GreenEarth Gets Focused with Neogenix NeuroSurge!

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Hey everyone,

My name is Michael, and I'm here to run about a month-long review for Neogenix's NeuroSurge. Big shout out to all of their reps for sending me out some of this stuff to review for them. I plan to make this log as DETAILED as possible, because I owe that to the reps on this forum. So this first post will be quite long. On to the formal stuff...

I'm 6' and ~185lbs, 11%ish BF. Currently bulking. Been training steadily for a little over 4 years, although I'd say the majority of my progress has been made in the past year and a half using Doggcrapp training. I'm genetically 90% Irish (we're a handsome bunch, but muscle doesn't come easy!), and I've found with DC, which focuses on training til failure every set with very short rests in between (15 steady breaths), that intensity coupled with heavy weights and massive amounts of food is about the only thing that makes me grow (still haven't dipped my feet into the anabolic side of lifting lol, just for the record of this log).

Due to this required intensity, I need to be EXTREMELY focused on each and every rep of each and every set. That's part of the reason I think I'll be a great test subject for NeuroSurge - need those nootropics for my focus!

The basis for DC is focused on working til failure every set, taking short breaks, and then working til failure again. DC uses rest-pause (it will be abbreviated as 'RPed' on my log), with straight sets (SSed in my log) for some muscles. Personally, my muscles respond very well to a strong focus on the negative rep (5-6 seconds), coupled with an explosive positive. When you see my RPed sets, assume they follow that mold: slow negative, explosive positive.

Typically, this results in each set being about half of the reps of the previous set. IE, if I'm doing pull-ups, I'll have an explosive upwards motion and then lower myself very slowly, then repeat the process for each rep. After failing at, let's say, 12 reps, I'll drop down, take 15 steady breaths (usually a little less than a minute of rest), jump back onto the bar, do explosive positives and slow negative for 6 or 7 reps (failure once again), drop down, 15 breaths, then 3-4 reps (once again, failure). I hope that makes sense.

I also incorporate both static reps and stretches at the end of my exercises. A static rep is a rep that is performed, and then held at roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the negative for as long as possible. Feels bad, but feels so good afterwards. A stretch is performed at the end of a set as well, for certain muscle groups, wherein, using some sort of weight or machine, you take a muscle group to what would be essentially the lowest point of the negative (most extreme point of the "stretch"), and hold it there as long as possible. This is hard to describe...you can't always use weights, lest you risk injury. There are picture descriptions of stretches on intense muscle (DC's homepage) if anyone is so inclined to check lol.

There are A and B days for DC. The A day is chest, shoulders, triceps, back width and back thickness. One exercise per muscle group, to complete failure. B days are Calves, Thighs, Quads, Biceps, and Forearms. Glutes are naturally worked during this as well. My schedule goes: A1, B1, A2, B2, repeat.

One last thing to note...for about the past 2-3 years, I've had a lot of issues with the lowest disk in my spine (L6? L7? Can't quite remember). I injured it deadlifting a while ago, and further hurt it lifting kegs for my job (bartending) last summer. Still in chiropractic for it, but before anyone calls me out for not doing deads or squats, trust me, I want to do them even more than you want me to do them, but it just isn't a possibility lol.

Now since we're done with that, on to the workout!

Day 1 - Monday, 4/9/12 - A1 Day

Dosage: Took one scoop of NeuroSurge, along with 100mg of DMAA. Up until this point I've been taking 2 scoops of Scivation's Novem along with 100mg DMAA, so I was interested to see how a nootropic-based pre-WO would compare to a pre-WO based more around NO. Both of these were taken about a half hour before my workout.

Chest - Flat DB press. Warm up - 45lb DBs X 15. Rest Paused set: 95lb DBs 9, 5, 4, static rep.

This felt great. In DC, this would be refereed to as 18 reps (all sets added up) RPed. For chest, I usually like to get between 15-20, so I was right on the mark here. Bumped up to 95s from 90s last week and got the same reps, so I was certainly pleased. I was expecting something more like 8, 4, 2, static. Once again, please remember - each set is to failure, with a ~1-minute rest in between.

Shoulder - Lateral DB Raises. Warm up - 15lbs X 15. Straight-setted: 30lb DBs 12, 8, 6. Picked up 25lb DBs immediately after my last set and managed 8 reps.

Felt a great pump in my shoulders. I actually bumped up to 30s this week, and I'm not sure if I'll stick with it or not. I couldn't control is as well as 25s, and with lat raises I'd much rather have control and a very strict rep than be leaning back and using other muscles. PLEASE NOTE: SHOULDERS ARE MY BIGGEST DOWNFALL! Compared to the rest of my body, my shoulder are lagging like crazy. I've actually gone from working out 3 days a week to 4, just add a special day for my shoulders lol. They're slowly coming up - I think NeuroSurge can help the rest of the way!

Triceps - Weighted dips. BW + 60lb DB, RPed - 12, 8, 4, BW X 11.

Holy tricep stretch batman! I like to take dips very slowly and go as low as I can possibly go, and then bring them up almost all of the way to complete arm extension. I feel a lot of people cheat their way through dips too much (with quarter reps, you're only cheating yourself!), so I like to really go low. However, I don't like to hold myself at the bottom too long - after working shoulders, I feel a great degree of stretch from them at the lowest point, and injury is the last thing I want! Instead of a static or stretch, I like to take 15 breaths after my last set and then try doing as many BW dips as I got in the first set of weighted dips. As you can see, this time I missed it by one, but it absolutely killed my tris, which is exactly what I wanted. To be fair, this exercise was also bumped up from +55lbs last week.

Back Thickness - Pullups. BW RPed - 12, 7, 4, static + stretch.

Not much to say - felt great. By this time my entire body felt pumped. My focus was dead on - really helped my feel my back lifting me rather than my bis, which has always been an issue for me.

Back Width - Plate-Loaded Lat Pulldown - 3 plates + 15lbs per side (not sure how this translates to a normal lat pulldown, lol sorry). RPed - 9, 5, 4, static + stretch.

By this point my head was just so in the game. All I could think about was lifting that ****ing weight. Last week I just had 3 plates per side and got 8, 5, 3, so I added weight this week and lifted it for more reps - sounds like good progress to me!

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Killer. With Novem, I always felt a big stimmed-out. With Neurosurge, I felt the same energy, but with an extreme amount of focus. Tuned out music, conversations, everything - today was just my workout and me. It almost felt like the weight of the top part of my head was gone - like my brain was out in the open, light and focused only on what I desired. Weird way to explain it, but there you have it lol. One or two of Neogenix's reps suggested I try this without the DMAA*, and I plan to do that next workout. To be fair, NeuroSurge is a nootropic-based pre-WO while DMAA is a stimulant, and a stimulant that has never made me feel particularly focused, so I know the addition of NS is what brought on the serious focus I felt on my workout - so far, so good! At first I was afraid I might get no effect from it and would just have to bear through some lackluster reviews, but after my first dosage, I'm pumped to see where it'll take me in the next month!

