Bolt, X-gels, and the Reactive Quest for Strength

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Been a little while since I have hit up a log. Got 2 100ct bottles of SNS X-gels (was actually like a b-day present when it arrived last week) and have been struggling to hold off using them so far. I actually looked back at my old AM logs and really think I was delusional about my weight back in the day. I was fat compared to myself now...but I am so light lately but bigger. Scale makes no sense. :eek:

Supplements​

Those who know me I am pretty methodical with my supplementation but probably a little overboard quite often. I just did a whole week plus of no training and no supplements (zero not even fish oil) after my competition just for more of a mental break than anything. Felt odd not popping any pills but w/e. Going to try and keep this relatively tame other than the X-gels (focus of the log).

Staple-like products (used for entire duration of log):
Aqua Red: 3 pills per day with final meal. May opt out of taking them on days I eat some fatty fish.
Cissus XT: 4 caps per day (not a regular staple but trying to be preventative for now).
MAN Clout (ALCAR version): 1 scoop upon waking. This will be the last of my stash of this. Using for all the benefits of the ALCAR, NAC, Mag., plus the other goodies in it (use those regularly so it is convenient all in one).
SAN Dr. Feel-Good: 4-8 caps upon waking. Not sure the last time I even took a multi, but got some of this in a trade and the cognitive ingredients intrigued me, hoping it will give a nice morning boost with the ALCAR and maybe help me hold off some stim use for morning time.
Gut Health: 1 cap with last meal of the day.
Finally sunny and warm (most days) so I will try to get plenty of sunlight but may take some VitD if I don't make it out much.

The Good Stuff:
SNS X-gels w/Glycergrow and Carnitine: 2g pre-workout. Going either PLCAR until out of my SNS then either ALCAR or LCLT.
~Weeks 1-4: Omega Sports Burn24. Was using this the month prior to my break and planned to continue it for this log. 2 caps before 3 meals per day.

Current Pre-workout Brew:
This will make more sense after I lay out the training as they will be used based on that (at least it gives me a nice way to take a break from each ;) ).
Weeks 1: Got a bunch of samples I need to try and should probably review. Since the X-gels won't really kick in in the first week or so I don't feel it should be too confounding. Have Athletix stim and non-stim samples and SAN Fierce I will definitely try and maybe some SAN Launch powder (wish it was pills tho).
Volume Blocks: Enhanced at 1-2 scoops, usually 1.5. For the pumps and endurance bros (combined with the ArA and GMS I might blow up).
Intensity Blocks: App Nut Uncut. 2-3 caps, usually 2. Change it up and for the strength bros, also need to put up a final review before dewey disowns me.
Will also be having ~5g Leucine mixed in with whatever I am taking as well.

So seems like a lot but once the ArA kicks in I will be using only Enhanced or Uncut + GMS/Leucine/Carnitine and have used them all extensively together before so shouldn't be too confounding on variables.

**As usual I am addicted to Alphamine and will TRY to avoid morning doses of it for as long as possible, but I will probably give in eventually.

Writing that all out sounds like a ton. Any suggestions to cut anything out I'll listen to but idk if I will abide. :(

Background​

Hasn't been too long since my last log so not a ton for in here. I competed in April in my first Powerlifting competition and LOVED it. Going to focus on competing again as my main objective for now.

The comp was kind of last minute for me but figured I needed to stop making excuses. I was in the middle of a cut so I am currently around 160-165lbs (was 160lbs with no food in me the morning of the meet but a ton of guys said the scale seemed light, but you know no one wanted to complain about that). So numbers weren't huge improvements over where I have been but definitely improvements at that bodyweight (minus my horrible benching experience, I don't want to talk about it....):
Bench: 205lbs
Squat: 385lbs
DL: 415lbs
Have vid of all but the bench. Somehow missed my only good (or passing since it was so poor) attempt at the meet. Went 7/9 so made everything else.

