Dewey99 kicks a$$ and takes names with Hemavol and Compete

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
I want to start by thanking VaughnTrue and the iForce crew for setting me up with this log of Hemavol and Compete. I am sick of excuses and ready to make some drastic changes in my life, and this log is going to help me through it. Before we get started, here is some background about me:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 248 lbs.
Estimated BF - 28%

Training: I have lifted and played competitive softball off and on for the last 20 years. A few years ago I suffered a major knee injury and that led to a series of surgeries that kept me out of the gym for about a year and a half. My body completely went to crap. In February of 2012, I started training regularly again and got my diet in check. I had ballooned up close to 300 lbs., so I busted my ass and got down to around 225 by mid-August.

Unfortunately in my haste to get back in shape, I went too hard, too fast and tore my labrum in my left shoulder where the biceps tendon attaches. I needed surgery and ended up going under the knife at the end of August. I couldn't work out or even do cardio for the first month because any elevation in my heart rate resulted in excruciating pain in my shoulder. I wore a sling around for 6 weeks, including having to wear it to the Olympia expo.

Five months later and I still can't do any upper-body lifting. I got depressed for a while and stopped doing much of anything, while at the same time I started eating anything that looked or sounded good. I gained a ton of fat and lost a $hitload of muscle. I have rededicated myself to getting in shape and have been lifting and doing cardio regularly for the last couple weeks as well as reigning in my diet.

This is what my training plan looks like right now:

Legs: 3 days per week (2 low weight/high rep and 1 heavy weight/lower reps)
Cardio: 2-3 times per week. I have a recumbent bike at home and do 45 minute sessions on that while I watch TV.
Shoulder rehab: Band work and stretching 6-7 days per week

Diet: This is still a work in progress, but I am shooting for 2600 calories and 250 grams of protein each day.

Goals for this log:

1. Lose 15 lbs. in the next 30 days, while trying to spare lean mass as much as possible.
2. Get BF down to 24% in next month.
3. Rehab shoulder to the point that I can begin some form of upper body work.

I think Hemavol and Compete fit right into achieving my goals. I am beta testing a fat burner right now, so I prefer a pwo without stims and Hemavol is the gold standard in that department. I have used Hemavol in the past and it really improves the quality of my workouts. Compete is a product I have been wanting to try for a long time and I am excited for what it might be able to do to improve my endurance and recovery. Recovery is going to be essential as often as I work legs and the increased cardio that I will be adding. All of this is very taxing on my legs and body in general and I am hoping Compete can help me through it.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In it to win it. We're all behind your quest buddy!

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards

So, here are the goods. You can see above that I received a tub of Watermelon Hemavol and Lemon Drop Compete. I probably mixed up my request, but I intended to go with Tangerine Compete (keep hearing it's the $hit) and Lemon Drop Hemavol. Either way, I'm sure they are great and was excited to get started.

For the first day, I went with one scoop of each and made a 24oz. WaterLemon concoction. You can see i there in the picture. I have to say that it was an odd pairing taste-wise, but certainly not terrible. I drank the shake right before I left work for the gym, which gave me about 35 minutes before I was actually warming up. I took a second shaker with one scoop of the Lemon Drop Compete to use intra-workout.

Here is an overview of last night's volume leg workout workout:

20 minute warmup on treadmill
Leg press: 4 sets of 15 reps
Hack Squat: 4 sets of 15 reps
Leg Extensions: 4 sets of 20 reps and 1 set of 15 reps
Standing hamstring curls: 3 sets of 15 reps
Seated calf raises: 4 sets of 15 reps
Hip abduction/adduction: 3 sets of 25 reps for each

This is a typical light weight/high rep day for me. I try to vary the exercises a bit, but can't so any squats or weight lunges as of now due to my left shoulder.

My initial impressions of the stack were favorable. I didn't have insane pumps (other than in my calves), but they were increased for sure. Endurance was good as I got through the high volume workout with short rest periods of 45-60 seconds between sets. It was nice to have the Compete to sip on during my workout as I was sweating quite a bit last night and it was refreshing.

It's too early to tell, but I'm not terribly sore as of this morning. That's going to be key as much as I will be working legs.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Thanks guys! I appreciate the support and am sure I will need it.

I am toying with posting a starting pic that I took a couple weeks ago. It's embarrassing as fuq, but it is what it is...
It will show your hard work and progress a lot more.Nothing to be embarassed of at all bro.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
in for the ride :) going to make some epic gains in this log, I can just tell :D

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks guys! I appreciate the support and am sure I will need it.

I am toying with posting a starting pic that I took a couple weeks ago. It's embarrassing as fuq, but it is what it is...

as embarassing as the before pic might seem.....all the more impressive the after pic will look!!!

hell, save the before pic and use it as motivation...then post before and after pics at same time side by side!!!

fumoney

fumoney

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In.

