mkretz's strength quest

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

  1. not gonna lie, volume was pretty high but i woudlnt say intensity was too high so hopefully im all good


  2. getting kinda lonely in here :-(

    yest i did DL with DE squat then back hypertrophy work, agian delad although i got pretty into it and mightve went a lil too hard on the hypertrophy
    also decided to see how my front squat was at the very end of everything lol

    DL
    225x5
    265x5
    295x5

    squat
    185x2x8

    pendlay rows, tbar rows, good mornings, CG pulldowns, 1 arm db rows, all 4 sets, str8 bar pulldown, lat pulldown 3 sets each


    none to failure, no drops, then front squat worked up to 225 and did 1, thinking of doing frotn squats for 5/3/1 second cycle through although they are rough haha

    today was an off day tomororw will be my last deload workout however it hasnt been a week..........think i should tart back up on the 2nd cycle on friday or doa nother wave of deload?
    •   
       


  3. also, ive been using jsut sample packets of different preworkouts and havent even needed a full one yet which is crazy, i guess id otn need to be pumping myself full of prewokrout like i have been lol

  4. It's getting lonely because you've ignored everyone's advice about your misguided training.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  5. because i do too much volume? i gues........template shows 4 exrcises i usually do 6, maybe its deload so iv e added some mroe stuff but weights are lighter so intenity is low
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    because i do too much volume? i gues........template shows 4 exrcises i usually do 6, maybe its deload so iv e added some mroe stuff but weights are lighter so intenity is low
    None of the workouts you've posted have resembled anything close to 5/3/1 or Westside. You're still doing mindless volume in every session and fail to realize that each lift you do should address a specific point. The lifts you choose should not be random and you sure as hell don't need 6 lifts for your back. You're not increasing strength with that amount of volume; you're only increasing fatigue resistance.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  7. the beginning of the workout is exactly the template given........then it shows 4 exercises for 4 sets for hypertrophy, ok so i do 6 sometimes.....but that gives me strength (in the beginning) and hypertroph (later) right? i mean I dont see hwo that is not achieving both goals, im sorry i just have never trained for straight strength i guess and my goals are to get both not just 1 or the other, hit different fibers at different rep ranges

  8. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    because i do too much volume? i gues........template shows 4 exrcises i usually do 6, maybe its deload so iv e added some mroe stuff but weights are lighter so intenity is low
    You've asked for advice that will help you get stronger, not have to eat 5,000c, follow a great program how it's written and disregarded all information given to you-yet still call it 5/3/1. People may not want to post only to correct you for every workout you do.

    If you want to do 5/3/1 or Westside, then do it how it's written. No more no less. It's written how it is for a reason. Your volume has hardly changed since you said you'd decrease it.

    If you want to do high volume, then do it; just don't call it 5/3/1:Westside just because you're following the 5/3/1 sets for your compound lifts. That's not what it's about. If you read the book you'd understand that. People have only been trying to help, including one of the most knowledgable members on training and you've disregarded it all.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    the beginning of the workout is exactly the template given........then it shows 4 exercises for 4 sets for hypertrophy, ok so i do 6 sometimes.....but that gives me strength (in the beginning) and hypertroph (later) right? i mean I dont see hwo that is not achieving both goals, im sorry i just have never trained for straight strength i guess and my goals are to get both not just 1 or the other, hit different fibers at different rep ranges
    Just because you're training for strength doesn't mean you won't get bigger and be in shape. Good job- you followed the beginning rep sets (although you still stack more weight on and max out) You've only accomplished 25% of what the program is really about.

    The name of your thread is strength quest.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Just because you're training for strength doesn't mean you won't get bigger and be in shape. Good job- you followed the beginning rep sets (although you still stack more weight on and max out) You've only accomplished 25% of what the program is really about.

    The name of your thread is strength quest.
    Yah size is more about diet.
    Unremarkable is no way to go through life... Doug

  11. Extra cals obviously...
    Just keep motoring Mk

    -Chris
    EBF Rep
    Mobile App
    ...::: Olympus Labs Athlete & Representative :::...
    Crossfit - DEMIGOD -

  12. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    the beginning of the workout is exactly the template given........then it shows 4 exercises for 4 sets for hypertrophy, ok so i do 6 sometimes.....but that gives me strength (in the beginning) and hypertroph (later) right? i mean I dont see hwo that is not achieving both goals, im sorry i just have never trained for straight strength i guess and my goals are to get both not just 1 or the other, hit different fibers at different rep ranges
    No, you're not following the template as you're already deloading and you've neglected OHP (push-press, jerks, etc. are not the same). Your problem is too fold: the mindless volume and a wrong approach to training for strength. Training for strength focuses on movements, not muscles. For example, the bench press is not a chest exercise; it is a total body movement. You have a bench day, not a chest day. You have a squat day, not a leg day. It's this approach that separates PL'ing from BB'ing and your "template" is just some bastard amalgamation.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No, you're not following the template as you're already deloading and you've neglected OHP (push-press, jerks, etc. are not the same). Your problem is too fold: the mindless volume and a wrong approach to training for strength. Training for strength focuses on movements, not muscles. For example, the bench press is not a chest exercise; it is a total body movement. You have a bench day, not a chest day. You have a squat day, not a leg day. It's this approach that separates PL'ing from BB'ing and your "template" is just some bastard amalgamation.
    Well said.
    Unremarkable is no way to go through life... Doug

