SNS Focus XT and Citrulline Malate.....Biatch!

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/7/12 Delts

-Pre-Pump work without fatigue
    Laterals / Upright Rows 3x20-30

-High Threshold Work (3111 tempo) (2 min rest periods)
    Standing Overhead Press
    95x4
    115x3
    135x3
    155x2
    155x5 (PR with this Tempo / Execution) (ive overhead pressed 275 before with a tad bit of leg drive...no wonder why my delt development is horrible! Must be mature and make my execution very precise to recruit as much muscle fibers as possible) (will increase density as the weeks go by)

-Maximum Pump Work (3122 tempo) (20-30 second rest between each exercise, 60 second rest between each complex, 10-20 reps each exercise) (3 Rounds)
    A1.Standing Overhead Press
    A2.Wide Grip Upright Rows
    A3.DB Side Laterals
    A4.Behind Neck Barbell Press

-Stretch the targeted muscle when its fully pumped (40 seconds! Burns!!!)

+Ab Work (3 sets of hanging leg raises, side crunches, 30 second rest periods, 10-12 reps each, 3021 tempo)

***Notes***
    -Still focusing on increasing load while creating better tension on the targeted muscle by utilizing precise execution.
    -8g Cit Malate Pre (30 mins pre)
    -No2xl first thing in morning like always, post workout, 1 scoop (I train 5-6 hours after I wake up by the way)
    -No more Recovery 911 / BCAA Extended, convenient products to aid in my nutrient intake / recovery!
    -1 Scoop Focus XT 1 hour pre
    -Its so humbling whenever you gain size and its very "noticeable", my weight has dropped down to 206.6 (morning weight on empty stomach) and gym performance is sky rocketing and im growing! Everything is right on plan.
    -As far as training frequency goes, I have to by how I feel, looks like right now ill be in the weight room every other day to allow a full 48 hour systematic recovery between workouts to ensure my recovery is on point. Being so motivated sometimes we want to just push, push, and push! But when your natural, more is NEVER better! Hold your ground, and plan for the strategic attack! (if I do somehow get perfect un-interupted sleep, I may take advantage and train that day even if its a rest day, just depends.)
    -Pump for my delts today.....CRAZY, even with bad rotator cuffs / shoulder joints from my past ego lifting its somewhat hard to get a good pump, but today my delts were blowned, up I couldn't even raise my arms up after the session! Pump grade 9/10! I know it can get better!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.

2. Registered User
    Answers

Great update man, glad you're enjoying it!
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/8/12 Lactic Acid Base Workout (Arms)

-Pre Pump Without fatigue

-Biceps (20-30 second rest between each exercise, performed as a circuit, 90 sec rest between circuits, 3 rounds for biceps, staying in the 8-12 rep range, tempo 3121, used precise execution/intention today, weights where light because the targeted muscle was under constant tension through the entire set aka BODYBUILDING.) (3rd round performance was significantly lower, hard to control myself when im in that "groove" lol)
    Hammer Grip Chins
    Incline DB Curl
    Supine Grip Chins
    High Cable Curls
    Narrow Grip Barbell Curl
    Wide Grip Barbell Curl

Triceps- (same as above but 2 rounds instead of 3)
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Overhead Barbell Extensions
    Lying Narrow Grip Skullcrushers (slightly overhead)
    Rope Pushdowns
    One Arm Underhand Grip Pushdowns

***Notes***
    -Good Pump! Could be better! Must remind myself to stay hydrated at all times, stop stressing, and ensure I get quality sleep!
    -6g Cit Malate today (30 min pre) (going to stick with 6g so I wont have to run out so fast lol, same effect as 8g though! pumps come faster / extreme fullness!)
    -I wish I had a good HD camera to snap a pic of me, looking bigger / fuller / more vascular / bodyfat is melting away! My low quality mp3 camera doesn't do me any justice. lol
    -1 scoop Focus XT 1 hour pre (effects of this is really noticeable now, intensity/focus/motivation during a workout is improving, Mr.Coop your were right about this enhancing my mind to muscle connection, even though I use various intentions with every exercise to make the targeted muscle fire optimally, sometimes I tend to "go through the motions", Focus XT is ensuring the job gets done.)
    -BRUTAL WORKOUT TODAY! When the targeted muscle is under constant tension through the entire range of motion / set it is absolutely a brutal feeling!

*LG Sciences Board Rep*
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Oops lol I just realized there is 300 grams of Cit Malate in the container, I confused myself with the 100 servings for 100 grams haha, ill stick with the 8g then!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/10/12

-45 mins cardio (basketball) (mixture of jogging / short sprints) (first thing in morning / empty stomach) (didn't take any NO2xl today)
    -1/2 scoop Focus XT Pre
    -3g Citrulline Malate pre
    -Left on a good note! Don't feel like im going to die haha, guess my cardiovascular is ALOT better now.
    -Just started utilizing Intermittent Fasting Protocol of eating.....LOVE IT! (more on this later, im running out of time!)
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.
    Answers

Very late, but in on this!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/10/12 Update

-My appetite has been oddly through the roof?! Awesome, this rarely happens.
    -Endurance / Cardiovascular is greatly improving!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by warbird01 View Post
    Very late, but in on this!
    Thanks for sub'n! Nothing but progress in here!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TheHardOne View Post
    7/10/12 Update

-My appetite has been oddly through the roof?! Awesome, this rarely happens.
    -Endurance / Cardiovascular is greatly improving!
    On the stack .. Yea endurance/cardio goes off the roof for me too

Wish it woulda affected my appetitie
    S.n.S team member
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GQNemesis View Post
    On the stack .. Yea endurance/cardio goes off the roof for me too

