

Awards
Today's Workout

Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day
Speed Squats 6x3 290 Joints kinda hurt...
Hack Squats 3x12
Leg Presses 2x15 Love hack squats and leg press..it's like squatting without the mental fatigue
Leg Extensions 3x20 Had to wait 15 minutes for people to stop using it...
Romanian Deadlifts 3x12 160 Feels more like a gluten exercise than hamstring..I must be doing them wrong?
Lying Leg Curls 2x15 Hate these, feels uncomfortable
Seated Leg Curls 2x15 I prefer seated way over lying.
Straight Leg Calve Raises 4x15 Really felt the contraction and burnnnn
Seated Calf Raises 3x20 Hard to use a heavy weight without your knees taking over

danielcho

Awards
If anyone's wondering, I don't feel any difference from taking Anafuse nor am I gonna lie that I do haha

But it hasn't even been a week and I'm taking the low dose. Not sure sure how long but I'm sure it'll take at least a couple weeks to see it kick in?

And PHAT is going absolutely great. I really look forward to all the workouts.

I plan to up my calories and go into my lean bulk next week.

I'll post my full diet and macros this weekend.

danielcho

Awards
Day 6 Chest and Arms Hypertrophy

Flat DB Presses 6x3 60 Hard to keep shoulders retracted and down...I miss the barbell bench already
Incline DB Presses 3x12* The feeling of your upper chest contracting is indescribable
Chest Press 3x15 Chest pump is real
Incline Cable Flyes 2x20 When I go light, I feel nothing. When I go heavy, I feel my chest working but like my shoulders are about to tear off. Haha
Cambered Bar Preacher Curls 3x12 Never knew how weak my biceps are
Dumbbell Concentration Curls 2x15 Not sure why but I don't really feel the bicep working in this exercise
Spider Curls 2x15 feels so gooood
Tricep Extensions with Bar 3x12 I used a straight but rather than I ez curl bar bcuz someone was using it.....ouch never doing that again
Cable Pressdowns 2x15
Cable Kickbacks 2x20 Triceps are fried by now

danielcho

Awards
Yesterday's Workout

Upper Body Power
- Rows 3x5 195
- Pull-Ups 2x10 15
- Face Pulls 2x10 70
- Flat DB Press 3x5 75
- Dips 2x10 BW
- Seated DB Press 3x10 65
- Curls 3x10 75
- Skull Crushers 3x10 75

Upped the weight in all the exercises! Very little grinding and the weights went up smooth.

danielcho

Awards
Here's my diet:

I'm simply doing IIFYM eating foods like pancakes, pizza, potatoes, rice, tilapia, eggs, nuts, protein shakes, and oats.

My macros are:
- Carbohydrates 510 Grams
- Protein: 190 Grams
- Fat: 70 Grams

I get all my nutritional advice from the content put online by Layne Norton.

Still learning but here are just some of the things I learned:
- Majority of carbs around/after my workout.
- Limit fat pre workout
- 4-5 meals per day with at least 30-40 grams of protein each
- Spacing my meals 3-6 hours in between each other

danielcho

Awards
Also, I noticed stretch marks on my bicep/shoulder area and my lats! :0

First time ever getting them. This is a good thing, right?

Also, this past week I ate in a very slight deficit. I weighed in at 153 pounds, I'm usually 155-156 pounds.

This week and for the next 6-8 weeks I have set my goal to gain mass.

I don't think I should cut since I have such little muscle.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Also, this past week I ate in a very slight deficit. I weighed in at 153 pounds, I'm usually 155-156 pounds.

I wouldn't be cutting right now, especially with the synthesis capabilities of Anafuse. I'd be going to size right now if I were you.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established

The stretch marks are pretty awesome, that is an indicator of growth which is crazy since this past week you have been in a deficit.
Would you say you looked visibly leaner?

On the other side the stretch marks are concerning because that is an indicator that you might not be keeping yourself adequately hydrated.
If that is the case get yourself a gallon jug of some kind and try to down the whole thing twice a day if possible, but once minimum.

Other than that it could be that your skin is not supple enough for the growth, in that case give epsom salt baths a try and put some coconut oil in it, your skin will feel great after and it is great for CNS health.

How much did you decide to increase your calories by over maintenance?

Congrats on the growth!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome workouts man!

danielcho

Awards
The stretch marks are pretty awesome, that is an indicator of growth which is crazy since this past week you have been in a deficit.
Would you say you looked visibly leaner?

On the other side the stretch marks are concerning because that is an indicator that you might not be keeping yourself adequately hydrated.
If that is the case get yourself a gallon jug of some kind and try to down the whole thing twice a day if possible, but once minimum.

Other than that it could be that your skin is not supple enough for the growth, in that case give epsom salt baths a try and put some coconut oil in it, your skin will feel great after and it is great for CNS health.

How much did you decide to increase your calories by over maintenance?

Congrats on the growth!
I don't think there's been any visible changes as in definition of my abs but I feel much fuller and "pumped." (I guess that's the word) Like you know that post workout feel where when you flex you feel the muscle really contract and full? I feel that like everyday now? I noticed it this weekend. Haha.

And thanks for the tip. Never knew stretch marks were affected by hydration. I usually only drink like 6-8 cups of water per day....on a good day.

