Protein

JD Intl

JD Intl

Awards
I am looking for the most protein per serving in protein powder the best I could find so far is ON’s Pro Complex with 60g’s per serving. Anyone know of any others that even comes close to that?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Once you go past 40g per service your just wasting. My opinion.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The way they have 60g per serving is that it's 2 large scoops; so it's really more like 30.

What kind of protein are you looking for? Whey isolate? Whey blend? Overall blend? I personally like each of these for different times/purposes. And isolate is going to have the most protein per concentration.

JD Intl

JD Intl

Awards
Yea your body can only process 30-40 grams at a time
I did some research on this and found that some say take in as much as you can in one sitting and others say take no more than 100g’s in per hour…. Guess I will take no more than 60gs seen as how I still need to use up this ON I have then I will probably drop it down to 40g’s or so per serving… Thanks for the input!

JD Intl

JD Intl

Awards
The way they have 60g per serving is that it's 2 large scoops; so it's really more like 30.

What kind of protein are you looking for? Whey isolate? Whey blend? Overall blend? I personally like each of these for different times/purposes. And isolate is going to have the most protein per concentration.

Yeah i like Isolate the most but Whey is the best but the worst tasting.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
KatyMarie had it - the body can only utilize 40g at a given time. The rest is spilled over. There may be instances when 60g could be the threshold but Im pretty sure that person is about 290 and on cycle.

For someone, like yourself, at 5'11" and 165... you're looking at 30-40g per meal.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
KatyMarie had it - the body can only utilize 40g at a given time. The rest is spilled over. There may be instances when 60g could be the threshold but Im pretty sure that person is about 290 and on cycle.

For someone, like yourself, at 5'11" and 165... you're looking at 30-40g per meal.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established

Very debated topic. If your talking about whey I may agree. But i would strongly disagree if your talking about a blend or getting protein from food sources. I am not saying eat all your protein for the day in one meal but to come to a general consensus that your body can only handle 40g of protein at a time just isn't a realistic statement.

The reason this topic is so debated is because everyone has different metabolisms, digestion speeds, and nutritional needs. OP you need to find what works best for you.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I see what your sayin and yeah you could debate it based on those factors- ill agree to an extent. All said and done, though, its very difficult for me to believe someone can utilize 60g in one sitting.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Casein can absorb over 8 hours. What difference is 60 g at once or 20g split every 4 hours? Also get most of my casein from cottage cheese, Greek yogert, milk not a shake (though approx 20g from powder)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What do you mean by "wasted"

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to get isolate wasted!
Well what happens to the protein? If I eat a steak with 100g protein, then 70g protein just vanish? Or what? What is the reasoning that this 70g of protein get "wasted" and can not be utilized by the body? The idea that anything I eat that is over 30g of protein has zero effect and the body can't use is just insane. This is one of those vampire beliefs, a belief that just wont die

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Well what happens to the protein? If I eat a steak with 100g protein, then 70g protein just vanish? Or what? What is the reasoning that this 70g of protein get "wasted" and can not be utilized by the body? The idea that anything I eat that is over 30g of protein has zero effect and the body can't use is just insane. This is one of those vampire beliefs, a belief that just wont die

Maybe it's that protein itself vanishes after 3 hours like a magic trick. And you can only absorb 30-40g until it magically disappears.... As I sit here eating 2.5 cups cottage cheese.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Obviously unused nutrient/caloric intake doesnt just vanish if not being used otherwise obesity wouldnt exist. What Im saying is it gets "wasted" as in not utilized in a method of protein synthesis instead goes to be converted into stored energy in adipose tissue. I get the point behind casein taking time to break down...ok, maybe your on to something.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Obviously unused nutrient/caloric intake doesnt just vanish if not being used otherwise obesity wouldnt exist. What Im saying is it gets "wasted" as in not utilized in a method of protein synthesis instead goes to be converted into stored energy in adipose tissue. I get the point behind casein taking time to break down...ok, maybe your on to something.
I am all about mixing protein sources due to different amino acid profiles as well.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Theres a lot of benefits to that. Apparently very effective in a postworkout scenario.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Orgin of the Vampire belief by Lyle McDonald

“The 30 g/meal thing has been around for decades, much older than the 1997 paper. A few gut hunches on where it came from.

