Classic34's 4-Part Review of USPlabs Protein Powder: A Beta Testi

classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Classic34's Beta Testing Adventure, Starring USPlabs Protein!

Well then, never mind my title...it should end with "A Beta Testing Adventure". After putting in a shorter title it only displays as the post title but not the thread title. Oh well, you all know what this is anyways: USPlabs Protein Beta Testing!

I have four samples to work with: Three samples of "Milk Chocolate Flavor" and one sample of "Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor". Two chocolate samples have gone down so far so I have 2 reviews to throw at you right from the get-go.

I had initially planned to take pics or make a video of the ar***** and opening of the package, but when it arrived in my excitement I tore it open and well, that whole plan ended there.

classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Milk Chocolate Flavor: Trial 1

What flavor did you use today?

Milk Chocolate

How was it Prepared?

Mixed into ~6 oz. water (maybe a bit more, 7ish) using a shaker bottle as per label recommendations. Once mixed I poured it into a glass, so that I could easily see how well it mixed.

On a scale of 1 – 10, How would you rate the initial taste?

This has a very distinct MILK chocolate flavor, just as the name implies. Very good and very true to it's name. My boyfriend was home when I mixed this up and he also sampled it. Both of us agreed that for a lean protein mixed in water, this is just about the best we have tried. Rating: 10

On a scale of 1 – 10, How would you rate the after taste?

Prepared in this way, there was none to speak of. Rating: 10

On a scale of 1 – 10, How would you rate the texture?

The shake was much thicker than expected. I was impressed at the even consistency even with the casein in the formula. Good stuff, I couldn't ask for more from a plain shake in water. Rating: 10

On a scale of 1 – 10, How would you rate the smell?

The smell of the powder reminded me of the milk chocolate boxed cake mix that I ALWAYS used to beg for on my birthday as a child. Rating: 10

On a scale of 1 – 10, How would you rate the mixability?

The shake mixed easily, and when poured into a glass I saw no chunks of powder floating around and there were none left in the shaker that I poured it from. I also did not observe any little powder grains or chunks which sank to the bottom of the glass. One negative event with the mixing was that it foamed up. Maybe I over-mixed it, and I'll mix a little less next time and see if that fixes he problem, but when poured into the glass there was a decently thick layer of foam sitting on the top. I let it sit in the glass for about a minute then swirled it with a spoon and the foam went away. Rating: 8

Did you experience any recovery changes?

N/A. I did not consume this after a workout, or even on a workout day at all. It was simply added to a meal and worked into that day's protein intake.

Would you be interested in using this product in the future?
On the basis that the only negative thing which I could think to comment on was foam which was gone with a minute at rest followed by a quick swirl of the spoon, YES!

Picture time...

Right after pouring into the glass, with foam:

Before you ask yes, that container does contain a layer of oats on the bottom and a layer of dry rice on top. Yes, that was an accident.

View from above for the foamy one:

Problem solved after about a minute at rest and a quick swirl with a spoon:

Empty glass right after drinking. Looking at the residue you can see that there are no chunks clinging to the glass and that this is thicker in texture than your ordinary whey protein:

So far so good. The Milk Chocolate flavor prepared as per label recommendations turned out wonderfully. Wonderful protein in water? Yep, I said it.

classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Milk Chocolate Flavor: Trial 2

Milk Chocolate

How was it Prepared?

Mixed in a bowl, adding amount of water. The amount of water was just enough to make it into a pudding-like consistency. I eat my normal protein powder like this every day. I rarely drink them as a shake anymore.

As with the shake this had a very distinct milk chocolate flavor, but more intense. Very good and very true to it's name. Rating: 10

With the flavor being more concentrated I did notice a slight aftertaste of artificial sweeteners. That doesn't bother me at all because that's what I'm used to. A protein powder sweetened with cane sugar would probably just taste weird to me. While it didn't bother me, I have known plenty of people to be the opposite. I don't know, I can't relate. All I can say is that a flavor other than milk chocolate does seem to linger, but it is not unpleasant. Rating: In terms of what I think other people would have to say - 8. If all that mattered were my own preferences - 9.

As expected, I needed to add significantly more water to the bowl of powder make the pudding than I use with plain, thin mixing, whey protein. The texture as expected was very thick and creamy. Good stuff, those qualities make for some good protein sludge. Rating: 10

Restatement what I wrote about the powder in trial 1: "The smell of the powder reminded me of the milk chocolate boxed cake mix that I ALWAYS used to beg for on my birthday as a child." Moving on from that the smell of the sludge was similar to that of the powder. Imagine the smell of a milk chocolate cake mix right before it goes into the oven. Rating: 10

The consistency was even; I did not notice any chunks. I only mixed it until all of the powder was wet, and then for a couple of stirs beyond that. During the process, chunks did not form and once the water was mixed in it was ready to go. Rating: 10

N/A. I did not consume this post-workout.

