Breaking PRs with iForce: Hemavol/Compete log (Sponsored)

retrofitted

Awards
First off, thanks to Vaughn and the rest of the staff at iForce for the opportunity to log these products. First time using an intra-workout product, second time with Hemavol. I had a disappointing experience with Hemavol so I'm hoping the second time's the charm, especially stacking with Compete.

Stats:
Age - 28
Height - 5'8"
Weight - hovering between 190-195

Training method: an amalgamation of different block periodization templates, with emphasis on Lilly's Cube Method. Planning on first PL meet in March, competing in the 181 class.

Just received my package and excited to start the log. I'll be taking a detour from my normal training to compete in a local strongman event tomorrow, so we'll see just how useful the Compete is in higher endurance/conditioning situations.

Stay tuned, and thanks in advance.

retrofitted

Awards

Took the products as Vaughn dictated - 1 serving Hemavol and 1 serving Compete 30 minutes prior to training, 1 serving Compete sipped throughout. Flavoring (Lemon Drop for both) is definitely a high point with these products but some might find them too intense, especially the Hemavol. I mix with between 1.5 and 2 times the recommended water amount.

No regular training today - instead, like a moron, I competed in a local strongman series. Having had absolutely no technical coaching on the lifts, I can safely say that strongman is not the type of training that I want to be involved with on a regular basis. Nothing against competitors of this type; on the contrary, the cardiovascular conditioning and endurance levels of these athletes are far beyond what I expect of myself and of course I was destroyed during the series. That being said, I don't think I can give the iForce stack a fair assessment because of the rest periods and unfamiliarity with the training.

I also managed to wreck my left forearm and wrist during finger flips and dropped a 650-lb tire on my right instep while doing the tire flip/log press event. My wrist I can deal with, but I do believe I have a fractured foot which I couldn't be happier about. Having recovered from a torn meniscus only a few months ago, I can only imagine how much my totals are going to increase now that I've broken my ****ing foot. I hate everything, but in the end it's my own damn fault.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pics?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed. I'll be starting Lily's Cube Method next Monday after deloading this week for 2 upcoming meets. I'm interested in seeing what you do with your training. Good luck.

Compete tastes awesome btw

retrofitted

Awards
Piston, no pics at the moment. If it'll add a tremendous value to the log I'll snap some. Thanks for chiming in, I'll be following your log as well.

Sean, appreciate the sub. I've been a silent fan of yours for some time now, you've got some awesome numbers. I'm in week three of the Cube after following Westside for the last few months, but as a raw lifter I have to say I like the Cube quite a bit. I love Louie Simmons and I'm sure that the Westside template as it's written is the pinnacle of programming for many lifters, but my total actually suffered pretty drastically while using it. That may have been due to a number of different factors such as training partners and gym switching so I won't dismiss Westside at all, but I'll wait until I get into equipment before revisiting.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sean, appreciate the sub. I've been a silent fan of yours for some time now, you've got some awesome numbers. I'm in week three of the Cube after following Westside for the last few months, but as a raw lifter I have to say I like the Cube quite a bit. I love Louie Simmons and I'm sure that the Westside template as it's written is the pinnacle of programming for many lifters, but my total actually suffered pretty drastically while using it. That may have been due to a number of different factors such as training partners and gym switching so I won't dismiss Westside at all, but I'll wait until I get into equipment before revisiting.
Thanks man, I appreciate that a lot. I'll be along for the ride. I'll base my first 3 weeks off of his template in the book for my main and supplemental movement and adjust my assistance as needed and go from there. I'll most likely pick up some things from you here.

retrofitted

Awards
Thanks Howwedo, glad to see a rep in here from a different supplement company.

retrofitted

Awards
01.21.13 Speed Squats

Foot still felt like dog**** this morning but at least I can hobble on it, which wasn't the case last night. Was going to put off training until more healing took place but I guess I'd rather be a broken trainee than stagnate trying to get healthy. At any rate, session was speed squats so the lighter weight gives me a chance to really focus on technique and keep my weight on my heels rather than the instep.

Compete does taste refreshing intra-training. 1 scoop in 30 oz of water and I'm good to go.

SPEED SQUATS (with 3 count pause deep in the hole, then explosion as fast as possible to complete the rep)
No belt

Bar x 5, 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 2 x 10 sets (30 second rest between sets)

FRONT SQUATS
135 x 2 x 5 sets
225 x 2 x 5 sets

ANGLED LAT PULLS with EliteFTS Intense Mini band

AXLE BAR BENT ROWS
135 x 15
135 x 15
135 x 15

NECK HARNESS WORK
25 lbs weight x40
x40
x40

BANDED FOREHEAD WALK with Intense Mini band
x50
x50
x50

No pumps to speak of that were out of the ordinary, but that may be a product of higher bodyfat than Hemavol itself. I have experienced more pronounced pumps with other preworkouts, however. Still think it's too soon to say whether or not the iForce stack is having any effect, but it's nice to sip on something other than plain water during training. No issues with endurance, just wish my foot wasn't in so much pain. Training wasn't terrible but walking from weight tree to the squat rack was a nightmare.

