mkretz's strength quest

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hey hey guys and gals haha.......starting up a new log, ust got done runnin an incredible stack of recompadrol for 4 weeks and lecheek mass hgh for 8 weeks. amazing stack for sure!!! put on about 2-4 lbs of quality size and strength slightly inreased as well! I have finally started a more regimented program with a few of my own tweaks. My old workouts were crazy. 50-60 sets for chest , ya know dumb stuff liek that. I was able to make some gains suprisingly. I have now started the 5/3/1 program but am following a westside hybrid style that incorportates a DE lift each workout and for my assessory lifts I am following a bodybuilding protocol with a few exercises with rep ranges in the 10-20 range sometimes going as high as 30. I am trying to stay away from drop sets but do throw them in with some exercises but not all like i used to.

for diet I follow If but Im not gonna lie, do it kinda dumb. I think I want to eventually get away from 1 huge meal at night which is what I do, but as of right now I reall yliek being able to eat like all night long lol. I know it may not be 100% the best way to put on size which is the reason i may switch to at least a few smaller meals, but I do like the IF style of living, being able to jsut get up and go in the morning although hunger does get pretty bad.

For this log I will be using finaflex n.o ignite 2 the newer version without DMAA. I have used the original with DMAA and absolutely loved it, one of my favorite preworkouts hands down. It is also worth noting that i am a bg time stim junkie, i feel like my tolerance is pretty high since i really never take a break from stims and pre workouts again, somethin i really should do :-(. Because of this high stim ingestion i make sure to have revamp on hand often. I just started my 2nd bottle. I will usually run 2 bottles then take a break then anotehr 2 bottles. I will also be stacking finaflex creatona caps with this for hopefully some amazing workouts!!! Other than that I will take beta alanine, alcar, and on nights when i feel i really need to sleep will be using finaflex g8. I absolutely love thsi stuff but i have to have time to sleep or else i wake up groggy, and i usually dont even use a half a scoop. But sometimes i need the stuff cuz my sleep is not very good whatsoever. I will also be taking zma, ADAM multivitamin and fish oil caps. I will take 500mgs vit c pre and post workout as well as in teh morning and with my meal for a total of 2g a day. I also supplement with vit d 4000 ius a day during the winter.......no sun in damn buffalo in the winter haha

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also my maxed are around

225 bench
315 squat
405 DL goals are 1.5x bw bench 2x bw squat 2.5x bw DL

I am currently 5'9 and aroudn 162-163

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok here we go ...

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
In bro.
Loved i2

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
glad to have you in! Ignite 2 original was amazing and so far this is just as good!

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
today preworkout dosed 4 caps creatona.....been using it for a few days now and jsut started 4 caps yest and today. before that i was only doing 3.

also dosed 1 heaping scoop n.o. ignite 2.....and for those who are not familiar with how i dose my preworkouts i begin siping before and then continue throughout my workout.........ignite 2 was strong enough that i did not finish it so its def. got that kick. and kept my gon strong......

taste is amazing btw, i have the berry flavor and i can not remember a preworkout that tasted this good it is liek friggin candy, i really jsut want to eat teh powder sometiems, like a pixie sick pre workout, not that sounds good !!!!

the workout

bench 5/3/1 DE clean

bench
165x3
175x3
185x8+2 forced

Clean
110x3x8 - REALLY explosive

DB incline
55x12
55x10
55x8 rest 2
55x7 rest 3

weighted dips
10x10
10x10
10x10
10x9 drop BW x 3

Barbell decline
115x16
115x18
115x20

DB fly w/twist
30x12x4

DB pullover
50x15x4

weighted sit ups
35x10
35x12
40x10
40x10 drop bwx10

cable chops
80x15x4

DB overhead tricep ext
60x12
60x12
60x10
60x9 drop 40x9

rev grip cable pressdown
3 set 10-12

barbell rollout 4 sets

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
glad to have you in! Ignite 2 original was amazing and so far this is just as good!
No crash,smooth and consistent energy,endurance and some pump.

This shined for me for sustained energy

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yep im gettin the same effects!! thinkin of throwin sum hemavol in with it one day haha

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're still doing way too much volume and unnecessary lifts. Cleans are something that will never fall into a DE or a ME as it doesn't have an eccentric portion and has to be done in one swift movement.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea, i had cut vlume down to exactly waht the template ahd but i just felt liek i needed more :-(..........i still want to do cleans though, theres no denying that they are good for power..........so why not keep them in?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea, i had cut vlume down to exactly waht the template ahd but i just felt liek i needed more :-(..........i still want to do cleans though, theres no denying that they are good for power..........so why not keep them in?
In all fairness, you don't know what you need as your previous training was so excessive that you don't know how to go all out into your ME and supplemental sets. I never said to remove cleans, but they are not something that falls under ME or DE due to their nature.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you mind posting the template you have? When I search "5/3/1 Westside Hybrid" this is what I find:

"Monday- DE Bench, heavier OHP
Tuesday-Wendler squat, DE deads
Thursday-Wendler bench
Friday-Wendler deads, DE squat

For assistance work, use exercises that address your weaknesses. Please remember that this sample hybrid program is only an example, presented to get you thinking about the possibilities. There are many ways to combine Westside and Wendler's, and many reasons why someone would want to do so.

