mkretz's strength quest

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

You can go to 6-8 before workout if you want.
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

did 5 creatona again today.....ok workout today, again i think my body wants to get sick but its fighting it..........def. taking tomorrow off and getting a massage to help with recovery just in case. Im noticing my muscles are feeling really weird, esp, my legs and i dont know why. Like jsut bending my legs, whether ts sitting or anythign really hurts sometimes like my muscles are going to tear like there is a lack of flexiblity or something i jsut dont now but i dont like it............

I did DL 405 and took a video just have to figure out how to get in uploaded on here

felt really good to put 4 plates on there!!!!

then did very explosve DE squats of 205 for 8 sets of 2, like i say, feels great to be explosive!

then did pendlay rows hammer rows 1 arm db rows and cg pullups along with side planks
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Upload the video to YouTube and then post it here.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

Now i know there are little pads under there but i can still get it without it!!!! dont wanna get kicked outta the gym for too much noise, hate that studpid stuff
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

one time i was doin high reps deads without those pads (like 25 reps) and i wasnt even making alot of noise but the weights kept hitting the ground and a worker came over and tried tellin me i need to stop i said "im almost done leave me alone" haha , tehy walked away and didnt say anything else haha
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

didnt plan on workings out today however, it was a beautiful day, warm (50s in january in buffalo jsut dont happen haha) and got a decent nights sleep last night so i could not resist........got in one hell of a workout, one of the best ive had in a while!

went with 6 creatona today maybe that was a little help lol

forgot my belt and i usally do cleans and my push press(split jerk) with the belt but had to go without today so i thought my weights woudl be down..............i was wrong! :-)

cleans
    135x3
    145x3
    150x3
    155x3
    160x3
    165x3 pr

push press (split jerk)
    135x3
    150x3
    160x3
    165x3
    170x3
    175x3
    185x1 - super easy!

DE Bench
    155x2x8

db press - strict 45-60 second rest periods hrough all hypertrophy work, was zoned in!
    40x10-12 4 sets

db raise
    15lb x 10-20 3 sets
    20lb x10-15 drop 10lb x 15

behind head standing smith press
    3 sets 10-20

barbell shrugs
    225x12
    245x10x3

leg raises
    15x5

overhead squat
    65x10
    75x10
    75x10
    85x10 pr!..........really suprised i was able to hold form with these after doing all that shoulder wor and abs so all my stabiliizers were fatigued!!!

the next 4 works will be my deload week of 5/3/1 so weights will be much lower and volume will be slightly decreased.......might lift tomorrow not sure though....also will keep carbs to a minimum until i start back up heavy.

tonight i my last big carb meal fora while so im gonna enjoy it haha
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

today as my first day of "deload" on 5/3/1 - went with 5 creatona only cuz it was legs will probably do 4 during he deload, tomorrow will be an off day

squat
    175x5
    200x5
    230x5

DE DLs much lighter

225x2x8

4 sets not to failure on hack squats, leg presses, ext. leg curls DB RDLs and one leggged ham curls

how do you guys usually do calories on deloads? im thinking 500 less each day?
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    today as my first day of "deload" on 5/3/1 - went with 5 creatona only cuz it was legs will probably do 4 during he deload, tomorrow will be an off day

squat
    175x5
    200x5
    230x5

DE DLs much lighter

225x2x8

4 sets not to failure on hack squats, leg presses, ext. leg curls DB RDLs and one leggged ham curls

how do you guys usually do calories on deloads? im thinking 500 less each day?
    I make one adjustment I change my workout days to be halfway between a regulary workout day and a burn day. For example my burn day is set to 1800 and my workout day to 2800 I will go 2300 on workout days but I add in any other activity I do which I always so anyways.
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

hmmm so 500 less seems good...thats what ive been doin, i liek to eat so i dontl ike it haha