1. Marketing: I base this on the fact that the value has changed over the years. When Met-RX sold products with 30 grams protein, 30 g/meal was the cutoff. When they moved to 42 g/meal, 42 grams was the cutoff. Weider probably did it before then.

2. Bodybuilders looking to rationalize their desire to eat lots of mini-meals after the fact. So take an average male bodybuilder, 180 lbs eating 1 g/lb who has decided that 6 meals/day is optimal and....

3. Even there, I think Gironda had written this. It probably came out of some bull**** paper in the 50's that was taken out of context and just got repeated long enough to become dogmatic truth.”

So that’s that.
Examples of evidence

Splanchnic and leg substrate exchange after ingestion of a natural mixed meal in humans.

It is concluded that in human subjects, 1) the absorption of a natural mixed meal is still incomplete at 5 h after ingestion; 2) HGP is only marginally and tardily inhibited; 3) splanchnic and peripheral tissues contribute to the disposal of meal carbohydrate to approximately the same extent; 4) the splanchnic area transfers >30% of the ingested proteins to the systemic circulation; and 5) after meal ingestion, skeletal muscle takes up BCAA to replenish muscle protein stores.

PMID:10331398
Protein feeding pattern does not affect protein retention in young women

No significant effects of the protein feeding pattern were detected on either whole-body protein turnover [5.5 +/- 0.2 vs. 6.1 +/- 0.3 g protein/(kg fat-free mass. d) for spread and pulse pattern, respectively] or whole-body protein synthesis and protein breakdown. Thus, in young women, these protein feeding patterns did not have significantly different effects on protein retention.

PMID:10867039
Protein pulse feeding improves protein retention

....were fed for 14 d either a pulse diet (n = 7), providing 80% of the daily protein intake at 1200, or a spread diet (n = 8), in which the same daily protein intake was spread over 4 meals. Both diets provided 1.7 g protein x kg fat-free mass (FFM)(-1) x d(-1). Protein accretion and daily protein turnover were determined by using the nitrogen balance method and the end product method (ammonia and urea) after an oral dose of [15N]glycine.....Nitrogen balance was more positive with the pulse than with the spread diet (54 +/- 7 compared with 27 +/- 6 mg N x kg FFM(-1) x d(-1); P < 0.05). Protein turnover rates were also higher with the pulse than with the spread diet (5.58 +/- 0.22 compared with 4.98 +/- 0.17 g protein x kg FFM(-1) x d(-1); P < 0.05), mainly because of higher protein synthesis in the pulse group (4.48 +/- 0.19 g protein x kg FFM(-1) x d(-1)) than in the spread group (3.75 +/- 0.19 g protein x kg FFM(-1) x d(-1)) (P < 0.05).....A protein pulse-feeding pattern was more efficient than was a protein spread-feeding pattern in improving, after 14 d, whole-body protein retention ....

PMID:10357740
Intermittent fasting does not affect whole-body glucose, lipid, or protein metabolism.

No differences in body weight were observed between the IF and SD groups. Peripheral glucose uptake and hepatic insulin sensitivity during the clamp did not significantly differ between the IF and SD groups. Likewise, lipolysis and proteolysis were not different between the IF and SD groups. IF decreased resting energy expenditure. IF had no effect on the phosphorylation of AKT but significantly increased the phosphorylation of glycogen synthase kinase. Phosphorylation of mTOR was significantly lower after IF than after the SD.

PMID:19776143

(101 g protein in a 4-hour window, there was no difference in preservation of lean mass and muscle protein between if and standard diet groups
*More of Lyle Mcdonald on the issue here -> http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-pt1.html

and here -> http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-part-2.html

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Im sold... good post.