Wish it woulda affected my appetitie

I didn't think this Stack would really help my endurance/cardiovascular that much honestly, I love getting surprising results!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  11. Registered User
    Answers

I didn't think this Stack would really help my endurance/cardiovascular that much honestly, I love getting surprising results!
    Add cop to the mix and you'll be the last person to leave the bball court
    S.n.S team member
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GQNemesis View Post
    Add cop to the mix and you'll be the last person to leave the bball court
    Oh man i'd love to, hopefully in the future I can try that out, today it seemed like I could go on forever and ever! Superhero mode!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/10/12 PM Workout + more updates

-3g Cit Malate pre (no NO2xl today yet , will take 1 scoop before bed)

-30 mins of HIIT cardio! (basketball, basically shoot the ball and where ever it bounces to, you sprint as hard as you can to the ball and then shoot the ball with a maximum jump / maximum force and repeat process for 30 mins, only had maybe 3 brief 2 min low intensity cool down periods)

-My cardiovascular is straight up in Superhero mode. Usually I feel dead after a intense 15 min HIIT session.....just did 30 mins and no sign of fatigue! WOW.

-Weight has been maintaining around 210 ish for a couple days now, awesome!

-Mobility is getting better, im able to jump higher now, and also jump without any knee/patella tweaking.

-***Notes to self
    A. Stay hydrated at all times!

B. 100g protein a day, 400g carbs / 100g(adjusted on various specifics) fat on days I train once, and carbs will ramp up to 400g on days I train twice, also intensity/duration will be monitored to adjust my carb intake.......this seems to be my sweet spot for being able to burn fat and still grow muscle (really stepping my game up / taking steps forward with my cardio/training protocol now) (Yes I understand 100g protein seems too low, from trial and error / experience, im still able to grow aslong as I keep the carbs/fats relatively high, and im on a budget, I literally can't afford to eat 1xbodyweight of protein a day right now, but its cool, just aslong as im always progressing thats all that matters!) (was using intermittent fasting for about a week because I was only training once a day, but now my fuel intake will be adjusted to how many times I train, the duration / intensity, not to mention look for any signs of catabolism which has to be monitored closely now since the cardio is in full throttle)

C.Keep your head up high and stay consistent!

D.Don't do anything ridiculous with your training, keep it absolutely basic, no need for forced reps / drop sets / high density during weight training at this point. Overload, basic multi joint movements, fill the muscle up with nutrients after your heavy work....and LEAVE! Boom! Done!

Its growing time.

Correct.

Yay!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/12/12 Update

-Rest day yesterday
    -Dosing Change, instead of a full scoop of Focus XT, im going to stick with a half scoop, I feel much better mood wise.
    -1/2 scoop Focus XT daily, even if I don't work out that day ill still take it, everyday is a gift, your either realizing the gift of life or your just "going through the motions" of life, Focus XT ensures mentally im ready for anything! Stay focused people!
    -Got a ball game tonight, hopefully this time it actually happens!
    -Going to ramp the calories up very soon(will post more on this later), still sticking with around 2000 calories a day in a intermittent fasting form, taking a few days off from weight training just for a brief recovery before I take another step forward. (the step I took forward recently was adding in the various types of cardio into my training)
    -Muscles feeling very full!
    -Still maintaining around 206-210ish.
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  15. Registered User
    Answers

1/2 scoop is a good idea for many users. Focus XT has beyond​ a full dose of nootropics per scoop so it may prove too much for some users
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/12/12 Update

-Rest day yesterday
    -Dosing Change, instead of a full scoop of Focus XT, im going to stick with a half scoop, I feel much better mood wise.
    -1/2 scoop Focus XT daily, even if I don't work out that day ill still take it, everyday is a gift, your either realizing the gift of life or your just "going through the motions" of life, Focus XT ensures mentally im ready for anything! Stay focused people!
    -Going to ramp the calories up very soon(will post more on this later), still sticking with around 2000 calories a day in a intermittent fasting form, taking a few days off from weight training just for a brief recovery before I take another step forward. (the step I took forward recently was adding in the various types of cardio into my training)
    Ughh we couldn't even get a game going tonight!

Well lemme list what I have done so far in this transformation phase, about 6 weeks into it, heres what has been accomplished-
    **Progress so far**
    -Trained peripheral nervous system to change body pattern for all my exercises so my future workouts will be much more beneficial (heavy weight is awesome, but their must be TENSION present on the targeted muscle!) (also learning the function of the muscle prevents future injuries aswell)

-Even training relatively lighter than usual, changing my execution im still making gains in size/strength/body composition. (even my cardiovascular / endurance has improved tremendously!)

-Made my body extremely receptive to nutrients

-CNS is completely fired up. Its time for the home run. Stay tuned.
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.
    Answers

7/12/12 Update

-Rest day yesterday
    can't go without my focus. Even my roommate is hooked. Sometimes I won't have a whole scoop, but tastes so damn good gotta have at least a half a scoop a day!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/14/12 Time for SuperGrowth!

*Chest*
    -Goals?
    Stimulate the high threshold fast twitch motor neurons for the first half of my workout, increase load / increase work capacity are the primary goals of my high threshold work. Then finish off the workout by training the full biomechanical range of motion of the targeted muscle, with short rest periods, higher reps to train the slower twitch fibers, enhance various growth factors to aid in my recovery.

Warm up / Pre-Pump
    -High rep pressing / rowing / laterals, until a slight pump is achieved

High Threshold Work (4021 tempo, no forced reps, mind to muscle connection was at its best, even though I used lighter weight, the load / tension was on my pecs, ive never been able to control 225 with my pecs like I did today, PR for me!)
    -Flat barbell Bench Press
    225x6
    225x6
    225x6
    225x4 (once performance is starting to lower, move on!)