When jumping into a hybrid routine, always proceed with caution. Start slow, and work your way into it. Don't set up the hybrid with too much work. It's better to get the feel of a hybrid program, and then to add work, then it is to kill yourself and have to pull back on work."

Note: Assistance exercises that address weaknesses, & don't start with too much work

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
that is the template i used and the first week i stuck to exactly what was written under bodybuilding assistance exercises but the 2nd week through i added stuff.........and instead of OHP i did push press again for more power, and also added in cleans because i was once a colllege athlete and want to maintain or get back some power........todays workout was much less, I got through everythign including a lengthy warm up in 1.5 hours exactly.

DL 5/3/1 DE squat

lower back was really bothering me today, i think tis from the seated goodmornings i did a few days ago, dunno if ill be doin those again
I got a massage and decided to get after it, still didnt feelgreat but pushed through and had one hell of a workout, had good connection with my back and pulled some good weight

DL
295x3
315x3
335x7 PR
i knwo ur gonna kill me for this but decided to go for 390 since i did 385 last week (not my 1RM but just a heavy single), felt good

DE squat
195x2x8 - really explosive felt good

Good mornings

135x10
135x10
135x10
140x10

CG pull up 4 ets BW - 6,6,5+1,4+2, i suck at these :-(

1 arm db row ( really felt these today focused on contractions and got drenched in sweat lol)
60x12x4

CG low cable row 4 sets 10-12

hammer strength pulldown 3 sets 10-15

lat pulldown 3 sets 10-15

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
really good focus and intensitythroughout the workout!

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was extremely focused throughout todays workout an felt liek i ahd a really good workout, good strength as well. Maybe cuz i got extra sleep last night,didnt sleep that great but sitll longer than normal.

also, I thought about what rodja was saying regarding cleans and decided to change up how i did them and push presses today, instead of following 5/3/1 with a max effort set of as many reps as possible i jsut kept increasing weight and doing 3 reps for 6 sets......so im kinda followign 5/3/1 cuz next week I think i will work up to a few singles

cleans
135x3
145x3
150x3
155x3
160x3
160x3

Push press (split jerk)
135x3
150x3
160x3
165x3
170x3
175x3!! pr

DE bench
145x2x8

DB shoulder press
40x10x4

DB lateral raise
15x15
15x15
15x12+3
20x10+5 (slow negatives) drop 10x15 - as i fatigued i bent my elbows moreand more....this really kept the burn going, really liek that!

behind the neck press, smith machine, standing
65x15
65x15
65x13 drop 45x7

leg raises 15x5 sets

DB twist curl

15x15
20x12
20x12
20x10+2 drop 15x10

1 arm db curl (over bench)
15x15
15x15
15x15+3 alll numbers are for right arm, much easier with left (im left handed)

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah focus is really good on this ..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your sessions are all over the place and have no concise direction. You're not following anything that remotely resembles Westside and your remark about 5/3/1 shows that you still haven't done your research on that template either.

amateurfreak

Awards
I agree and I think Westside is way to complicated to try to understand and implement in such a short amount of time. Just buy the 5/3/1 book or ebook. Wendler even talks about where to add cleans into his program in the book if you're dead set on the movement.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recommend following a program EXACTLY how it's written. It's written that way for a reason. Your "Squat & Back" day is in neither template you've mentioned that your following

instead of following 5/3/1 with a max effort set of as many reps as possible i jsut kept increasing weight and doing 3 reps for 6 sets......so im kinda followign 5/3/1 cuz next week I think i will work up to a few singles
Nothing you've said there says that you are remotely "kinda following 5/3/1"

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Check out on YouTube "WSB vs 5/3/1, Are they complicated?" it's one of Clint Darden's videos.