Lifting​

Spent the time off finalizing some Reactive Training Systems reading. Been wanting to give it a go for awhile but wanted to finish up some Cube and do the meet first. While I really liked the Cube and 531 the stuff in the RT Manual really hits a certain part of me that just makes sense to me. It is kind of the way I already feel about some things and do them so it kind of reinforced certain thoughts. Either way this first two weeks will be a transitional period before what will probably be a volume block to really start (finalizing exact details right now). I am doing the first two weeks of a John Meadows program I own just for the complete change of pace, to do something totally different from my last year of training, and prepare for starting RT. The ArA probably won't kick in until sometime next week anyway so just biding my time until then and getting some conditioning up.

Weeks 1-2:
Monday: Chest/Shoulders
Tuesday: GPP/Prehab/Off
Wednesday: Back
Thursday: Gpp/Prehab/Off
Friday: Arms
Saturday: Legs/Off/GPP
Sunday: Legs/Off/GPP

Saturday and Sunday are going to change depending on availability. Will edit changes when programming shifts.

Diet​

The usual. Currently around ~2900 on training days (~225g PRO/~275g CHO/~90g FAT) and 2500 on off days (225g PRO/175g CHO/100g FAT) or something close to that. Most of the carbs come at night and post workout. Usually busy almost all day long so kind of save up to load up on a big meal at night when I can actually cook something nice and not be on the go.

Goals:​

Strength is the main goal for now. I have run ArA extensively and usually use it as a body comp potentiator, so focusing on its strength effects should be interesting. It does tend to do this but on a full strength program I am interested to fully measure things.
-Also want to keep body fat and weight to moderate increases (~2lbs per month of weight gain is the goal). I want strength to be more than just increasing with the weight gain if possible. Not going to limit calories if I feel they needed to be increased for added recovery but I never really shovel food down for the sake of it anyways.
-Have used countless ArA bottles so seeing how this works I should have an idea, but always nice to have it fully written and logged for tracking purposes.

Phew....always a task when I start up a log and hope that covers everything. Pics will be kept but may not get posted. Full aesthetic improvement isn't the driving factor so more than likely videos of improvements in lifts will be thrown up and if it really astounds me THEN pics will follow. Feel free to harrass me if I missed something, otherwise here we go!

Reactions: mw1
bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Saved for Midpoint and Final Reviews.

Reactions: mw1
kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed and excited for this :D

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed and excited for this :D
Figured you'd be first in here. Thanks for joining! First Mt Dog workout experience coming up after I make my last meal of the day with a Breezy inspired protein ice cream.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Subbed,killer start to the log!

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
In before Ben. Hehe

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Figured you'd be first in here. Thanks for joining! First Mt Dog workout experience coming up after I make my last meal of the day with a Breezy inspired protein ice cream.
I'm going to be doing some Mt Dog training here soon also. Have been doing a few exercies of Mt Dog and really loving them, so I figured I would like the whole program.

I still have yet to get my ice cream the way breezy get it :(

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm going to be doing some Mt Dog training here soon also. Have been doing a few exercies of Mt Dog and really loving them, so I figured I would like the whole program.

I still have yet to get my ice cream the way breezy get it :(
I don't know how to really transfer it off my Kindle and not sure if I totally would since the program was one of the books EliteFTS does for charity (I bought it and donated extra because I am a softie at heart) but I have a very nice laid out 12 week program (I am using weeks 1-2 for this log). If you need input or want some of the weeks let me know man and I can try to see what I can do.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know how to really transfer it off my Kindle and not sure if I totally would since the program was one of the books EliteFTS does for charity (I bought it and donated extra because I am a softie at heart) but I have a very nice laid out 12 week program (I am using weeks 1-2 for this log). If you need input or want some of the weeks let me know man and I can try to see what I can do.
For sure, that would be great if you could do that :). Really would give me some more helpful information on Mt Dog.

I read everything online about Mt Dog (breezy sent me some links) but would be very interested to read more on it/ see a laid out program of it.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For sure, that would be great if you could do that :). Really would give me some more helpful information on Mt Dog.

I read everything online about Mt Dog (breezy sent me some links) but would be very interested to read more on it/ see a laid out program of it.
I will write out each of the workouts for weeks 1-2 in this log and then if you want more just PM me and I'll see what I can do. Honestly the good stuff doesn't kick in really until week 4 but I won't get that far with it unfortunately. Maybe one day!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In! Nice start bolt.

