The ACHILLES Heal of Snags...

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very cool label and I have been interested in this product. Glad that a "seasoned" lifter is reviewing it. Lol

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. Looking forward to some feedback on this.

cdiblasi

cdiblasi

Awards
  • Established
In over here too. :) Kill it snages!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff Snags I am here also. Some stuff I am not familiar with and some I am in this product. Anteaus always brings it to the table so curious to hear your thoughts on it.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for this.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In over here too. :) Kill it snages!
@ cdiblasi : Other than the already well liked Cissus is there anything you can tell us about the ingredients? I don't have time to go research and figure you might have some info you can provide?

cdiblasi

cdiblasi

Awards
  • Established
@ cdiblasi : Other than the already well liked Cissus is there anything you can tell us about the ingredients? I don't have time to go research and figure you might have some info you can provide?
I PM'd you brother. I don't have enough posts to post links yet.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
136 posts, and still can't do links? :think:

well i'll help out here - direct from the AL website:

Achilles

Ultimate Joint Support

By combining cutting-edge pharmaceutical-grade ingredients with tried-and-tested high-quality herbal extracts, new Achilles from Antaeus Labs brings you the most advanced joint-support formula on the market!

Every hero has a weakness. For many weightlifters and bodybuilders this is their joints. Tendons and ligaments bear the brunt of punishing weight-lifting sessions, commonly becoming inflamed and sore.

The connective tissue just can't keep up with the heavier and heavier weights lifted week after week.

Niggling pains become chronic injuries, often requiring a forced rest, a change of routine or the permanent dropping of some exercises altogether.

Ingredients:

Palmitoylethanolamide
40 years of scientific research has established Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) as one of the most important endogenous painkilling and anti-inflammatory compounds.
The naturally occurring fatty acid amide palmitoylethanolamide is an agonist of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPAR-α). [1] PPAR-α agonists have been shown to be effective for both acute and chronic pain. [2]
PEA can modulate pain sensitivity (nociception) by regulating mast cells. [3] Mast cells release bioactive mediators like histamine (that dilates blood vessels leading to swelling, redness, and warmth [4]) and nerve growth factor (that produces inflammation and sensitization of pain-sensing neurons [5]).

Heteropterys Aphrodisiaca
Brazilian traditional medicine uses H. aphrodisiaca for, among other things, muscle and bone weakness – use that has been borne out recently when a study found that H. aphrodisiaca-treated trained rats had stronger tendons that could take a bigger load and more stress than untreated trained rats. [6]

“H. aphrodisiaca associated with endurance training contributed to more efficient remodeling of the extracellular matrix, resulting in more resistant tendons to support high loads from intense muscle contraction. These findings suggest that H. aphrodisiaca infusion is a potential aid to optimize tendon remodeling in athletes.” [6]

Kirenol
The plant Xi Xian Cao (Siegesbeckia orientalis) has been used for centuries in traditional chinese medicine (TCM) for its anti-inflammatory properties. One constituent of Siegesbeckia is Kirenol – which has recently been discovered to be a potent anti-inflammatory that also suppressed joint inflammation and inhibited cartilage and bone destruction in a rat model of arthritis. [7][8]

Cissus Quadrangularis
Asthisamharaka (Cissus Quadrangularis) is another herb that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to heal broken bones and injured ligaments and tendons. [9] Numerous studies show that Cissus is anti-osteoporotic and pro-osteogenic, and it’s long been a staple in the arsenal of athletes and bodybuilders with joint problems. [10][11]
“There was shortening of about two weeks in the duration of bone healing. The hastening in the fracture healing was attributed to the stimulation of all cells of mesenchymal origin, namely, the fibroblasts, chondroblasts and osteoblasts, by Cissus quandrangularis.” [10]

