mkretz's strength quest - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 3

mkretz's strength quest

Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

sorry....was bout to go to bed and decided to post real quick

Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

DL day didnt go that great yest, not 100% sure why but i had been cutting carbs all week leading up to yest meal(s) for my birthday :-) that could've been why.

DL
    285x5
    300x5
    320x6 - i was pissed so did anotehr set of 6 and this one was easier, who knows

DE squat - 195x2x8

trying to work more on my upper back because i was told i have mild upper cross syndrome which includes weak middle traps and rhomboids

4 sets of pendlay rows - also, every exercise was very strict, not worrrying about weight, worked well cuz my back was sore today! really strong contracions and full ROM

4 sets CG pullups - still suck at these

4 sets cg cable rows but trying to pull higher than normal and really squeeze my middle traps

finished off with a rope at chest height on a cable station and just focused on pulling my shoulder blades together
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

Today started off really sluggish till i moved on to my hypertrophy work, i just like the fast paced stuff i guess i dunno, need to work up a real good sweat then im really into it.

cleans 6 sets of 3

strict OHP - max is 120

70x5
    80x5
    90x8

push press 4 sets of 3

4 sets lateral raises
    4 sets DB press
    4 sets cable rear laterals
    4 sets prone incline shrug (again focusing on rhomboids and middle traps)

Biceps - 4 sets twist curl, 4 sets hammer curl, 3 sets 1 arm cable ez bar curl

more volume than yest but hit 2 bodyparts and had sum glycogen to burn through after yesterdays birthday meals haha

had a chiliburger with added lettuce tomato avocado bacon and oinion straws plus a chicken salad from red robin
    -then went to ihop and got a massive ham cheese spinach oinions and peppers omlette with CINNASTACK french toast - this is liek the best thing i ever ate no lie it was toooo good, liek one big giant cinnamon roll with cream cheese icing and whipped cream omg haha
    -then went to coldstone and got some cheesecake icecream with oreos fudge and grahm cracker pie crust pieces
    - then when i got home i made myself soem mroe food haha, ust an eggwhite omlette with sum canadian bacon, ff cheese and veggies. O yea and a protein shake and 2 poptarts to finish the night off...............good night to say the least :-).............def went all out
    •   

Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quite an eat fest. Yah that is one fug of a lot of volume.
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    Quite an eat fest. Yah that is one fug of a lot of volume.
    yea it was delish that french toast was sooo good, i had to stop myself from getting another order lol

today was an off day, 2 creatona before cardio, 2 after, also got a quick (half hour or so) massage so hopefully that will help with my recovery. Had planned on lifting today but legs just didn't feel too hott and was supposed to front squat so i figured id take another day
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Rodja and Sean gave up...I'll just ask one question...

Why do you need more than 1 MOVEMENT per plane? Why do you do a lot of horizontal pulls, or focus on muscle groups?

Is this due to the fact you are focused on aesthetics way more than strength? Just wondering...because there are ways to have both...but at least not all the mindless volume or the not west side hybrid you are trying...specially since West Side uses only one movement to "build the squat" in that week...it's wither squat or any variation of it, or any pull variation...just not Olympic lifts since they are neither DE or ME...

Define yourself, really ask yourself...what do you need to have fun and enjoy the gym and to be able to live with yourself...aesthetics or strength?

Not saying you have to pic either-or BUT really find what you want first of all...I just don't think it's clear to you and that might be the reason behind you neglecting the focus on: Planes of motion, movements, prehab, assistance work and rep work
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Rodja and Sean gave up...I'll just ask one question...

Why do you need more than 1 MOVEMENT per plane? Why do you do a lot of horizontal pulls, or focus on muscle groups?

Is this due to the fact you are focused on aesthetics way more than strength? Just wondering...because there are ways to have both...but at least not all the mindless volume or the not west side hybrid you are trying...specially since West Side uses only one movement to "build the squat" in that week...it's wither squat or any variation of it, or any pull variation...just not Olympic lifts since they are neither DE or ME...

Define yourself, really ask yourself...what do you need to have fun and enjoy the gym and to be able to live with yourself...aesthetics or strength?

Not saying you have to pic either-or BUT really find what you want first of all...I just don't think it's clear to you and that might be the reason behind you neglecting the focus on: Planes of motion, movements, prehab, assistance work and rep work
    thanks alot man......yea i mean i guess aesthetics are more important but i do want to be strong too ya know. It feels pretty damn good to be movin big weights. I also really liek to feel explosive which is why i like the DE idea........i really like the pump though so i dunno bout teh strength stuff but i do enjoy that too ........i guess im just confused ....i want it all and cant have it all at once
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post

thanks alot man......yea i mean i guess aesthetics are more important but i do want to be strong too ya know. It feels pretty damn good to be movin big weights. I also really liek to feel explosive which is why i like the DE idea........i really like the pump though so i dunno bout teh strength stuff but i do enjoy that too ........i guess im just confused ....i want it all and cant have it all at once
    Go for PHAT by Layne Norton...focuses on high volume and aesthetics and incorporates power and hypertrophy movements, ME and DE per say. It would suit more your goals and training style, allowing you the possibility of growing stronger too.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

You could also set up a 4 day spilt: one upper body day focused on horizontal strength with a push and pull exercise each and then a hypertrophy based vertical push and pull exercise. Finish with assistance and prehab work. Reverse the strength and hypertrophy planes the other day ie vertical strength/horizontal hypertrophy then assistance/prehab work. For lower body have one day focused on more quad dominant/anterior chain for strength and then posterior chain hypertrophy and the other day emphasize the posterior chain for strength and the quads/anterior chain for hypertrophy. Make sure to work the entire core on lower body days and do some assistance work. Only do 2-3 sets for 1-2 assistance exercises on the upper and lower body days.
    im the sh!t, even your girlfriend can smell it
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post