*in regards to the 100mg dosage of DMAA - I happen to be plagued by a very strong tolerance to stimulant, and anything under 100mg of this doesn't affect me. If you're tempted to imitate my pre-WO - PLEASE start with only 20-40mg of DMAA to assess tolerance!

Thanks again to Neogenix! Will update this log after my workout on Wednesday.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed for the Neuro rocking!

DkGreek

DkGreek

Awards
  • Established
I'm in like sin.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
A day late! Sorry Neogenix!

Today was my B1 day: Hams, Calves, Quads, Biceps, Forearms.

Day 2 - Wednesday, 4/11/12 - B1 Day

Dosage: Took one scoop of NeuroSurge, and that's it. Half hour before working out, no stims other than the caffeine in the product.

Hammies - Lying Leg Curl - Warm up set 80lbs X 15. From there, 155lbs RPed - 11, 7, 5, static/stretch

I was happy with this lift. Same weight as last week, but powered in a lot more reps, especially in the first set. Usually plan to hit anywhere from 8-10, and at 9 I still felt pretty damn confident about getting 2 more, and just barely managed out 11 (hard last rep). The rest of the sets pretty much panned out the same way, and I walked away (barely) with some sore hammies.

Calves - Seated Calf Raises, Plate loaded. Warm up - 1 plate per side, 30 reps. SSed: 2pps, 21 reps. 2 plates +25 per side, 18 reps. 3pps, 12 reps.

Damn, wasn't expecting 12 reps on 3 plates per side! Reps are getting quite difficult at that point, and I was impressed that I managed this lift. NeuroSurge? Could be...lol

Quads - Quad Extensions, Plate loaded. 2 plates X 20 (warm up). SSed: 3 plates X 15, 4 plates X 12, 5 plates X 10

Once again, pleasantly surprised with my top set. 5 plates on these plate-loaded machines is getting quite strenuous, but pumping them out felt incredible. Felt some slight strain in my knee towards the end though, might have to check out how it's feeling on my next leg day to see if I should take it easy for just a little while on it.

Biceps - Preacher curls. Warm up: 50lbs X 15. RPed - 100lbs 10, 6, 3, static.

Awesome! Really wanted to nail this lift, and the first 6-7 reps of the first set went smooth as warm butter. I always make sure to sustain a good 4-6 second negative on preachers, since I always feel like my bicep gets the most work through this. Kept my negative very controlled, and my last positive reps of each set were often 6-10 seconds long, a real fight to the finish.

Forearms - One-Arm Reverse Cable Curls - 40lbs - 15 reps per arm, 12, 10

After such an intense preacher curl set, these were getting less reps than usual, but I was feeling the reps so much better than I usually do. Definitely a better exercise to hit when you're already fatigued - really pushes it home lol.

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Still going great. With so much less in terms of stimulant effect, I thought I would have an off day in the gym, but I was right on target. Felt a large degree of focus, and certainly managed to sustain is throughout the entire workout. By now I'm just excited to see where Neurosurge continues to take me...will update after my next workout!

Thanks again to Neogenix!

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Today was my A2 day: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back Width + Back Thickness.

Day 3 - Friday, 4/13/12 - A2 Day

Dosage: Took one scoop of NeuroSurge, and that's it. Half hour before working out.

Chest - DB Flys - Warm up set 25lb DBs X 15. RPed set: 45lb DBs 13, 7, 5, static/stretch

Felt great. When I first picked flys up a couple months ago I was doing 50lb DBs, but I wasn't feeling it that well and realize I was probably sacrificing all sorts of form for weight. Lowered the weight to 40lb DBs and have only bumped up from them once, and now I feel an incredible amount of stretch in my chest as I do this exercise. The second and third set both especially had a 5-7 second last rep that tore the crap out of my chest.

Shoulders - DB Presses Warm up set of Arnold Presses 30lb DBs X 12. RPed set: 65lb DBs 7, 4, 3, static.

Bah. Last week I had done 65lb DBs and felt they were too much. The issue is that I'm always struggling with my shoulders, and I convinced myself that without upping the weight I couldn't see progress. However, from 60lbs to 65lbs seems to be a very long stretch of road, especially since i like to at least get 8 reps off the bat and that didn't happen here, for the second week in a row. That's probably a sign that I need to lower the weight, but I'm tempted to try this weight just one more time to see if I can do better with it.

Triceps - BW Dips: 24, 13, 10, Super-setted with diamond-stance push-ups.

So typically I do an overhead tricep extension for my A2 day. For whatever reason the gym appeared to be devoid of the attachments to achieve that lift. They've always been there before, but I scoured both rooms and found nothing. Oh well, this was a nice change and actually felt pretty decent.

Back Thickness - Lat Pulldowns. Warm up 120 X 15. RPed set: 210lbs 10, 6, 4, static/stretch.

Very nice lift. Took it slow and really focused my attention on my lats, and always made sure to return to the start position as high as my arms would go (always feel a much better stretch in my back when I do this). I think I'll be bumping up to 220 next week.

Back Width - Sitting Plate-Loaded Rows. 5 plates per side, RPed: 12, 7, 5, static/stretch.

Hard to describe this machine. It's a nautilus xplode machine that is plate-loaded, and the hand for each arm is independent of the handle for the other arm (so if you only wanted to work one side of your lats, you could just pull on one of the handles). Either way, it's the type of machine that always gives you a great stretch and also makes you feel like a monster, so you really can't go wrong here lol.

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Lovin' it. Focus was there today, and the only disappointment was with the DB shoulder presses. But, to be fair, I had just gotten off of an 8-hour shift of nothing but physical labor, so I was already a bit fatigued: I actually did better than I thought I would after a shift like that. Also felt some energy that I wasn't expecting: could have been the caffeine, could have just been that the focus made me feel energized, but it was definitely noticeable and definitely helped me power through my workout and onto my next job.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great workouts glad to see it working for you. Awesome log so far very detailed for sure.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Today was my B2 day: Hams, Calves, Quads, Biceps, Forearms.

Day 4 - Monday, 4/16/12 - B2 Day

Dosage: Took one scoop of NeuroSurge, and that's it. Half hour before working out.

Hammies - Sitting Leg Curl - Warm up set 90lbs X 15. From there, 185lbs RPed - 12, 8, 6, static/stretch

I was actually expecting to lift a lot less than this, but I was certainly happy that I repped out 12 initially, and then had remarkably fast recovery for my last two sets. Definitely time to bump the weight, since the reps were feeling like butter up until the end.

Calves - Seated Calf Press - Warm up set 80lbs X 20. SSed: 150 X 18, 180 X 15, 210 X 12

My calves are an interesting aspect of my body...they pretty much dwarf the rest of me, since they're quite large even though I haven't worked them up to that point. I call them my "one genetic gift." Either way, I like to work them because I hate neglecting any part of my body, but simultaneously I'm not trying to make them a whole lot bigger. That's why, as you may have noticed by now, I usually do pyramid sets up in weight, usually with higher reps. I was taking it easy on them today, only worked up to 210 X 12, but it felt great regardless.