-Incline Barbell Bench Press (4021 tempo, execution was at its best!)
    165x7
    185x6
    165x6
    165x5

Maximum Pump Work (20-30 second rest periods, smoother tempo, iso-stretching and peak contractions were utilized) (performed as a complex)
    Pushups
    DB Flys (external rotations / internal rotations with a locked out arm on the negative/positive to fully lenthen/shorten pecs)
    Push Ups
    DB Flys
    Dips
    Dips
    Pec Deck

**Notes**
    -Good Pump! (going to lenthen the rest periods for my max pump work, when my chest is fatigued the pushups become a tricep/delt movement, always strive to get better folks!)
    -8g Cit Malate Pre
    -1/2 scoop Focus XT Pre (1 hour)
    -Calories are now in full force! (more on this later)
    -Pecs feel so tight right now, its hard to bring my hands in together when typing on this keyboard lol.
    -I know some people get discouraged when using lighter weight....I don't! Aslong as the tension is greater than the last workout its progress!
    -Goals for next workout
    **Add 10 pounds to my flat/incline press while staying in the 6-8 rep range / same tempo
    **Increase Work Capacity by 2 sets on my flat/incline press without performance lowering
    **Lenthen rest periods with my max pump work so my isolation work will produce a better pump in my pecs (when the targeted muscle fatigues, guess who comes to the rescue.....Mr.Triceps and Mr.Deltoids.)
    -Going for that dense, full, complete/aesthetic appearance! Anyone can get big, but I want that "WOW" factor, for example like a Kevin Levrone apperance / Ben Pakulski look.
    -SuperGrowth time!

*LG Sciences Board Rep*
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/14/12 Chest (pm) Sarcoplasmic Hypertropy / Slow twitch focus

*Chest
    -Incline Wide Grip Bench Press (3232 tempo on all these exercises)
    115x30 rest 60 seconds...
    165x12 rest 60 seconds...
    165x8 drop set to
    115x15 rest 30 seconds...
    115x12

-Flat DB External Rotation on the negative / Internal Rotation on the positive Press (45 second rest periods)
    35x25
    45x20
    45x15
    45x12
    -Flat DB Press (regular version) (45 second rest periods)
    45x15
    45x12
    45x10

-Flat DB Fly Superset DB Pullover (emphasing the stretch, on the positive come in to a locked out arm internal rotated wrist to fully contract pecs) (45 second rest periods)
    -15x15-20 (40lb db for pullovers x 15)
    -15x15-20 (40x15)

-Pec Deck (emphasing the middle part of this movement where the pecs are under constant tension)
    Stack x6 + Triple Drop set

**Notes**
    -Wha?!!? Wha?!!!! Same bodypart twice in one day?!!? OVERTRAINING!!!! haha, cool it! The first workout is a fast twitch / myofibrillar based workout (yes sarcoplasmic hypertrophy will occur to a degree), the 2nd workout a few hours later is a sarcoplasmic / slower twitch focus, higher reps, pumping the muscle with as much nutrients as possible.
    -Aslong as im not doing 2 heavy workouts for the same muscle in the same day its fine, and aslong as I don't do any forced reps with the first workout my CNS will be fine.
    -Sacrificed some electronic "devices" that were chewing up our electric finally gone, so now I can afford to eat alot more than usual.
    -With the 2 a day training, my macro nutrients will be a little over 1xbodyweight for protein, 800g carbs, 120 grams of fat. (will be adjusted as time goes on)
    -6g Cit Malate Pre
    -Oh and keep in mind, ive bench pressed 405, squatted / deadlifted 585 when I was 18, around 180 pounds, im making the muscles fire as optimally as possible, don't worry the numbers will go up!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/14/12 Article of the day! (not by me)

Blood Flow Restriction Training

Q and A with Jeremy Loenneke

Q- For people who may not know the name Jeremy Loenneke can you tell the readers a little about your personal and professional background?

I’m from Redhawk Nation, otherwise known as Southeast Missouri. I grew up there and came across natural bodybuilding in about 2003-2004. I saw a video of this crazy man Layne Norton moving a ridiculous amount of weight. I did my undergraduate at Southeast Missouri State University and graduated with a degree in Health Management with an emphasis in Exercise Science. Prior to finishing my undergraduate degree I completed an internship in Dr. Huey’s muscle physiology laboratory at the University of Illinois. It was during my time there that I met Layne Norton and the rest of the crew who are still some of my best friends to this day. Following my internship, I completed my masters back at Southeast Missouri State University in Nutrition and Exercise Science under my mentor Dr. Joe Pujol. My focus was on blood flow restriction training using a practical mode (i.e. knee wraps) of application. Following my masters I started working on my PhD in Exercise Physiology at the University of Oklahoma in the Neuromuscular Laboratory under Dr. Mike Bemben. I am fortunate in that I work with outstanding individuals not only in the lab at OU, but from other laboratories across the nation. Just to acknowledge a few people in no particular order who have helped me generously through my life: Takashi Abe, Mike Bemben, Joe Pujol, Jake and Gabe Wilson, Chris Fahs, Lindy Rossow, Layne and Isabel Norton, Robert Thiebaud, Jeremy Barnes, Austin ‘Stone Cold’ Thrower and Ryan Kloeppel. There are many more than that, but we would be here all day if I listed them all. I feel it is important to acknowledge these people, because without them, we wouldn’t be having this interview.

Q- What is Occlusion Training and how did it get on your radar and become something you wanted to research?