Yes indeed!

Picture: Sludge after a good bit of it was eliminated. Ok, maybe most of it. What...I was hungry and did not want to wait to take a picture before digging in!

More to come folks!

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solid reviews so far. We have the same counter top, well slightly off hue

classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor

Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor

How was it Prepared?

Mixed in 7 oz. water using a shaker bottle.

This is not the in-your-face vanilla flavor that I expected. I really like it, it's like a light vanilla with a hint of cheesecake. Rating: 10

None to speak of! Rating: 10

Just like the first shake I made with Milk Chocolate Flavor, the shake was very think, yet even throughout with no clumps. Rating: 10

It smelled sort of like instant pudding mix. Who doesn't like pudding? Rating: 10

The first time that I shook up a sample I over shook it and created a good bit of foam. This time knowing how well this protein mixes, I just gave it a few quick shakes and poured it into the glass, no foam. It looks like that problem was user error! Rating: 10

As soon as I can get my hands on it, both flavors!

Pic after mixing. With just a few shakes it was perfectly mixed and there was no foam, just some bubbles around the side.

After drinking. It reminds me of a stained glass window. No chunks left!

And then there was one... Only one sample remains, Milk Chocolate Flavor. The plan? Unsweetened vanilla almond milk!

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor

Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor

How was it Prepared?

Mixed in 7 oz. water using a shaker bottle.

This is not the in-your-face vanilla flavor that I expected. I really like it, it's like a light vanilla with a hint of cheesecake. Rating: 10

None to speak of! Rating: 10

Just like the first shake I made with Milk Chocolate Flavor, the shake was very think, yet even throughout with no clumps. Rating: 10

It smelled sort of like instant pudding mix. Who doesn't like pudding? Rating: 10

The first time that I shook up a sample I over shook it and created a good bit of foam. This time knowing how well this protein mixes, I just gave it a few quick shakes and poured it into the glass, no foam. It looks like that problem was user error! Rating: 10

As soon as I can get my hands on it, both flavors!

Pic after mixing. With just a few shakes it was perfectly mixed and there was no foam, just some bubbles around the side.

After drinking. It reminds me of a stained glass window. No chunks left!

And then there was one... Only one sample remains, Milk Chocolate Flavor. The plan? Unsweetened vanilla almond milk!
Man, that stuff looks delicious. 2 more days... Then however long shipping takes

classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Milk Chocolate Flavor: Third and Final TrialWhat flavor did you use today?Milk Chocolate FlavorHow was it Prepared?Mixed in ~8.5 oz. unsweetened vanilla almond milk using a shaker bottle.On a scale of 1 – 10, How would you rate the initial taste?Ok, wow. Life. Changing. Flavor and Texture. Super think, which is why I used 8.5 oz. rather than 7 oz like I did with water. I am highly impressed, and I highly recommend that all of you other beta testers give this a shot. Rating: 10, is 11 allowed?On a scale of 1 – 10, How would you rate the after taste?None! Rating: 10On a scale of 1 – 10, How would you rate the texture?Very thick, like a half melted chocolate milkshake. Rating: 10On a scale of 1 – 10, How would you rate the smell?Just as good as before, smells like boxed chocolate cake or muffin mix. Rating: 10On a scale of 1 – 10, How would you rate the mixability?In almond milk I had to shake it up a little more than I did with water, but the good news is that with almond milk less foam forms, so it all works out. Once it was thoroughly shaken it was completely mixed. Rating: 10Did you experience any recovery changes?N/A. I did not consume this post-workout.Would you be interested in using this product in the future?Yes. All of them. All of the protein tubs...belong to me. I don't plan on sharing. :)Pics!Almond milk, 30 cal/8 oz., vanilla flavor, a few grams of good fat/serving. Can't beat it.
This is right after mixing and pouring. Not much for foam or bubbles. In the first pic you can tell how thick it is by noticing how it clings to the side of the glass on the edges.
After drinking, no chunks to be seen.

classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Saved the best for last? I didn't have any almond milk, I'll be fixing that here shortly.
Do it. When I said it was life changing, I meant it. Whey in water will never be the same. I was just drinking it like "Is this even real right now?"

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do it. When I said it was life changing, I meant it. Whey in water will never be the same. I was just drinking it like "Is this even real right now?"
I'm with you. Milk Chocolate in unsweetened vanilla almond milk was seriously unbelievable.