mkretz's strength quest

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

  1. Extra cals obviously...
    Just keep motoring Mk

    -Chris
    EBF Rep
    Mobile App
    ...::: Olympus Labs Athlete & Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -


  2. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    the beginning of the workout is exactly the template given........then it shows 4 exercises for 4 sets for hypertrophy, ok so i do 6 sometimes.....but that gives me strength (in the beginning) and hypertroph (later) right? i mean I dont see hwo that is not achieving both goals, im sorry i just have never trained for straight strength i guess and my goals are to get both not just 1 or the other, hit different fibers at different rep ranges
    No, you're not following the template as you're already deloading and you've neglected OHP (push-press, jerks, etc. are not the same). Your problem is too fold: the mindless volume and a wrong approach to training for strength. Training for strength focuses on movements, not muscles. For example, the bench press is not a chest exercise; it is a total body movement. You have a bench day, not a chest day. You have a squat day, not a leg day. It's this approach that separates PL'ing from BB'ing and your "template" is just some bastard amalgamation.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No, you're not following the template as you're already deloading and you've neglected OHP (push-press, jerks, etc. are not the same). Your problem is too fold: the mindless volume and a wrong approach to training for strength. Training for strength focuses on movements, not muscles. For example, the bench press is not a chest exercise; it is a total body movement. You have a bench day, not a chest day. You have a squat day, not a leg day. It's this approach that separates PL'ing from BB'ing and your "template" is just some bastard amalgamation.
    Well said.
    Unremarkable is no way to go through life... Doug

  4. I jsut like to incorporate heavier weights also with bodybuilding rep ranges with lighter weights........it seemed liek teh 5/3/1 with bodybuilding assistance lifts was exactly that but i guess not.......and i didnt say i had an issue wit eatin 5000 cals or w.e which i rarely do now usually 4000 at most..............

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No, you're not following the template as you're already deloading and you've neglected OHP (push-press, jerks, etc. are not the same). Your problem is too fold: the mindless volume and a wrong approach to training for strength. Training for strength focuses on movements, not muscles. For example, the bench press is not a chest exercise; it is a total body movement. You have a bench day, not a chest day. You have a squat day, not a leg day. It's this approach that separates PL'ing from BB'ing and your "template" is just some bastard amalgamation.
    according to the template your4th week is a deload thats exactly what im doing, following the 60%,7% then 80% ll for 5 reps as teh deload then move on that what it shwed when i loooked it up so if thats wrong correct me but thats what i read
    •   
       


  6. yes, you're doing the percentages and reps for your compound movements that you actually are doing. that's not the whole system though!

    http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/12/53...-now-for-sale/

    buy it. 20 bucks and it will better yourself and your training
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    according to the template your4th week is a deload thats exactly what im doing, following the 60%,7% then 80% ll for 5 reps as teh deload then move on that what it shwed when i loooked it up so if thats wrong correct me but thats what i read
    I've been following this logs and, although it's hard to find any discernable order, on your first week aka the "5" week, I recall you not knowing that the final set was AMRAP, so you should not have even counted that first week as it was done incorrectly. Next, the deload sets are not that high; it's 40%, 50%, 60%.

    Save yourself and all of us some time and buy the damn book.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  8. deload is 60 65 70 in the template i saw....but i will do that next deload......start back up next cyle tomrrow

  9. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    deload is 60 65 70 in the template i saw....but i will do that next deload......start back up next cyle tomrrow
    If the template you saw wasn't in the book, then it's likely a bull**** template. Just my .02
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  10. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    If the template you saw wasn't in the book, then it's likely a bull**** template. Just my .02

    good point..........

  11. started teh 2nd cycle today and have decided to go with front squats......havent doneheavy front squats in i dont knwo how long im also experimenting with putting hte bar under my fingers instead of crossing my arms, still getting used to it but i think ill be alright. I see most peopel doing it that way so hopefully its a better way haha.

    I did not know what my max front squat was so i worked up to it today before starting my session

    got 245 then went for 265 and missed so i figured my max is around 255 cuz 245 wasnt that bad.

    From that i took 90% and calculated my weights form taht for 75,80, and 85% gave me 170,185, 195 5,5, AMRAP

    only got 6 for my as many whic was a little dissapointing but still alot more than i thoguht i coudl front squat at 255 esp since i havent done them in a while so pretty happy my upper back is pretty sore which is wierd, its gotta be from teh front squats

    DE DL - raised my dl max by 10lbs and took 60% of that

    255x2x8

    After this point my head justdidnt seem right, maybe it was from maxing out basiclaly twice on ront squats and then deadlifting. also been eatin low carb recently, looking forward to a carb up on my birthday on monday :-)

    leg press 4 sets 10-20

    hack squat 4 sets 10-20

    lunges 30 steps 4 sets

    1 leg leg ext. 4 sets

    1 leg ham curl standing 4 sets

    seated leg curl 4 sets

    butt machine - sorry, i want a good butt haha, and i knwo squat, squat, squat, but a lil fine tuning never hurt

  12. I give up.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  13. So...I take it you don't trust Jim Wendler and Louie Simmons' advice. Just don't call your training program a 5/3/1:Westside hybrid, and I'll stop.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  14. Dis thred iz killr u guis!! Dnt h8!!!11
    Cultivating Mass.