I came across occlusion training or blood flow restriction (BFR) training as I prefer to call it while I was interning at a laboratory up at the University of Illinois. I was working out at Gold’s Gym in Champaign when Layne Norton, Gabriel Wilson, and Chris Fahs introduced it to me. I was skeptical at first, but the more I read about it the more interested I became. It was literally one of the first things in my life that I became absolutely 100% passionate about. It was something that I needed to try and learn everything about and it has literally been on my mind every single day for about 4 straight years. When I left the University of Illinois to go and complete my masters at Southeast Missouri State University, my mentor suggested that I start actually collecting some data on it. The rest is pretty much history.

Q- What is the main purpose of Occlusion training or Blood Flow Restriction (BFR)?

We tend to lean towards the term of Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) rather than occlusion because the word “occlusion” gives people the idea that we are completely cutting off blood flow to the limb, which is not the goal of BFR at all. The purpose of BFR is to allow blood into the muscle, but to largely reduce the amount that leaves the muscle (i.e. venous pooling). If you have cut off arterial inflow, then you are doing it wrong. BFR allows beneficial adaptations to occur at very low exercise loads/intensities. This is important for those who might be injured, during a period of deloading, or when you just don’t have the mental focus to train heavy that day. For the healthy gym goer they can supplement their training with BFR and see benefits, but it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to make it your primary or sole mode of exercise. However, there are different levels of effectiveness for BFR and I usually separate them into 3 different categories.

The first is the application of BFR, in the absence of exercise. This stimulus does not appear adequate to produce muscle hypertrophy, however it seems like it can maintain or slow down losses in muscle mass and strength during times of unloading (e.g. recovering from surgery).

The second is the application of BFR with slow walking or cycling exercise. This stimulus is capable of producing muscle hypertrophy; however the increases observed are substantially less than what is observed with BFR in combination with resistance training. It is important to remember that this type of exercise needs to be completed with SLOW to moderate walking/cycling. DO NOT sprint under BFR. The point is to work at low intensities, don’t lose sight of that.

The third and most effective mode is applying BFR in combination with low load resistance training. The increase in muscle mass and strength from this will be much greater than what is observed with BFR in combination with slow walking/cycling. It is very important to make sure that this type of exercise is completed with a LOW load. If you do BFR in combination with a high load it defeats the purpose of the stimulus and appears to be largely ineffective. This type of exercise should be completed with a LOW load and HIGH volume.

Q- What is the mechanism of how BFR causes hypertrophy?

That is the million dollar question. It is often erroneously said that the mechanisms behind BFR are an increase in metabolic buildup (e.g. lactate) which cause fatigue and the recruitment of fast twitch fibers. While this is very much true with BFR in combination with resistance training it provides little explanation for what is occurring with BFR in the absence of exercise or when combined with slow walking/cycling. To illustrate, there is no muscle contraction in the absence of exercise therefore fatigue and recruitment can’t be occurring. There is also not a significant increase in lactate with BFR in the absence of exercise or when combined with slow walking. We have hypothesized and have data that suggests that the foundational mechanism that is likely present with all forms of BFR is an acute fluid shift induced increase in muscle size (i.e. muscle cell swelling). Said another way, the fluid shift that occurs from applying BFR is able to cause the muscle cell to swell which may be important for muscle anabolic signaling. As you can tell, the mechanisms behind BFR are complex and likely build upon each other for great adaptation. That is likely the reason why BFR in combination with low load resistance training is the most effective because you get 1) cell swelling, 2) metabolic buildup, 3) fatigue, and 4) increased fiber type recruitment whereas with BFR in the absence of exercise you are only getting cell swelling.

Q- What is the most practical instrument to use as cuffs in the gym? Do you recommend knee wraps?

For practical application, I think knee wraps are excellent. There is also some acute and chronic research to support their use. It is true that you cannot set the pressure like you can on the devices that we use in a research laboratory, but for the general person that is not really important. For example, in a research setting it is very important to understand and control for absolutely everything you can. The gym goer shouldn’t concern themselves with that and should focus on causing a fluid shift by applying the knee wraps and completing an adequate volume of work.

Q- Are there specific muscle groups which have been shown to respond best to BFR? Are there any muscle groups it would not be possible to use BFR with?

For a long time it was thought that BFR was only working for the muscle groups that were below the restriction. For example, if you restrict blood flow to the upper arm, it was thought that only the biceps/triceps would see positive adaptation since they were the only muscles under BFR. However, recently it has been observed that the chest can also increase size and strength even though it is technically not under BFR. It is unknown exactly how that is occurring, but there is data to suggest that acute muscle cell swelling might be playing a role, as there are greater acute increases in chest muscle size following bench press exercise with BFR applied to the arms.

Q- How tight should the cuffs be to induce the most optimal results?

This is a great question. First it is important to understand that the wraps should be placed at the top of the arms or at the very top of the legs (not around the knee). Wrap the wraps right on top of each other to make the final application not much wider than the normal wrap width. The wraps should be applied “snug” but NOT excessively tight. For example, if you apply them and you are in pain before you have completed a repetition, then the wraps are too tight and you should remove and loosen them. Any discomfort/pain you have from BFR should for the most part be coming from the buildup of metabolites. With resistance training, it is important to make sure that the load you are lifting is LOW…for example, 20-30% of your maximal weight (be honest with yourself as to how strong you actually are). I typically recommend that you shoot for 30 repetitions in the first set followed by 3 sets of 15, with 30 seconds rest between each set. If you are not even getting close to those repetitions, either the load is too heavy or the wraps are too tight. Remember, the wraps need to be ‘snug’ enough to cause a fluid shift, not to completely cut off blood flow to the limb.

