Jim rocks 5/3/1 with AppNut!

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
So I am a few days late on the start of this log. I spent all of last week testing my maxes for it and took a few before pictures today.

Starting stats:
Weight: 165
Height: 70"
Bf: ?

I just finished 6 weeks of a high volume routine. It was based off of Layne Norton's PHAT program. I saw good gains while on it. Gained about 5 pounds and got noticeably leaner. I alternate my workout routine between high and low volume every 8-12 weeks and I am using Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 triumvirate for this low volume cycle.

My diet is set for 3500 calories coming from 120grams of fat, 400grams of carbs, and 210grams of protein.

My current supplements are Cissus, Orange Triad, ON Gold Standard/IForce protean and occasionally I use karbolyn.

The generous folks over at Applied Nutriceuticals are sending me the believer stack of RPM and Drive to log. This will be my first time using either of these products and I will add them to this log as soon as they arrive. Until then I am going to keep this log with my workout and diet.

My current lifts are:
Bench Press: 215
Back Squat: 325
OH Press: 145
Deadlift: 295

I would really like to improve my standing OH Press, it was not a movement I had focused on in my previous training so it is seriously lacking.

Attachments

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
9July12- Bench Press Week 1

Bench press- 3x5
140x5
160x5
180x7

DB Incline- 5x15
30x15,
35x15,
40x15,
45x15,
50x14

DB Row- 5x10
65x10,
70x10,
70x10,
75x10,
80x10

For this workout the DB incline was not getting my chest at all and it put a lot of stress on my rotator cuff. I have never had problems like that before but changing the angle of the bench did not help so I will be changing that back to a barbell movement. The rest of the workout felt good! I can't wait to do it again next week!

My diet for the day ended up being 3400 total calories, 105grams fat, 377grams carbs, 228grams protein. Not too bad but it could be better

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In bro.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
10July12- Back Squat Week 1

Back squat- 3x5
210x5,
245x5,
275x6

Leg Press- 5x15
270x15,
270x15,
295x15,
305x15,
315x15

Lying Leg Curls- 5x10
60x10,
70x10,
80x10,
90x7,
80x10

This workout went well, the high Rep leg presses suck. But they will probably always suck, especially after squats!

The diet for today came out to be 3404 calories, 120grams fat, 361grams carbs, 215grams protein. It was better on leg day but I was short a good deal of carbs!

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Today was a rest day so I will post up the macros when the day is over! I toyed with the idea of setting up a kettlebell circuit today but decided against it. Maybe next time.

Macros for today were 3634 calories, 126grams fat, 416grams carbs, 201grams protein. If I'm gonna miss my calorie goal I'd rather stay 100 above than 100 below! :p

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are your auxiliary/assistance movements?

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
What are your auxiliary/assistance movements?
I took the triumvirate just as it was written. All I changed was the DB Bench to an Incline Bench. So on bench day I do:
Incline
DB row

Squat day:
Leg press
Leg curl

OH Press day:
Dip
Chinup

Deadlift day:
Good morning
Hanging leg raises

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
I've been interested in doing a 5/3/1 routine but never took the plunge. Have to follow along and see how the RPM/Drive treat you. ;)

jdg76
Team APPNUT

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
I've been interested in doing a 5/3/1 routine but never took the plunge. Have to follow along and see how the RPM/Drive treat you. ;)

jdg76
Team APPNUT
Lol I was the same way. This'll be my first time with it, hoping it treats me well!

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
I'm in!

David
Team APPNUT

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
I'm in!

David
Team APPNUT
Good to have you brother!

My package arrived today so I dosed it accordingly. 2 RPM and 3 Drive about 15 minutes ago. On the way to the gym now. Tentative parameters are going to be energy, focus, strength, endurance and anything else I notice that is out of the ordinary for me.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Got home late. Have an early morning and will post tomorrow!

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Apparently my early morning became a long day. I have all written down but was not able to do yesterdays DL workout. I am on a couples retreat and may not be able to do it today but I will be doing a bw circuit if nothing else.

So far I've liked the two products. The first workout with them was a good one and I will post it after this stupid marriage lesson at around 12 or so.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Better late than never!

So now that I finally have some free time I will post up my OH press workout from Thursday!

As I put on an earlier post I took the 2 RPM and 3 Drive about an hour to an hour and 15 before my first working set of the OH press.

12July12- OH Press Week 1

OH Press- 3x5
95x5,
110x5,
125x6

Dips- 5x15
bwx15,
+10x15,
+25x15,
+35x15,
+45x12

Chin-Ups- 5x10
bwx10
bwx10,
bwx10,
bwx10,
bwx10.

I was powering through the workout and I felt strong! I rocked out weighted Dips after my last set of OH Press and I wasn't taking any longer to rest than it took my wife to do her set. We were moving, after finishing the Dips we went to do our Chin-ups and I should have added weight to these too, they were just a little too easy! Dips and Chins are two of my favorite exercises to do so I love that they are part of this program!