Somewhat topical. I don't have enough post to copy paste the link.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I recommend following a program EXACTLY how it's written. It's written that way for a reason. Your "Squat & Back" day is in neither template you've mentioned that your following

Nothing you've said there says that you are remotely "kinda following 5/3/1"
i dont knwo what squat nd back day you are talking about......the squat day with DE dl is part of the estside hybrid version and so is the DL with DE squat

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I meant deadlift, not squat, sorry. All I saw was all the leg movements, and then your 4 movements for back. I didnt realize that was a part of your template. Now I know.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
today was an off day.....did some cardio took 2 creatona before cardio and 2 with my meal. Had alot of energy throughout cardio, dunno if creatona played a factor. Was pretty motivated because iw as pressed for time so i wanted to make the most of my time.

tomorrow will be squat 5/3/1 with DE DL.....final week so i will be working up to 95% of 90% 1rm for As many as possible, should be intense! looking forward to it esp since I pinned tonight (im on 100mgs/week test cyp TRT) so ill have lots of test :)

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i do the goodmornings as an assessory lift for my lower back on the DL day and the rest are back exercises, im liking it..... again not exactly the program but sitll following the bodybuilding assessory template which has 4 exercises for around 3-4 sets each

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Crea-trona does add some physical energy, I mean that's what an increase in ATP is all about.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crea-trona does add some physical energy, I mean that's what an increase in ATP is all about.

enjoying ti so far DW! curious as to why dosing post workout isnt recommended at all like creatine monoydrate is at times? Ive been doing 4 caps preworkout and with the n.o ignite im sure im getting alot of creatona, but i have been tempted to try 6

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So all day i was thinkin about todays workout, gettin hyped for it but when it came time for it i dunno i wasnt allthere......throughout parts it was good, still intense but i dunno jsut felt liek my body was holding back a bit. Still not upset with it but jsut one of those feels liek it oculdve been better. i pushed and pushed but my body was stoppping ya know.

Squat
215x5
245x3
270x5 PR.........for started to get pretty bad the last 2.....rounded back ............tried 315, got it but form was not good as i started to come up rounded my back alot :-( what would u say is my weak spot? lower back? core? upper back? i really hunched pretty bad on 315.

DE DL
280x2x8

Legs press
230x16
230x16
230x18
230x18 rest +2 drop 140x20 Drop 90x 25!

Hack squat
70x20
70x16
90x12
90x12 drop 70x5 rest +5 drop 50x12!

1 leg smith squat
65x15x4

ext

130x12x4 double drop on last set

barbell hip thrust (glute bridge) - each rep was a seperate explosive raise rather than constant tension

275x10
285x10
295x10
305x10

Barbell RDL
155x15
175x12
175x11
175x10

seated leg curl
my shin was bothering me so i couldnt extend my toes upward which puts alot more emphsis on the hams so the weight i could handle was alot less
3 sets 10-15

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would say that if your form began to suffer at your last 2 reps of 270, then moving up to squat 315 was a bad idea in general. You shouldn't push yourself that extra bit unless you're absolutely sure you can execute your lift correctly.

It's hard to give you an answer without actually seeing it. Rounding your back could be caused by several things. Your bar placement (high bar vs low bar)will change your center of gravity. Your core may not be as tight as it should. Your upper back may not be strong enough. Who knows without seeing it though. Could be tons of things.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks, i know it was an ego thing...........ill try to shoot a video at some point if i can

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know sometmes the days where I am really jazzed I do shyte, and when I feel like crap I often do very well....

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know sometmes the days where I am really jazzed I do shyte, and when I feel like crap I often do very well....
funny u say that cuz that really seems how my work oouts go. Ill feel dead but ill force myself to go and once i get going i kill it....yest. still was a decnt workout but it was ust missing that mental link..........I was supposed to workout today but got stuck at work for almost 10 hours instead of the scheduled 6 so i just did some cardio and went home...........took two creatona before cardio and 2 right now (before bed)

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
funny u say that cuz that really seems how my work oouts go. Ill feel dead but ill force myself to go and once i get going i kill it....yest. still was a decnt workout but it was ust missing that mental link..........I was supposed to workout today but got stuck at work for almost 10 hours instead of the scheduled 6 so i just did some cardio and went home...........took two creatona before cardio and 2 right now (before bed)
Yah the days where I am dragging my ass are usually the best.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
need that ignite 2!!!!!!
Nutra doesn't have the newest version. Customs will hold it up... Draggin ass bad aye. Coffee and some tyrosine don't do it at the moment.

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today was a wierd day......started out ok then started feeling kind of sick about half way through the day....... I then went to an interview for a cool position where I woudl be able to basically run a summer weight loss camp for high school girls. It went really well so i had all teh confidence in the world and this translated right over to my workout!

I took 5 creatona today just to try it out.....i may even try 6 tomorrow, what do ya think?

I also tried no ignite 2 with a scoop of hemavol.....was def a good workout

Started out by tryin to do 225 bench ust to seehwo it felt.....a few weeks ago i "got it" with a spot, im pretty srue i got it but it was close......today hwever, no problem so that felt great to know i am getting stronger.

workout!

bench
155x5
175x3
195x5! pr!