Zingiber Zerumbet
Zingiber Zerumbet is a species of ginger, the rhizome (root) of which has been used traditionally throughout Southeast Asia to treat pain and inflammation. Recent studies have demonstrated antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. [12] In addition to containing molecules such as 6-gingerol, which are very well-known anti-inflammatory modulators, some of the phytochemical constituents that make up Zingiber Zerumbet have been found to be potent histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors. [13] Several studies have recently concluded that HDAC inhibition can reduce joint inflammation and protect cartilage. [14][15][16]

“In conclusion, inhibition of HDAC prevents joint inflammation and cartilage and bone destruction in experimental arthritis.” [14]

“HDAC inhibitors may therefore be novel chondroprotective therapeutic agents in arthritis by virtue of their ability to inhibit the expression of destructive metalloproteinases by chondrocytes.” [15]

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

References:
[1] Verme JL, Fu J, Astarita G, Rana GL, Russo R, Calignano A, et al. The Nuclear Receptor Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor-α Mediates the Anti-Inflammatory Actions of Palmitoylethanolamide. Mol Pharmacol. 2005 Jan 1;67(1):15–9.
[2] Fehrenbacher JC, Loverme J, Clarke W, Hargreaves KM, Piomelli D, Taylor BK. Rapid pain modulation with nuclear receptor ligands. Brain Res Rev. 2009 Apr;60(1):114–24.
[3] Mazzari S, Canella R, Petrelli L, Marcolongo G, Leon A. N-(2-hydroxyethyl)hexadecanamide is orally active in reducing edema formation and inflammatory hyperalgesia by down-modulating mast cell activation. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 1996 Apr 11;300(3):227–36.
[4] Prussin C, Metcalfe DD. 4. IgE, mast cells, basophils, and eosinophils. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2003 Feb;111(2 Suppl):S486–494.
[5] Nicol GD, Vasko MR. Unraveling the story of NGF-mediated sensitization of nociceptive sensory neurons: ON or OFF the Trks? Mol. Interv. 2007 Feb;7(1):26–41.
[6] Monteiro JC, Gomes ML, Tomiosso TC, Nakagaki WR, Sbervelheri MM, Ferrucci DL, et al. More resistant tendons obtained from the association of Heteropterys aphrodisiaca and endurance training. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2011 Jun 28;11(1):51.
[7] Lu Y, Xiao J, Wu Z-W, Wang Z-M, Hu J, Fu H-Z, et al. Kirenol exerts a potent anti-arthritic effect in collagen-induced arthritis by modifying the T cells balance. Phytomedicine. 2012 Jul 15;19(10):882–9.
[8] Wang Z-M, Zhu S-G, Wu Z-W, Lu Y, Fu H-Z, Qian R-Q. Kirenol upregulates nuclear annexin-1 which interacts with NF-κB to attenuate synovial inflammation of collagen-induced arthritis in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Sep 1;137(1):774–82.
[9] Upadhya V, Hegde HV, Bhat S, Hurkadale PJ, Kholkute SD, Hegde GR. Ethnomedicinal plants used to treat bone fracture from North-Central Western Ghats of India. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012 Jul 13;142(2):557–62.
[10] Singh V, Singh N, Pal US, Dhasmana S, Mohammad S, Singh N. Clinical evaluation of cissus quadrangularis and moringa oleifera and osteoseal as osteogenic agents in mandibular fracture. Natl J Maxillofac Surg. 2011;2(2):132–6.
[11] Aswar UM, Mohan V, Bodhankar SL. Antiosteoporotic activity of phytoestrogen-rich fraction separated from ethanol extract of aerial parts of Cissus quadrangularis in ovariectomized rats. Indian J Pharmacol. 2012;44(3):345–50.
[12] Yob NJ, Jofrry SM, Affandi MMRMM, Teh LK, Salleh MZ, Zakaria ZA. Zingiber zerumbet (L.) Smith: A Review of Its Ethnomedicinal, Chemical, and Pharmacological Uses. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med [Internet]. 2011.
[13] Chung I-M, Kim M-Y, Park W-H, Moon H-I. Histone deacetylase inhibitors from the rhizomes of Zingiber zerumbet. Pharmazie. 2008 Oct;63(10):774–6.
[14] Joosten LA, Leoni F, Meghji S, Mascagni P. Inhibition of HDAC Activity by ITF2357 Ameliorates Joint Inflammation and Prevents Cartilage and Bone Destruction in Experimental Arthritis. Mol Med. 2011;17(5-6):391–6.
[15] Young DA, Lakey RL, Pennington CJ, Jones D, Kevorkian L, Edwards DR, et al. Histone deacetylase inhibitors modulate metalloproteinase gene expression in chondrocytes and block cartilage resorption. Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7(3):R503–R512.
[16] Chen W-P, Bao J-P, Hu P-F, Feng J, Wu L-D. Alleviation of osteoarthritis by Trichostatin A, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, in experimental osteoarthritis. Mol. Biol. Rep. 2010 Dec;37(8):3967–72.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like what I read he was kind enough to PM it to me. I was going to put it in here but got sidetracked.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
while Achilles is in transit, i took couple days off to rest up - the calm before the storm. ;)