Bench training to come next.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Full up a 20ox bottle with 1.5 scoop of Hemavol drink half and full it with water again and sip it for a bit but about 20 mins prior to that eat a banana I did this and wow it pumped me up lol I didn't wanna leave the gym I was pumped and vascular

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
In for the ride!

retrofitted

Awards
I'll give it a shot. I took the Hema on a totally empty stomach but drank plenty of H2O alongside.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been dosing 2 scoops compete every now and then. Tried 1 pre and 1 intra and had some good endurance. I'll be sticking with 1 scoop though just to have more. By far the best tasting intra I've had

As for hemavol, I've experienced the best results off of 1.5-2 scoops.

retrofitted

Awards
Based on the ingredient profile I'd be more comfortable dosing the Hema at 2 scoops, which is the scheme I used before. But because this is a sponsored log I'll be adhering to Vaughn's dosing protocol.

retrofitted

Awards
1.23.13 Heavy Bench

My left wrist was absolutely killing me today after that goddamn finger crashed into it during the strongman series. Putting on my wrist wraps for bench was painful to the point where I might have been better off not using them (or benching at all). At any rate, took it easy despite being a heavy bench day.

BENCH PRESS
Bar x 5, 5
135 x 5, 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
245 x 2 x 5 sets

DEAD PRESS FROM PINS (3 inches above chest)
225 x 3
275 x 2
315 x 1

This was not a good idea to do, at all. Felt like my wrist was going to explode.

Onto accessory work. This is where I feel like the Compete/Hemavol will benefit me the most, if at all.

INCLINE DB PRESS
50 ea x 10
80 ea x 10
80 ea x 10

HS CHEST SUPPORTED SEATED ROW
+90 x 10
+180 x 10
+230 x 10

DIPS
BW x 20
BW x 20
BW x 20

SINGLE PULLEY CABLE LAT PULLDOWN
120 x 10
180 x 10
180 x 10

SINGLE PULLEY CABLE TRICEP EXTENSION
70 x 12
70 x 12

PUSHUPS
15, 15, 15

Man, not taking a stim pre-training is tough (or I'm psychologically dependent and acting like a child). I can't say I feel anything drastic from the iForce stack, but I will say that my triceps felt iincredibly full post-training. No perceived effects on endurance, but it's only three days in. I'm optimistic.

retrofitted

Awards
1.25.13 Dynamic deads

Standard dosing on the iForce stack. Not having a stimulant-based pre is getting tough.

SPEED DEADS AGAINST EFS ONYX MONSTER MINI BANDS
Front anchored bands
Bar x 3, 3, 3
135 x 3, 3
225 x 3
315 x 2 x 5 sets sumo
Standard anchored bands
315 x 2 x 5 sets conventional
Removed bands
315 x 2 x 5 sets

ROLLER REVERSE HYPER
+50 x 20
+70 x 20
+70 x 20

MONSTER MINI BAND LAT PULL/FACEPULL
LAT x 20, 20, 20
FACE x 40, 40, 40

45 DEGREE BACK RAISE w/ safety bar

GHR

Miscellaneous neck harness work, banded forehead walks, etc.

I won't say the iForce stack is actively working against my training of course, but I can't say it's positively affecting me either. Because I had a disappointing experience previously with Hemavol, I didn't harbor too much for that particular product, but Compete doesn't seem to be adding much if at all to my sessions either.

Pumps/vascularity/endurance all remain unchanged.

As a side experiment, I took a serving of Betancourt D-Stunner on a rest day, which is my go-to preworkout. I experienced more prominent vascularity just going through my standard work day on the D-Stunner than I ever have on any combination of Hemavol/Compete, so this is disconcerting to me.

retrofitted

Awards
1.26.13 Cube Accessory

This is the day that I anticipate the most benefit from the stack, because there is no emphasis on power during these sessions. As Lily outlines in the Cube program, this day is meant for muscular imbalance correction and hypertrophy, so isolation exercises and high reps are the key. If the Hemavol/Compete don't do anything for me on this day, I can't imagine them benefitting me at all.

SEATED MILITARY PRESS warmup
65 x 25
65 x 25

LOG PRESS
100 x 15
120 x 15
150 x 8
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3

SEATED MILITARY PRESS w/ Orange Fat Grip
95 x 12
135 x7
135 x7

DB SIDE LATERALS, BENT REAR DELT WORK
Multiple sets using lighter weights x sets of 25 and 20

CABLE TRICEP PUSHDOWN w/ T-Grip bar
80 x 15
100 x 15
130 x 12
100 x 25

BANDED TRICEP CREEPERS w/ 3 Monster Mini bands
30, 30, 30

It's been enough time and training sessions (with enough variety) to begin to assess the stack fairly. I should have at least experienced a greater pump during tricep and shoulder isolation work, but once again, nothing. I don't give a **** about the aesthetic effects of the stack but I certainly did want the additional endurance that Compete is meant to provide, and so far it's been another frustrating experience with iForce. I loved the original Maximize Intense and would have used it continuously had it not been reformulated, but iForce and I don't seem to get along well otherwise. I'll keep the updates coming and hopefully something will change.