Q- Is BFR training something you would recommend to bodybuilders to help bring up lagging body parts?

Absolutely, I would definitely recommend it for a lagging body part. Perhaps after the completion of some high load training you could finish with some low load training under BFR. I have had several bodybuilders (Pro and Amateur) tell me that this has worked for them in the past. More importantly than that, there are over 40 published chronic training studies on the topic, which suggest that it is beneficial.

Q- How often should one use BFR?

Being that when done correctly you get minimal muscle damage, it is very common in the literature to train with very high frequencies (up to twice a day). However, since most people are also training with heavy loads, it might make sense to just use it in conjunction with your normal training split. For example, if you do Legs on Mon/Friday then use BFR with legs on Mon/Friday, not every other day of the week.

Q- Is there a special set/rep/load protocol which has been shown to produce the best results?

With walking/cycling I would recommend working your way up to about 20 minutes of LOW INTENSITY exercise. I would probably start with 10 minutes your first couple of times to get used to it.

With resistance training I would recommend working your way up to 4-5 sets (I’d probably start with 2 sets your first few times). I think it is important to make sure you are getting adequate volume so I would advocate shooting for 30 reps in the first set followed by 3 sets of 15 (30 seconds rest). You might not be able to get all of them, but you should be getting close. As I said earlier, if you are not, then the load is too heavy or the wraps are too tight. I would also mix in some failure training every once in a while, meaning you apply BFR then complete 3-4 sets to fatigue.

Some take home points on BFR from Jeremy Loenneke

Remember the wraps should NOT cut off blood flow completely.

Remember that BFR should be performed in conjunction with low intensity walking/cycling or LOW LOAD resistance training (20-30% max).

It is important to understand that your heart rate will be elevated with this type of exercise because you are reducing venous return, so basing your exercise on %HR with BFR exercise is not valid.

If you have a condition that may compromise your vascular system, I would not recommend performing BFR exercise.

Do the work…science explains how things happen, but it all comes down to doing the work. To become who no one else is, you must work like no one else does #outwork.
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/15/12 Cardio

-30 mins of Cardio (basketball, mixture of low intensity / high intensity)
    -1/2 Scoop Focus XT, 4g Cit Malate Pre (hour and a half pre)
    -Felt really good today! Better than usual!
    -Trained on a Empty stomach
    -My cardiovascular has improved so much! My mobility is improved aswell!
    -Chest has never been this sore before. LOL
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Looking great. The enhanced cardiovascular capacity is one of citrulline malate's many benefits
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Looking great. The enhanced cardiovascular capacity is one of citrulline malate's many benefits
    And during my weight training, its like I don't even get fatigued anymore, after that temporary lactic acid burn from my sets, I don't feel like im about to pass out, now this may sound like im not "pushing myself to the limit"...oh trust me, its a Branch Warren like atmosphere when I train, this citrulline malate combination with the Focus XT SURPRINSGLY has taken my performance to a whole new level. Yeah im surprised big time lol, a supplement that doesn't have that much hype packs a BIG punch. So happy I have this in bulk(100 servings), I never want to run out haha. Gota give a big thanks to you again Mr.Coop and the rest of SNS, im very appreciated for this opportunity!

Heres another quick update, started at 205 almost 2 months ago, went up to around 215 at a lower bodyfat in a few weeks, dropped down to 206ish, then yesterday weighed in at 215, waist feels alot smaller, abdominals/obliques much more visible than before! (sorry that my workouts seem a bit boring because of the light weight, don't worry, the numbers will sky rocket....ehhhh....this week!....guarantee it!!!! Stay tuned!)
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  24. Registered User
    Answers

And during my weight training, its like I don't even get fatigued anymore, after that temporary lactic acid burn from my sets, I don't feel like im about to pass out, now this may sound like im not "pushing myself to the limit"...oh trust me, its a Branch Warren like atmosphere when I train, this citrulline malate combination with the Focus XT SURPRINSGLY has taken my performance to a whole new level. Yeah im surprised big time lol, a supplement that doesn't have that much hype packs a BIG punch. So happy I have this in bulk(100 servings), I never want to run out haha. Gota give a big thanks to you again Mr.Coop and the rest of SNS, im very appreciated for this opportunity!

Heres another quick update, started at 205 almost 2 months ago, went up to around 215 at a lower bodyfat in a few weeks, dropped down to 206ish, then yesterday weighed in at 215, waist feels alot smaller, abdominals/obliques much more visible than before! (sorry that my workouts seem a bit boring because of the light weight, don't worry, the numbers will sky rocket....ehhhh....this week!....guarantee it!!!! Stay tuned!)
    Great to hear dude. The combo is one of my favorites, and I'm actually taking it + an ephedrine tab as my current preworkout.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/16/12 Quads

*Pre Pump without fatigue
    Leg Extensions 5 sets of 8-15 reps

*CNS Warm up
    Barbell Squats (shoulder width / feet pointing out) (no where near maximum weight, no where near fatigue, once tempo is explosive, time to start my workout) (rest periods designed for performance...until I feel im ready)
    135x8
    225x4
    275x3
    315x2
    365x1
    405x2

*Progression Work (rest periods designed for performance, tempo designed for fast twitch activation)
    Barbell Squats with a deadstop to fire the fast twitch motor neruons (literally a deadstop, my calves are touching my hamstrings for 1-2 seconds on every rep) (narrow stance / feet pointing neutral)
    225x6
    275x8 (PR with this execution) (have done 405 for 14 like this in the past but with a wreckless tempo, with 275 I can make my quads fire through the entire range of motion)