Quads - None

The past few days my right knee has felt off. Don't know quite how to describe it, just off. After sitting down for a while, it feels stiff, like it wants to pop but won't. It's made it hard to walk at times, so for this week I'm just letting my knee rest to see how it feels. Hams and Calves feel fine, but training quads tends to put a bit more stress on it.

Biceps - 21s. 80lbs RPed - 21, 15, 9

So, doing 21s DC style should really be called doing 21s, 15s, 9s. Same 15 breaths in between sets, so the reps go down each set. The first set I actually wound up with 23 reps total, because I felt I still had some in me at the end of the 7 full reps, and pumped out 2 more. Past that, I kept the sets pretty straight-forward. Would like to bump to 90lbs next week and see how that treats me. This exercise gave me an incredible pump in my bis.

Forearms - Reverse Cable Curls - SSed. 110lbs X 17, 120lbs X 13, 130lbs X 10

Usually I start with 100lbs on this exercise, so I decided to bump up my starting weight and see how I felt finishing off at 130. Felt great. Took appropriate rest time in between 21s and these, and that gave me the strength I needed to really hit these as hard as I had hoped to. I knew it would be a good set when I got 17 at 110lbs.

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Feel like neurosurge may have been what helped me power through today. The past few days have been rough in terms of energy and focus, and I was naturally expecting to have a crappy workout because of that. However, this workout went a lot better than I expected, with an increased weight in nearly every exercise. My mind is all over the place because I have an approaching graduation to worry about, and also have a recital to give (solo musical performance), so there's a lot that's distracting me. Despite that, I was still on-point and focused in the gym, and I think I have neurosurge to thank for that.

Thanks again for the support guys!

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice numbers considering the sore knee hope you get better.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Sorry for the delay guys...I'm graduating in two weeks, so everything's a bit crazy. I had my senior recital (I'm a music major) last night, so now with that HUGE weight off my shoulders, I can get back to updating these logs. Sorry again.

Day 5 - Wednesday, 4/18/12 - A1 Day

Dosage: Took one scoop of NeuroSurge.

Chest - Flat DB press. Warm up - 40lb DBs X 15. Rest Paused set: 95lb DBs 9, 5, 4, static rep.

Feeling pretty good, actually got the same numbers as last week. As I had said though, last week was the first time for me with 95s, so I was glad to see the numbers weren't just a fluke. 18 RPed reps are great for chest, so I'm definitely happy with this. Hoping perhaps for 20 RPed reps next week.

Shoulder - Lateral DB Raises. Straight-setted: 25lb DBs 13, 8, 7.

I'm glad I decided to go back in weight from my 30lb DBs last week. Although I always like to progress, the movement with them felt as though I wasn't getting the full stretch I desired, and with the 25s I get a kind of full wingspan stretch that really seems to target my shoulders the way I want them to be. Deduction: keep on rocking the 25s and build reps rather than increasing weight.

Triceps - Weighted dips. BW + 60lb DB, RPed - 15, 8, 5, BW X 16.

DAMN! This went incredibly well. I think it may be because I have myself more rest between my previous two exercises and this one. Last week I just squeezed out 12 reps in the beginning, and this week I started with 15. As I've said before, at the end of the set I do my bodyweight for as many reps as I can (usually shoot for the same number of reps I get on my first set with the weight added), and while last week I only got 11, this week I blasted all the way through 16. Still going as deep as I can and feeling a serious stretch. Very happy with this lift.

Back Thickness - Pullups. BW RPed - 13, 7, 4, static + stretch.

Feelin' good. I'm eating to gain weight, but luckily my BW rep numbers aren't going down. Managed to squeeze out number 13 on the first set, and from there it went as I hoped it would. Great feeling in my back from the static + stretch.

Back Width - Plate-Loaded Lat Pulldown - 3 plates + 25lbs per side (not sure how this translates to a normal lat pulldown, lol sorry). RPed - 8, 5, 4, static + stretch.

Yeah buddy! Added 10lbs per arm for this exercise, and only wound up with one less RP rep. By the end of this exercise I was ready to be done though: I was sweating and gasping for air!

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Still loving it. Focus is incredible, and I'm making progress on damn near everything, so I can't deny that the small dosage of caffeine is helping me feel a bit hyped-up when I start picking those weights up. Glad I've still got quite a few servings left!

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 6 - Friday, 4/20/12 - B1 Day

Hammies - Lying Leg Curl - Warm up set 80lbs X 15. From there, 160lbs RPed - 10, 6, 4, static/stretch

Upped my weight a bit on this. My legs felt strangely fatigued from the get-go. Might be because I walked about 3 miles before starting this workout (lots of errands to be running lol), but as soon as I started lifting I kind of had that "oh boy" feeling in my hammies. Still, the numbers were respectable for being tired and having a heavier weight than I've lifted before, so I decided to power on.

Calves - Seated Calf Raises, Plate loaded. Warm up - 1 plate per side, 30 reps. SSed: 2pps, 25 reps. 2 plates +25 per side, 21 reps. 3pps, 12 reps.

Once again, very happy with 12 reps for the last set. For those of you who don't know (and this isn't meant to be a brag), but that last set is ****ing heavy. Like, seriously. I may have already mentioned it, but I'm convinced that my calves are my "one genetic gift" that I got from my parents. It may partially come from being fat as a kid, but my calves are very very large, and are quite strong to boot on that. Have never actually ever seen anyone in my gym doing as much weight as I do on this exercise. ALRIGHT, BRAGGING DONE. I think it's okay for me to brag a bit on calves, because I'm pretty much just "average" in every single other area haha.

Quads - Quad Extensions, Plate loaded. SSed: 3 plates X 15, 4 plates X 12, 5 plates X 10

Kept this the same as last week as to not push it too hard. I decided that my knee was feeling decent enough to do them, but it's fair to mention that at the end I still did feel a bit of pressure on the kneecap while walking around. Please forgive me if I skip quads in future workouts, but the health of my knee is quite important to me lol.

Biceps - Preacher curls. Warm up: 50lbs X 15. RPed - 100lbs 11, 6, 4, static.

What a drastic difference from my hammies. My biceps felt primed and ready to go today (perhaps if I have walked three miles on my hand that opposite would be the case lol). Got 2 more RPed reps than I did last week at the same weight. Very happy with my progress here.

