Vanilla Mint Swirl Protean: Full Tub Review

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I want to thank allnatural923 and the iForce crew for giving me the chance to try out a tub of the new Vanilla Mint Swirl Protean. I really appreciate being given the opportunity to find out what all the reviews I’ve seen were talking about. I’m a big fan of all things mint, and this is the first time I’ve actually been anticipating the release of a protein powder.

I found out yesterday afternoon that my VMS Protean had arrived and was excited to get home and finally give it a try. I cleared up some room in my daily food intake so I would have the chance to try VMS a few different ways right off the bat. Shortly after walking through the door I cracked open the tub. When I peeled of the freshness seal I was hit with a scent that reminded me of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies. I proceeded to smell the powder a few more times and caught a whiff of the vanilla flavoring in the mix. The aroma was fantastic and had me very anxious for my first taste.

tub.jpg
powder.jpg

I started out by having it in a couple more traditional ways. I first mixed a scoop with 4oz of water. I took a shaker equipped with a blender ball, shook it for about 10 seconds, and it mixed to perfection. There were no clumps and I was left with a smooth creamy texture. There was just the right amount of creamy vanilla to cool mintiness in the flavoring and I was hooked after the first sip. I tried to savor every last drop, but the 4oz just had me wanting more. I immediately mixed up some more with 6oz of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. This combo took it to the next level with its added creaminess and slight boost of vanilla. I usually stick to water with my protein shakes, but VMS with vanilla almond milk is too good to be denied. Looks like I’m going to be keeping the almond milk on hand for the remainder of the tub. After my first couple tries of VMS I am thinking this will have a spot in my top 3 proteins by the end of the tub.

Besides the great smell, mixability, texture, and taste, the profile is great as well. I usually stick to protein blends, and this has a solid mix of what I’m looking for. I’m by no means a “low carber” and the 6.5g per scoop falls right in range for my lifestyle. The addition of MCT’s is another positive for the blend. I wouldn’t mind a couple more grams of protein per scoop, but I am perfectly happy with the 20g that’s provided.

Initial Ratings: (standard shake)
Smell: 9/10
Mixability: 10/10
Texture: (in water) 9/10 (in almond milk) 10/10
Taste: (in water) 9/10 (in almond milk) 10/10
Profile: 9/10

I will be trying VMS in several different ways throughout the remainder of my tub. I have more ideas than I do scoops of Protean so I’m going to have to pick and choose.

I was happy with the standard protein shakes I had, but I couldn’t wait to give McDonalds a run for its money. Last night I decided to come up with my own version of the Shamrock Shake.

Ingredients:
2 scoops VMS Protean
½ cup vanilla “Greek” frozen yogurt
12oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk

shake contents.jpg
shake.jpg

I put everything into my shaker and mixed it with a handheld blender. It came out thick, creamy, and ridiculously delicious. I was in heaven and it won't be the last of these shakes I have from the tub. I'm sure it would be even better with some more frozen greek yogurt, but i had reached my target calories for the day.

This morning I incorporated VMS into a solid breakfast. I used it to create what was an amazing, thick, and creamy proatmeal.

Ingredients:
1 1/3 scoops VMS Protean
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
6oz fat free plain greek yogurt (individual Chobani cup)
6oz of unsweetened vanilla almond milk

proatmeal.jpg

Both the taste and texture were great with this and I’ll be trying it again with vanilla greek yogurt which should only enhance the taste even more.

I already have a few more ideas/recipes lined up and will most likely be trying one tonight.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice review! I'm going to have to give the almond milk a try

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
perfect review, just what we're looking for!

I have been making my own milkshakes with a very similar recipe. feelslikeimcheating/10

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
perfect review, just what we're looking for!