Cleans
135x3x8 - just focusing on explosiveness - i love feeling explosive nothing better in my opinion!

incline db press - fatigued really fast on these today for some reason
55x12
55x10
50x10
40x12

weighted dips - 10 lbs
x12
x10
x8 then saw a buddy and took a longer break......all otehr breaks were strictly 60 seconds or less except the first sets of bench which were 2 min.
x12 drop Bodyweight x 4

decline machine press
4 sets 10-20

DB fly
35x12x4

machine fly fst 7 style

rope pressdown
3 sets 10-15 drop on last set

dip machine
3 sets 10-20 drop on last set

1 arm DB neutral grip ext
15lbx10-15
+ a few forced reps on last set

weighted crunches
40lbx12x5

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can go to 6-8 before workout if you want.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
did 5 creatona again today.....ok workout today, again i think my body wants to get sick but its fighting it..........def. taking tomorrow off and getting a massage to help with recovery just in case. Im noticing my muscles are feeling really weird, esp, my legs and i dont know why. Like jsut bending my legs, whether ts sitting or anythign really hurts sometimes like my muscles are going to tear like there is a lack of flexiblity or something i jsut dont now but i dont like it............

I did DL 405 and took a video just have to figure out how to get in uploaded on here

felt really good to put 4 plates on there!!!!

then did very explosve DE squats of 205 for 8 sets of 2, like i say, feels great to be explosive!

then did pendlay rows hammer rows 1 arm db rows and cg pullups along with side planks

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[video=youtube;QR7RsMHQxpo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR7RsMHQxpo&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Now i know there are little pads under there but i can still get it without it!!!! dont wanna get kicked outta the gym for too much noise, hate that studpid stuff

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
one time i was doin high reps deads without those pads (like 25 reps) and i wasnt even making alot of noise but the weights kept hitting the ground and a worker came over and tried tellin me i need to stop i said "im almost done leave me alone" haha , tehy walked away and didnt say anything else haha

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
didnt plan on workings out today however, it was a beautiful day, warm (50s in january in buffalo jsut dont happen haha) and got a decent nights sleep last night so i could not resist........got in one hell of a workout, one of the best ive had in a while!

went with 6 creatona today maybe that was a little help lol

forgot my belt and i usally do cleans and my push press(split jerk) with the belt but had to go without today so i thought my weights woudl be down..............i was wrong! :)

cleans
135x3
145x3
150x3
155x3
160x3
165x3 pr

push press (split jerk)
135x3
150x3
160x3
165x3
170x3
175x3
185x1 - super easy!

DE Bench
155x2x8

db press - strict 45-60 second rest periods hrough all hypertrophy work, was zoned in!
40x10-12 4 sets

db raise
15lb x 10-20 3 sets
20lb x10-15 drop 10lb x 15

behind head standing smith press
3 sets 10-20

barbell shrugs
225x12
245x10x3

leg raises
15x5

overhead squat
65x10
75x10
75x10
85x10 pr!..........really suprised i was able to hold form with these after doing all that shoulder wor and abs so all my stabiliizers were fatigued!!!

the next 4 works will be my deload week of 5/3/1 so weights will be much lower and volume will be slightly decreased.......might lift tomorrow not sure though....also will keep carbs to a minimum until i start back up heavy.

tonight i my last big carb meal fora while so im gonna enjoy it haha

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
today as my first day of "deload" on 5/3/1 - went with 5 creatona only cuz it was legs will probably do 4 during he deload, tomorrow will be an off day

squat
175x5
200x5
230x5

DE DLs much lighter

225x2x8

4 sets not to failure on hack squats, leg presses, ext. leg curls DB RDLs and one leggged ham curls

how do you guys usually do calories on deloads? im thinking 500 less each day?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
today as my first day of "deload" on 5/3/1 - went with 5 creatona only cuz it was legs will probably do 4 during he deload, tomorrow will be an off day

squat
175x5
200x5
230x5

DE DLs much lighter

225x2x8

4 sets not to failure on hack squats, leg presses, ext. leg curls DB RDLs and one leggged ham curls

how do you guys usually do calories on deloads? im thinking 500 less each day?
I make one adjustment I change my workout days to be halfway between a regulary workout day and a burn day. For example my burn day is set to 1800 and my workout day to 2800 I will go 2300 on workout days but I add in any other activity I do which I always so anyways.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hmmm so 500 less seems good...thats what ive been doin, i liek to eat so i dontl ike it haha

today was bench and did some explosive cleans as wel

bench
135x5
145x5
165x5

"rack" cleans
115x3x8

then did db flys, incline db press, decline db press, cable fly, a few others, vbar pushdown, dips, and rev grip ext for tris then rope crunchs and strict side cable twists for abs

got alot done in short time, went jsut short of failure on everything fr hypertrophy very shirt rest periods though, lost my ipod and working out wiht no music sux!!!!!