If you ever have that MD program available, I'm still interested for whenever my next official run is.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will write out each of the workouts for weeks 1-2 in this log and then if you want more just PM me and I'll see what I can do. Honestly the good stuff doesn't kick in really until week 4 but I won't get that far with it unfortunately. Maybe one day!
Sounds good man :veryhappy:

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In. I've always wondered about these mythical X-Gels.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In4 Powerlifting and XGels.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Multi quote bugging out on me so thanks to all joining in so far. I'll hit you up Breezy when I get a chance.

April 29:​

Honestly I have been swamped the last week with a ton of personal (some awesome some completely horrible) stuff this past week. Seemed a great time to take a week off from lifting. Was very eager to get in the gym today and it was kind of rough despite the low volume (but I haven't done a body part split in.....a year?). Also moving in to a new place and all that good stuff so very excited about things right now.

Went to the gym around 2pm today. Had some good food in me and decided to go with Clout + Enhanced + ArA + GMS + Leucine for today's lift. Went with 1 scoop Enhanced as I didn't feel need for a lot of stim and just wanted a nice boost. Still almost kicked my ass after a full week off any supplements what so ever.

Training:​
Mt Dog Chest and Shoulders:

Chest:
1) Incline Hammer Press: Warmed up for a couple sets. 180lbs for 12, 10, 8, and 6 reps with stretch at the bottom and ~1-1.5minutes rest between sets.
2) Incline DB Press: Warmed up for two sets of 6. 55lbs for 8 x 2 with stretch at bottom and controlled tempo up and down. ~1-1.5minutes rest between sets.
3) Barbell Bench Press: No warm up (crazy pumped at this point). 135lbs for 15 reps x 2. All the way down to chest and up to 3/4 with no lockout. 1 minute rest between sets. First set was fine but burned like hell second set was rough.
4) Stretch Pushups: Feet Elevated and hands on risers. 2 sets to failure. Not exactly sure on reps one was over 12 the second was under 10 lol. Chest was on fire and I held for a pause a the bottom stretched out.
Shoulders:
1) Standing Side Lateral Raise: 4 sets 8 reps. Increased weight on each set until 8 was hard then stopped and called it 4 sets.
2) Seated Machine Side Lateral Raise: 4 sets 30, 25, 20, 15. 2 minutes rest between sets. Shoulder pump was insane. 30 reps was forever.
3) Wide Overhead Press: 3 sets 12 reps. Not going to lie my shoulders were shot by here so I squeaked by with the empty bar. :(

Ok endurance was definitely down after a lay off. That coupled with me not used to body part splits (despite the low volume) left me crushed. Worst workout in forever so only place to go is up! I did have a crazy pump and am already sore but I really didn't push the weights today. Still want to save myself for when the good stuff starts but it was a decent start to the week. Better than no lifting at all last week that is for sure.

Diet:​
Going to hit my goals from above after my next meal. Fats are higher than usual right now because I was pretty sedentary last week but will slowly bump up CHO and drop FAT as things progress (closer to my usual macros soon).

Supplement Notes:​
-Not much to report. Day 1. Enhanced was strong at 1 scoop after a break and the ALCAR in Clout seemed to get me focusing nicely.
-I feel soft after a week of nothingness but probably in my head. After my lift veins for days and felt much better. :D
-The 4 caps DFG with Clout actually hit me pretty hard. I noticed reading emails on my phone that I zoned in on it and everything else was blurry. I missed ALCAR and Choline together. Nice combo to start.

Total side note but eating some protein ice cream. Been addicted since I made some last week. I may have to get some food pics up in here even though I am not very creative and eat a lot of the same stuff. ;)

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome start to the log :D. Glad to hear things are going good for you(except for the horrible stuff obviously) and congrats on the new place and everything.

What flavor ice cream did you make?

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for your take on the ArA.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome start to the log :D. Glad to hear things are going good for you(except for the horrible stuff obviously) and congrats on the new place and everything.