*Fatigue Work (not necessary for muscle growth, but a insane fella like me has to do something intense before leaving the gym)
    Hack Squats (tempo for fast twitch activation) (narrow / feet pointing out)
    150x6
    290x6 drop set to 230x6 (surprisingly a PR with this tempo / execution)

Leg Extensions (tempo more towards slow switch firing)
    170x10
    230x15 (squeezing the concentric as hard as possible)

*Stretch targeted muscle for 60 seconds

**Notes**
    -I tend to get insane with my workouts....I had to hold myself back today....its come down to having insane crazy workouts burning out the nervous system with a bunch of volume / drop sets, or progress by increasing load with a designed tempo for fast twitch activation with minimal fatigue work.....ughhh it feels like half assing a workout, but its literally the other way around....go have a insane workout not grow, have a boring workout and grow/progress. Kumbaya ma lord! lol

-7g cit malate / focus xt(1/2 scoop) pre
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Once again, im sorry if my workouts look boring with the lighter weights haha.
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Answers

Those are light weights?
    ~ Serious Nutrition Solutions ~
    Revolutionizing Nutrition, AND your body!
    Rhadam [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rhadam View Post
    Those are light weights?
    Well its all relative lol, I use to lift alot heavier when I was 18 and im still trying to mentally get past this mental barrier of lifting lighter weight, people in the gym don't come up to me anymore and tell me "how much of uh beast i am" now that I lift alot lighter haha. Its cool though.
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/17/12 Arms

-Pre Pump
    -CNS Warm up (various multi joint movements until explosive force / tempo is achieved)

-Barbell Curls (each set alternated with a wide / narrow grip) (tempo same as always) (PR with this execution)
    95x6
    115x6
    95x7
    95x6
    95x5
    95x4

-Closer Grip Bench Press
    275x9 (pr)
    295x4 (pr)
    275x7? I think? lol too focused.

-Fatigue / Pump Work (taking the muscle through its entire range of motion)
    **Triceps (various pushdowns / overhead extensions, 4 sets, 20 sec rest periods between sets)
    **Biceps/Brachialis (various angles of curls / grips, 8 sets 20 sec rest periods)

***Notes***
    -My tricep pump HURT today! lol! Love it!
    -6g Cit Malate Pre / 1 scoop Focus XT pre (30 mins pre!)
    -Holy **** its GROWING TIME! Told you the numbers would sky rocket this week!
    -My overall tricep volume is a bit lower to compensate my recovery because I train delts/chest on separate days which indirectly will still fire my triceps.
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Answers

Strong close grip bench. You're right though, it's all relative. Very impressed with your workout style, don't see many guys that can keep that up day in day out.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Strong close grip bench. You're right though, it's all relative. Very impressed with your workout style, don't see many guys that can keep that up day in day out.
    Thanks man, those words motivate me! I actually was planning to have a rest day today....took a scoop of Focus Xt for the hell of it and BAM! My Game Face is on! And ended up having a awesome workout, was very focused today!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Next time I go to the gym I gota weigh myself, lol im noticing my recovery is through the roof right now.....ill play the guessing game.....on thursday when I weigh myself...I will be....217! (if I can get a hold of my friends cell, ill snap some pics!)
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Answers

Looking foreward to the pics! Personally i don't know what i'm going to do when i have to cycle off Focus XT. Can't wait till we get the caffeine free version up and running.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/18/12

-I just can't sleep anymore, at most ill get like 3 hours....this has been going on for years now, the Doctor couldn't even solve my sleeping problems....ive tried various methods already(already went through months of taking out the stimulants...didnt do anything).....ughhh! Even though I still recover fast and feel amazing, I know 3 hours a night can't be healthy long term.

-1 hour of Low intensity Cardio first thing in the morning
    -1 scoop Focus XT, 1 scoop Citrulline Malate

-Didn't want to push the high intensity cardio this morning because yesterday my calories were a bit lower than usual....living on a tight budget sometimes there is nothing in the fridge and can't afford groceries until next pay day. #keepMyHeadUpHighduringTheseHa rdTimes
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/18/12 Progress! (cardiovascular / overall athletic ability progress)

-Got to play in a real(meaning score/stats are recorded/quarter duration is 20 mins a quarter) basketball game today!
    -Cardiovascular levels were put to the test.....im literally in beast mode cardiovascular shape.
    -Since I didn't get super tired I was able to use my power to my advantage, we won the game, my numbers were 21 rebounds, 11 assist, 16 points(missed so many easy shots from overshooting lol)....no one else had more than 6 rebounds. I ran our team as the point guard today, lol. Even though I was the heaviest guy there I was also the quickest / most explosive so I used that to my advantage. Pretty cool to know im getting in really good shape even when building more muscle.
    -My feet and ankles took a beating though haha!
    -1/2 scoop Focus XT pre, 4g cit malate pre
    -Awesome thing....expecting to be flat from this very high intensity cardio session, my muscles feeling extremely full? Awesome!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  222 lbs.
    Answers

This is the most informative log I've seen in a long while!
    Great work - keep it up
    SNS - Serious Nutrition Solutions
    My advice is exclusively my own and may not correspond with the views of SNS
    Questions or concerns? → conny[@]seriousnutritionsolutions.com
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteConny View Post
    This is the most informative log I've seen in a long while!
    Great work - keep it up
    Thanks buddy! Just making sure I stay consistent and ensuring nothing gets half assed!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

7/18/12

Article of the Week!

Getting Big Through TUT (posted on TNation)
    by Jim Kielbaso – 7/18/2012 Getting Big Through TUT

"Ask a hundred coaches or bodybuilders for the best way to increase muscle mass and you'll get about a hundred different answers.