Go for PHAT by Layne Norton...focuses on high volume and aesthetics and incorporates power and hypertrophy movements, ME and DE per say. It would suit more your goals and training style, allowing you the possibility of growing stronger too.
    Crazy. I did that once and loved it. I may be goin back lol thanks
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

off day today, felt really drained almost all day, did some cardio and felt like crap most of the time , eventually woke up by the end which felt good, feel ok now. Hope im not getting sick. Im gonna hope it is just yest. hard workout catching up to me......... anyone else ever get that? They jsut feel like crap the next day after a tough workout?

yest. workout

Front squat
    190x3
    205x3
    210x4
    220 cluster set - 1x5 20-30 seconds between reps

4 sets leg press dropset on last set
    4 sets of hack squat, drop set on last set
    3 sets one leg smith squat
    3 sets ext. drop on last set

4 sets glute bridge focusing more on contraction instead of pure power this time
    RDL- 4 sets, nice long negatives full stretch and god contraction at the top, really trying to focus on contracting my glutes at the top
    3 sets seated leg curl drop on last set,

hammies were pretty fried
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by amateurfreak View Post
    You could also set up a 4 day spilt: one upper body day focused on horizontal strength with a push and pull exercise each and then a hypertrophy based vertical push and pull exercise. Finish with assistance and prehab work. Reverse the strength and hypertrophy planes the other day ie vertical strength/horizontal hypertrophy then assistance/prehab work. For lower body have one day focused on more quad dominant/anterior chain for strength and then posterior chain hypertrophy and the other day emphasize the posterior chain for strength and the quads/anterior chain for hypertrophy. Make sure to work the entire core on lower body days and do some assistance work. Only do 2-3 sets for 1-2 assistance exercises on the upper and lower body days.
    interesting.....could you give me an example workout week on this?
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

woke up a few times in the middle of the night with the worst sore throat ever!!! weird thing though, when i woke up, nothing......... i dunno my body has been wierd lately, its def. fighting some sickness.

decided to pre fatigue my chest today for my hypertrophy work just cuz i love the pump i get when i move fast and pre fatigue, really lets me focus in on my chest which i have a hard time doing sometimes.

bench

175x3
    185x3
    190x6
    205 cluster set 1x5 20-30 sec rest

clean
    145x2x10

3 sets incline db flys
    3 sets incline db press
    3 sets db decline flys all of these sets were at most 60 sec rest probably more like 30-45
    3 sets db decline press
    dips 3 sets as many
    pec deck 3 sets drop set on last set - pump from all this was awsome!!!!

str8 bar pushdown 4 sets
    rev grip pushdown 4 sets ss bench dips - as many
    rope overhead ext 3 sets
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

first bottle of creatona is gone :-( def has increased power......and feel lie i recover my power faster between heavy sets...sitll doing 5 preowrout on upper body days and 6 preworkout before lower body. 2 pre cardio and 2 post cardio on off days
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

so i had planned to train today but my legs felt like they wanted to seize up on me for some reason. I decided to have an active recovery day which i really wish i did more often.....did some foam rolling some stretching and some light cardio to get the blood flowin, legs still feel crampy though, dont know why......tomorrow is an off day as well, just a busy day, havent had two off days in a row in a long time, that, mixed with my shot tomorrow night, i should be good to go come tuesday for deads!
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    first bottle of creatona is gone :-( def has increased power......and feel lie i recover my power faster between heavy sets...sitll doing 5 preowrout on upper body days and 6 preworkout before lower body. 2 pre cardio and 2 post cardio on off days
    Yep it does help a lot with stamina and recovery. I am saving mine for PCT which is quite a while as I am on a long run.
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

todays workout was a little un focused to begin with but dialed it in after a while

front squat

180x5
    205x3
    215x4!!! PR i think i did 210 for 4 last wee and they werent as solid as these
    225x1x5

DE DL
    285x2x8

HAck squat 4 sets with drop on last set

Leg Press 4 sets double drop on last set ( weights wee alot higher on these!) i did do my reps alittle quicker than normal

1 leg leg ext

glute bridge with distinct holds on each rep, 4 sets

seated ham curl

lyingham curl

DB RDL really squeezing my glutes, felt niiiiice haha

anyone else do glute bridges btw? i feel like im the only one that does them and they are an awsome exercise.....also do u do them quic and explosive or slow and squeeze and hold?
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

off day today, body is jsut too shot from the workout yest........hope to get a good one in tomorrow
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

I know that feeling been pummeling myself and recovery is tough to come by some days but I planned this well..
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

planned on working out today but got hung up with a few things o just did sum cardio, and abs, ok and a few sets of bis cuz my arms are extra tiny lol............... also yest was an off day cuz i took my gpa to the bufalo sabres game for his bday which was awsome even though we lost :-( felt great to spend quality time with a great man! an then the superbowl, didnt do anything stupid for the superbowl, got an eating challenge to do next sat so i have to be have.........plan on cutting cal 100-200 cals a day starting yest leading up to the challenge at which will give me at leat an extra 1000 cals to play with

Similar Forum Threads

1. Toro's quest for Strength and Shred
    By Torobestia in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 204
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
  2. AI's Super Swole Stack...GoHard's Quest for Strength Absolute
    By GoHardOrGoHme in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 663
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
  3. SWOLLEN87's Quest for STRENGTH (with epi)
    By swollen87 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
  4. Testing ab strength! O/T
    By whale in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 02:02 PM
  5. ph/ps for strength?
    By Matt T in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2002, 03:37 PM