Sustain Alpha-LV and TCF-1 Log (unsponsored)

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
My log last year was interrupted by a knee injury, which ended up being much worse than I originally thought. What I thought was just a tweaked knee ended up being a grade II tear of my medial meniscus. I was fortunate that the MCL wasn't damaged, but this damn thing took well over 3 months before it felt right. I lost a lot of strength in my lower body and wasn't able to train a lot of my upper body lifts (e.g. BB rows, standing military) either since I didn't have a stable base. It's been about 6 months since then and my lifts are close to where they once were.

Starting Stats:
6'
210 lbs
~10%

Lifts:
Floor Press: 245x5
Squats: 405x5
Deadlifts: 455x5 (this is still not back to where it was)
BP: 315x8
Standing Military: 185x5
Good Morning: 225x3

I'm using DeFranco's WS4SB, which I pretty much year-round, for my training and am having to play around with my actual training days, but am still hitting the gym 4x/week.

TCF-1 will be the full dose daily and the SA-LV will be the full dose on the 5/2 schedule.

Let the fun begin...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed. What lifts are you doing for your ME (or are you just sticking to what you have listed)?

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
For upper, I'm using floor press, flat bench, and foam presses (half foam roller since I don't have boards; it's roughly a 2 board). For lower, I stick with squats, deads, box squats, and good mornings.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For upper, I'm using floor press, flat bench, and foam presses (half foam roller since I don't have boards; it's roughly a 2 board). For lower, I stick with squats, deads, box squats, and good mornings.
Nice selection.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I'm still getting used to the technique of floor presses (haven't done them in years), so I fully expect that to increase next time I hit them.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What grip do you take? Pinkies on the rings, index finger, etc.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
What grip do you take? Pinkies on the rings, index finger, etc.
Pinkies on the rings. I use that same grip for bench as well. I can put the weight on my lats and spread the bar better with a slightly more narrow grip compared to the legally wide grip.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Today begins the ride. Took my first dose of TCF-1 (which is muy yummy) and SA-LV this morning with breakfast. Waited about an hour an hit the gym.

Max Effort Upper
Floor press-worked up to 255x3
BB Rows-275x12x4
Flat DB press-80x12x4
DB shrugs/facepulls: 120x15x4/160x15x4

I felt pretty good today. I was off due to Columbus Day and slept in more than usual. All the weights felt smooth and didn't have any nagging aches or tightness today. So far, so good on this run. Tomorrow is some light cardio and Wednesday is ME Lower (Oly squat).

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I've done 275x3, but that was well over a year ago when I was at my strongest.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Today was some light cardio. Nothing really to report (good or bad). I'm pretty sore from yesterday, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know what you mean on squats. I can never predict when I will have a great day or an awful day. My lower back/core are what hold me back a lot of times.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today begins the ride. Took my first dose of TCF-1 (which is muy yummy) and SA-LV this morning with breakfast. Waited about an hour an hit the gym.

Max Effort Upper
Floor press-worked up to 255x3
BB Rows-275x12x4
Flat DB press-80x12x4
DB shrugs/facepulls: 120x15x4/160x15x4

I felt pretty good today. I was off due to Columbus Day and slept in more than usual. All the weights felt smooth and didn't have any nagging aches or tightness today. So far, so good on this run. Tomorrow is some light cardio and Wednesday is ME Lower (Oly squat).
nice looking split bud, and TCF-1 is like candy

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
10/12: ME Lower

Oly Squats: worked up to 405x4
SLDL: 275x10x4
Hanging Leg Raises: BWx12x5

I felt great today. My original plan was to work up to a single or double of 425, but I stayed with 405 and nearly hit a PR. I had a nice surge of aggression prior to training and it held throughout this workout. I haven't done SLDL in awhile, so I focused on tight technique and a big stretch in the hamstrings. So far, so good.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Light cardio yesterday. Did a DE upper session today and will update tomorrow.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
10/14: DE Upper
Flat Bench (monster minis): 165x2x9 (3 regular, 3 moderate, 3 CG
DB Rows: 130x15x5
Facepulls/DB Shrugs: 160x15x5/110x15x5
JM Press: 185x12, 185x12, 205x8
First time using the monster minis for a DE session. I usually use either the minis or lights, but I didn't get enough out of the minis and getting the lights outs of the hooks was a bitch. Felt very smooth with great speed on the bar on all sets (took about 2 minutes between).

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it's the EFS bands.

10/16: DE Lower

Box Squats (lights): 275x1x10
GHR: BWx12x5
Decline Situps: BW+45x12x5

Quick session to work on power. I'm a bit behind on logging, but I'll get it up to date tomorrow. I did an ME Upper today with my ME movement being weighted chins to give my anterior bicep tendons a break.

So far, I've noticed extra oil on my forehead and back with a bit of extra aggression throughout the day. Nothing uncontrollable, but I can feel a difference.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hw much rest between sets did you take on the box squats?