What flavor ice cream did you make?
Giant Sports PBC. That and XF Vanilla are my two favorites for the ice cream currently. Almost out of the CPB tho so I need to buy more! Also have no Quest Bars to be like Breezy but will grab some tomorrow and make my own blizzard imitation soon. :D

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for your take on the ArA.
In. I've always wondered about these mythical X-Gels.
Ha multi quote working again! I wanted to address this because typically I love this stuff on higher volume approaches (similar to what my first two weeks in this log will be). That has always worked well from a hypertrophy and recomp level with ArA for me so testing it out on a more powerlifting style approach should be very interesting. I did use some with ABE a couple months ago and I was doing some powerlifting stuff then too but this will be with mostly just X-gels and a much more regimented training approach (less trying out stuff and more just doing what I need now).

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The pwr lifting side is where I am most interested.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
My friend, I had a hectic day yesterday but I'm here now!! In for epicness!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solid workout bolt. No rush on trying to get the program for me. The additional RP stuff should keep me busy for a while.

Giant Sports PBC. That and XF Vanilla are my two favorites for the ice cream currently. Almost out of the CPB tho so I need to buy more! Also have no Quest Bars to be like Breezy but will grab some tomorrow and make my own blizzard imitation soon. :D
XF LCP was my favorite until last night's batch. I still haven't tried it with a LCP Quest Bar though. VCB Protean is a good base for a "blizzard" too. :)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely in!!!!

- Valdez

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I'm in! Curious as to xfactor and strength
Stronger and more efficient than the "Advanced" version, and better bang for the buck than the Original version :).

Hope you enjoy the log! Bolt is a top notch logger and has a magnificent physique and strength numbers to showcase even more how Xgels shines over the competition!

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed! Started my X Gels on Sunday and already am getting epic pumps.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for all the subs....I'll toss up a daily reflection later but looks like I won't have time for GPP/Prehab today as I have a pretty full plate of work tonight. Still might try though!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Day 2- April 30:​

I slept horribly last night for some reason. I woke up like 5 times had some really weird nightmare (that wasn't scary but I woke up like it was lol) and just tossed and turned all night. Happens every so often and probably completely random. I also woke up with some insane DOMS in the chest, and moderate shoulder and triceps DOMS.

Got up and ran around doing work all morning long. Came home and then went back to work. Blah blah blah. ;)

GPP/Prehab/Off

I was sore and tired so I didn't feel the need to force myself into doing something. Still did a whole series of mobilization work and foam rolling followed by some bodyweight ITYWs and some push ups just to get some blood into the sore muscles. Took a contrast shower and feel really good now. I probably should have just done all that and woken up earlier to do it than at night because I feel great now...and didn't all day long.

About to hit 2500 with this next meal. I don't usually miss my macro goals. One note is that I have been Gluten free for awhile. I tried it and while it doesn't really seem to be different I just hardly buy foods with Gluten anymore. Still occasional cereal or bagel or tortilla or w/e in a meal eating out but have found a love for all things non-gluten. :cool:

-No X-gels today as I don't take them unless I am training.
-DFG + Clout didn't give me the crazy tunnel vision of yesterday but I do get a nice morning pick up even without the caffeine. Paired with caffeine I bet it would be real nice.
-All my other staples were taken as usually listed.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol reading your OP I saw the part about Dewey and I think he might have disowned me....

I was gonna start a log for the product he got me for the "testify and win" promo in early April but had that RC sprain and then didn't hit the gym for a week....

Should be starting it this week though lol.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The nights of tossing and turning really are horrible. My body temperature was insanely high last night so I woke up in the middle of the night and turned the fan on and opened the windows.

I never have tried the gluten free thing but then again never have really thought about it either.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol reading your OP I saw the part about Dewey and I think he might have disowned me....

I was gonna start a log for the product he got me for the "testify and win" promo in early April but had that RC sprain and then didn't hit the gym for a week....

Should be starting it this week though lol.
Ya my mini log kinda just stopped. :(

The nights of tossing and turning really are horrible. My body temperature was insanely high last night so I woke up in the middle of the night and turned the fan on and opened the windows.