Forearms - One-Arm Reverse Cable Curls - 40lbs - 17 reps. 50lbs - 13 reps. 50lbs - 11 reps

Very happy here. You'll notice that last week I stayed at 40lbs for the entire set, but in this one I upped to 50 (because 17 reps at 40 is a good sign), and I'm very happy that I did. The key in this lift is to not lift the cable with your hand downwards. Rather, twist your fist/wrist up so that, if you were holding your arm straight out in front of you, the back of your hand would be staring right back at you. Having your hand back like that really helps your forearms do that majority of the work. For a while I accidentally was doing it while letting my wrist droop, and my forearms didn't get much work: in addition to not being entirely pleasant my wrist, most of the stretch/pain felt from the lift was in my biceps, which is not what I want. With that corrected, I feel my forearms are getting a great workout with this exercise.

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: What can I say? Focus is still through the roof. The only exercise I felt fatigued on were laying hammie curls, and then my knee on the quad extensions. But neurosurge doesn't present itself as having knee-healing capabilities (unless you guys put some HGH in this you didn't tell me about lol), and I certainly wouldn't expect it to make my hammies feel like-new after 3 miles, so I'm still very satisfied with the effects I'm getting from it. Thanks again neogenix!

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Woo been slacking on my duties here. When I get home I'll back read your last two updates.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
No worries big guy, I've been submitting these slightly late, so it's on me. Like I said, just have all these finals and performances and such to give, they've been taking up a lot of time. Actually started thinking about maybe trying some neurosurge for studying/taking some of my tests due to the nootropic effect and the focus. Not sure if you'd want me to write about it on here if I did, but I figured I'd put it out there.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No worries big guy, I've been submitting these slightly late, so it's on me. Like I said, just have all these finals and performances and such to give, they've been taking up a lot of time. Actually started thinking about maybe trying some neurosurge for studying/taking some of my tests due to the nootropic effect and the focus. Not sure if you'd want me to write about it on here if I did, but I figured I'd put it out there.
If you want to try it for studying up to you bud.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
I know what you're all thinking..."oh, this ******* just took a free tub of neurosurge and bailed!"

Not so! Last week into this week has been finals for me guys...I'm a senior and graduating, so a lot of the finals were meant to be cumulative for the last 4 years. On top of that, I worked some job every day of the week. Due to those stipulations, I took the week off from the gym. I will be starting back up again today (today was the last day of final). I was supposed to have work tonight but got called off, so I will have more than enough time to pick up where I left off.

Sorry to all the neogenix guys for my lull in activity! I promise I wasn't just sitting around playing with myself lol...been busy!

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know what you're all thinking..."oh, this ******* just took a free tub of neurosurge and bailed!"

Not so! Last week into this week has been finals for me guys...I'm a senior and graduating, so a lot of the finals were meant to be cumulative for the last 4 years. On top of that, I worked some job every day of the week. Due to those stipulations, I took the week off from the gym. I will be starting back up again today (today was the last day of final). I was supposed to have work tonight but got called off, so I will have more than enough time to pick up where I left off.

Sorry to all the neogenix guys for my lull in activity! I promise I wasn't just sitting around playing with myself lol...been busy!
Its okay we understand everyone on here has lives outside of AM.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Today was an A2 day: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back Width + Back Thickness.

Day 7 - Wednesday, 5/2/12 - A2 Day

Dosage: Took one scoop of NeuroSurge, half hour before working out.

Chest - DB Flys - Warm up set 25lb DBs X 15. RPed set: 45lb DBs 12, 7, 5, static/stretch

Went down a bit in reps on the first set, but believe it or not I'm happy - I feel like most people mess up DB Flys by trying to add a lot of weight and then sucking on form. For this set I made a 5-7 second negative and really focused on my arm position - felt an INCREDIBLE stretch on every single set.

Shoulders - DB Presses Warm up set of Arnold Presses 30lb DBs X 12. RPed set: 65lb DBs 7, 4, 3, static.

Same damn story. Felt mad after these. SHOULDERS, Y U NO GET STRONGER????? Think it might be officially time to pick up a different shoulder exercise...when you completely plateua/stop making any progress on one, despite making progress on other shoulder exercises, I think it's time to switch it up. I want to be able to get stronger in my shoulders, and I feel like there's something about DB presses that just doesn't sit well with me.

Triceps - Overhead tricep Extension - Warmup: 120lbs X 25. SS - 180lbs X 24, 200lbs X 18, 210lbs X 15

Felt incredible. Great stretch and my balance was solid as well (getting this exercise into position and maintaining that position is never an easy task). The day after, I still feel a soreness in my tris. Love it.

Back Thickness - Lat Pulldowns. Warm up 120 X 15. RPed set: 220lbs 9, 6, 4, static/stretch.

Last week I said I'd bump to 220, and here it is. Felt great, almost had the same reps as my 210 set (minus one on the very first set). My recovery for lats has felt really good recently, and I feel like it's been ever since I started Neurosurge. Usually from set to set my reps seriously suffer, but I'm hitting the DC range I hope to get, so I'm more than happy.

Back Width - Sitting Plate-Loaded Rows. 5 plates per side + 25lbs per side, RPed: 10, 6, 4, static/stretch.

**** yeah. Felt great. Added 25lbs per arm (actually an accident...forgot my log book, so I forgot what I did last week lol). Managed to keep form, feel a great stretch, and grunt out til failure. The static and the stretch only wound up being about 25 seconds due to being quite fatigued (lat pulldowns followed by these will do that).

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Still going strong. Like I said, my recovery between sets seems to be even better than it's ever been before, and my focus is still right on point. Especially at a time when there are so many things to distract me (graduation!), I mightily appreciate the extra boost and focus neurosurge has been giving me. Thanks again NeoGenix!

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice latpull downs yeesh big time numbers.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 8 - Saturday, 5/5/12 - "Weak Aspects" Day

***Note*** This day usually occurs on Saturday. I've been using it for the past two months or so. I view my shoulders as being the weakest part of my body, along with my chest, so I've begun to use Saturday as a traditional Shoulder/Chest day. The reason this is the first day I'm mentioning it is because usually I take a break from any sort of stims, pre-WOs, etc. on weekends. It's nothing against any of the supplements, I just feel it's healthy so I don't wind up with a dependence on any of the stims I use. However, my B2 day yesterday wound up being very impromptu, and I didn't feel right logging that.

Chest - Incline BB Bench - Warmup with bar X 15. SS: 135 X 15, 175 X 8, 205 X 5

I actually had no idea what numbers I was using on this until right now. I haven't done any sort of BB bench (shoulders on flat BB were holding me back, and I always felt very prone to injury therein) in a year or two, so I literally started this with a plate per side and have just been increasing how I felt I should, without thinking about the actual weight. Good to realize I'm over 200 on it. Was actually tempted to try 225 for a rep or two, but realized suddenly that I hated number-changing and one-rep-maxing...I used to train like that, and constantly gained strength without ever looking any better. Would rather keep my max at 5 reps and make my way up to 225 over the next month or two.

Shoulders - Smythe Military Press. Warm up - Bar X 15. Bar + 1 plate per side ("135") X 12, Bar + 1 plate + 15lbs per side X 8, Bar + 1 plate + 15lbs per side X 7

Help me, my shoulders are weak and I feel weak because of it.