The days diet came out to 3665 calories, 119g fat, 403g carbs, and 241g protein! The fat and carbs were about perfect and I was higher on protein than I had planned to be but it's not something I would complain about!

All in all I will say that it was a good first day with these products. I definitely felt it when they hit me and my wife pointed out that I was pretty hyper. I wasn't able to fall asleep until 11 or so, it was probably from stims as I had taken the products pretty late into the day but I didn't wake up tired and still felt pretty good the next day. I'm hoping I can do the DL workout from yesterday at the hotel today but if not I will be doing some sort of circuit training.

I have been taking the Drive on off days as recommended so I am running low on that and will definitely be able to use RPM alone to see how it affects me as a standalone product for the last few days of this trial run!

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
Glad to see you felt like the products helped you through the workout!

Looking at your diet, that looks like it would be fun to partake in! I'm taking in 2500 each day right now, and may bump it up some over the next couple months, before I start a nice cut leading up to my next show in March. I love to eat! Haha.

David
Team APPNUT

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Glad to see you felt like the products helped you through the workout!

Looking at your diet, that looks like it would be fun to partake in! I'm taking in 2500 each day right now, and may bump it up some over the next couple months, before I start a nice cut leading up to my next show in March. I love to eat! Haha.

David
Team APPNUT
Lol I love that I get to eat lots of red meat! I get so tired of chicken while limiting Cals....

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Im still not sure what 5/3/1 is and thats due to my own ignorance of never looking it up. Goin for gains!!! Im in.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Im still not sure what 5/3/1 is and thats due to my own ignorance of never looking it up. Goin for gains!!! Im in.
Its a solid strength building routine. Its pretty low volume compared to what I'm used to so I decided to try it for my lower volume training cycle.

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
Noob. haha!

David
Team APPNUT

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same here man! I keep seeing people running it but I haven't researched it at all. Lol

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Hey Drooks, not all of us are dinosaurs :p

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna look this over today when I get bored of doing this powerpoint presentation.

I don't mind lifting on weekends if it gives me a day off during the week. I work alternate weekends so sometimes it helps.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Hey Drooks, not all of us are dinosaurs :p

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna look this over today when I get bored of doing this powerpoint presentation.

I don't mind lifting on weekends if it gives me a day off during the week. I work alternate weekends so sometimes it helps.
I'm normally off on weekends and will normally do some kind of GPP work on Saturday but I don't workout on Sunday as a matter of principle :p

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In.

I prefer the periodization bible for assistance work, but I did use the triumvirate and liked it pretty well.

The 5/3/1 revolution at AM is gaining a foothold! :D

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Ok. That's it. Time to read up.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
I never tried that template myself but it looks like a solid choice

I would take him up on this offer if I were you Jim
I will. Rodja is a solid guy and he definitely knows his stuff!

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
I'm about out of drive but from my experience with it I'm wondering if it would be any good for the runs we do in the army? I hate running and can always use a boost.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm about out of drive but from my experience with it I'm wondering if it would be any good for the runs we do in the army? I hate running and can always use a boost.
Drive gave me a nice endurance boost when I was using it in '07 while I was dropping a weight class. I could run 6-7 miles on an easy day.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Drive gave me a nice endurance boost when I was using it in '07 while I was dropping a weight class. I could run 6-7 miles on an easy day.
I wish I would've tried it when I had more, if I don't use with tonight's workout I should be able to with tomorrow's run....

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I would save it for the run. Drive better fits with endurance based workouts.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Tomorrow and the next day are no PT. were gonna be in the field until wed afternoon so I will try to do tomorrows WO on wed. will probably try to set up a trx circuit if time allows tomorrow. On the way to the gym now for BP week 2.

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
Tomorrow and the next day are no PT. were gonna be in the field until wed afternoon so I will try to do tomorrows WO on wed. will probably try to set up a trx circuit if time allows tomorrow. On the way to the gym now for BP week 2.
Sounds good. Looking forward to the workout update!

David
Team APPNUT

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Sounds good. Looking forward to the workout update!

David
Team APPNUT
Early morning tomorrow so I can't stay up and post but it was a good workout. I could probably have upped to 3 RPM today but it was still a good workout nonetheless. all of the info is tracked and I will post whenever I can.

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
Early morning tomorrow so I can't stay up and post but it was a good workout. I could probably have upped to 3 RPM today but it was still a good workout nonetheless. all of the info is tracked and I will post whenever I can.
Sounds good, bro. Looking forward to the update. I find that 3 rpm is perfect for me on most days, too.

David
Team APPNUT

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good - see you then. Get rested.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
A workout in the field did not happen. I was a heat casualty yesterday and my head is still pounding. I'm still gonna try to go to the gym later today but it depends on how I feel after eating.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
A workout in the field did not happen. I was a heat casualty yesterday and my head is still pounding. I'm still gonna try to go to the gym later today but it depends on how I feel after eating.
Waiting for the bus at 6am and I'm dripping sweat. Thankfully this rain eased things a bit.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established

Did you make it to the gym? Hope you are feeling better!

David
Team APPNUT