  15. What is a "butt machine?" And why was that the only thing spelled correctly?
    BOARD TYRANT | TEAM GET DIESEL | GETDIESEL.COM
    FeFiFo.com support
    DIESEL TEST = Underground Kings of Test elevation!


  16. Quote Originally Posted by Piston Honda View Post
    What is a "butt machine?" And why was that the only thing spelled correctly?
    I think I've seen one in a porno.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  17. This thread makes me lol on a constant basis. I'm going to re-read this on days that I feel down. Sorry helping guys, sorry mkretz. I just can't help myself.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  18. My head is spinning. You are doing way too much work in the gym bro. You're not gonna get stronger by doing so much volume unless you're eating a shyt ton of food which does not coincide with your IF diet protocol. I don't even think there's a point for you to do IF because of your smaller size to begin with. You need to eat more, lift less, and recover. It's like going to the gym when its packed and you have a plan in mind and everyone is getting in the way and there are people doing bicep curls in the squat rack and its your leg day and now all you want to do is kill someone because you can't stand how stupid they all are and how they are not really taking any of this shyt seriously so in the end they are just wasting their time and yours as well and one of them comes up to you and asks if you juice because they don't understand how you can lift so much more than them and you say no I've been lifting for years and I eat 5-7 times a day and I keep track of my diet and I spend time learning more everyday because I love this shyt and they say whatever and continue to think you are "cheating" because they have no clue what this lifestyle is about so you offer them advice and they blow you off because they "know more than you do" even though that is not at all possible.

    Rant...
    Independent Review

  19. Quote Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post
    My head is spinning. You are doing way too much work in the gym bro. You're not gonna get stronger by doing so much volume unless you're eating a shyt ton of food which does not coincide with your IF diet protocol. I don't even think there's a point for you to do IF because of your smaller size to begin with. You need to eat more, lift less, and recover. It's like going to the gym when its packed and you have a plan in mind and everyone is getting in the way and there are people doing bicep curls in the squat rack and its your leg day and now all you want to do is kill someone because you can't stand how stupid they all are and how they are not really taking any of this shyt seriously so in the end they are just wasting their time and yours as well and one of them comes up to you and asks if you juice because they don't understand how you can lift so much more than them and you say no I've been lifting for years and I eat 5-7 times a day and I keep track of my diet and I spend time learning more everyday because I love this shyt and they say whatever and continue to think you are "cheating" because they have no clue what this lifestyle is about so you offer them advice and they blow you off because they "know more than you do" even though that is not at all possible.

    Rant...

    i inow how u feel with teh squat rack, **** happens often actually at mygym esp one tiem whena kid was doing "shrugs" then woudl walk away for liek 5 min and come back and do soem more horrible shrugs will ike 500lbs all while im obviously waiting.............will update more tomorrow, less volume.........today was teh bday so had a busy daycya tomrorow !

  20. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post

    i inow how u feel with teh squat rack, **** happens often actually at mygym esp one tiem whena kid was doing "shrugs" then woudl walk away for liek 5 min and come back and do soem more horrible shrugs will ike 500lbs all while im obviously waiting.............will update more tomorrow, less volume.........today was teh bday so had a busy daycya tomrorow !
    Jesus I lost iq points reading that .

  21. sorry....was bout to go to bed and decided to post real quick

  22. DL day didnt go that great yest, not 100% sure why but i had been cutting carbs all week leading up to yest meal(s) for my birthday :-) that could've been why.

    DL
    285x5
    300x5
    320x6 - i was pissed so did anotehr set of 6 and this one was easier, who knows

    DE squat - 195x2x8

    trying to work more on my upper back because i was told i have mild upper cross syndrome which includes weak middle traps and rhomboids

    4 sets of pendlay rows - also, every exercise was very strict, not worrrying about weight, worked well cuz my back was sore today! really strong contracions and full ROM

    4 sets CG pullups - still suck at these

    4 sets cg cable rows but trying to pull higher than normal and really squeeze my middle traps

    finished off with a rope at chest height on a cable station and just focused on pulling my shoulder blades together

  23. Today started off really sluggish till i moved on to my hypertrophy work, i just like the fast paced stuff i guess i dunno, need to work up a real good sweat then im really into it.

    cleans 6 sets of 3

    strict OHP - max is 120

    70x5
    80x5
    90x8

    push press 4 sets of 3

    4 sets lateral raises
    4 sets DB press
    4 sets cable rear laterals
    4 sets prone incline shrug (again focusing on rhomboids and middle traps)