Shoulders/Traps - Front Raises (DBs) supersetted with DB Shrugs. Straight Set - FR @ 25lbs DBs X 40, Shrugs @ 85lb DBs X 12. FR 30lbs DBs X 34, Shrugs @ 85lb DBs X 10. FR @ 35lbs DBs X 24, Shrugs @ 85lb DBs X 8.

I love this superset. My shoulders and traps feel completely spent by the end. A completely killer combination of two exercises that play off of one another quite well. I write these as straight sets, but I usually try for as little rest of possible between sets (15-20 deep breaths).

Chest - Machine Chest Flys - SS: 140lbs X 13, 10, 8

I felt spent. Managed to pump these guys out, but it was certainly tough.

Also did one of those sort of side raise shoulder machines. Did a lower weight for higher reps, and then held a 30-second static rep at the end of each set. Feel the burn!

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Good stuff guys, still loving it. I hadn't eaten in damn near 20 hours when I walked in (Friday + Saturday were graduation ceremonies, with a lot of my family coming out, so stuff just wound up being sporadic), and I felt incredible about my strength, especially on Incline BB bench. Thanks again Neogenix.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 9 - Monday, 5/7/12 - A1 Day

Chest - Flat DB press. Warm up - 45lb DBs X 15. Rest Paused set: 95lb DBs 9, 5, 4, static rep.

Same numbers as last time. A little disappointed...could definitely feel some more reps in me that wouldn't come out. I was a bit exhausted today, but I wasn't willing to miss my workout because of it. I think next wednesday (next A1 day) I'm going to shoot for adding a rep to all of my sets on this guy. I will also have had a solid 4 days of rest after my Saturday chest training, so I should be ready to conquer.

Shoulders - Lateral DB Raises. Straight-setted: 25lb DBs 13, 8, 7.

Once again, maintained numbers (seems like that kind of day haha). Again, with my nutrition over the weekend (not ****ty nutrition, just didn't get to eat as much as I would like to support my muscular gain), I wasn't expecting anything incredible...I was actually kind of happy that I managed to maintain here.

Triceps - Weighted dips. BW + 65lb DB, RPed - 12, 7, 4.

Nutrition and rest be damned - I'm increasing weight! I was glad I did. Decreased reps a bit, but I felt a great stretch in my triceps from this. Remember how, usually, at the end of this exercise I do a bodyweight set that matched my first weighted set? I honestly completely forgot to do it. Was doing my workout in between my job that ended at 4:30 and the next one that started at 6, so I was a bit scatterbrained on top of everything else, I apologize.

Back Thickness - Pullups. BW RPed - 15, 8, 5, static + stretch.

Wow. Nice. Added 3 BW reps to my first set. Don't know why, just felt like I had it in me to do so. Pretty damn happy.

Back Width - **NEW EXERCISE** Plate-Loaded T-Bar Row Machine - 1 plate warm-up X 15. RPed 2 plates 9, 6, 4, static + stretch.

Decided that with regular lat pulldowns on my A2 day, I wanted to find another exercise than the plate-loaded lat pulldown. My gym just recently added this plate-loaded machine (you guys likely know what I'm refering to here...you lay your stomach down on a pad, with your feet on a platform beneath you, load the plates on a bar right in front of you, and then, gripping either side of the handles attached to the bar, you just pull the weight towards you in a rowing motion). I've always liked this machine because I've always felt like my back width is a weak point, and it seems to help isolate that area. With my lower back injury, I can't execute regular BB rows.

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: I think it's about the only thing I can thank for helping me maintain numbers on some lifts, and gain on others. Like I said, both my rest and diet were lackluster this weekend, so I was expecting much worse. Thanks neogenix, I'm excited to see how neurosurge will continue to help me when everything else IS on point!

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good update. I'm loving it as well :)

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome updates always so thorough. Glad it helped you dang though 20 hours no food is nuts my man.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
I've actually been following LeanGains for damn near a year now man, but my fasting/feeding window is always changing lol. Usually end up breaking my fast anywhere from 5-6pm, and starting it again anywhere from 11pm-midnight.

My training is always fasted, not including the calories from Neurosurge (believe it's 10 or 20 in a serving, not enough to break a fast).

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 10 - Friday, 5/9/12 - B1 Day

Hammies - Lying Leg Curl - Warm up set 70lbs X 15. From there, 160lbs RPed - 11, 6, 4, static/stretch

Worked on slowing my negative on this exercise and I really felt it. Next week I'll be adding 5lbs and seeing if I can hit the same rep numbers. The stretch on the very last set was especially enjoyable (actually it was quite painful, but what's the difference in bodybuilding? lol), and my hammies felt great afterwards. Gotta keep progressing here!

Calves - Seated Calf Raises, Plate loaded. Warm up - 1 plate per side, 30 reps. SSed: 2pps, 30 reps. 2 plates +25 per side, 23 reps. 3pps, 14 reps.

Increasing those reps, slowly but surely. 14 on the last, super-heavy set, as opposed to 12 last week. Barely got it out, but it felt great when I did. I tucked my knees in a bit more this time, and I'm not sure I liked the feeling...felt a bit crushed, and put some unnecessary pressure on my knees. Will be keeping my legs at more of a 90 degree angle as I usually did from now on.

Quads - Quad Extensions, Plate loaded. SSed: 3 plates X 15, 4 plates X 12, 5 plates + 10lbs X 10

Added 10lbs to the last set and felt great. Barely forced out that last rep, but that's the way I like it! First set went up like butter, and I knew that meant is was time to increase that weight! Felt good enough that I'll likely add 10lbs to every set, and then possibly 20 to the last set next week. Teardrop is showing with these quads!

Biceps - Preacher curls. Warm up: 50lbs X 15. RPed - 100lbs 11, 6, 4, static/stretch.

EXTREME focus on the negative portion of the rep today. Same numbers as last week, but my bis are stronger. If I hadn't been putting such a focus on the negative, probably could have managed 110lbs for 9, 5, 3 (just a guess). Forgive me neogenix, but I think I'll be sticking at 100lbs and working on my slow negative. My biceps have always responded so much better to the negative portion of preachers that I just can't see a positive in increasing weight and losing the stretch I get in the negative.

Forearms - One-Arm Reverse Cable Curls - 40lbs - 17 reps per arm. 50lbs - 13 reps per arm. 60lbs - 11 reps per arm.

Hell yeah! Arms felt great (looked pretty awesome too, if I may say so myself!), and I finally bumped the weight for the last set. I was surprised to get 11 reps on each arm at 60lbs, especially because the first rep felt like hell, but I bore it out. Last week I kept it at 50 for the last set and only managed 10 reps, so I am impressed. Will keep the exercise at these weight for now and attempt to add reps...forearms seem to respond much better to volume than to really heavy **** for light reps (too much reliance on bis, in my opinion).