back at it today, did some leg work: atg BB squats, DB jump squats, BB rdl's, and BB calf raises @ 3 toe positions).

i have been using the Freak Workout designed by world-renowned trainer Jon Doyle for the past couple months..it's a fairly high-frequency program, training 5 and 6 days a week thruout. almost into month 3 (where the plan changes again), but i don't know how much longer i'll follow the protocol before i veer off on my own design again....

the goal this off-season is to add some quality muscle while remaining lean, and currently i'm after some strength too, so plenty of heavy iron is on tap to be thrown around.

i have in mind a pretty intense month of training to put Achilles to the test.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
Your last log was very informative and super entertaining!!! Still rocking your 10x3 as a nice change of pace.

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
In it for the support Snags! Just got my Achilles log up!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
during phase I of the Freak Workout, my elbows starting throbbing something fierce. now, i typically have some kind of ache or pain going on at all times, but i'd never experienced any elbow issues really..

still a bit of tender forearms, and L shoulder pain and limit on ROM - these are all things lingering from tennis.

anyway, i make it sound worse than it is lol..i'm really in decent shape currently, but if i can get some analgesic benefits to these minor nags while also seeing some healing effects, this product will be worth its weight in gold.

hopefully, Achilles will arrive today!

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hoping you can get on Achilles soon and get rid of the pain. Great work Snagency, your last log was killer!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
thank you BBG. appreciate it!

and welcome all - the eagle has landed. Achilles arrived and i have taken 2 doses this day...
it has begun. :drive:

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
okay, let's catch up to date.

i decided to drop into my own routine for awhile, a 5x weekly/1-basic-muscle-group-per-day routine that i have used on/off for well over a decade now.
so, training (following my mini-break) has been:

WED - legs/calves
THUR - shoulders
FRI - back
SAT - arms/abs

off day tomorrow, then

MON chest/abs
TUE - off
repeat

that will be the basis for the next month..i have heavy days and also hi-rep days, and i will be using drop sets/negatives/speed reps and other fun tactics thruout as well. dietary intake will be slimmed down (slightly) as i harden things up just a bit, composition-wise.

so far - 3 doses in..nothing to report.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Headed to Troy...time to conquer!

dawilk59

dawilk59

Awards
Sweet label brotha!!!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
i should mention - been using cissus q for ~25 days, 10 days prior to starting this log.
maybe that'll give me unique perspective on how this stacks up directly, as i've long been a fan of cissus....

some of these names, man..who comes up with this stuff?

heteropterys aphrodisiaca..makes me think of herpes
zingiber zerumbet (seriously?)
palitylethanolamide (gesundheit)
siegesbeckea orientalis (in some parts of the world saying this this may incite a fight to the death)

i love herbs, don't get me wrong. i've experienced first-hand some tremendous healing and progress with herbs, and have a favorable healthy respect.

the names man..they strike me humerous.

anyway - tho i won't continue to update daily, i will say i am sore as hell today..back, arms, did some chest today (dint feel like taking a day off, will tomorrow tho)..
no notable difference in joints to this point.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
3 days and 6 doses in..
i'm beginning to sense some relief.
just a general lack of soreness and stiffness this morning upon rising - felt nice!

btw, weight ~202.5 upon rising.
taking Achilles with breakfast, and again at supper (2 caps per).