    Biceps - 4 sets twist curl, 4 sets hammer curl, 3 sets 1 arm cable ez bar curl

    more volume than yest but hit 2 bodyparts and had sum glycogen to burn through after yesterdays birthday meals haha

    had a chiliburger with added lettuce tomato avocado bacon and oinion straws plus a chicken salad from red robin
    -then went to ihop and got a massive ham cheese spinach oinions and peppers omlette with CINNASTACK french toast - this is liek the best thing i ever ate no lie it was toooo good, liek one big giant cinnamon roll with cream cheese icing and whipped cream omg haha
    -then went to coldstone and got some cheesecake icecream with oreos fudge and grahm cracker pie crust pieces
    - then when i got home i made myself soem mroe food haha, ust an eggwhite omlette with sum canadian bacon, ff cheese and veggies. O yea and a protein shake and 2 poptarts to finish the night off...............good night to say the least :-).............def went all out

  24. Quite an eat fest. Yah that is one fug of a lot of volume.
    Unremarkable is no way to go through life... Doug

  25. Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    Quite an eat fest. Yah that is one fug of a lot of volume.
    yea it was delish that french toast was sooo good, i had to stop myself from getting another order lol

    today was an off day, 2 creatona before cardio, 2 after, also got a quick (half hour or so) massage so hopefully that will help with my recovery. Had planned on lifting today but legs just didn't feel too hott and was supposed to front squat so i figured id take another day

  26. Rodja and Sean gave up...I'll just ask one question...

    Why do you need more than 1 MOVEMENT per plane? Why do you do a lot of horizontal pulls, or focus on muscle groups?

    Is this due to the fact you are focused on aesthetics way more than strength? Just wondering...because there are ways to have both...but at least not all the mindless volume or the not west side hybrid you are trying...specially since West Side uses only one movement to "build the squat" in that week...it's wither squat or any variation of it, or any pull variation...just not Olympic lifts since they are neither DE or ME...

    Define yourself, really ask yourself...what do you need to have fun and enjoy the gym and to be able to live with yourself...aesthetics or strength?

    Not saying you have to pic either-or BUT really find what you want first of all...I just don't think it's clear to you and that might be the reason behind you neglecting the focus on: Planes of motion, movements, prehab, assistance work and rep work
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

  27. Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Rodja and Sean gave up...I'll just ask one question...

    Why do you need more than 1 MOVEMENT per plane? Why do you do a lot of horizontal pulls, or focus on muscle groups?

    Is this due to the fact you are focused on aesthetics way more than strength? Just wondering...because there are ways to have both...but at least not all the mindless volume or the not west side hybrid you are trying...specially since West Side uses only one movement to "build the squat" in that week...it's wither squat or any variation of it, or any pull variation...just not Olympic lifts since they are neither DE or ME...

    Define yourself, really ask yourself...what do you need to have fun and enjoy the gym and to be able to live with yourself...aesthetics or strength?

    Not saying you have to pic either-or BUT really find what you want first of all...I just don't think it's clear to you and that might be the reason behind you neglecting the focus on: Planes of motion, movements, prehab, assistance work and rep work
    thanks alot man......yea i mean i guess aesthetics are more important but i do want to be strong too ya know. It feels pretty damn good to be movin big weights. I also really liek to feel explosive which is why i like the DE idea........i really like the pump though so i dunno bout teh strength stuff but i do enjoy that too ........i guess im just confused ....i want it all and cant have it all at once

  28. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post

    thanks alot man......yea i mean i guess aesthetics are more important but i do want to be strong too ya know. It feels pretty damn good to be movin big weights. I also really liek to feel explosive which is why i like the DE idea........i really like the pump though so i dunno bout teh strength stuff but i do enjoy that too ........i guess im just confused ....i want it all and cant have it all at once
    Go for PHAT by Layne Norton...focuses on high volume and aesthetics and incorporates power and hypertrophy movements, ME and DE per say. It would suit more your goals and training style, allowing you the possibility of growing stronger too.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

  29. You could also set up a 4 day spilt: one upper body day focused on horizontal strength with a push and pull exercise each and then a hypertrophy based vertical push and pull exercise. Finish with assistance and prehab work. Reverse the strength and hypertrophy planes the other day ie vertical strength/horizontal hypertrophy then assistance/prehab work. For lower body have one day focused on more quad dominant/anterior chain for strength and then posterior chain hypertrophy and the other day emphasize the posterior chain for strength and the quads/anterior chain for hypertrophy. Make sure to work the entire core on lower body days and do some assistance work. Only do 2-3 sets for 1-2 assistance exercises on the upper and lower body days.
    im the sh!t, even your girlfriend can smell it

  30. Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post

    Go for PHAT by Layne Norton...focuses on high volume and aesthetics and incorporates power and hypertrophy movements, ME and DE per say. It would suit more your goals and training style, allowing you the possibility of growing stronger too.
    Crazy. I did that once and loved it. I may be goin back lol thanks
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Toro's quest for Strength and Shred
    By Torobestia in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 204
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 02:58 PM
  2. AI's Super Swole Stack...GoHard's Quest for Strength Absolute
    By GoHardOrGoHme in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 663
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM
  3. SWOLLEN87's Quest for STRENGTH (with epi)
    By swollen87 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 11:58 AM
  4. Testing ab strength! O/T
    By whale in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 04:02 PM
  5. ph/ps for strength?
    By Matt T in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Log in
Log in