Quad Widowmaker

Plate-Loaded Quad Extensions @ 3 plates. 19 reps, 3 quick breaths, 6 reps, 3 quick breaths, 4 reps, 2 quick breaths, 3 reps, done. Total of 32 repetitions. Had SERIOUS jello-legs after this. Almost fell when I initially got off the machine. Awesome feeling lol.

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Was REALLY feeling it today. Felt just incredible. Was confident and excelled on every lift. My focus was right on point, my energy was there, and I really don't know what else to say...just felt great overall. Still just on one scoop, and I think I'll be keeping it there until I see a real reason to change it up.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 11 - Friday, 5/11/12 - A2 Day

Chest - DB Flys - Warm up set 20lb DBs X 15. RPed set: 45lb DBs 12, 6, 4, static/stretch

Great progress. I know what you're thinkingt..."but you went down in reps." It's all about form here, chaps. I'm getting slower negatives and feeling SO MUCH MORE TEAR in my chest, it's unbelieveable. With higher reps I was finishing sets without too much trouble, but now the last 2-3 reps of each set is a fight to the bloody finish. Great stuff.

Shoulders - DB Presses Warm up set of Arnold Presses 30lb DBs X 12. RPed set: 65lb DBs 8, 4, 3, static.

Alright. I'll switch it. It's not progressing and I don't know what to do. I'm going to lower my weight to 55lb DBs next week and hopefully strive for 15-20 RP reps. ****ing shoulders.

Triceps - Overhead tricep Extension - Warmup: 120lbs X 25. RP - 210lbs X 15, 12, 9

Tried RPing these today instead of SSing them. Felt good, but I think I prefer the SS method when it comes to this sort of tricep exercise. The biggest problem is that, since you're using a cable and thrusting your arm outwards over your head (parallel to the ground), getting into position can be a real bear, and with only 15 breaths, somewhere around 30 seconds, of rest in between sets, my prep was taking way too much strength.

Back Thickness - Lat Pulldowns. Warm up 120 X 15. RPed set: 220lbs 9, 6, 4. 150lbs for long static/stretch

Just bumped up to 220 last week, and I'm happy to say it wasn't a fluke. Lats felt great and had a great pull throughout the exercise, and I think I'll continue to lower the weight for the static/stretch...it let me hold it in the position where I felt the maximum "stretch" for the longest period of time.

Back Width - Sitting Plate-Loaded Rows. 5 plates per side + 25lbs per side, RPed: 12, 7, 4, static/stretch.

Added 2 reps to my starting weight. Honestly felt like I could have taken off the 25s and added another 45 per side. I suppose we shall see on day 15!

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: I've laid out the positives, and they're still working for me. Great focus, endurance, long pump...everything feels great, it's keeping my head solidly in the game. Looking forward to tomorrow's "weak points" workout!

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 12 - Saturday, 5/12/12 - "Weak Aspects" Day

Chest - Incline BB Bench - Warmup with bar X 15. SS: 135 X 13, 185 X 8, 215 X 5, 225 X 1 + long static

Happiness here. Decided to not rep out 15 on my first set to conserve some energy. Went straight for 185 for my second set rather than 175, and nailed 8 reps. Then bumped to 215 (last week 205), and got the same 5 reps I did last week. Felt great. I knew I had more than one rep of 225 in me, but I tend to hate doing 2-3 rep maxes just to "see" how much I can handle (feel like injury is at risk here), so instead I grabbed a spotter and did one solid rep of it followed by a 20ish second static rep, slowly lowering the bar all the way to my chest and getting the spotter to bring it back up at the end. Great stretch, and this entire exercise felt awesome, especially since I completely exhausted my chest yesterday on my A2 day.

Shoulders - Smythe Military Press. Warm up - Bar X 15. Bar + 1 plate per side ("135") X 14, Bar + 1 plate + 15lbs per side X 8, Bar + 1 plate + 20lbs per side X 6

Still have weak shoulders. Feeling better, but still weak as hell. I refuse to pull both of my military-press style movements (this one and then the DB shoulder presses) out of my routine, so I'm going to keep this one for my weak aspects day and switch up the DB Military Press on my A2.

Shoulders/Traps - Front Raises (DBs) supersetted with DB Shrugs. Straight Set - FR @ 25lbs DBs X 48, Shrugs @ 85lb DBs X 15. FR 30lbs DBs X 38, Shrugs @ 85lb DBs X 12. FR @ 35lbs DBs X 26, Shrugs @ 85lb DBs X 10.

Still loving the feel of this superset. Out of any shoulder exercises I do, this is the one that leaves me feeling the most fatigued and my shoulders the most "worked." Definitely recommend this to anyone who can.

Finished with the side raise shoulder machines. Did 95lbs for 15 reps, and then held a 30-second static rep at the end of that set. Was cursing and swearing in my head, but damn was I glad after I was done with it...felt incredible.

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Focus was even there moreso than before. On-point, feeling the stretch in the respective muscles, and loving every minute of it.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Slacker here, read your updates. Still some monster latpulldowns, glad the NeuroSurge is helping you. You have one hell of a log going here sir. Def liking this.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 13 - Monday, 5/14/12 - B2 Day

Dosage: Took one scoop of NeuroSurge, half hour before working out.

Hammies - Sitting Leg Curl - Warm up set 90lbs X 15. From there, 195lbs RPed - 12, 7, 5, static/stretch

Increased weight here, which is always a good sign. Hit the same 12 reps on the first set as I did with 185, but got one less on each proceeding set after that, which is a good tradeoff for adding 10lbs to the exercise. I was happy with this one.

Calves - So this machine was broken. Curses. Hit up some smythe leg raises, but nothing worth writing home about since it was subbed in.

Quads - Horizontal Nautilus Leg Press - Warm-up: 235 X 15. Straight Sets: 335 X 15, 435 X 15, 500 X 12

First time logging this on the thread (last B2 day I recorded my knee was hurt). 500 is actually the max of the machine, so I think I'll be moving off of these soon and maybe just hopping on the regular leg press that you can plate-load. Only issue therein is that I really like getting deep, and a lot of times this causes pain for my injured disk down towards the bottom of my back. We shall see.

Biceps - 21s. 90lbs RPed - 21, 12, 9

Bumped to 90lbs. Took very little rest time between the first two sets, and only managed to get out 10 for the second set. I put the bar down for about 7 seconds and then picked it up and banged out the last two reps. Hurt like hell, but you can't let the bar beat you!

Forearms - Reverse Cable Curls - SSed. 110lbs X 18, 120lbs X 13, 130lbs X 10

In case you missed it, the last time I did these I had just increased the weight, so the fact that the numbers are all roughly the same is a good sign to me. It lets me know I wasn't just having a random "good" day last time, and that I can not only manage these weights, but progress at them as time goes on. I've always felt I had some weak(ish) forearms, so I look with particular interest towards this exercise and my continued ability to progress.