Good luck Dewey. I am sure you will achieve your goals.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Been waiting for this log to start. In for the ride.

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
in for the ride :) going to make some epic gains in this log, I can just tell :D
as embarassing as the before pic might seem.....all the more impressive the after pic will look!!!

hell, save the before pic and use it as motivation...then post before and after pics at same time side by side!!!
In.

Good luck Dewey. I am sure you will achieve your goals.
Been waiting for this log to start. In for the ride.
Thanks guys. I didn't plan on lifting tonight but now you guys have me wanting to go hit the gym. I do have that Hemavol and Compete at home calling my name.

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In...

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Man, a lot of pressure here! I did post my first workout in post two of the thread, but was going to give an update this morning.

I decide against lifting again last night since I was still a little sore from Wednesday night's workout and need to be ready for back-to-back leg days this weekend. Instead, I mixed up one scoop of Lemon Drop Compete in 20 oz. of water and did some cardio. I own a nice recumbent bike and I like to watch TV shows and ride it. It's nice because a one hour TV show is usually close to 45 minutes after you fast forward commericals.

So last night I rode the bike on a hill program (levels 3-9 and back down) for 45 minutes while watching Justified. I find watching good shows makes the time fly and cardio much less boring. The Compete by itself was super tasty. It reminded me of these:

It was awesome to have a refreshing drink like that to sip on during my cardio session. I was sweating quite a bit too, so the extra electolytes were very welcome.

And last but not least. This is for all the men and footballs fans out there:

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solid show choice during cardio. :D

I think the LD is my favorite Compete flavor. Stuff is legit.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
beanbag shotgun shells, i think i would have just shot out his knee caps with a freakin deer slug!!!!

i knew the dude wasn't gonna kill the hooker!!!!

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Friday was an off day for me. No lifting or cardio, and dinner at Red Lobster didn't do my diet any favors.

Saturday morning is time for fasted lifting though. I decided to take the Hemavol and Compete separately as the Watermelon/Lemon Drop combo wasn't my favorite. Here is the lineup:

I mixed the Watermelon Hemavol in 16 oz. of water, one scoop of Lemon Drop Compete in 12 ox. of water and the other in 20 ox. of water to take to the gym with me. After drinking all of this, I ended up peeing a couple times at the gym!

Today was another light weight/high volume leg workout like I did on Wednesday night. Sunday's are my heavy leg day since I take Monday's off. Here is what i did today:

10 minute warmup on treadmill
Leg press: 4 sets of 15 reps
Hack Squat: 4 sets of 15 reps
Unweighted lunges: 25 per leg
Leg Extensions: 4 sets of 20 reps
Seated hamstring curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
Calf machine: 4 sets of 20 reps
Hip abduction/adduction: 3 sets of 25 reps for each

I finished with 4 sets of 25 reps on the Ab-bench. I only used 15 lbs. on that.

Endurance was good today and pumps were improved from Wednesday. I was happy with the amount of volume I was able to get in, especially in light of the fact that I had to hold back a little for tomorrow's heavy leg day. Sipping on the Compete during my workout is a nice treat and since I usually workout fasted it seemed like drinking it gave me a nice boost in the gym.

Taste note: Compete tastes way better to me in more water. It is too sweet for me in 12 oz.

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
Solid looking leg workout! Lots of volume there, glad you have Compete on hand to keep your endurance up and Hemavol to get that blood flowing for all the work.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
24 oz seems to be a pretty good amount for the Compete. I might have to play around with the dosing protocol a bit because there's a lot of water to suck down with this stack, but extra water isn't always a bad thing!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree. Competes flavoring is STRONG. I beta tested it and 2 scoops intra, there wasn't a big enough shaker to water that down lol!

I use the tangerine but have been thinking about branching out for FP on my next order. TT was my favorite of the three when testing so its all I've bought since.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree. Competes flavoring is STRONG. I beta tested it and 2 scoops intra, there wasn't a big enough shaker to water that down lol!

I use the tangerine but have been thinking about branching out for FP on my next order. TT was my favorite of the three when testing so its all I've bought since.
Tangerine is amazing. That flavor is incredible. I too have used all the flavors and prefer tangerine. Fruit punch wasn't bad either though. It mixed perfectly with alphamine which made my day! :)

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Sunday, 2/3:

Sunday was my heavy leg day, which means less reps and more weight. I kept my warmup short and optic for some dynamic stretching before my workout. Here's what yesterday's workout looked like:

7 minute warmup on treadmill
10 minutes of dynamic stretching
Leg press: 1 set of 15 reps followed by 3 sets of 8 reps at higher weight
Icarin Super Squat: 2 sets of 10 reps, 1 set of 8 reps
Standing calf raises (super sets with Super Squats on Icarin machine): 3 sets of 15 reps
Leg extensions: 3 sets of 10 reps
Standing hamstring curl: 3 sets of 8 reps

3 sets of 25 reps on Ab-Bench to finish off.