I have been making my own milkshakes with a very similar recipe. feelslikeimcheating/10
Thanks Vaugh! I know what you mean. I'll probably make some variations of it now that I found a solid base to start with.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used VMS for my traditional post workout shake today. I currently eat between 4300-4600 calories a day and my shakes are both calorie and carb heavy. It's hard for me to consume enough food in the day to reach my daily target otherwise. I bring the dry ingredients to the gym in a big shaker and add cold water at the end of my workout.

Ingredients:
2 scoops VMS Protean
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (grinded)
~16oz water

Both the taste and consistency were great. The VMS flavor didn't take much of a hit with the extra water and the oats added a nice touch. I found the cool mintiness to be quite refreshing after a solid workout. I'm going to limit the use of VMS in my usual post workout shakes for now to allow a wider range of use. I have a couple ideas that I'll be testing out tonight.

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards
so much winning in this review. some of these recipes are awesome :) especially the milkshake one, going to have to give that a try at some point. great creativity and glad you're enjoying it so much OP

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks man. This stuff is impressive. I'm about to attempt to make some VMS ice cream.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Last night I decided to give a couple more recipes a try. I came up with VMS cake and ice cream in under 10 minutes from start to finish. I started out by trying to to make a VMS mini microwave cake. I've made these in the past, but having them turn out right can be difficult. It only works with certain protein blends and can go from good to awful in a matter of seconds. These can be made with just protein and a little bit of water, but I usually try to improve the consistency by switching the wet ingredients. A couple egg whites can be used to help the end result as well (didnt have any).

Ingredients:
1 scoop VMS Protean
1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tablespoon greek yogurt (never tried that before)

I took all the ingredients and mixed them in a ramekin (had to look that up) with a fork until fully blended.

cake mix.jpg

Then I put it in the microwave on 60% power for 57 seconds. The cooking time will be different for any given microwave, but you're on the right track if it starts to rise with about 10 seconds left. It can end up overcooked and turn out like a dry sponge if left in the microwave for a couple seconds too long. You might end up ruining it at first until you get an idea of how your microwave will work. I've gotten pretty good at guessing the right amount of time just by looking at the protein blend and its ingredients. Once its done cooking, I take a knife and run it around the edges of the container to loosen it up. Then I flip it over on to a plate and if cooked correctly you should be left with a nice Protean frosting on top of the cake. I usually let it sit for a few minutes to harden up a bit. I was pretty spot on with my first attempt and it came out moist and tasty. I was a little iffy about using greek yogurt in the microwave (thought it might sour or something) but at 60% power it ended up helping the end result. It would work fine without it anyways.

cake2.jpg

While I let my mini cake sit I whipped up some VMS ice cream. Its pretty simple and took me about 6-7 minutes.

Ingredients:
1 scoop VMS Protean
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
3 packets of Stevia sweetener (might have used 4 can't remember)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
~3 cups ice
1/2 cup salt (not used in ice cream)
1 small Ziploc bag
1 gallon Ziploc bag

First you mix the Protean, almond milk, vanilla extract, and sweetener in a bowl. Once its blended you put the mix into a small Ziploc bag.

ice cream mix.jpg

You put the ice and salt into the gallon bag. I don't know the exact science behind it, but I believe the salt makes it colder.

ice.jpg

Then you place the small bag into the big one, seal it up, and start shaking. However long you shake the bag will determine the consistency of the ice cream. I did it for about 5 minutes and it came out pretty solid.

ice cream double bag.jpg
ice cream bag (finished).jpg

Once the ice cream has reached your desired consistency remove the small bag from the gallon bag, rinse it off (so you don't risk salty ice cream), and scoop into a bowl. This came out great and actually tastes amazing (much better than it looks). I'll definitely be making this a few more times before the tub runs out.

ice cream.jpg

10 minutes and 2 scoops of VMS Protean for a great dessert.

cake and ice cream.jpg

theniteman

theniteman

Awards
Amazing recipes in here man! Im definitely gonna try some of these out soon. Got two tubs of VMS and 2 tubs of RVC to play with :D