I never have tried the gluten free thing but then again never have really thought about it either.
Ya I wouldn't worry about the Gluten stuff unless you think you have an issue. I just did a month without it to see how it was from more of a psychological perspective and having to avoid it and look for alternatives, etc. I never really ate a ton of it before anyways though.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya my mini log kinda just stopped. :(

Ya I wouldn't worry about the Gluten stuff unless you think you have an issue. I just did a month without it to see how it was from more of a psychological perspective and having to avoid it and look for alternatives, etc. I never really ate a ton of it before anyways though.
For sure. I don't really consume much of it either.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im in, ill be running this soon!

Mike

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Day 3- May 1:​

Sleep was amazing last night and I woke up very refreshed. Glad it didn't go for a couple of days. Today was a lot of work and reading so far but not as busy as yesterday and should have some time tonight to actually chill (and hit the comic book store...it is Wednesday!).

I took a sample of Athletix new pre-workout non-stim product and didn't want to confound too many things so just took that sample with 2g ArA. No GMS or Carnitine because I wanted to see exactly how the sample effected me (since they were nice enough to send it) and in the grand scheme of things shouldn't be too much of an issue with my X-gels.

Mt Dog Back:

1)DB Rows: 8 reps x 3 sets @ 100lbs. Went heavier than usual on these after several warm up sets, just trying to move some good weight but still got a real solid contraction and stretch on each rep.
2)Meadows Rows: 10 reps x 3 sets @ 75lbs. Don't do these too often but kept them light with short rest really focusing on the contraction. Took a set or two at lighter weight to get the feel then proceeded with these three sets.
3)Deadlifts: 10 reps x 1 set @ 275lbs. This called to work up to a weight that would feel like a decently heavy triple and do ten reps, taking a step back and resetting after each rep (kind of like rest pause or how I did my Cube Method DE deads). I didn't really get very heavy on these as I didn't want to push it on this currently but it felt cool with how pumped my back was at the time.
4)Stretchers: 12 reps x 3 sets @75lbs. Tried 90 but I couldn't get the right leverage for my lightweight self so went with 75lbs. Crazy pump and great stretch at the top of each rep. I really like this exercise just not the particular lat pulldown I used this day.

Overall not very high volume but I got a very solid pump and hit my back very well. Felt really good and my shoulders felt awesome afterwards (they felt a little off after all the pressing on Monday for some reason, nothing major).

Should hit 3000 no problem. Going to a BBQ so some burgers sound like a good idea tonight. :D

-2g on the X-gels today. Still not much to note as only the second day of dosing, but vascularity and pump were great (probably mostly the Athletix sample which I will be reviewing soon).
-DFG + Clout then some studying before morning work was a solid combo. No stims today but energy was really good and mind was clear.
-All my other staples were taken as usually listed again.

I am getting pretty excited for the workout change up coming after next week and hoping the ArA starts to kick in a little next week as that plus the small addition to volume should be nice. Grabbed some CCCD Quest Bars yesterday and they are already almost gone. :)

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice session bolt. I know what you mean with the stretchers. If you don't use the right pulldown machine, they just don't work out right. I can't get a full stretch before the weight stack bottoms out on some of them.

I'm trying to limit myself to 2 CCCD bars a day. The only reason I can pull it off is because I have the PB cups as well lol.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Solid workout bolt :D

Not very happy right now that you get to BBQ and cook some burgers. Freakin snowed here again last night and got like 3-4 inches :damnit:.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Already popped our first 100 degree day here. Going to be a hot summer. 8(

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Already popped our first 100 degree day here. Going to be a hot summer. 8(
holy crap! at least it's dry heat

I'm still stuck wearing a watertight drysuit at work

I gotta get me some meadows rows in this weekend

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to incorporate Meadows in a Kroc style set up starting next week.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Beast bolt

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Spaniard?? Watching a lot of Gladiator these days? Lol
Lol yea man! I changed a few things around for a military program I'm putting a packet in for. I'll essentially have my MS in half the time if I get accepted so I'm pulling out all the stops. Is that ok with you AZ?

Are you not entertained?!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BigGame84 Supplements 17
The Solution Supplements 9
Supplements 49
klpfitness Supplements 5
Supplement Auction 3