Supplements used:

1 scoop of Watermelon Hemavol and 1 scoop of Lemon Drop Compete right before I left for the gym.
1 scoop of Compete intra-workout
2 pills of beta fat burner

I was trying not to use any other supps before my workouts, but I was dragging yesterday and wanted to have some energy for my heavy leg day. This was the first time I used anything besides just Hemavol and Compete and it was just to boost my energy levels.

Sunday's workout was solid and I am sore today. Not as bad as I usually am though, so Compete must be helping me there. I felt nice and strong yesterday and was able to push more weight than I have been in a while. I am still trying to get back in the swing of things, but it felt good to see that things are moving in the right direction.

I was further encouraged to see the 49ers lose the Super Bowl last night!

Diet:

I shouldn't even bother mentioning diet right after talking about the Super Bowl. I ate like crap yesterday and I paid for it on the scale today. I am up 7 lbs. since Friday morning, but I know a lot of that is just due to the insane amount of sodium I consumed yesterday. I am hopeful that my weight will normalize over the next few days so I can get back to cutting down.

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
It's always good to load up on calories from time to time while dieting, no major setback. :)

Glad to see Compete is helping with recovery!

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
2/6 update:

No lifting since Sunday, but I haven't been resting either. As of Monday, I have entered a 4-week Fitness Challenge that our organization does every year. Employees from all across the county compete on teams for our perpetual trophy and bragging rights. This Fitness Challenge is meant to award points for people exercising, eating right, and making healthy lifestyle changes. It is not meant to be hardcore and it centers more around cardio than anything else. There is a small group that takes it very seriously and competes fiercely. I am in that group and I plan on winning both the team and individual competitions.

Here is a look at the point chart so you can see what I am will be focusing my efforts on over the next 4 weeks:

I will still lift three times per week and in addition will do 2-3 hours of cardio per day and possible more as the competition wears on. I realize that this isn't the best approach to losing weight, but when you see my before picture you will realize that it had to be done.

I will update my workouts for Monday and Tuesday in the next post.

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
I have a spare room at home that I use for exercising while watching TV. This room has a recumbent bike that I bought when rehabbing from knee surgery as well as a small dumbbell set. That exercise bike is where I will log most of my cardio during the next 4 weeks. It's convenient because I can use it early in the morning and then again late in the evening while I watch TV. From now on, when I say I "rode the bike", this is what I am talking about:

Fitness Challenge, Day 1:

- 1 hour of fasted cardio on the bike, first thing in the AM
- walked one mile during first break at work
- jumped rope for 30 minutes at lunch
- jumped rope for 15 minutes during afternoon break
- jumped rope for 5 minutes as soon as I got home from work
- 45 minutes of cardio in the evening after my last meal.

So, day one included 1 hour and 45 minutes on the bike and 50 minutes of jumping rope. I was beat at the end of the day.

Supplements used: No Hemavol since I wasn't lifting, but I actually used Compete twice. I had one scoop in 20 oz. of water while I did the jump rope during lunch and the other scoop in about 24 oz. of water while I rode the bike in the evening. I needed the extra hydration and I am really hoping the other ingredients like the Carnitines help me recover so I can keep up this pace and even step it up as the weeks go on.

Fitness Challenge, Day 2:

- 60 minutes of fasted cardio on the bike to start my day
- 10 minutes of jump rope before I took my shower
- 15 minutes of jump rope at AM break
- 30 minutes of jump rope at lunch (before I eat)
- 15 minutes of jump rope at PM break
- no exercise in the evening because I went to donate blood right after work

Supplements used: I had just one scoop of Compete during lunch just like yesterday. I am trying to avoid it first thing in the AM so I can stay truly fasted and focused on fat burning. I did feel good when I woke up on Tuesday, so I think Compete is definitely helping with recovery. Usually I am pretty sore at the beginning of the Fitness Challenge, especially from jumping rope. If Compete can help me recover faster I might be able to push myself even harder this year.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
good to see you are so motivated, dewey....now, get er done!!!

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[video=vimeo;28408779]http://vimeo.com/28408779[/video]

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
RIDE THE SNAKE

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Keep grinding big man!!

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How you doing today big man?

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
I have spent all of my free time the last few days exercising, so I apologize for the lack of updates. Let's get you all caught up.

Wednesday (Fitness Challenge Day 3):

- 45 minutes of fasted cardio on the bike to start my day (Hill program)
- 60 minutes on the bike in the evening while I watched The Following on my DVR

Supplements used: Wednesday was a two-scoop day for Compete. I had one scoop immediately after my 30 minute jump rope session at lunch and sipped on another while riding the bike in the evening.