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Amazing recipes in here man! Im definitely gonna try some of these out soon. Got two tubs of VMS and 2 tubs of RVC to play with :D
Thanks man. So far they've all turned out good. I have a couple more lined up that I'm definitely going to try. I want to keep making some of the stuff I already did, but I don't want to run out in a week. I'm gonna grab another tub and some RVC when I get the chance.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks man. So far they've all turned out good. I have a couple more lined up that I'm definitely going to try. I want to keep making some of the stuff I already did, but I don't want to run out in a week. I'm gonna grab another tub and some RVC when I get the chance.
My girl is always using my protean to bake cookies, cakes and muffins. I swear we've gone thru a 4lb tub in less then 2 weeks!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My girl is always using my protean to bake cookies, cakes and muffins. I swear we've gone thru a 4lb tub in less then 2 weeks!
Yeah I could easily burn through the 2lbs in about 5 days. That's why I'm trying to stick with quick 1 serving recipes instead of a big batch of something.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very good review and great job on doing different things, breezy. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the Protean flavors.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very good review and great job on doing different things, breezy. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the Protean flavors.
Thanks. I figured with a 2lb tub, I should probably test its use beyond just mixing in water or milk. I've tried and enjoyed Vanilla Cupcake Batter and I'm looking forward to trying RVC.

Thanks man.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I decided to try VMS in my post workout shake again. This time I used 1 scoop VMS and 1 scoop of a decent chocolate protein that I had on hand. I mixed both with 1.5 cups of grinded oats and about 16 oz of water. This turned out to be the best tasting chocolate mint protein shake I have ever had. I've tried a few different ones in the past, but most can't get the mint portion of the flavoring to taste any good. With the added mintiness of VMS I finally was able to have a chocolate mint shake that I could fully enjoy.

The other night I came up with a VMS pudding. I've never attempted a protein pudding before, but it turned out great.

Ingredients:
2 scoops VMS Protean
1 small box fat free sugar free vanilla instant pudding
mix
12oz fat free Greek yogurt (2 individual Chobani cups)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk

I put all the ingredients in a large bowl, mixed thoroughly with a wisk, then let chill in the refrigerator. I don't know exactly how long was needed for it to set properly, but I was busy and ended up letting it chill for about 45 minutes. The end result was delicious, and it was a nice pudding texture. This recipe makes a pretty big batch and can easily be cut in half. I wanted the extra calories so I went for it. I'm going to be trying this again with a chocolate pudding mix.

pudding.jpg

Last night I made an improved version of VMS ice cream. The first attempt was great, but I thought I could enhance the texture. This batch came out both bigger and better.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 scoops VMS Protean
6oz fat free Greek yogurt (individual Chobani cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 packets Stevia sweetener
~3 cups ice
1/2 cup salt
small Ziploc bag
gallon Ziploc bag

It was made the same way it was previously by putting the ingredients in the small bag and shaking it inside the large bag full of ice and salt. I think I ended up shaking it a little longer this time, but i wasn't timing it. The finished texture was less ice and more cream than the first batch. The taste was amazing and this recipe is a definite keeper for me.

ice cream 2.jpg

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chocolate Mint, I didn't think of that. I just ordered some chocolate whey isolate. Thanks for the idea!
No problem. I've always been disappointed by that flavor in the past.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you tried Gaspari Myofusion Chocolate mint?. I was impressed with the taste of it. I'm not sure the original version is still available though.
Yeah. That was actually the one that I liked the most, but I don't think its around anymore. I remember grabbing a 5lb tub for $35 from what I think was the last batch.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah. That was actually the one that I liked the most, but I don't think its around anymore. I remember grabbing a 5lb tub for $35 from what I think was the last batch.
New version has a lot more carbs and I've never tried it so I'm not sure on the taste...Actually I don't see a chocolate mint version of the "Probiotic series".