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
3 days and 6 doses in..
i'm beginning to sense some relief.
just a general lack of soreness and stiffness this morning upon rising - felt nice!

btw, weight ~202.5 upon rising.
taking Achilles with breakfast, and again at supper (2 caps per).
Keep at it brotha!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
the 5th morning was the same as the 4th - less inflammation/aching in general, felt more loose - suggesting that what i felt day before was not a fluke.
did some legwork this day, DB lunges were included.

a sample leg day:
4x12/10/8/8 BB squats
4x12/10/8/8 DB lunges
3x 12 BB rdl's
3x15 leg extensions ss w/ leg curls
4x12-15 BB calf raises

rests are anywhere from 90sec to 120sec.
explosive form is used where applicable.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
okay....seriously excited this morning ladies & germs..

shoulder day, pumped up the volume a bit, weights moderate to heavy, rest periods 90sec thruout.
my L shoulder was on another plane today guys: better ROM, no stiffness, aaaaand --- REDUCED PAIN, i mean pain i'm used to cut in half at least.
was going to wait for the 1-week-in update to add more here, but i am pretty damn stoked about this.

:hammer:

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
1-WEEK REVIEW: couldn't ask for anything more in the first week of use with Achilles. started feeling some relief in my joints upon waking on the 4th day, and haven't looked back since. these past few days have seen me get some ROM back in my L shoulder, while also withstanding a brutal isolated shoulder pounding in training..my elbows, which had given me problems towards end of SEP/beginning of OCT then got better when i treated with CQ, then were feeling a lil tender again coming into this, are already pain-free.
(the only thing was today in training, i felt twinge in my R forearm..so we'll see how that goes)

the most impressive quality of this product in the early going - to me anyway - is the analgesic effect i'm getting.
at my age, you always seem to have lil nagging aches & pains; but (ultra-impressive here) the usual aches i get, i've not gotten..
it's awesome!

SUMMATION: again only 1 week in, but truly huge thumbs up to this point. looking forward to the rest of this, when i start throwing some real heavy iron around..
:firedevil:

bcazo

bcazo

Awards
nice review so far think I'm going to have to get some in my Black friday order

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking good for my purchase as well

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
come eat with me fellas....
one of my lean, smaller meals in my ever-alternating and shifting dietary scheme, muahuahuahahahhaaaaa. :evil:

and - this is where snag is at right now.

taking diet back to gain mode, keeping things extremely clean tho just in caloric excess..
i'm also going to be adding a hormonal product (or two) into the fray, more on that to come..
weights are going to be majority heavy weight/lower reps for awhile, tho i will still have some high rep days in just for change.

for now, supps are fairly basic.
multi
fish oil
preWO (sometimes), varies as to what i use, mainly been super pump max but i'm not partial to it, just got it at stupid cheap price for the product it is, had to pull the trigger..soon will switch over to Ignite2. i loved that stuff when i used it during the summer..
protein powders (of course) - mostly isolates but some blends as well. i also enjoy making my own blends/ratios.
Axon - but i'm coming off that now as i been on it awhile, current bottle is empty so time to break, loved that stuff btw, great experience thruout. big shout out to AL, these guys will be on the move if they keep churning out quality product like they have been. i have been impressed personally, in my albeit limited experience with product line.

anyway - update on product. Achilles is really the only thing that i'm using that is new, and i just have been feeling really good every day these past few days. both physically, and mentally. very refreshed.
very cool, had to mention. :)