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Felt good today - a bit more stimmed in the head than usual, but I had damn near a full pot of coffee before heading to the gym (boring day in the office lol). Despite feeling good, I won't lie that I felt just slightly weaker than usual - I'm sure you've all had those days where you walk into the gym not feeling like a million bucks. Combination of not enough sleep, a wet walk home last night, and too much coffee haha. Looking forward to a killer A1 day on Wednesday!

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LoL coffee and scoop of NeuroSurge would for sure have someone feeling stimmed out.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Yeah man, I know haha. I work full time during the day in an office (8:30 - 4:30), and then bartend all night. Usually a lot of people in this office drink from the floor's coffee pot, but this week there are like 5 people on vacation (all 5 are big coffee drinkers lol). Despite this, they still brew the same amount of coffee, so I literally have more in there than I could ever drink, and since the constant days from 8:30am til midnight or 1am + workouts start wearing me down a bit, every once in a while I convince myself that stims are the answer.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Those are some brutual hours on the body and still get time in for the gym.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 14 - Wednesday, 5/16/12 - A1 Day

Once again, same numbers. It isn't odd to plateau on an exercise, I just wish I knew the right steps to take to get by it. I feel like to a large degree my arms may be giving out before my chest, so I'm thinking maybe that increasing weight might be a good idea simply to let me chest get a better effect from the reps that I actually do get to complete. I feel like I could probably squeeze out a solid 8, 4, 2 from 100lbers, but at the same time, I might actually get underneath them and find out that's far from the truth lol.

Shoulders - Lateral DB Raises. Straight-setted: 25lb DBs 15, 8, 7.

Bumped my repitions here, and I took the movement nice and slow. Felt a great stretch in my shoulders and a feeling lingering afterwards telling me that I did something right here. Keep it up!

Triceps - Weighted dips. BW + 65lb DB, RPed - 13, 7, 4, BW X 13

Felt great on this, although I REALLY cut my rest time - only about 20-30 seconds in between sets here, which really tore my triceps to pieces. Got down deep as well, basically as far as my arms would allow me...I typically stop right before lockout at the top, unless it's the next from last rep and I feel the need to take a short pause while balancing on my arms before getting that last rep.

Back Thickness - Pullups. BW RPed - 14, 8, 5, static + stretch.

Not much to say - they're pullups lol. My static rep on this one was brutal...full 40 seconds in the halfway position (I call is the Christ Position :eek: ). Back felt plenty fatigued after this.

Back Width - Plate-Loaded T-Bar Row Machine - 1 plate warm-up X 15. RPed 2 plates 10, 6, 4, static + stretch.

Got an extra rep on the first set, but besides that I was just trying to maintain here. Whenever you pick up a new exercise, a lot of times there's a strong desire to just start bumping weight like mad, typically before it's justified, so I'm easing into this slowly, and hopefully I'll be making my way up to another plate (3 plates total) for working reps by the end of the summer.

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Focus focus focus...it's simply there. I was grabbing this workout in between my office job and a metal concert that I had to bartend (always fun fans to deal with lol), and on top of that my headphones for my ipod broke (no music to help focus), so there were a lot of places my mind could have wandered to. However, it was nowhere other than my workout. Still got a couple scoops left, and I will be savoring them!

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice dips man nicely done. Sucky on the headphones breaking and no music is a bummer for sure.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 15 - Friday, 5/18/12 - B1 Day

Hammies - Lying Leg Curl - Warm up set 70lbs X 15. From there, 160lbs RPed - 12, 7, 4, static/stretch

Just like last week, my primary focus here was really slowing the movement down and feeling the stretch throughout the entire exercise. Felt great...some of the last reps weren't as complete as I hoped they would be (the positive rep), but I never let that compromise the concentration on the negative.

Calves - Seated Calf Raises, Plate loaded. Warm up - 1 plate per side, 30 reps. SSed: 2pps, 30 reps. 2 plates +25 per side, 23 reps. 3pps, 14 reps.

Same numbers as last week, but I am more than perfectly fine with that. To be honest, my calves typically dwarf the rest of my body, so I try and not have them grow too fast!

Quads - Quad Extensions, Plate loaded. SSed: 3 plates +20lbs X 15, 4 plates + 20lbs X 12, 5 plates + 20lbs X 10

Felt very confident on these. Sometimes in the last set, you go for that first rep and it feels so heavy that you feel some energy just drain out of you, but not today. Everything just felt very fluent and exactly as I intended it.

Biceps - Preacher curls. Warm up: 50lbs X 15. RPed - 100lbs 12, 7, 4, static/stretch.

Damn Gina. This is what I'm talking about. I even managed these reps with a very long negative in between each one. Bis felt absolutely torn apart afterwards - will be bumping to 110lbs the next time my B1 day rolls around.

Forearms - One-Arm Reverse Cable Curls - 40lbs - 18 reps per arm. 50lbs - 13 reps per arm. 60lbs - 12 reps per arm.

Took a LONG break before doing these. My arms felt so fatigued that I knew hopping right onto them after only 2 or 3 minutes of rest after the preachers was an awful idea. Took a good 6-7 minutes, and then felt much better on them, although I would say the fatigue in my bis still technically limited them. Last set was heavy as hell!

Quad Widowmaker

Plate-Loaded Quad Extensions @ 3 plates + 20lbs. 18 reps, 3 quick breaths, 5 reps, 3 quick breaths, 4 reps, 2 quick breaths, 3 reps, done. Total of 30 repetitions. Felt awesome lol.

IMPRESSION OF NEUROSURGE: Focus, recovery, endurance, energy...it was all there today. Felt incredible...makes me sad I'm getting near to the bottom of the tub :(

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm dang near out as well. Sad times!

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Indeed. Kind of wish I hadn't used a few scoops for studying during finals, but then again I got great grades so I guess I gotta sacrifice some workout focus!

But just an FYI - this week I will be cruising. And no, not to the Bahamas, I mean that this is my cruise week from DC. That means my workouts will be a bit more conventional and dialed down on intensity, using some lower weights, to help my CNS fully recover for my next blast! I will still be taking neurosurge and logging it though, don't worry, just won't have any progress on the workouts I've been posting.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 16 - Monday, 5/21/12 - 1st Cruise Day

Dosage: 1 Scoop of Neurosurge 30 minutes before working out.

Decided that for this week I would do a Monday, Wednesday, Friday split hitting each body part once. Monday is Chest/Shoulders/Tris, Wednesday will be Back Width/Thickness and Bis/Forearms, and finally Friday will be Quads/Hammies/Calves.

Chest - Incline BB Bench: Warm-up - Bar X 15. Straight sets: 115 X 12, 135 X 10, 155 X 8

Again, intensity is down and so are the weights for this week - this is just to give my body a rest and let it settle a bit before starting another blast. This exercises felt good, it was nice to be able to rack the weights before hitting failure like I usually do lol, walked away with more energy than usual.