Unfortunately, much of the advice will border on ridiculous. The volume in typical bodybuilding programs is often so high that the only way to recover is through serious chemical enhancement.

That's one of the perks of anabolic steroids: you can do pretty much anything and get bigger, so crazy high volume workouts are fine. But if you prefer a more natural approach to getting bigger, you need to understand the science behind hypertrophy, and how to take advantage of it.

The Science of Hypertrophy

Hypertrophy is the end result of increased protein synthesis within our muscles following training and proper nutrition. Our body adds protein to muscle fibers, which thickens them. Ideally, this thickening continues and slowly builds, making our muscles bigger and stronger.

But this doesn't just happen. Our body doesn't want to change. We have to force it to adapt, and the way we train is very important.

A review of the literature on hypertrophy reveals that the most important factor in training is mechanical tension. Tension is created when we lift heavy stuff and our muscles contract against it. The actin and myosin strands in our muscle fibers working against the tension triggers a series of reactions in our body.

Brad Schoenfeld, one of the leading experts on the science of hypertrophy, wrote "It is believed that mechanical tension disturbs the integrity of skeletal muscle, causing mechanochemically transduced molecular and cellular responses in myofibers and satellite cells."

What this means is that tension on your muscles increases protein synthesis in the fibers. If you're trying to get big, that's good.

More recently, Dr. Keith Baar was researching the p70S6K relationship to hypertrophy. He discovered that the key regulator of muscle protein synthesis is something called the mTOR pathway.

He also found that the more mTOR is stimulated, the more protein synthesis occurs, and that there's a direct relationship between mTOR and mechanical tension. The more tension a muscle is put under, the greater the mTOR stimulation.

Tension
    Getting Big Through TUT

There are two parts to tension that are important to stimulating mTOR:

Load
    Time Under Tension (TUT)

As the load increases so does tension, which stimulates mTOR, thereby increasing protein synthesis, which is what makes our muscles bigger.

So, all we have to do is lift really heavy weights, right? Not exactly.

We can't forget about TUT. TUT also stimulates increases in mTOR, so the longer our muscles are under tension, the more we ultimately increase protein synthesis.

Okay, what we need to do is lift lighter weights for more reps, right? Again, not exactly.

mTOR actually starts to be inhibited after about 60 seconds of tension, and if the load is too light, we reduce tension.

So, the trick is to find the right balance of load and TUT.

Doing one, really heavy rep will produce a lot of tension, but a very short TUT. We need to find the heaviest weights that we can move for a little under 60 seconds.

If one rep takes 4-5 seconds (1 second up, 1 second hold, 2-3 seconds down), then shoot for between 6-12 reps to maximize both load and TUT. You can argue about whether 6 or 12 reps are better, but it's anyone's guess. In fact, it might not even matter because the two factors (load & TUT) probably combine equally at either end of the range.

Metabolic Demands
    Getting Big Through TUT

Another extremely important finding that Dr. Baar uncovered is that mTOR is actually turned off by too much work or metabolic demand. We know that Testosterone drops significantly in workouts lasting more than one hour, which isn't good for muscular growth. It seems that mTOR acts the same way.

It was also discovered that workouts using a great deal of ATP also lower mTOR, which means we want to use as little energy as possible during maximal tension workouts if the goal is hypertrophy.

In short, we need to fully recover between sets and avoid doing too much metabolically demanding activity during the workout, otherwise mTOR will start to shut down, limiting the hypertrophic effect of the workout.

This is why workouts like P90X or Crossfit get people ripped and lean, but not big. They're so metabolically demanding that mTOR shuts off, limiting protein synthesis. This is great if you want to lose weight and look lean, but bad if you want to move up a shirt size or two.

So when using the techniques described later in this article (or for any hypertrophy training routine), the research indicates that full recovery should take place between sets so that:

Maximal effort can be given on each set
    Your heart rate can return to normal levels to reduce the overall metabolic demand.

Now if all this rest almost sounds like you'll be wasting time farting around, realize how many of the top bodybuilders train. If you've ever watched their videos, they take a long time between sets talking, posing, cracking jokes, and preparing for the next set.

Does Ronnie Coleman seem in a hurry when he's yelling "Yeah buddy!" from across the gym? And he was definitely on to something when he said, "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but ain't nobody want to lift these heavy-ass weights."

As juiced and genetically gifted as Big Ronnie may be, he understood mechanical tension.

Another Wrinkle
    Getting Big Through TUT

Doing sets of 6-12 reps is a good start, and limiting the metabolic demand is even better, but let's take advantage of all the science we have available. Numerous studies have clearly shown that eccentric contractions (negatives) are very important to hypertrophy. This has been demonstrated in MRI studies that reveal how much more muscle is stimulated during eccentrics compared to concentric-only training.

Eccentrics have been shown to create greater motor unit fatigue and increase protein synthesis and p70S6K more than concentric or isometrics. We can also handle greater weights (about 120% of our max concentric ability) eccentrically, which means larger loads may be used, creating greater tension.

Heavy eccentrics also cause greater localized muscle trauma, which has been shown to activate even more tissue repair and protein synthesis. They also provoke Type II fibers to a greater degree, and these fast-twitch fibers have greater hypertrophic potential than Type I fibers.

Eccentrics are demanding, however, so you can't do a ton of them or do them too frequently without running the risk of injury or overtraining. Make sure to recover fully between workouts.

There are a few other problems with heavy eccentrics. One is that they often require a partner. The other is that the greatest tension-producing eccentrics are done at fast speeds. Fast eccentrics also create tremendous tendon trauma – which we definitely don't want – and can be dangerous. Tendon trauma also takes significantly longer to repair than muscle tissue trauma, which means you must rest longer between workouts.