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Food pic = bolt re-entering thread. :D

Been popping the cissus pills lately but Achilles and other more comprehensive formulas have piqued my interest lately. Will be following this log more closely now.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1-WEEK REVIEW: couldn't ask for anything more in the first week of use with Achilles. started feeling some relief in my joints upon waking on the 4th day, and haven't looked back since. these past few days have seen me get some ROM back in my L shoulder, while also withstanding a brutal isolated shoulder pounding in training..my elbows, which had given me problems towards end of SEP/beginning of OCT then got better when i treated with CQ, then were feeling a lil tender again coming into this, are already pain-free.
(the only thing was today in training, i felt twinge in my R forearm..so we'll see how that goes)

the most impressive quality of this product in the early going - to me anyway - is the analgesic effect i'm getting.
at my age, you always seem to have lil nagging aches & pains; but (ultra-impressive here) the usual aches i get, i've not gotten..
it's awesome!

SUMMATION: again only 1 week in, but truly huge thumbs up to this point. looking forward to the rest of this, when i start throwing some real heavy iron around..
:firedevil:
Let's see you put antaeus labs achilles to the test! Can't wait for the week 2 review ;)

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Man sorry I was late on this but definitely in. Awesome week 1 results I am experiencing similar effects

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BTW your physique is absolutely mind blowing. What's your BF%, you have any idea?

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Swoll as hell man. How would you compare axon to other stims? Been interested in trying it out for awhile but haven't gotten around to it. Got to get through my half gallon of clear shot first

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
@BBG - thanks brother, much appreciated.
dunno what bf% is right now - i know it's more than the 8% i wanted to stay under this off-season. :p
if i work my plan to a T, this oughtta be about the highest bf i carry this winter. ;)

@CAT - welcome friend.
to answer your question - Axon does not compare to other stims..imo there really is no comparison.
off the top - you take this w/ food!
clean energy, no ups/downs/or crashes; no mad energy rush that steadily disappears or (worse yet) suddenly disappears, leaving you groggy and tired... just smooth and consistent for hours an end.
no problems sleeping (can turn it off when i want)..
hederagenin=impressive.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like my type of stim. I hate the up and down stim effect. I like to just cruise in a nice buzz groove all day.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Sounds like my type of stim. I hate the up and down stim effect. I like to just cruise in a nice buzz groove all day.
that's it, right there.
i have never experienced such smooth energy, period.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why aren't you guys being sold at Nutra yet? At least the non PHs.

Veritatis

Veritatis

Banned
Awards
Why aren't you guys being sold at Nutra yet? At least the non PHs.
I brought this up to Jake a little while back, I'll find out what the status is and let you know

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Veritatis

Veritatis

Banned
Awards
Nice..Thx!
Its currently being worked on, and they will eventually be carrying our stuff. If you wanted to speed up the process a bit you could send them a email saying you'd like to see our products on there site. :)

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
2-WEEK REVIEW: well, there has been no letdown from week 1 results, and things have only gotten better. thanksgiving was a pain-free affair, and workouts have been just splendid. i am still amazed at the progress in my shoulder - i really felt the pain issues and limited ROM were permanent from too much activity (specifically tennis 6mo out of the yr), but the improvements made in just 2 short weeks is astounding.
elbow twinges are non-existent now, and legs are feeling fine..still feeling a nice general sense of well-being as well. altho i started up a PH recently, i still credit Achilles here, as it is different from the alpha "yeahhhhh buddy i feel kick-ass!" well-being you get from elevated hormone levels..

i am not 100% yet - indeed, i can only imagine if i was taking couple weeks off to rest + Achilles, i can envision it..
rest is not an option right now, and Achilles is gold for what i need.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
mid-week update..
everything cracking along just fine, body/joints feeling great (even if i'm a lil bloated from dietary excursion).
mauled chest SAT, legs yesterday (ATG squats the highlight), fixing to demolish delts and agonize some abs this morning.