Thursday (Fitness Challenge Day 4):

- 60 minutes of fasted cardio on the bike to start my day
- 60 minute leg workout after work

Leg workout:

5 minute jump rope warmup
50 walking lunges (no weight)
Leg press - 4 sets of 20 reps
Icarin Super Squat - 4 sets of 20 reps
Lying hamstring curls - 4 sets of 15 reps
Leg extensions - 4 sets of 20 reps
Seated calf raises - 4 sets of 20 reps
Adduction/abduction - 4 sets of 25 reps each

Ab-Bench - 4 sets of 25 reps

5 minutes of jump rope to finish off my workout

Notes:

- rest periods were kept to 60 seconds to keep intensity up and focus on fat burning
- I was pleasantly surprised that my legs weren't shot after going so much cardio over the last few days. Recovery has exceeded my expectations and is definitely better than it was last year when I wasn't using anything but a fat burner.

Supplements used: One scoop of Compete immediately after my lunch jump rope session. Another scoop of Compete and one scoop of Hemavol (taken separately) before I left work and headed for the gym. I mixed another scoop of Compete and took it to the gym with me. I was sweating like crazy during my workout and I must have refilled that shaker 3 or 4 times. By the last time there was only a faint lemon taste left since I had been drinking half and then refilling it.

Pumps were pretty crazy this time around. The combination of the Hemavol and high volume really got me. I didn't have my phone on me, but I wish I could have taken a picture of my lower leg. The veins on the front of my leg were bulging out and this isn't something I usually see. It was almost too much in my calves, but it did feel good.

Recovery and endurance both seem to be improved so far with this stack. I seem to bounce back quicker between sets and managed through a rough workout with no issues even though I have been doing insane amounts of cardio. So far, so good.

Loudy Rowdy

Loudy Rowdy

Awards
All those jump roping and then the leg workout? Hardcore ;)

this is good to hear:
Recovery and endurance both seem to be improved so far with this stack. I seem to bounce back quicker between sets and managed through a rough workout with no issues even though I have been doing insane amounts of cardio. So far, so good.

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
I am behind on updates because I literally spend all of my free time exercising!

Friday (Fitness Challenge Day 5):

Cardio and more cardio.....

Recumbent bike - 1.75 hours total
jump rope - 1 hour, 10 minutes total

I have been getting a lot of comments about all the jump rope, but it really isn't that bad! It definitely sucks while I am doing it, but there aren't really any lasting negative feelings from it. People think it's hard on the knees, but it doesn't bother mine at all. This is coming from a guy that has had 3 knee congeries in the last 3 years too. Besides feeling like my heart is beating out of my chest, I feel it mostly in my feet and lower legs.

Supplements used: Still using the beta fat burner early mornings, before lunch and before bed. I used one scoop of Compete after my 30-minute lunch jump rope session. I am going to run out of Compete quickly since I use it every day and multiple times some days.

I am going to restock by taking advantage of a great Hemavol/Compete promo this month.

Saturday (Fitness Challenge Day 6):

I was feeling tired but hit the gym first thing in the morning for my leg workout. Saturday was a light day so I could save my heavy day for Sunday. Here is some detail on my workout:

warmup - 5 minutes jump rope
leg press - 4 sets of 20 reps
hack squats - 4 sets of 15 reps
leg extensions - 4 sets of 20 reps
lying leg curls - 4 sets of 15 reps
adduction/abduction - 3 sets of 25 reps for each

abs - 4 sets of 25 reps on Ab-Bench

Notes: I was really sluggish to start but things got better as my workout went on. Surprisingly the jump rope really helped me get going because it got my heart rate up and blood flowing. Endurance was good and pumps were great for this workout.

I skipped calves because my calves felt like they could use a break from all the jumping. I tried to use the Ab-Coaster but it was too hard on my shoulder and I had to go back to the Ab-bench.

Supplements: 1 scoop of Hemavol and 1 scoop of Compete pwo. I also sipped on another scoop of Compete during my workout.

I was feeling pretty burned out from all of the exercise lately, so I took the rest of Saturday off other than some yardio.

Sunday update coming tomorrow morning (with some pics)

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In4 Dewey pics. :D

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
1 hour and 10 minutes of jump rope....dewey, my man-outstanding!!!!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jump rope.. like non stop?

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's a man on a mission and kicking ass! Make it happen double D.

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lookin good in here Dewey keep it up bud

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
1 hour and 10 minutes of jump rope....dewey, my man-outstanding!!!!
He's a man on a mission and kicking ass! Make it happen double D.
Lookin good in here Dewey keep it up bud
Thanks guys!

jump rope.. like non stop?
No, I can't jump rope for 1 hour and 10 minutes straight......yet!

That was divided up throughout the day into one 10 minute set, 2 15 minute sets and 1 30 minute set.

fumoney

fumoney

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will be lucky up be able to do 5 min. I'm so uncoordinated.....