Chest - DB Flys - 30lb DBs X 15, 30lb DBs X 12, 30lb DBs X 10

Good stuff here. Obviously not pushing this as hard as usual (want to be especially careful on these because recently my shoulder has felt ever-so-slightly sensitive at the bottom of each rep), but taking it slow and really pushing the reps out was surprisingly pump-inducing. Even though I didn't feel terribly fatigued and I was keeping my heart rate down, my body still really felt like it was getting a workout, which is always a relief.

Shoulders - Seated Smythe Press - Warm-up: Bar X 15 Straight set: 25lbs per side X 20, 35lbs per side X 15, 40lbs per side X 12

Not too much to say here - kept the movement light and didn't push too hard towards the end - was probably anywhere from 3-5 reps away from failure when I stopped most sets, so I accomplished what I wanted herein.

Triceps - Overhead Cable Extensions - 130lbs X 25, 140lbs X 25, 150lbs X 22

Went way lighter on these than I thought I was lol. Usually I start my first set around 190 and go up 10lbs each set from there, so I thought that starting roughly 60lbs lighter than normal would be efficient. Ended up being much too light, but I was glad to have an exercise focused on significant volume in relation to my arms: go a bit too heavy and you wind up with a pumping heart rate, which I was certainly trying to avoid today.

Triceps - Dips: BW X 30, BW X 17, BW X 11

Been a long time since I started with my body weight from the get-go rather than adding weight immediately. I was actually impressed with the 30 reps I got at first, but I pushed it a bit too hard. Felt considerably fatigued with a raised pulse, so I took a good 2-minute rest before the second set and dialed back on repetitions so that I didn't wind up back in DC-mode lol.

Impression of Neurosurge: Wondering if Neurosurge helped with the pump I found I had afterwards. Usually to get a pump I need to go pretty hard on my movements, but going with more volume and much lighter weights, I found that at the end of the workout I felt incredibly firm, tight, and pumped. This was especially nice because I tend to hate cruise weeks (no one likes lifting a lot less than they usually do lol), but at the end of the workout I felt like I had hit a regular workout and really exhausted myself, even though I still had plenty of energy. Either way, it felt great, and if neurosurge is indeed to blame, I will blame is with glee lol.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As always detailed and good enjoyable log. LoL least it helped you study though.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 17 - Wednesday, 5/23/12 - 2nd Cruise Day

Today was Back Width/Thickness and Bis/Forearms.

Back Width - Sitting Hammer-Strength Rows: SS; 1 plate + 25 per side X 20, 2 plates + 25 per side X 18, 3 plates per side X 15

While in my blast, I do my each lat separately for this movement, but I decided to combine them for this cruise week. I must say, I really like the stretch I was feeling from it, although it definitely had a more noticeable strain on my lower back, since typically you lean forward a bit at the end of each negative, and then lean back during the positive.

Back Thickness - Hammer Strength Lat Pulldowns: SS; 1 plate per side X 20, 1 plate + 25 per side X 17, 2 plates per side X 14

Typically for the cruise week I'm trying to hit 50-60% of the working set I do during my blast, so typically for this exercise I do 3 plates + 20lbs per side, meaning that working up to 2 plates was just about right. Felt good, although not really entirely that challenging...I hate ending sets when I still have energy to keep going lol.

Biceps - Preacher Curls: SS; 40lbs X 20, 50lbs X 18, 60lbs X 15

This felt really good. Not sure why lol, might be because my bis were already a bit worked from the two previous exercises, but afterwards my bis felt seriously pumped, despite not working them to exhaustion. They also felt very lean, if that makes any sense...when I touched them, it was just rock-hard, hardly seemed like there was skin covering it lol.

Forearms - Reverse Cable Curls 50lbs X 20, 60lbs X 18, 70lbs X 15

Okay, at this point my entire body felt pumped. Looked that way too (I'm not the type to check myself out in a mirror, but I catch a glimpse occasionally during my workouts, typically checking myself for form). Even my chest felt full. Arms felt like they wanted to pop out, and I STILL wasn't working myself to anywhere near exhaustion! This stuff is confusing haha, not sure why my body seems to ready to be pumped with light weight and more reps, along with considerably less exhaustion. Maybe my CNS is just really glad to have a break.

Back/Bis - BW Chins: 10, 7, 7

Close-grip on these. I've known people to use close-grip chins as a bicep exercise, and I figured since it usually hits your back pretty well too, I may as well finish off with these. Again, not pushing myself to failure, but probably within 2-3 reps each set. Remember, I'm taking longer rest times too, hence the ability to hit 7 reps twice lol.

Impression of Neurosurge: Don't even know what to say...is there anything in this product that's supposed to promote ridiculous pumps? All I know is that I'm getting them during a cruise week (typically no pumps), and I am digging them! They're the type that won't prevent you from doing more exercises, but just make you feel like some king of monster while you train. Judging by the bottle, it looks like Friday may be my last day for this log. Let's see if the pumps keep up for a leg day!

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Day 18 - Friday, 5/25/12 - 3rd Cruise Day

Today was Calves/Hammies/Quads

Hammies - Laying Leg Curl - Warm-up 50lbs X 15, then 75lbs X 15, 85lbs X 13, 95lbs X 12

I went a bit over 50% of my usual max for this (usually around 165), but the reps were coming quite smooth and I felt the need to continue bumping the increments of 10lbs. Buttery smooth, can't wait to hit up my Hammies in my next blast!

Calves - Sitting Calf Raise: 1 pps X 25, 1p + 25ps X 20, 1p + 35ps X 18

Despite this being a cruise day, I decided that for this exercise I would take the negative very slowly, since it's a lot less weight than I usually lift. Although this likely resulted in more of a stretch than perhaps some would want for a cruise day, it let me walk away from the exercise really feeling like I had done something beneficial for the growth of my calves, while still not taking it too hard and really tearing them to pieces.

Quads - Leg Extensions 1 plate X 20, 2 plates X 16, 3 plates X 12

Not much to say here. I usually work my way up to 5 plates, which is heavy as ****, so anything below that makes my legs breath a sigh of relief lol. Felt a pretty solid pump after these, regardless. Once again made sure to take the negative repetition at a slower rate, with an explosive positive.

Hammies - Sitting Leg Curl: Warmup - 50lbs X 20 Working set: 80lbs X 18, 90lbs X 15, 100lbs X 12

Wanted to hit up one more movement for my hammies, because out of the three groups I felt that they were feeling the least "worked". This one did the trick - good, mild pump and a good stretch as well.

???? - Hip Adduction: Don't even remember the weight I did lol. Just saw the machine and felt I would like to do one more movement. This is the one that feels like it works the lines leading down into your crotch :eek: Haven't done any movement like this in the past few months, so I suppose it felt nice lol.

Impression of Neurosurge: Same as you heard last time - great focus and energy, and I'm still getting these subtle pumps despite not wearing myself out this week, which is really awesome lol. Maybe it's some sort of muscle memory, but who knows - it just might be the neurosurge!

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got to love the muscle memory. I've been slacking in the gym but i just need to get out of my funk and push myself back into shape.