Machines for Growth?

To safely and practically take advantage of eccentrics, plan one day every week or two for eccentric training, and get ready to use some machines.

Machines obviously aren't as "functional" as free weights but they're a great way to incorporate eccentric training. Remember, our muscles don't care where the tension comes from, they simply respond to it. So go ahead and use free weights and other functional methods most of the time, but take advantage of machines for this one specific purpose.

My two favorite ways to blend science and machines for hypertrophy are:

Drop sets
    Unilateral assistance

Drop Sets

Anyone that's been training hard has tried drop sets at some point. Machines, especially with a weight stack, are perfect because you don't need a partner – you can easily change weights very quickly, and they're safer than free weights because you can't drop anything on yourself as you fatigue.

Unlike the drop sets you did back in high school, for best results remember the science. We want to create maximal tension and keep the TUT under 60 seconds. This requires starting quite heavy for more tension and only performing 1-2 drops. You also want to drop the weight as quickly as possible so your muscles aren't going without tension for very long.

Drop sets work because you're always using the heaviest load possible at that moment. You're creating maximal tension on every rep, especially at the beginning of the set when you're fresh. Start with a weight you can only get 2-4 reps with (allowing for huge amounts of tension), then drop the weight once you get tired to lengthen the TUT.

You're also stimulating a maximal number of motor units. As some motor units fatigue during the first set, other fatigue-resistant motor units are still fresh. Dropping the weight and continuing forces these fresh motor units to work without the help of the already-fatigued motor units that have already "crapped out." This means we can stimulate muscle fibers that would otherwise not be touched in a standard set, creating a bigger effect on the muscle.

Unilateral Assistance
    Getting Big Through TUT

Unilateral assistance work is the key to take advantage of heavy eccentrics when you're by yourself. The basic idea is to focus on one limb/side at a time, using maximal weight for that side. Use both limbs to lift the weight, but only one to lower. Only use the "assistance limb" as much as required to raise the weight.

Let's use a biceps curl machine as an example. Suppose you can curl 100 pounds for one rep using your right arm. That would create maximum mechanical tension, but the TUT would be very short.

Here's what to do: put 100 pounds on the machine and curl up with both arms, but only use the left arm just enough to get the weight up. At the top, hold the weight for one second and slowly release your left hand from the bar. Lower the weight smoothly (2-3 seconds) with the right arm only. At the bottom, use your left arm again, raise the weight and repeat.

You'll reach a point where you can't control the negative any more, usually in the critical 6-12 rep range. Don't go past 60 seconds or let it get out of control – use your assistance arm if necessary so it doesn't get dangerously fast. The assistance arm will "assist" a little more on each rep as fatigue sets in.

Great machines for this kind of training include:

Leg curl variations
    Biceps curl machine
    Triceps extension machine
    Seated dip machines
    Chest press
    Row with chest pad
    Leg press with limiter that stops the carriage at the bottom. (Hammer & Pendulum make great pieces)
    Unilateral pulldown
    Leg extension
    Back extension on glute ham raise
    Calf raise

Unilateral assistance works best on machines where both sides are connected (meaning both sides move even if you push on only one side), but you can make it work on any exercise with a little creativity.

On unilateral machines like the Hammer Strength chest press or pulldown, you can put your assistance hand on the same side as your working hand for the concentric, then release it and use only one hand for the eccentric.

One of my favorite applications is on a leg press with a range limiter like the Hammer Strength or Pendulum versions. I like it because it's one of the few ways to safely use high load eccentrics on a compound lower body movement. It's not safe to load up a bar heavy and do eccentric squats or deadlifts, so this is a safer alternative for building the legs.

Amino Acids

Without getting too much into the nutrition side of hypertrophy, it's important to note that Dr. Baar's investigation into mTOR also revealed that increased concentrations of amino acids in the blood directly after a workout also stimulated mTOR production.

This means that peri-workout nutrition makes a big difference in your ability to grow. Skimp out on the muscle-building proteins during the workout window and you risk sabotaging the whole process.

Wrap Up

If you've been looking for a practical and natural way to maximize your gains, science has the answer. Use the research on mTOR and hypertrophy to your advantage by:

Concentrating on the 6-12 rep range
    Using the heaviest weights possible to increase tension
    Keeping maximum tension on the muscles for up to 60 seconds
    Taking advantage of eccentrics and breakdowns
    Reducing the metabolic demand of your hypertrophy workouts by recovering fully between sets
    Making sure you've got amino acids in the form of sound peri-workout nutrition flowing through your veins to maximize the effects of mTOR.

If you're used to following the magic workouts featured in the monthly muscle mags, this type of training will feel very different. You won't necessarily get the same "pump" as with other routines, and you'll feel kind of fresh because of the long rest periods between sets.

Don't be fooled. The eccentric work will leave you extremely sore the next day, so be sure to give yourself sufficient rest before hitting it again.

Size training deserves a scientific approach just like strength training. Apply these principles and get growing."
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Answers

Sucks about the sleep issues, unbelieveable you can recover on that little sleep. Really is a testament do a great diet i guess.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Sucks about the sleep issues, unbelieveable you can recover on that little sleep. Really is a testament do a great diet i guess.
    Yeah man, it really sucks because I have to be careful not to "overdo" my workouts, sometimes I tend to go absolutely crazy in the gym and then next thing you know it looks like I atrophied, face gets puffy, neural fatigue which even effects my HIIT cardio, and my body isn't as receptive to nutrients....just a disaster lol.

Gotta do what I gotta do though!
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. citrulline malate
    By wookie429 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 10:11 AM
  2. Citrulline Malate opinions? & my Stack Idea
    By Angular Air in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9