today was bench and did some explosive cleans as wel

bench
    135x5
    145x5
    165x5

"rack" cleans
    115x3x8

then did db flys, incline db press, decline db press, cable fly, a few others, vbar pushdown, dips, and rev grip ext for tris then rope crunchs and strict side cable twists for abs

got alot done in short time, went jsut short of failure on everything fr hypertrophy very shirt rest periods though, lost my ipod and working out wiht no music sux!!!!!
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

not gonna lie, volume was pretty high but i woudlnt say intensity was too high so hopefully im all good
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

getting kinda lonely in here :-(

yest i did DL with DE squat then back hypertrophy work, agian delad although i got pretty into it and mightve went a lil too hard on the hypertrophy
    also decided to see how my front squat was at the very end of everything lol

DL
    225x5
    265x5
    295x5

squat
    185x2x8

pendlay rows, tbar rows, good mornings, CG pulldowns, 1 arm db rows, all 4 sets, str8 bar pulldown, lat pulldown 3 sets each

none to failure, no drops, then front squat worked up to 225 and did 1, thinking of doing frotn squats for 5/3/1 second cycle through although they are rough haha

today was an off day tomororw will be my last deload workout however it hasnt been a week..........think i should tart back up on the 2nd cycle on friday or doa nother wave of deload?
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

also, ive been using jsut sample packets of different preworkouts and havent even needed a full one yet which is crazy, i guess id otn need to be pumping myself full of prewokrout like i have been lol
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

It's getting lonely because you've ignored everyone's advice about your misguided training.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

because i do too much volume? i gues........template shows 4 exrcises i usually do 6, maybe its deload so iv e added some mroe stuff but weights are lighter so intenity is low
  16. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

because i do too much volume? i gues........template shows 4 exrcises i usually do 6, maybe its deload so iv e added some mroe stuff but weights are lighter so intenity is low
    None of the workouts you've posted have resembled anything close to 5/3/1 or Westside. You're still doing mindless volume in every session and fail to realize that each lift you do should address a specific point. The lifts you choose should not be random and you sure as hell don't need 6 lifts for your back. You're not increasing strength with that amount of volume; you're only increasing fatigue resistance.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

the beginning of the workout is exactly the template given........then it shows 4 exercises for 4 sets for hypertrophy, ok so i do 6 sometimes.....but that gives me strength (in the beginning) and hypertroph (later) right? i mean I dont see hwo that is not achieving both goals, im sorry i just have never trained for straight strength i guess and my goals are to get both not just 1 or the other, hit different fibers at different rep ranges
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

You've asked for advice that will help you get stronger, not have to eat 5,000c, follow a great program how it's written and disregarded all information given to you-yet still call it 5/3/1. People may not want to post only to correct you for every workout you do.

If you want to do 5/3/1 or Westside, then do it how it's written. No more no less. It's written how it is for a reason. Your volume has hardly changed since you said you'd decrease it.

If you want to do high volume, then do it; just don't call it 5/3/1:Westside just because you're following the 5/3/1 sets for your compound lifts. That's not what it's about. If you read the book you'd understand that. People have only been trying to help, including one of the most knowledgable members on training and you've disregarded it all.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

the beginning of the workout is exactly the template given........then it shows 4 exercises for 4 sets for hypertrophy, ok so i do 6 sometimes.....but that gives me strength (in the beginning) and hypertroph (later) right? i mean I dont see hwo that is not achieving both goals, im sorry i just have never trained for straight strength i guess and my goals are to get both not just 1 or the other, hit different fibers at different rep ranges
    Just because you're training for strength doesn't mean you won't get bigger and be in shape. Good job- you followed the beginning rep sets (although you still stack more weight on and max out) You've only accomplished 25% of what the program is really about.

The name of your thread is strength quest.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Just because you're training for strength doesn't mean you won't get bigger and be in shape. Good job- you followed the beginning rep sets (although you still stack more weight on and max out) You've only accomplished 25% of what the program is really about.