Would the Epsom salt bath help with muscle growth? Or is it just for stretch marks?

And my maintenance calories are about 2500-2600 and I plan to consume 3,430 calories a day on my bulk. So it's roughly a 800-900 calorie increase.

danielcho

Awards
Tuesday Workout 2/3

Lower Body Power Day
- Low Bar Back Squats 3x5 325 (Beltless)
- Paused Front Squats 3x10 240
- Leg Extensions 2x10
- Stiff Legged Dead lifts 3x8 185
- Lying Leg Curl 2x10
- Calf Raises 3x10
- Seated Calf Raises 2x10

I just felt so motivated and pumped for this workout. Like at school I was in a really good mood the whole day and couldn't wait to go to the gym and lift.

Today's workout felt a lot easier than last week, funny thing is I increased the weight 5-15 pounds on all the exercises and used better form with less rest in between sets.

Kind of hesitant to say this so early but I really feel like my endurance has increased. Too early to say its due to Anafuse but that's how I felt today. Like I just felt like I could workout all day today. Felt like crying as I left the gym.

danielcho

Awards
Forgot to mention, I'll now be taking the full dose during my bulk.

Also, does anyone experience some temporary hearing loss post workout? It started on Monday where after I workout my ears feel stuffed like when you ride an airplane? Could it be because it's been cold? I went to pick up some food at Chick-fil-a and pretty much embarrassed myself by making the cashier repeat everything twice.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
I don't think there's been any visible changes as in definition of my abs but I feel much fuller and "pumped." (I guess that's the word) Like you know that post workout feel where when you flex you feel the muscle really contract and full? I feel that like everyday now? I noticed it this weekend. Haha.

And thanks for the tip. Never knew stretch marks were affected by hydration. I usually only drink like 6-8 cups of water per day....on a good day.

Would the Epsom salt bath help with muscle growth? Or is it just for stretch marks?

And my maintenance calories are about 2500-2600 and I plan to consume 3,430 calories a day on my bulk. So it's roughly a 800-900 calorie increase.
I should say it is definitely muscle growth(well or fat accumulation) that causes the stretching, but drinking enough water helps reduce the chance of getting stretch marks as you grow.

Epsom salt baths do not help directly with muscle growth, but they will help keep your CNS from getting run down which means you can push it harder in the gym. Then if you add in coconut oil, or I guess you could use olive oil too, it is really good for your skin. You would only take one once or twice a week.

If not that just find a good lotion or us coconut oil, and make sure you use it everywhere before bed. Maybe throw some on where your arm-shoulder meet when you get out of the shower too.

I would advise you to consider starting the bulk more towards 3,000-3,100. You can always add calories later. You do not have to go with the super slow approach of adding 200 calories a week, but like I said before, usually you would only want to gain ~.7 pounds a week, but on this product .9-1 pound a week should be your aim. Maybe for the first 2 weeks you could aim to hit 1.5 pounds because it is easier to gain lbm while you are still leaner, but trust me going too hard on a bulk will end up setting you back.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Tuesday Workout 2/3

Lower Body Power Day
- Low Bar Back Squats 3x5 325 (Beltless)
- Paused Front Squats 3x10 240
- Leg Extensions 2x10
- Stiff Legged Dead lifts 3x8 185
- Lying Leg Curl 2x10
- Calf Raises 3x10
- Seated Calf Raises 2x10

I just felt so motivated and pumped for this workout. Like at school I was in a really good mood the whole day and couldn't wait to go to the gym and lift.

Today's workout felt a lot easier than last week, funny thing is I increased the weight 5-15 pounds on all the exercises and used better form with less rest in between sets.

Kind of hesitant to say this so early but I really feel like my endurance has increased. Too early to say its due to Anafuse but that's how I felt today. Like I just felt like I could workout all day today. Felt like crying as I left the gym.
That sounds good. Increased recovery and endurance i would say then already. ha

danielcho

Awards
Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day

Speed Pendlay Rows 6x3 140 lbs
Wide Grip Pull Downs 3x8-12 120 lbs
Face Pulls 3x8-12 70 lbs
Seated Cable Rows 3x8-12 120 lbs
Incline Dumbbell Rows 2x12-15 50 lbs
Close Grip Pulldowns 2x15-20 80 lbs
Seated Dumbbell Press 3x8-12 50 lbs
Upright Rows 2x12-15 95 lbs
DB Lateral Raises 3x12-20 25 lbs
Cable Lateral Raises 3x12-20 20 lbs

Amazing back and shoulder pump today...felt like I could train forever again.

Workouts are going absolutely great, loving it so far!!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Training hypertrophy and hitting shoulders always gives me that shoulder pump! Good workout yesterday.

danielcho

Awards
Yesterdays Workout

Leg Hypertrophy
Speed Squats 6x3 260 Lowered the weight from last week as these are speed squats, I let my ego get the best of me last week by doing 290
Front Squats 3x8-12 185
Leg Press 2x12-15
Leg Extensions 3x15-20
Romanian Deadlifts 3x8-12 160
Seated Leg Curl 2x15-20
Smith Machine Calf Raises 4x10-15
Seated Calf Raises 3x15-20