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
10/18: ME Upper
Chins: BW+25x5, BW+35x5, BW+45x3, BW+45x3
Dips: BW+45x15x3
BB Rows: 275x12x5
BB Shrugs/Side Laterals: 365x12x4/35x12x4
Preacher Curls: 30x12x3

This was the first time I did weighted chins in ages and decided to throw them into the rotation since my shoulders were a little beat up from the band training. I hoped to get BW+35x3, but I far exceeded my expectations as the BW+45x3 were both smooth sets. Everything else went as planned and it was a great session overall.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
10/20: ME Lower
Low Box Squats: 315x3, 335x3
Unilateral Leg Press (weight added): 270x10, 360x10, 360x10, 360x10
Glute-Hams: BW+10x12x5
Decline Situps: BW+45x15x5

First time I've thrown these as my ME in the rotation and it was extremely different. I used the 12" plyo box and added some padding to make it about 16" depth. The low box really forces you to flair the legs and make sure to push your chest forward. I enjoyed the novelty of it, but I'll have to use it a few more times before it becomes a permanent part.

So far, I'm really like the stack. Appetite is up and I'm noticing some big increase in oil, but not an increase in acne. Sleep is a bit more restful and my recovery is up.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
10/22: DE Upper
Bench: 185x2x9 (3 wide, 3 moderate, 3 close)
Bent row: 275x12x5
DB shoulder press: 90x12x3
Facepulls: 180x15x5
Tate press: 45x10x4

I like to vary up the loads on my dynamic work for different speed loads. I like to use the bands the most, but they have the most wear and tear on my body. Still going strong with the stack and really starting to see some great improvements in mood and recovery.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I can't really say right now. GF is out of town and have been pretty busy at work, too.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think that I react negatively to trans-res as it kills my libido. The two products that I've used with it (Stoked and SA) have both killed my libido, which blows since it has so many benefits.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think that I react negatively to trans-res as it kills my libido. The two products that I've used with it (Stoked and SA) have both killed my libido, which blows since it has so many benefits.
You and FPR from the home forum both seem to have this reaction to it.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
A little behind on this log. I skipped my DE session due to my knee flaring up a bit this week. It's nothing too big, but I don't want to exacerbate it.

10/27: ME Upper
Close grip bench: worked up to 285x3
DB rows: 130x15x4
Flat DB press: 100x8x4
JM press: 185x12x4
Facepulls: 180x15x5

I felt damn good on this day. I did some extra warm up and took smaller jumps in weight to get in more volume on the close grip. I haven't done them in awhile, but they felt really good and smooth. I'm starting to notice that I'm drier, but not getting any joint issues from it (the knee issue is recurring and not from this). I have about 1/2 of SA left and about 1/3 left on the TCF-1.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
10/30: ME Lower

Deads: Worked up to 475x2
SLDL: 285x12x4
BB lunges: 185x10x3
Ab wheel: 10x4

I hoped to get a triple on 475 this day, but I wasn't mentally ready for it. I'm developing a mental block on deads as I have struggled with them for some time now. Everything else went smoothly, though, and I'm up about 4 lbs on the scale with only a 300-500 cal increase each day.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice weight gain. Whenever going for a new weight/amount of reps, I always consider the mental side of things the first hurdle.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Nice weight gain. Whenever going for a new weight/amount of reps, I always consider the mental side of things the first hurdle.
Completely agree. I've also noticed that I tend to struggle with hitting new weights during the colder months. I'm not sure why.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
11/1: DE Upper

Dips/Pullups: BW+45x15x3/BWx15x3
Seated DB extensions: 100x12x4
BB rows: 275x12, 295x12x3
BB curls/BB Shrugs: 95x12x3/365x15x3

I decided to switch gears and go for more of a repetition day instead of a true dynamic effort. I used to do dips much more frequently, but I have gotten away from them for some reason. They felt good on this day and kept the reps high to flush some blood into the muscle and go for more of a hypertrophy day. I'll bring back the true DE next week, but I will probably rotate these days and have a session like this every 3-4 weeks depending on time, rest, mood, etc.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know exactly what you mean by the mental block. I have the exact same thing with bench, which I know is holding me back.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
11/1: DE Upper

Dips/Pullups: BW+45x15x3/BWx15x3
Seated DB extensions: 100x12x4
BB rows: 275x12, 295x12x3
BB curls/BB Shrugs: 95x12x3/365x15x3

I decided to switch gears and go for more of a repetition day instead of a true dynamic effort. I used to do dips much more frequently, but I have gotten away from them for some reason. They felt good on this day and kept the reps high to flush some blood into the muscle and go for more of a hypertrophy day. I'll bring back the true DE next week, but I will probably rotate these days and have a session like this every 3-4 weeks depending on time, rest, mood, etc.
I love dips, have to take a break though every once in awhile or they start to irritate my shoulder