The name of your thread is strength quest.
    Yah size is more about diet.
  21. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Extra cals obviously...
    Just keep motoring Mk

-Chris
    EBF Rep
    Mobile App
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  22. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

No, you're not following the template as you're already deloading and you've neglected OHP (push-press, jerks, etc. are not the same). Your problem is too fold: the mindless volume and a wrong approach to training for strength. Training for strength focuses on movements, not muscles. For example, the bench press is not a chest exercise; it is a total body movement. You have a bench day, not a chest day. You have a squat day, not a leg day. It's this approach that separates PL'ing from BB'ing and your "template" is just some bastard amalgamation.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No, you're not following the template as you're already deloading and you've neglected OHP (push-press, jerks, etc. are not the same). Your problem is too fold: the mindless volume and a wrong approach to training for strength. Training for strength focuses on movements, not muscles. For example, the bench press is not a chest exercise; it is a total body movement. You have a bench day, not a chest day. You have a squat day, not a leg day. It's this approach that separates PL'ing from BB'ing and your "template" is just some bastard amalgamation.
    Well said.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

I jsut like to incorporate heavier weights also with bodybuilding rep ranges with lighter weights........it seemed liek teh 5/3/1 with bodybuilding assistance lifts was exactly that but i guess not.......and i didnt say i had an issue wit eatin 5000 cals or w.e which i rarely do now usually 4000 at most..............
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    according to the template your4th week is a deload thats exactly what im doing, following the 60%,7% then 80% ll for 5 reps as teh deload then move on that what it shwed when i loooked it up so if thats wrong correct me but thats what i read
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

yes, you're doing the percentages and reps for your compound movements that you actually are doing. that's not the whole system though!

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/12/53...-now-for-sale/

buy it. 20 bucks and it will better yourself and your training
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  27. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

according to the template your4th week is a deload thats exactly what im doing, following the 60%,7% then 80% ll for 5 reps as teh deload then move on that what it shwed when i loooked it up so if thats wrong correct me but thats what i read
    I've been following this logs and, although it's hard to find any discernable order, on your first week aka the "5" week, I recall you not knowing that the final set was AMRAP, so you should not have even counted that first week as it was done incorrectly. Next, the deload sets are not that high; it's 40%, 50%, 60%.

Save yourself and all of us some time and buy the damn book.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

deload is 60 65 70 in the template i saw....but i will do that next deload......start back up next cyle tomrrow
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

deload is 60 65 70 in the template i saw....but i will do that next deload......start back up next cyle tomrrow
    If the template you saw wasn't in the book, then it's likely a bull**** template. Just my .02
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    If the template you saw wasn't in the book, then it's likely a bull**** template. Just my .02

good point..........
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

started teh 2nd cycle today and have decided to go with front squats......havent doneheavy front squats in i dont knwo how long im also experimenting with putting hte bar under my fingers instead of crossing my arms, still getting used to it but i think ill be alright. I see most peopel doing it that way so hopefully its a better way haha.

I did not know what my max front squat was so i worked up to it today before starting my session

got 245 then went for 265 and missed so i figured my max is around 255 cuz 245 wasnt that bad.

From that i took 90% and calculated my weights form taht for 75,80, and 85% gave me 170,185, 195 5,5, AMRAP

only got 6 for my as many whic was a little dissapointing but still alot more than i thoguht i coudl front squat at 255 esp since i havent done them in a while so pretty happy my upper back is pretty sore which is wierd, its gotta be from teh front squats

DE DL - raised my dl max by 10lbs and took 60% of that

255x2x8

After this point my head justdidnt seem right, maybe it was from maxing out basiclaly twice on ront squats and then deadlifting. also been eatin low carb recently, looking forward to a carb up on my birthday on monday :-)

leg press 4 sets 10-20

hack squat 4 sets 10-20

lunges 30 steps 4 sets

1 leg leg ext. 4 sets

1 leg ham curl standing 4 sets

seated leg curl 4 sets

butt machine - sorry, i want a good butt haha, and i knwo squat, squat, squat, but a lil fine tuning never hurt
  32. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I give up.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