  14. I jsut like to incorporate heavier weights also with bodybuilding rep ranges with lighter weights........it seemed liek teh 5/3/1 with bodybuilding assistance lifts was exactly that but i guess not.......and i didnt say i had an issue wit eatin 5000 cals or w.e which i rarely do now usually 4000 at most..............

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No, you're not following the template as you're already deloading and you've neglected OHP (push-press, jerks, etc. are not the same). Your problem is too fold: the mindless volume and a wrong approach to training for strength. Training for strength focuses on movements, not muscles. For example, the bench press is not a chest exercise; it is a total body movement. You have a bench day, not a chest day. You have a squat day, not a leg day. It's this approach that separates PL'ing from BB'ing and your "template" is just some bastard amalgamation.
    according to the template your4th week is a deload thats exactly what im doing, following the 60%,7% then 80% ll for 5 reps as teh deload then move on that what it shwed when i loooked it up so if thats wrong correct me but thats what i read

  16. yes, you're doing the percentages and reps for your compound movements that you actually are doing. that's not the whole system though!

    http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/12/53...-now-for-sale/

    buy it. 20 bucks and it will better yourself and your training
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    according to the template your4th week is a deload thats exactly what im doing, following the 60%,7% then 80% ll for 5 reps as teh deload then move on that what it shwed when i loooked it up so if thats wrong correct me but thats what i read
    I've been following this logs and, although it's hard to find any discernable order, on your first week aka the "5" week, I recall you not knowing that the final set was AMRAP, so you should not have even counted that first week as it was done incorrectly. Next, the deload sets are not that high; it's 40%, 50%, 60%.

    Save yourself and all of us some time and buy the damn book.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  18. deload is 60 65 70 in the template i saw....but i will do that next deload......start back up next cyle tomrrow

  19. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    deload is 60 65 70 in the template i saw....but i will do that next deload......start back up next cyle tomrrow
    If the template you saw wasn't in the book, then it's likely a bull**** template. Just my .02
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  20. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    If the template you saw wasn't in the book, then it's likely a bull**** template. Just my .02

    good point..........

  21. started teh 2nd cycle today and have decided to go with front squats......havent doneheavy front squats in i dont knwo how long im also experimenting with putting hte bar under my fingers instead of crossing my arms, still getting used to it but i think ill be alright. I see most peopel doing it that way so hopefully its a better way haha.

    I did not know what my max front squat was so i worked up to it today before starting my session

    got 245 then went for 265 and missed so i figured my max is around 255 cuz 245 wasnt that bad.

    From that i took 90% and calculated my weights form taht for 75,80, and 85% gave me 170,185, 195 5,5, AMRAP

    only got 6 for my as many whic was a little dissapointing but still alot more than i thoguht i coudl front squat at 255 esp since i havent done them in a while so pretty happy my upper back is pretty sore which is wierd, its gotta be from teh front squats

    DE DL - raised my dl max by 10lbs and took 60% of that

    255x2x8

    After this point my head justdidnt seem right, maybe it was from maxing out basiclaly twice on ront squats and then deadlifting. also been eatin low carb recently, looking forward to a carb up on my birthday on monday :-)

    leg press 4 sets 10-20

    hack squat 4 sets 10-20

    lunges 30 steps 4 sets

    1 leg leg ext. 4 sets

    1 leg ham curl standing 4 sets

    seated leg curl 4 sets

    butt machine - sorry, i want a good butt haha, and i knwo squat, squat, squat, but a lil fine tuning never hurt

  22. I give up.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  23. So...I take it you don't trust Jim Wendler and Louie Simmons' advice. Just don't call your training program a 5/3/1:Westside hybrid, and I'll stop.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  24. Dis thred iz killr u guis!! Dnt h8!!!11
    Cultivating Mass.

  25. What is a "butt machine?" And why was that the only thing spelled correctly?
    BOARD TYRANT | TEAM GET DIESEL | GETDIESEL.COM
    FeFiFo.com support
    DIESEL TEST = Underground Kings of Test elevation!

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Toro's quest for Strength and Shred
    By Torobestia in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 204
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 01:58 PM
  2. AI's Super Swole Stack...GoHard's Quest for Strength Absolute
    By GoHardOrGoHme in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 663
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 11:09 AM
  3. SWOLLEN87's Quest for STRENGTH (with epi)
    By swollen87 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM
  4. Testing ab strength! O/T
    By whale in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 03:02 PM
  5. ph/ps for strength?
    By Matt T in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2002, 04:37 PM
Log in
Log in