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't have the patience to make a recipe like you do though. For me protein powder is all about convenience.
I normally stick to proatmeal and shakes for the most part. I might try some cookies, but the rest of the stuff only took a few minutes.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
New version has a lot more carbs and I've never tried it so I'm not sure on the taste.
I've had a few of the new version flavors and they pretty much taste the same.

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards
I decided to try VMS in my post workout shake again. This time I used 1 scoop VMS and 1 scoop of a decent chocolate protein that I had on hand. I mixed both with 1.5 cups of grinded oats and about 16 oz of water. This turned out to be the best tasting chocolate mint protein shake I have ever had. I've tried a few different ones in the past, but most can't get the mint portion of the flavoring to taste any good. With the added mintiness of VMS I finally was able to have a chocolate mint shake that I could fully enjoy.

The other night I came up with a VMS pudding. I've never attempted a protein pudding before, but it turned out great.

Ingredients:
2 scoops VMS Protean
1 small box fat free sugar free vanilla instant pudding
mix
12oz fat free Greek yogurt (2 individual Chobani cups)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk

I put all the ingredients in a large bowl, mixed thoroughly with a wisk, then let chill in the refrigerator. I don't know exactly how long was needed for it to set properly, but I was busy and ended up letting it chill for about 45 minutes. The end result was delicious, and it was a nice pudding texture. This recipe makes a pretty big batch and can easily be cut in half. I wanted the extra calories so I went for it. I'm going to be trying this again with a chocolate pudding mix.

View attachment 58148

Last night I made an improved version of VMS ice cream. The first attempt was great, but I thought I could enhance the texture. This batch came out both bigger and better.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 scoops VMS Protean
6oz fat free Greek yogurt (individual Chobani cup)
4 packets Stevia sweetener
~3 cups ice
1/2 cup salt
small Ziploc bag
gallon Ziploc bag

It was made the same way it was previously by putting the ingredients in the small bag and shaking it inside the large bag full of ice and salt. I think I ended up shaking it a little longer this time, but i wasn't timing it. The finished texture was less ice and more cream than the first batch. The taste was amazing and this recipe is a definite keeper for me.

View attachment 58149
probably one of my favorite recipes. feels like you're cheating but you're far from it lol. the cake and ice cream looked awesome too

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
probably one of my favorite recipes. feels like you're cheating but you're far from it lol. the cake and ice cream looked awesome too
Yeah the ice cream is delicious. I might have some more tonight.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
WOW. I gotta try that ice cream! Nice review!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't have the patience to make a recipe like you do though. For me protein powder is all about convenience.

Same for me.. i shake it with canola oil, oats, down it as quick as possible. Were basic :D

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've had a couple more shakes with oats, one straight VMS and another mixed with chocolate protein. Both are delicious, but I'm trying to limit using the rest of the tub this way.

Yesterday I made some Frosted VMS Protean and Oats Cookies. They came out pretty tasty, especially with the added frosting. I ended up overcooking them by a couple minutes, so I'd like to try them again once I get another tub.

Ingredients:

Cookie
5 scoops VMS Protean (~1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup fat free Greek yougurt
2 egg whites
12 packets stevia sweetener (equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar sweetness)

Frosting
2 scoops VMS Protean
1 packet stevia sweetener
minimal amount of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or water) to achieve frosting consistency

First I preheated the oven to 350. Then mixed all the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another. Once mixed thoroughly, I combined the bowls and mixed into a dough. I separated the dough into 5 somewhat equal cookies on a baking sheet and put it in the oven for 10-15 minutes. I should have been paying closer attention and taken them out after about 11-12 minutes, but let them bake 15.
While the cookies baked I mixed 2 scoops of VMS with just enough almond milk to get a frosting. Once I took the cookies out of the oven I topped them with the frosting.

cookies.jpg

I was pretty happy with the outcome of these. I only made 5 of them because I wanted to get at least a full scoop of VMS in each one. They were each pretty big and one is decently filling. The macros of each ended up being just what I'm looking for in a good healthy snack.