So...I take it you don't trust Jim Wendler and Louie Simmons' advice. Just don't call your training program a 5/3/1:Westside hybrid, and I'll stop.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Dis thred iz killr u guis!! Dnt h8!!!11
    Cultivating Mass.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

What is a "butt machine?" And why was that the only thing spelled correctly?
    BOARD TYRANT
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Piston Honda View Post
    What is a "butt machine?" And why was that the only thing spelled correctly?
    I think I've seen one in a porno.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

This thread makes me lol on a constant basis. I'm going to re-read this on days that I feel down. Sorry helping guys, sorry mkretz. I just can't help myself.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

My head is spinning. You are doing way too much work in the gym bro. You're not gonna get stronger by doing so much volume unless you're eating a shyt ton of food which does not coincide with your IF diet protocol. I don't even think there's a point for you to do IF because of your smaller size to begin with. You need to eat more, lift less, and recover. It's like going to the gym when its packed and you have a plan in mind and everyone is getting in the way and there are people doing bicep curls in the squat rack and its your leg day and now all you want to do is kill someone because you can't stand how stupid they all are and how they are not really taking any of this shyt seriously so in the end they are just wasting their time and yours as well and one of them comes up to you and asks if you juice because they don't understand how you can lift so much more than them and you say no I've been lifting for years and I eat 5-7 times a day and I keep track of my diet and I spend time learning more everyday because I love this shyt and they say whatever and continue to think you are "cheating" because they have no clue what this lifestyle is about so you offer them advice and they blow you off because they "know more than you do" even though that is not at all possible.

Rant...
    Independent Review
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post
    My head is spinning. You are doing way too much work in the gym bro. You're not gonna get stronger by doing so much volume unless you're eating a shyt ton of food which does not coincide with your IF diet protocol. I don't even think there's a point for you to do IF because of your smaller size to begin with. You need to eat more, lift less, and recover. It's like going to the gym when its packed and you have a plan in mind and everyone is getting in the way and there are people doing bicep curls in the squat rack and its your leg day and now all you want to do is kill someone because you can't stand how stupid they all are and how they are not really taking any of this shyt seriously so in the end they are just wasting their time and yours as well and one of them comes up to you and asks if you juice because they don't understand how you can lift so much more than them and you say no I've been lifting for years and I eat 5-7 times a day and I keep track of my diet and I spend time learning more everyday because I love this shyt and they say whatever and continue to think you are "cheating" because they have no clue what this lifestyle is about so you offer them advice and they blow you off because they "know more than you do" even though that is not at all possible.

Rant...

i inow how u feel with teh squat rack, **** happens often actually at mygym esp one tiem whena kid was doing "shrugs" then woudl walk away for liek 5 min and come back and do soem more horrible shrugs will ike 500lbs all while im obviously waiting.............will update more tomorrow, less volume.........today was teh bday so had a busy daycya tomrorow !
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Answers

i inow how u feel with teh squat rack, **** happens often actually at mygym esp one tiem whena kid was doing "shrugs" then woudl walk away for liek 5 min and come back and do soem more horrible shrugs will ike 500lbs all while im obviously waiting.............will update more tomorrow, less volume.........today was teh bday so had a busy daycya tomrorow !
    Jesus I lost iq points reading that .
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Toro's quest for Strength and Shred
    By Torobestia in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 204
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
  2. AI's Super Swole Stack...GoHard's Quest for Strength Absolute
    By GoHardOrGoHme in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 663
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
  3. SWOLLEN87's Quest for STRENGTH (with epi)
    By swollen87 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
  4. Testing ab strength! O/T
    By whale in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 02:02 PM
  5. ph/ps for strength?
    By Matt T in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2002, 03:37 PM