1 cookie (if all of equal size)
Calories: 252
Fat: 6.3g
Carbs: 24g
Protein: 33g
Fiber: 3.4g

I'm not sure, but before I finish up the tub I'll probably try making more ice cream and pudding. I want to try a chocolate mint version of each.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
epic recipes bro!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks brother. These would've been better if I didn't overcook them. I really just wanted them for the nutritonal value. I think I'll line a whole baking sheet with the same recipe (using any protein) and cut up a bunch of protein bars.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've had a couple more shakes with oats, one straight VMS and another mixed with chocolate protein. Both are delicious, but I'm trying to limit using the rest of the tub this way.

Yesterday I made some Frosted VMS Protean and Oats Cookies. They came out pretty tasty, especially with the added frosting. I ended up overcooking them by a couple minutes, so I'd like to try them again once I get another tub.

Ingredients:

Cookie
5 scoops VMS Protean (~1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup fat free Greek yougurt
2 egg whites
12 packets stevia sweetener (equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar sweetness)

Frosting
2 scoops VMS Protean
1 packet stevia sweetener
minimal amount of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or water) to achieve frosting consistency

First I preheated the oven to 350. Then mixed all the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another. Once mixed thoroughly, I combined the bowls and mixed into a dough. I separated the dough into 5 somewhat equal cookies on a baking sheet and put it in the oven for 10-15 minutes. I should have been paying closer attention and taken them out after about 11-12 minutes, but let them bake 15.
While the cookies baked I mixed 2 scoops of VMS with just enough almond milk to get a frosting. Once I took the cookies out of the oven I topped them with the frosting.

View attachment 58798

I was pretty happy with the outcome of these. I only made 5 of them because I wanted to get at least a full scoop of VMS in each one. They were each pretty big and one is decently filling. The macros of each ended up being just what I'm looking for in a good healthy snack.

1 cookie (if all of equal size)
Calories: 252
Fat: 6.3g
Carbs: 24g
Protein: 33g
Fiber: 3.4g

I'm not sure, but before I finish up the tub I'll probably try making more ice cream and pudding. I want to try a chocolate mint version of each.
A full scoop in each one! They must taste awesome.. I just eat the powder right from the tub lol

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A full scoop in each one! They must taste awesome.. I just eat the powder right from the tub lol
They're each pretty big so the flavor isn't overpowering (not that that would be a bad thing). It kind of tastes like a slighty minty bread. Adding the frosting made them taste fanstastic.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've had a couple more shakes and at this point I'm addicted. I only have a few scoops left and I'll see what I can come up with this weekend.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've had a couple more shakes and at this point I'm addicted. I only have a few scoops left and I'll see what I can come up with this weekend.
Im in the same situation as you bro, really blows! I love this stuff. Blended with ice, it gets so creamy! i add sugar free vanilla ice cream also.. yum!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im in the same situation as you bro, really blows! I love this stuff. Blended with ice, it gets so creamy! i add sugar free vanilla ice cream also.. yum!
I've been trying to make it last until I got some more, but it doesn't look like its gonna make it. I'm planning on picking up some RVC too, which I haven't had the chance to try at this point.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been trying to make it last until I got some more, but it doesn't look like its gonna make it. I'm planning on picking up some RVC too, which I haven't had the chance to try at this point.
With the good advertisement and recipe ideas you would give this would be a perfect opportunity for iforce to sponsor a review from you for RVC. ;-) just sayin....

I personally enjoyed this review and gave a couple of your recipes a go and I'm more then hooked!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With the good advertisement and recipe ideas you would give this would be a perfect opportunity for iforce to sponsor a review from you for RVC. ;-) just sayin....

I personally enjoyed this review and gave a couple of your recipes a go and I'm more then hooked!
Thanks LTL! Glad you enjoyed it. I don't know what, but I'll probably make something tomorrow based on whatever I have to work with.